• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take Aim + Impetus is pretty overpowered lol. I got that last night and it made laning a nightmare for the enemy (I was solo offlane Windrunner with Surge too so I got to 6 easily).

The one issue I found was that manually casting Impetus uses the casting range, not my extended range. Autocasting it worked fine.

Razzer

If anyone gets the chance try Untouchable plus berserker's blood. I imagine it would be just slightly good. And as you have Ench might as well get Impetus as well.

manfestival

Gyro was ganking and split pushing like a mofo, had like 250 damage midgame.
Luckily we won every teamfight pretty hard.

I thought me and Tree would get kills (and we kinda did) in lane, but Tree armor + Dragons Blood is almost unkillable. Also global TP isnt that great unless you have a wave clear to split push, at least I did gank a couple times. Tree took all my LH in lane :(

R7aF3OU.png

I went 29-9-dont remember as fury swipes , venomous gale, and chemical rage medusa

it was beautiful but we still lost

shira

May have been mentioned but what's "offering"? All it says is it'll take items and give you wealth but what wealth? Items? Is it worth dumping anything I might not use into the offering?

Edit: Seems like it's been asked a few times on this page. Hopefully we can get an answer!

How does the offering work? I put some items there, now what, just wait?

edit: what he said^

4680-10.png

lei of the peace bringer
makeshift sword of the reaper
recluse reef denizen
the commodore's gaiters

Nah. Nobody knows, thats the whole point.

Do RAD games still count for win/losses? Been like 20 updates since the patch game out.
i believe so

Nirvana

The Dota community always manages to set itself up for disappointment. Get 2 new heroes, new game modes, 6.80 patch and now everyone is hyping for Wukong on top of it all.

WHEN WILL WE LEARN!?

Acinixys

The Dota community always manages to set itself up for disappointment. Get 2 new heroes, new game modes, 6.80 patch and now everyone is hyping for Wukong on top of it all.

WHEN WILL WE LEARN!?

In other news, Earth Spirits winrate is down 10% and Broods is down 5%

68 items offered, mostly commons/uncommons, one or two rares. Let's see what I get.

I also have a bunch of 1-20 series chests that I could offer, not sure if those have any sort of market value or if it will be affected by the offering.

pompidu

So this new update... WHere is the find match button? All i see on the "play" screen is bloom stuff but no way to actually find a game.

Edit: nvm came back after a few restarts

Is Terrorblade not in ability draft? Phoenix not being there has a reason, but Terrorblade seems like he'd work ok? I haven't really heard anyone get him in the mode yet.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Phoenix sure got nerfed a lot looking through his balance history...looks like he got hit hard almost every balance change.

He seems pretty weak to be fair...can't imagine what he was like prior to the nerfs and reworks.

mfaex

Phoenix sure got nerfed a lot looking through his balance history...looks like he got hit hard almost every balance change.

He seems pretty weak to be fair...can't imagine what he was like prior to the nerfs and reworks.

Dive used to disarm. Spirits could be used to heal. Fuck phoenix.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is Terrorblade not in ability draft? Phoenix not being there has a reason, but Terrorblade seems like he'd work ok? I haven't really heard anyone get him in the mode yet.

Why wouldn't Phoenix be in ability draft? It doesn't look like his abilities have any mandatory synergy (a la Lucent Beam/Eclipse), even if they do play well together

ElyrionX

Just played CM. The nerf is very noticeable from early to mid game. I keep running dry. I would either need to tweak my skill build (to get more points in aura early) or I would need to tone down my early game aggression. Tough.

Those motherfuckers nerfed troll warlord!

Well, perhaps unintentionally, you don't gain AS for the first attack, so its about the same as it was before, not sure if this is parity with wc3 or a bug.

To explain more succinctly:

Pre patch:

attack(+as)

post patch:

attack - attack(+as)

traveler

Not Wario
I'm wondering if Phoenix is another one of these cases where the Dota 1 community input is just off-base, like how Ember Spirit was supposedly super broken and Earth Spirit merely ok. Why would I ever pick this guy for support? He's super slow, super squishy early game, needs levels, has fairly long cooldowns given the strength of his abilities, (presumably to synergize with the benefits of his ulti?) has no powerful early burst dmg, (all of his dmg is dot based) and cannot even disable except in the circumstance that his super long setup ulti is allowed to go off around enemies. Sunray appears to be a useless skill in its current incarnation and dive is easily punished with the latest patch changes. He clearly wants some farm- mek seems almost core- but as a support he won't get a mek in the relevant phase of the game for it and as a mid, he'll be shutdown hard with his low base dmg, lack of instant wave push, cruddy move speed, and 0 armor. The only things he really has going for him is range on his dive and the ability to screw up last hits with properly timed spirits.

I really like the concept and how he looks, but I think he's going to need either buffs to undo the damage or a rework entirely. I also freely admit I'm a pretty middle of the road player, by mmr at least, so I'm sure I could be missing things and/or just playing him incorrectly. Would love to be proven wrong, but I think this is another case where the competitive scene and metrics in Dota 2 are going to say something entirely different from the Dota 1 crowd.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Phoenix has always felt like a character Ice Frog is flat out not happy with, but really likes the overall concept of. I haven't really put much time into him, but he feels super awkward to play for me.

