• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Lots of people understand how to play Drow but don't execute it properly. AFK right-clicking and tunnel-visioning is doing it wrong. You can't be lazy with Drow. Orb walking, proper positioning, and multi hero silences are skills that have to be developed to win games.

If you have level 3 or better frost arrows, nobody should be able to walk close to you to cancel your aura in the first place because you should be orb walking them. Even if they can, gust is your get out of trouble free card. Gust away the Riki's, bounty hunters, spirit breakers, huskar's and PA's, then murder them.

I often engage as many as 3 different targets with the slow in team fights to keep them all slow rather than just focusing one target. I never have frost arrows on auto cast. I press Q when I want it, and regular autos when I don't (for the lifesteal or whatever orb I may have bought).

Right now Drow is my favorite Tinker countermeasure. That's a hero that never buys BKB. Six seconds of silence is his death. Repeatedly.

As with any carry, she needs proper support for laning phase unless she has a reasonable 1v1. Unlike most carries, she can still recover from a bad start and be relevant later. Might need to rush a Shadowblade. Might need to rush a blink dagger. Might need to rush a BKB.

But really, the biggest problems I see with Drow players come mid game are poor orb walking skills, poor positioning, and extremely poor Gust casts. Oh, and poor skill builds. Maxing silence last is doing it fucking wrong.

Dreams, thanks again for the advice with Kunkka yesterday. The timing with 2 in X worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the shadowblade purchase did not work as well. After my first escape, I was dusted with great regularity. Really could've used a blink dagger that game.

As for the game itself, well we lost and my score wasn't great but I thought I did some things well. My laning phase was poor as I was solo against WR and Axe. Although I managed to get some kills early on thanks to rotating gankers, ultimately I didn't get much farm because the rest of the time, the two ganking supports were fixated on camping tinker (who eventually got fed anyways). I eventually was able to catch up some in farm but by then it was too late for me to make an impact as the other team got fat and my burst damage just wasn't enough to overcome their large HP pools.

Dreams, thanks again for the advice with Kunkka yesterday. The timing with 2 in X worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the shadowblade purchase did not work as well. After my first escape, I was dusted with great regularity. Really could've used a blink dagger that game.
np.

SB Kunkka is to gather intel and get in position to get off your combos or reposition rather than escape. It gives you time to survey a situation and figure out if it's safe to engage, where blink is an all-in more often than not.

SB --> auto --> E --> Q/R --> R/Q --> auto until dead.

You can also use SB to launch the boat from surprise locations.

IMO. Both SB and Blink are good initiation options for Kunkka. There is no wrong answer. I do still recommend spending time with both. Pros and cons to each. Hell, having both isn't bad either.

I really hope the end of August patch has a lot of good shit in it and isn't just Techies and the rest of the compendium goals. There ain't been a drier spell for content in this game in a long ass time if ever.

We got a decent amount of content in the build up to TI4. TI4 was pretty much a major update, stuff like new weather effects, new game modes, the compendium, basically added up to the same size as a normal large update.

Spring Cleaning wasn't too shabby either.

Lots of people understand how to play Drow but don't execute it properly. AFK right-clicking and tunnel-visioning is doing it wrong. You can't be lazy with Drow. Orb walking, proper positioning, and multi hero silences are skills that have to be developed to win games.

If you have level 3 or better frost arrows, nobody should be able to walk close to you to cancel your aura in the first place because you should be orb walking them. Even if they can, gust is your get out of trouble free card. Gust away the Riki's, bounty hunters, spirit breakers, huskar's and PA's, then murder them.

I often engage as many as 3 different targets with the slow in team fights to keep them all slow rather than just focusing one target. I never have frost arrows on auto cast. I press Q when I want it, and regular autos when I don't (for the lifesteal or whatever orb I may have bought).

Right now Drow is my favorite Tinker countermeasure. That's a hero that never buys BKB. Six seconds of silence is his death. Repeatedly.

As with any carry, she needs proper support for laning phase unless she has a reasonable 1v1. Unlike most carries, she can still recover from a bad start and be relevant later. Might need to rush a Shadowblade. Might need to rush a blink dagger. Might need to rush a BKB.

But really, the biggest problems I see with Drow players come mid game are poor orb walking skills, poor positioning, and extremely poor Gust casts. Oh, and poor skill builds. Maxing silence last is doing it fucking wrong.

I never get points on Precision aura until level 9. Dunno why people max that first when the bonus damage is small and the silence is waaaaaaaaaaay more useful.

SamVimes

Shadow Blade on Kunkka is a lot about making use of the 150 (?) damage nuke on the splash.

Also

nahaz said:
No disrespect intended to their other four players but I am VERY worried for C9 now. I can make a strong statistical case that they depend on Sing more than any other top tier team does on any individual team does on a single player (Trixi is the only one who's close, really).

https://twitter.com/NahazDota/status/499562859555479552

Goddamn.

Razzer

Shadow Blade on Kunkka is a lot about making use of the 150 (?) damage nuke on the splash.

Also

Goddamn.

Interesting stat. This seems especially weird to me as the most common criticism I heard from people in this thread was that he was too quiet and had not enough impact.

