• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Faceless Void is an easy hard carry for beginners: you chrono and get kills. For pros, especially against NP or other mobile heroes, Spectre would have been a lot better for C9.

Nah, disagree. Spectre would have been better from 60 minutes on for sure, but C9 controlled the early game entirely on the back of Chronosphere pickoffs.

EE destroyed :/

Throne race was such a bad move, why? Without buybacks even..

The writing was on the wall, bro. they were being chipped to death and there was no sign the chipping was going to stop. Eventually Alliance would be able to secure yet another Aegis + cheese and get megas for free. What else could they do?

IMO, they lost because in that final base race, the entire team didn't focus the throne. I saw Void right-clicking it, but I don't know if Mirana and Ember were.

Edit: yea, EE got himself killed on Mirana and Sing Sing was too busy right-clicking Tree to realize he needed to be hitting the throne. By the time it occurred to him, it was too late.

If EE hadn't died, C9 wins that game. They would have had enough right-click on the ancient to bring it down.

kazabi

qFS60qe.jpg

BOW TO THE RAT-GOD

inkls

I don't understand how anybody can hate watching rat doto. Every minute of that game and all the nuance in the decisions and positioning from Alliance was inspiring. I have a boner right now.

Its not the dota of our forefathers.

Bruno dropping the truth bombs: "split-pushing is not easy..."

"Kills means nothing, gold means nothing, experience means nothing - throne means everything"

^

Einbroch

Banned
I don't understand how anybody can hate watching rat doto. Every minute of that game and all the nuance in the decisions and positioning from Alliance was inspiring. I have a boner right now.
Because it discourages team fighting and is essentially a risk free way to win the game once you get to a certain point. Not that it's the best, but it's the safest and most passive way to play Dota. It becomes AI vs AI.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because it discourages team fighting and is essentially a risk free way to win the game once you get to a certain point. Not that it's the best, but it's the safest and most passive way to play Dota. It becomes AI vs AI.

This isn't Naga/Tinker.

They were fighting for every inch. When you go up against Void/Enigma/Ember, you're not going to run into them as 5, regardless of whether or not you're in rat mode.

It was literally 1 kill every 1.3 minutes, most games with "team fighting" have less total deaths than that.

inkls

If there's no team fight, what prevents the non-rat team from pushing if they will win a 5-man teamfight?

BigAT

Risk free? Passive?

cmon_son.jpg

Yeah clear miscommunication for C9 there. Void went to throne after Chrono, but the rest were attacking Treant for like 2 seconds or so before they realized what was happening. Not sure if they went in planning to focus heroes or the throne, but it took them too long to get on the same page. Super long game though, and chaotic fight, so not surprising though.

The Technomancer

More than any other strategy it forces teams into a very passive dynamic. The last thirty minutes of this game were a perfect example: 90% of the time was C9 sitting in base just fending off creep-waves without either team making significant steps towards victory.

ksan

#fucktechies

also, people who dislike rat dota should be sentenced to watching all the chinese replays available from 2010~

Yeah clear miscommunication for C9 there. Void went to throne after Chrono, but the rest were attacking Treant for like 2 seconds or so.

I'd have to watch that moment again, but EE got blown the fuck up by someone. Maybe a WK right-click, but he had to leap away with about 100hp. He git hit with a right-click from someone after leaping and turning to try to fight and immediately went down. Sing...yea, maybe fatigue, maybe poor communication...but he lost a few seconds fucking with Treeant and not clicking on the Ancient.

That said, Void + Sing clicking on the ancient wouldn't have been enough. They needed Mirana to do it in the time chrono was up. Whoever wrecked Mirana deserves the MVP award.

Also, if they were going to do that, Void should have sold something to get a refresher online. 2 chronos would have been enough time to finish the throne with 2 heroes.

Einbroch

Banned
Risk free? Passive?

cmon_son.jpg
I'm not sure how you can get more passive than teleporting in, pushing a wave, summoning some minions, and blinking away.

I mean, I have a ton of respect for da admiral and it clearly works.

But I don't like watching it.

I don't mind split push Dota, I just hate global teleports because the normal rules for positioning, buyback, etc don't apply to Wisp/Furion. Triple buyback, triple port back into teamfight anywhere is just gross. With other heroes where you fight will change how effective a buyback is (is the fight close enough to a tower) but for them it doesn't matter.

Honestly would void getting augs coulda change anything? it's only one more second of crono.
The cooldown is the better part.