Also, Ability Draft Mode is hard, I always random heroes with crappy base stats and then pick a bunch of spells that don't do anything. I think they only good ability draft I got so far was the Stick Napalm/Frost Arrows/Blur/Viper Strike Medusa, and thats just because Napalm is OP.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Don't have a ton of time for theorycrafting, and I won't purport to predict how Phoenix will perform professionally, but in pubs currently I think he's very strong. I played him a few times, playing support, this morning and absolutely destroyed people. His Q is a fantastic escape and okay initiation. W does a ton of damage if done right. E allowed me to deal out a lot of damage and healing in teamfights, and pick off fleeing enemies. As far as the ult, nobody seems to have realized yet to attack it, and the stun is pretty good when it goes off. Even if you don't use the ult in teamfights you can fully refresh yourself out of harm's way.

I really enjoyed the hero so far.

traveler

Not Wario
That's good to hear. I'm going to try him out some more, but characters usually "click" sooner for me and I've seen my fair share of Phoenix feeds already. Need to watch someone good play him.

Phoenix has always felt like a character Ice Frog is flat out not happy with, but really likes the overall concept of. I haven't really put much time into him, but he feels super awkward to play for me.

Also, Ability Draft Mode is hard, I always random heroes with crappy base stats and then pick a bunch of spells that don't do anything. I think they only good ability draft I got so far was the Stick Napalm/Frost Arrows/Blur/Viper Strike Medusa, and thats just because Napalm is OP.

I've started focusing on good roaming/support abilities almost exclusively in draft. Nearly everyone goes for right click passives, so assuming your team will need someone to fulfill another role is a safe bet and you'll have much better choice of abilities for your role. NP TP is pretty much my #1 pick regardless of the pool. I've gotten it with fissure three times now and just spent my whole early game tp'ing in for fissure ganks to snowball into a strong mid game.

Did get to live the dream once with aftershock + ss ulti on silencer. Felt so bad for the first guy I killed as soon as I hit 6. From full to 0 instantly with no chance to react. Every kill gave me more mana for more ball lightning too.

traveler

Not Wario
Ranged bashes are OP as fuck.

I got both Spirit Breaker's Bash AND Slardar's Bash on a ranged hero yesterday. (With untouchable to boot- was nearly impossible to harass me in mid) Unfortunately, it was on Visage of all heroes. Still, getting those with Mjolnir and AC was enough to pretty much permalock a hero.

I got both Spirit Breaker's Bash AND Slardar's Bash on a ranged hero yesterday. (With untouchable to boot- was nearly impossible to harass me in mid) Unfortunately, it was on Visage of all heroes. Still, getting those with Mjolnir and AC was enough to pretty much permalock a hero.

Just played a game where a Shadow Shaman was owning the other team with Void's bash. However, seems like Dotabuff hasn't updated (still stuck on 6.79c).

Oh god, is nonranked ap basically a wasteland of huge skill gap? Had a team where everyone built necronomicon, and prophet had a manta. I have a feeling this is some dumb na'vi strat where people copy it without context. So TB ends up farming and winning, I asked prophet why he didn't buy sheep, "he would have just popped bkb".

Anyway, really digging the bm changes. Double boar is pretty insane, I think he could end up being a popular pick.

Pratfall

It's kind of a neat feeling to icarus dive over a team fight and use mek while in mid air. Like I'm some kind of air support or something

Honestly, I hope Phoenix is or becomes competitive viable, because I want to see Kuro fly over a crowd, drop a ton of spirits, mek up his team and then turn into a massive burning sun.

Sibylus

Banned
Tusk would seem like a synergistic battlebro. Snowball into Sigil into Punch to waste time the enemy team could be using to hit the sun.

BigAT

Tusk would seem like a synergistic battlebro. Snowball into Sigil into Punch to waste time the enemy team could be using to hit the sun.

We faced a Phoenix/Tidehunter combo last night that was pretty devastating. It was pretty much impossible to kill the egg when there was a follow-up Ravage every time.

but dat dumpster status, yo

We faced a Phoenix/Tidehunter combo last night that was pretty devastating. It was pretty much impossible to kill the egg when there was a follow-up Ravage every time.

yea you don't realize how many hits 7/10 can be. it's like...7/10 hits? no problem. until you're in a 5v5 and you don't have the time to commit that kind of focus fire on him. then you realize you're just kinda fucked.

Anteo

It certanly was much much more fun.
The spirits would heal alies adn damage enemies (this effect has been transfered to the ray). The amazing thing about the spirits was that the aoe heal/damage would trigger in both the target area and the area round phoenix.

The ray used to slowdown enemies a lot, making chasing enemies down much easier for allies.

The dive used to disarm everyone for a few secs, so a overused teamfight tactic was to dive into the enemy team and use nova uin the middle of the disarmed team to get huge damage, I think sure the hits to kill the nova was low, like 4-5-6, but maybe im wrong

Man, the 8 dollar favor is just a shitty ass deal. It's like paying 8 bucks for 1 uncommon or rare

Yea, it's really bad. Especially since you still need to play for hours just to get one reward. It's a really bad system compared to Wraith Night which worked a lot better in this instance. You just don't get enough Jade Tokens for it to be worth it.

Dreams is that Gretchen Wieners in your avatar?

It's been 2 months since my last Dota 2 match, but I woke up early today and played a RD match and an Ability Draft match before work. Holy shit Ability Draft is hilarious. The drafting stage is too goddamn fast though, I panicked and all 4 of my abilities were auto-picked. :( I was Kunkka with Acid Spray, Sadist, Gush, and Ball Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom