• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

I just ended calibration and I have been sent to the deeps of mmr, with 1488, I just played with "Trench" Protector and I have got to 1514, is a long way out.....

Low Tier
anecdotal difference b/t mid 3k and mid 4k mmr

Seems like this might be pertinent for Hylian

literally all its saying is that as mmr goes lower you find worse players. It's a really long read that really doesn't say anything other than 'lol at 3k these players dont know X but at 4k they do X more but not so much X that they'd be at 5k'

Useless karma post.

Also its polarBURIED so its immediately pointless and irrelevant.

domstah

I just ended calibration and I have been sent to the deeps of mmr, with 1488, I just played with "Trench" Protector and I have got to 1514, is a long way out.....

How long have you been playing? And roughly how many games do you have? I'm in a similar MMR (1600 or so) - and I've been playing around a year with about 750 games played so it would be interesting to see where you are since we calibrated at about the same MMR .

I think MMR tends to reflect the amount of DotA played rather than the "real skill" of the player.

Haunted

*salutes*

I'm in 2.3k MMR and feel that I'm playing with a lot of players that are at my own level. I see people dominating like I can on a good day and people feeding like I might on a bad day.

I've heard the best way to increase your MMR is taking high solo impact heroes like mid or carries, but I don't like the added stress and responsibility. Like 7 of my 10 most played heroes are supports. I like supporting as long as we don't get into the super advanced stuff (don't ask me to double pull camps!).

How long have you been playing? And roughly how many games do you have? I'm in a similar MMR (1600 or so) - and I've been playing around a year with about 750 games played so it would be interesting to see where you are since we calibrated at about the same MMR .

I think MMR tends to reflect the amount of DotA played rather than the "real skill" of the player.
Looking at my dotabuff stats, I started playing May 2013, with 444 games on record.

Pratfall

*salutes*

I'm in 2.3k MMR and feel that I'm playing with a lot of players that are at my own level. I see people dominating like I can on a good day and people feeding like I might on a bad day.

I've heard the best way to increase your MMR is taking high solo impact heroes like mid or carries, but I don't like the added stress and responsibility. Like 7 of my 10 most played heroes are supports. I like supporting as long as we don't get into the super advanced stuff (don't ask me to double pull camps!).

Double pulling is something I just started doing and it is so valuable and not that difficult. They key to it is to never be greedy about securing the last hits on the small camp and pull the big camp before you think you actually have to. Better to be early than late since you can just get hit while the creepwave is in range and they will aggro the next camp. Allows you to pull every minute and farm the big camp for some much needed xp.

literally all its saying is that as mmr goes lower you find worse players. It's a really long read that really doesn't say anything other than 'lol at 3k these players dont know X but at 4k they do X more but not so much X that they'd be at 5k'

Useless karma post.

Also its polarBURIED so its immediately pointless and irrelevant.

What I got from this is improving last hitting/farming mechanics more efficiently for all roles is the key to increasing mmr.

Razzer

What I got from this is improving last hitting/farming mechanics more efficiently for all roles is the key to increasing mmr.

Additionally, if you pay attention to the pro scene a lot, you'll notice one of the most common differences between top teams and semi pros trying to break in is that the latter have supports that almost always end up under leveled. A good support can keep up with his cores in xp, if not in gold.

Maybe I should like play 10 ranked matches to see if I'm below or above my 3.2k mmr. I have only played calibrating matches plus 1 or 2 ranked matches.

I'm most likely lower.

What's frustrating is that a lot of what he's describing is stuff you can't control. Its the main reason I always play in stacks these days: you can be farming your ass off but if the rest of the team is making bad rotations (or no rotations) it doesn't matter

While that's true I feel that his biggest bullet point with last hitting and farming will lead to bigger gains. That said there's a difference between last hitting well and tunnel vision farming while your team plays 4 v 5. Ideally improving your mechanics allows you to do both and make the most of space created or not created by your team

G.ZZZ

Did he beat milkman and procarbine mid too or something?

Milk has a lower MMR than me, he's official copper tier too
crazy.gif

Guys forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how do you deal with a Abaddon + Timbersaw lane if you don't have a disabler in the lane? Because I swear to God with that aphotic shield and the low CD of timberchain, that lane dives with relative impunity.

I got stuck in that lane with an AM last night (I was Warlock) and we must have given up like 7 deaths in 10 minutes, mostly on me as I had no escape. Eventually I just rotated away from the lane entirely. We won the game but that was the first time I'd seen that combo and I felt genuinely helpless. I'm sure it would have been fine if either of us had low-cooldown CC, but without it...holy shit.

Artanisix

Milk has a lower MMR than me, he's official copper tier too
crazy.gif

meet me in the gb tournament BRO

http://www.giantbomb.com/dota-2/303...ty-tournament-2nd-edition-sign-ups-1491827/#0

need more gaffers to sign up

Guys forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how do you deal with a Abaddon + Timbersaw lane if you don't have a disabler in the lane? Because I swear to God with that aphotic shield and the low CD of timberchain, that lane dives with relative impunity.

I got stuck in that lane with an AM last night (I was Warlock) and we must have given up like 7 deaths in 10 minutes, mostly on me as I had no escape. Eventually I just rotated away from the lane entirely. We won the game but that was the first time I'd seen that combo and I felt genuinely helpless. I'm sure it would have been fine if either of us had low-cooldown CC, but without it...holy shit.

Lane swap with your offlane is probably your best bet.

Tenck

If there are any other budding Mapo players out there, I learned that if you save your skill point at level 2 you can get your first level of ultimate and a second level of poof when you hit 3. Real nice for adding some extra burst damage to a kill if you have a support with a good early disable, or for shoving the lane so you can get the 2 minute rune if you're mid. I don't see this mentioned in any Meep guides for some reason.