Void got shifted above envy for farm since he was doing better so he had to right click and less support stuff we see the voids nowadays go.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly would void getting augs coulda change anything? it's only one more second of crono.

If they had planned the yolopush, he would've made Refresher.

They thought they could win legitimately but it was clearly they couldn't. By that point it was too late.

Zeth

Faceless Void is an easy hard carry for beginners: you chrono and get kills. For pros, especially against NP or other mobile heroes, Spectre would have been a lot better for C9.

Can't agree. Big reason he was picked is his ability to lane efficiently and have a great mid-game presence. Spectre's global ult definitely would have helped after the 60 min mark - but who knows how the lanes would go with Spectre.

SamVimes

Good point. You absolutely changed my mind.

You embarrassed yourself enough, no need to pile on. Alliance got the best possible start on furion and they still almost lost the game, risk-free my ass. Even calling it ai vs ai is incredibly short sighted.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If they had planned the yolopush, he would've made Refresher.

They thought they could win legitimately but it was clearly they couldn't. By that point it was too late.

I don't think refresher would have enough, when void was hitting the throne it wasn't going down so fast. It would have been very close yes.
Also i need a gif of loda patting envy in the back.

The Technomancer

Risk free? Passive?

cmon_son.jpg

I don't know about risk free but its absolutely passive. The fact that some pick off kills were occurring in the back half of this match doesn't mean its any less passive since C9 was unable to leverage any kills into an actual aggressive activity.

Bad7667

I'll need to watch that game again. Need to see how much gold void had and I'm pretty sure rosh was alive before C9 tried the end game push.

If they kill rosh and try to push and fight instead of hitting the ancient maybe it goes better.

Then again do they have enough time to kill rosh and push before NP wisp and WK start pushing themselves.

Ah so many decisions having to be made by C9 in like 20 secs at the end. What a great game.

Of course you do. People don't like watching it (or playing against it) because it actively seeks to avoid all confrontation. People want to see epic conflicts. A bloodied battlefield strewn with bodies of the fallen. They want the game decided by team fights, where objectives are the prize. In rat doto, the game is decided by hiding or otherwise avoiding conflict and chipping away at objectives. Killing heroes is only part of the equation in so much as it allows you to further avoid more conflict and chip chip chip.

It's interesting to observe and study, but it's not enjoyable for most Dota2 fans. It's part of the reason people hated seeing Kotl+PL picks a year ago. It's difficult to execute properly so I respect it academically, but it feels cheap to lose to.

I'll need to watch that game again. Need to see how much gold void had and I'm pretty sure rosh was alive before C9 tried the end game push.

If they kill rosh and try to push and fight instead of hitting the ancient maybe it goes better.

Then again do they have enough time to kill rosh and push before NP wisp and WK start pushing themselves.

Ah so many decisions having to be made by C9 in like 20 secs at the end. What a great game.

I don't think they had time. They made the right call after glyph was burned and people were still dead. EE getting picked off cost them a win at the end.

Shinypogs

I love watching players use the courier to hold their extra items (usually necros and refreshers) when games get this long. Also stuff like purposefully flying couriers over warded areas to trick the enemy team into thinking you're smoking from one area but you're actually in another. It's always interesting to me to see how teams are using absolutely everything in the game as part of their tactics.

I hope Bulldog finds a way to reinvent LD as well, while I still want to see him play a wider pool of heroes it'd be interesting to see if he can get both of his signature heroes back into scary form.

Speaking of LD how long does a game have to go to have 6 items on yourself and the bear? How scary is a 12 slotted LD? I remember it almost happened at TI3 but I forget which game it was.

The Technomancer

Of course you do. People don't like watching it (or playing against it) because it actively seeks to avoid all confrontation. People want to see epic conflicts. A bloodied battlefield strewn with bodies of the fallen. They want the game decided by team fights, where objectives are the price. In rat doto, the game is decided by hiding or otherwise avoiding conflict and chipping away at objectives. Killing heroes is only part of the equation in so much as it allows you to further avoid more conflict and chip chip chip.

It's interesting to observe and study, but it's not enjoyable for most Dota2 fans. It's part of the reason people hated seeing Kotl+PL picks a year ago. It's difficult to execute properly so I respect it academically, but it feels cheap to lose to.
Honestly its not even that so much as how incredibly difficult it makes it for the receiving team to take any objectives of their own. NP especially just keeps the enemy team in the base past a certain point, because you can't go for a T2 without risking losing your rax. Its not that I wish there were more teamfights, its that I wish C9 were more able to do anything

Top Bottom