I look forward to seeing a fuller analysis if he makes one.

xanavi

Is this 1v1 vs a tinker? I ask because tinker can easily ghost and blink out of that kind of situation. Drow's generally alright 1v1 but some match-ups are roflstomp bad for her. PA is another one. Sure you can gust her until she's got a bkb but once that bkb is done drow gets real sad. A part of me still wishes huskar didn't break the ghost scepter + orbs thing because that would have been a solid answer for drow.

Yessir. It offers quite a bit. The 150 bonus damage, the ability to scout around while invisible for 14 seconds, 20% move speed buff, near instant fade time.

It's a great tool when used to its maximum potential.

Is this 1v1 vs a tinker? I ask because tinker can easily ghost and blink out of that kind of situation. Drow's generally alright 1v1 but some match-ups are roflstomp bad for her. PA is another one. Sure you can gust her until she's got a bkb but once that bkb is done drow gets real sad. A part of me still wishes huskar didn't break the ghost scepter + orbs thing because that would have been a solid answer for drow.
In team fights. Hit him with the gust in the middle of a rearm and he's toast.

At worst, you keep him out of a team fight for 6 seconds, which is damn near most team fight.

Sibylus

Banned
She'd be better than before she got into CM. That was when pubs were in tears over her OPness. She had a 58 win% or something. Now, with her vastly superior silence...
Agreed. She didn't have a tool to open gaps in her skillset when Precision Aura was global, it'd be pretty nuts.

SamVimes

Interesting stat. This seems especially weird to me as the most common criticism I heard from people in this thread was that he was too quiet and had not enough impact.

I look forward to seeing a fuller analysis if he makes one.

Because 99% of the people in this thread know nothing about dota. I don't either but i was saying months ago that every time sing wasn't doing well they lost.

Agreed. She didn't have a tool to open gaps in her skillset when Precision Aura was global, it'd be pretty nuts.

Then maybe pump her stats a bit. She has a lot of trouble right now because everyone is getting a blink dagger and her stats/attack speed are terrible without the extra agi from Marksmanship.

Maybe more movement speed or something.

bbd23

Apparently I spend too much time in the armory. My wife this morning: "Did you ever pick an outfit for your monster?"

548.gif

Hylian7

Because 99% of the people in this thread know nothing about dota. I don't either but i was saying months ago that every time sing wasn't doing well they lost.
LOL, okay, sure, nobody in the Dota thread knows anything about Dota. Gotta live that absolutism at work.

I heard a story about how someone had a good pudge on their team. I think his name was dondo or something, other than that I doubt a good pudge exists.

Got bored of waiting for almost 2 weeks for WLF to ship my order and just ordered some more blind box plushes from Valve directly (and a Scout Bonk cup)

Maybe someday they'll ship my order. Or give me money back. Or something...

So apparently there's a way to make spells cost gold in the custom game tools
5dYlLFJ.jpg

With a special HUD icon and everything

I wonder if we'll ever see that used by Valve for a new hero. The triumphant return of the Gambler? Or will it exist merely as a tool for new custom maps?

Hylian7

So apparently there's a way to make spells cost gold in the custom game tools
5dYlLFJ.jpg

With a special HUD icon and everything

I wonder if we'll ever see that used by Valve for a new hero. The triumphant return of the Gambler? Or will it exist merely as a tool for new custom maps?
Probably the latter.

Dumb question about the editor, is it possible to modify or do away with hero attributes entirely?

Wok

Tinker is a broken hero. Almost unkillable late game with his Ghost Scepter + Boots of Travel escape. Basically, he teleports in Dagon, Blink, Rocket, Laser, Sheep, March, Rearm in a specific order, and if you jump on him, he just teleports out.

52club

I've been playing some Drow lately. She comes online so much faster than sniper, and that aura can make a huge difference in the other lanes. I think she is a great pick for pub games. To me Viper needs to snowball much more than Drow which makes Drow less of a gamble to pick as well.

52club

Tinker is a broken hero. Almost unkillable late game with his Ghost Scepter + Boots of Travel escape. Basically, he teleports in Dagon, Blink, Rocket, Laser, Sheep, March, Rearm in a specific order, and if you jump on him, he just teleports out.

Gotta get him early and often.

IceMarker

I can't wait to learn the DOTA Workshop tools and convert and update my old SC2 maps from 2010! (The maps remain broken in SC2 since they released HotS and I'm too lazy to go through dozens of trigger files.)

Demoli

Venge's aghs makes it so she can swap creeps and lowers cd, You can swap heroes both allies and enemies alike without anything.

Hylian7

I can't wait to learn the DOTA Workshop tools and convert and update my old SC2 maps from 2010! (The maps remain broken in SC2 since they released HotS and I'm too lazy to go through dozens of trigger files.)
It's a billion times easier than SC2's, which had a scripting language with no documentation written for it. (Unless they finally released it since 2010)

Hylian7

No matter the farm, tinker is food :D
Scythe_of_Vyse_icon.png

I'm going to guess those scrub Tinkers that rush Dagon feed him.

I can't stand the scrub Tinkers that rush Dagon, cutting of their usefulness by buying that Dagon first. Hex is better. You can manage it by around 25 minutes, and it makes things easier for your team.

Top Bottom