I'd rather have one point in net and one in Poof when I get my ultimate. It has saved me so much because people tend to be super aggressive towards meepo early game. Plus if you have a strong early support hero with you early laning phase, even level one poof should be enough.

Razzer

Isn't that one of the things they said in the matchmaking blog? That they match players based on a common language.

Otherwise there's no point in the language setting

They attempt to match people by language. If it's taking too long they just stick you with others tho, and I get the feeling that at least in Europe there are actually less people who speak English as their primary language than other languages.

Falk

that puzzling face
They attempt to match people by language. If it's taking too long they just stick you with others tho, and I get the feeling that at least in Europe there are actually less people who speak English as their primary language than other languages.

This. It's a preference more than a filter. Although I wish being able to toggle between a preference and a filter should be optional.

anecdotal difference b/t mid 3k and mid 4k mmr

Seems like this might be pertinent for Hylian

Why are people giving this guy shit?
All of it is solid advice and good players vs bad ones in games I'm in are the ones that do or don't do many of the things he lists.

Especially the 'handholding at mid' (how often do I have to plead for my carry to go farm when there's 2 empty lanes for the past 5 mins as support, then 30 mins in he has nothing...)
The splitpushing thing loses a lot of games too, teamfight breaks out, carry has no tp or just needs more farm, all their heroes are doing the handholding at mid or fighting, but he refuses to push in that time.

Alternatively getting shat on for not tping into a fight that is already lost (fog chasing, or just hopelessly out of position players) and choosing to take a t1-t2 in the meantime (which then also forces enemy tps instead of them barreling down on our racks)

Nothing as annoying as support as losing games because noone ever (everrrrrr) pushes out lanes the entire match, no matter how many teamfights or 4v5s you win you never get an objective because the lane is nowhere near the enemy tower. (and when you get a chance people rather chase the last guy than take 2 free towers or a free racks)

Why are people giving this guy shit?
All of it is solid advice and good players vs bad ones in games I'm in are the ones that do or don't do many of the things he lists.

Especially the 'handholding at mid' (how often do I have to plead for my carry to go farm when there's 2 empty lanes for the past 5 mins as support, then 30 mins in he has nothing...)
The splitpushing thing loses a lot of games too, teamfight breaks out, carry has no tp or just needs more farm, all their heroes are doing the handholding at mid or fighting, but he refuses to push in that time.

Alternatively getting shat on for not tping into a fight that is already lost (fog chasing, or just hopelessly out of position players) and choosing to take a t1-t2 in the meantime (which then also forces enemy tps instead of them barreling down on our racks)

Nothing as annoying as support as losing games because noone ever (everrrrrr) pushes out lanes the entire match, no matter how many teamfights or 4v5s you win you never get an objective because the lane is nowhere near the enemy tower. (and when you get a chance people rather chase the last guy than take 2 free towers or a free racks)

This is the worst part of this game. I like roaming/gankers roles more than hardcore support or carry, and it annoys me greatly when you make space and your team does absolutely nothing with it. GET OUT OF THE FUCKING JUNGLE

Wok

There is no chance in hell the average Dota 2 player is even remotely as good as I am.

The story of every Dota2 player.

Currently, the top MMR in the NA Leaderboards is 7.3k. This doesn't not make ^^DragonFist^^ the best player in the world, nor necessarily a better player than RTZ when he topped the leaderboards back when the highest was around 5.4k.

It does mean something. After seeing excalibur play meepo and tinker, I think we can guess the top player can play at least one hero so well that MMR is free lunch when he plays this hero.

That is quite interesting, I have been playing since January 2013, most of that time was spent playing against bots, I got tired of them, so I played a bit of pvp recently then I decided to jump into ranked games (I was a bit scared of trying them, now I only want to play that)

*salutes*

Looking at my dotabuff stats, I started playing May 2013, with 444 games on record.

When I was calibrating, I played supports with the only exception of Bounty Hunter, I lost eight and won two games, one of them I went 7/0/8 with BH. I have heard the same things about picking high impact heroes, but I also don't feel like playing carries due to the pressure so I play mostly supports and gankers, I love to be wrecking chaos behind enemy lines.

The play only impact heroes is a bunch of rubbish..pick what you can play well among what your team composition needs. A better idea would be to play a late game support (something with a really good teamfight AOE) Having 5 mids is just a recipe for disaster... You're essentially playing 1 v 9 since everyone on your team needs farm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-J9mfcExhg- I know this shit's a joke...but what he says is surprisingly true.

I guy with the username "I hate dota" joins instapicks necro and locks mid. A shadow fiend goes mid and necro starts crying, " how will I get my 15 minute radiance now". Than he goes to idle in the jungle and calls everyone noobs.
Later find out he created a second account to get out of trench but ended up back at 1.5k

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The play only impact heroes is a bunch of rubbish..pick what you can play well among what your team composition needs. Having 5 mids is just a recipe for disaster... You're essentially playing 1 v 9 since everyone on your team needs farm
I think the issue is people only think mids and solos can have an impact. Supports can be super inpactful. Someone like cm is super strong for the first 15 minutes.

I think the issue is people only think mids and solos can have an impact. Supports can be super inpactful. Someone like cm is super strong for the first 15 minutes.

CM is great if you're comfortable with early game aggression but that doesn't happen in low mmr games...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This one is a bit of a balancing act though, because if your carry can't jungle yet (or can only jungle inefficiently) then having the lanes pushed out means they have to farm closer to danger

Top Bottom