• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Hylian7

for a second I thought you were talking about undertale
RPLxLUI.gif

SMT is an excellent series though and you might enjoy it.

TUSR

Banned
Guys, I saw a used Vita for 120$~ last week, I have not owned a handheld since the brick back when I was a tiny, full haired accountant. Is this dead system worth buying for anything other than gravity rush?
buying a vita is the final step in becoming anime

FACE

Banned
Guys, I saw a used Vita for 120$~ last week, I have not owned a handheld since the brick back when I was a tiny, full haired accountant. Is this dead system worth buying for anything other than gravity rush?

Monster Monpiece

Kappa

Edit: Do not google at work or near other humans.

Dreavus

How soon people forget the old chest system and the faceless rex crapshoot that happened this summer. Valve has always been into this because the gamblers fallacy is an incredible money making tool.

Faceless Rex was easier to ignore for me personally. But now instead of just one item, all the compendium coin stuff is all operating under that system.

I mean if your trying to collect everything it literally turns into a "coupon collector's problem". Repeats suuuuuck.

t0rment

i'm not buying any major compendiums, fuck gating sets behind a paywall. also, they dont fix the fps drops, great coders you have there valve.

Monster Monpiece

Kappa

Edit: Do not google at work or near other humans.

"The "extreme rub" system requires players to stroke both sides of the PlayStation Vita in order to seal the card and remove the clothing from the character in the card."

i3IfafU.gif

Kade

Every time I see the Vita section at a store I remember why I got rid of mine. Persona is my limit for anime teens. If I rebuy one it'll only be to play Valkyria Chronicles II and Jeanne d'Arc again.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

no

long answer

what the hell is wrong with you

I bought a vita in the hopes that kanji and naoto would fuck in golden. Let me tell you how much of a big idiot I felt like.

why would you play shitsona 4 instead of its superior prequel in the first place
invoker-laugh.gif

and ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nocturne shits on both for starry highs

decent buy if you want to play games on the go. If you don't value portability pretty highly I wouldn't really encourage getting one. Can do the good ol' "how many exclusives do I want" test, but really the appeal is in portable ports.

JC Sera

SMT is an excellent series though and you might enjoy it.
I tried devil survivor
I beat it
and then found out what you had to do for other endings and its like wow nope

it was ok
I liked the fusing mechanism
I rather FF:TA combat on an isometric grid

edit: ooo 3DS is something I can actually play on
if I had money
imagine if I actually got payed for shilling undertale
www.terribleideas.org/gettemmoney/
bruh marketing at NeoGAF dot com is Terms of Service OFFENSE according to Evilore!!
modbot will never catch me alive

and I already played all of devlovers games on my pc so I can't fall back on that either! At least its a better netflix machine than my phone
And to think you could have just played Nocturne on a PS2 or PSN...
clock-eyebrow.gif
I don't wanna play another 50 hour game. fuck that
why would you play shitsona 4 instead of its superior prequel in the first place
invoker-laugh.gif

Funny thing I already own 2 copies of p3. One of the vita and a ps2 copy. I got 2 hours into portable and realized that cut scenes added a lot to that game so I got a ps2 copy, got up to the first boss and I got spoiled so I dropped it.

Hylian7

I tried devil survivor
I beat it
and then found out what you had to do for other endings and its like wow nope

it was ok
I liked the fusing mechanism
I rather FF:TA combat on an isometric grid

Devil Survivor is good but not the main SMT series. I consider it more like trying the type of storyline from mainline SMT games but with a different genre (strategy RPG). I encourage you to try one of the mainline or mainline-ish games. To clear up the confusion, that consists of these:

Shin Megami Tensei I
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If...
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (released as SMT: Lucifer's Call outside of the US and Japan)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei IV
And of course soon to be Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

The early entries of the series can be kind of frustrating to get into if you're new to the series, since they were those types of games that relied on you having the instruction manual, and of course since the original was in Japanese, you won't have one.

Good places to start would be with these games:

Nocturne/Lucifer's Call - Best game in the series in my opinion, and many other fans' opinons. Can be kind of difficult and really blindside you if you don't know what you're doing, but after the first couple of boss battles you should start to understand it. Best atmosphere, storyline, characters, the whole nine yards. The only thing another game beats it in is music, and that category goes to SMTIV.

SMTIV - More accessible, does forgo some mechanics from the series such as moon phases, and makes some aspects less tedious. This one lets you save anywhere, a feature often criticized, especially with the way the game handles death by letting you buy back to where you were with Macca (currency) or 3DS Play Coins. You could always circumvent this by saving right before a major boss fight, and then if you die just reset.

Strange Journey - Debatable if you want to start with this one or not. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, however it can get very tedious at some points. The fifth sector has what's considered one of the most frustrating maps in a dungeon crawler. That sector also has a boss that is ridiculously difficult, and even by SMT standards ridiculously difficult. It does introduce mechanics fairly well though and isn't reliant on you bringing previous knowledge of the series to be able to get through it.

JC Sera

Devil Survivor is good but not the main SMT series. I consider it more like trying the type of storyline from mainline SMT games but with a different genre (strategy RPG). I encourage you to try one of the mainline or mainline-ish games. To clear up the confusion, that consists of these:

Shin Megami Tensei I
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If...
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (released as SMT: Lucifer's Call outside of the US and Japan)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei IV
And of course soon to be Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

The early entries of the series can be kind of frustrating to get into if you're new to the series, since they were those types of games that relied on you having the instruction manual, and of course since the original was in Japanese, you won't have one.

Good places to start would be with these games:

Nocturne/Lucifer's Call - Best game in the series in my opinion, and many other fans' opinons. Can be kind of difficult and really blindside you if you don't know what you're doing, but after the first couple of boss battles you should start to understand it. Best atmosphere, storyline, characters, the whole nine yards. The only thing another game beats it in is music, and that category goes to SMTIV.

SMTIV - More accessible, does forgo some mechanics from the series such as moon phases, and makes some aspects less tedious. This one lets you save anywhere, a feature often criticized, especially with the way the game handles death by letting you buy back to where you were with Macca (currency) or 3DS Play Coins. You could always circumvent this by saving right before a major boss fight, and then if you die just reset.

Strange Journey - Debatable if you want to start with this one or not. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, however it can get very tedious at some points. The fifth sector has what's considered one of the most frustrating maps in a dungeon crawler. That sector also has a boss that is ridiculously difficult, and even by SMT standards ridiculously difficult. It does introduce mechanics fairly well though and isn't reliant on you bringing previous knowledge of the series to be able to get through it.

the trouble is more platform and $$$ rather than willing mess to play

Hylian7

the trouble is more platform and $$$ rather than willing mess to play

3DS will get you access to a ton of games in the series, but PS2 and PS3 aren't bad either. I believe all of the PS2 SMT games are available on PSN for download. Nocturne can usually be found for pretty cheap in physical form: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024W1U6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dunno if that will apply to Austrailia or be the same price there, but hopefully it's easy to get a hold of there too.

JC Sera

3DS will get you access to a ton of games in the series, but PS2 and PS3 aren't bad either. I believe all of the PS2 SMT games are available on PSN for download. Nocturne can usually be found for pretty cheap in physical form: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024W1U6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dunno if that will apply to Austrailia or be the same price there, but hopefully it's easy to get a hold of there too.
ok look, a $10 game like undertale is actually kinda all I afford games wise
I have no income at the moment

also australian postage is a new hell

Wok

Game is hard for a Slark: I pounce to escape and I still have people chasing me all over the map, with blinks and stuns on ridiculously low cooldowns.

QaCsNXW.png
Bp6rsq6.png

Even with BKB, refresher, I could not not kill all of them within twice the duration of BKB+Shadow Dance... so 18 seconds and I could only bring two of them down.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1845667571

persona "4 hours until the first battle".

besides i never liked games that suck the mc's dick so much like persona 4, fire emblem awakening and upcoming fire emblem

Persona 4 always felt more like a visual novel to me, and yes Nocturne is to the series what Anime is to EE, nothing has come close yet for me.

Game is hard for a Slark: I pounce to escape and I still have people chasing me all over the map, with blinks and stuns on ridiculously low cooldowns.

QaCsNXW.png
Bp6rsq6.png

Even with BKB, refresher, I could not not kill all of them within twice the duration of BKB+Shadow Dance... so 18 seconds and I could only bring two of them down.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1845667571

Slark was op when supports and overall INT heroes were food in the late game. Now the distinction between "carry" and "no carry" is pretty blur so most people refer to the position or "core".

Manaless blink introduced, cheap and annoying items like glimmer, increased gold from assists means supports will get their core items most of the time. AOE heroes like lesh/earthshaker/lina being fotm mean slark ult wasn't as OP it was before.

manfestival

i swear, slarks existence is the bane of my dota 2 experience. he literally is anti fun the hero. I must have a like 20% win ratio against him

Top Bottom