• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Or Terrorblade broken hero.

70% winrate on him yeah. He's never played in pubs so people aren't used to dealing with him I think.

I usually outfarm people in my bracket with ease regardless of which carry I pick frankly. I find it really easy to win. Wish I had less of a phobia of playing ranked.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If there are any other budding Mapo players out there, I learned that if you save your skill point at level 2 you can get your first level of ultimate and a second level of poof when you hit 3. Real nice for adding some extra burst damage to a kill if you have a support with a good early disable, or for shoving the lane so you can get the 2 minute rune if you're mid. I don't see this mentioned in any Meep guides for some reason.

sephi22

Bounch posted Umbral Descent loading screen in the workshop 2 days ago.
It might be happening.

Its gonna be so good to get hats after so long. Have been jonesing for some shiny new cosmetics

Wok

If there are any other budding Mapo players out there, I learned that if you save your skill point at level 2 you can get your first level of ultimate and a second level of poof when you hit 3. Real nice for adding some extra burst damage to a kill if you have a support with a good early disable, or for shoving the lane so you can get the 2 minute rune if you're mid. I don't see this mentioned in any Meep guides for some reason.

My problem with Meepo is I cannot micromanage more than 2-3 heroes.

yarden24

70% winrate on him yeah. He's never played in pubs so people aren't used to dealing with him I think.

I usually outfarm people in my bracket with ease regardless of which carry I pick frankly. I find it really easy to win. Wish I had less of a phobia of playing ranked.

man do most people try hard in ranked?

I just random 80% of the time and hope for the best, don't see much difference between ranked and unranked

man do most people try hard in ranked?

I just random 80% of the time and hope for the best, don't see much difference between ranked and unranked

I tryhard the shit out of ranked. Don't see why I should care about other people's feelings towards it tbh. Might as well crush these scrublords I am falsely calibrated with and 'gg ez' them on the way out. Never gonna see them again anyways. Life's too short to not be a scumbag in Dota pubs.

Razzer

I tryhard the shit out of ranked. Don't see why I should care about other people's feelings towards it tbh. Might as well crush these scrublords I am falsely calibrated with and 'gg ez' them on the way out. Never gonna see them again anyways. Life's too short to not be a scumbag in Dota pubs.

About the falsely calibrated thing, it may be that you have been rapidly improving since you started playing. Not to mention that you say you play ranked less than unranked, which means more time to improve whilst not increasing your mmr, so when you go back you are better than those you were previously equal too.

TL:DR, you got better, GJ!
highfive.gif

About the falsely calibrated thing, it may be that you have been rapidly improving since you started playing. Not to mention that you say you play ranked less than unranked, which means more time to improve whilst not increasing your mmr, so when you go back you are better than those you were previously equal too.

TL:DR, you got better, GJ!
highfive.gif

Yeah quite possibly. I probably queue significantly higher in non-ranked than in ranked which is why ranked games feel ez. Furthermore, I changed my game entirely in the past 6 months and barely play any supports these days. Being a safe lane carry who can farm pretty reliably has made my life so much easier.

Nymerio

I think yesterday was the first time I called the other team noobs. Was playing PL with a friend supporting me on Treant. Had a LD/Lina lane against us and they shut us down pretty well. Lost T1 relatively early and they just pushed on to T2. No one from my team showed up to defend so we lost that as well. I think they could've pushed T3 as well but they decided to rotate bot and let me free farm top without any kind of contest. While they were 5v4-ing our other towers I kept farming and pushing top lane. When they tried going high ground I did the same and got rax while they only got our T3. That's when their Lina started calling me a pussy and said viper was a hero for fags. They bought neither sentries nor dust but kept flaming when I just went into jungle when they showed up to defend. I ended the game with "Should've finished while you had the chance".

I love Phantom Lancer.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My problem with Meepo is I cannot micromanage more than 2-3 heroes.
Practice, practice, practice!

Standard disclaimer, I'm not a high level player and I have not played too much Mapo yet, but I find him actually easier to play than other micro heroes (Chen, Visage, Druid) because for the most part you're using them primarily as a single hero, just with a different mechanic to deal his damage (tab-W-click repeatedly to poof). It's not like Chen where you have assorted abilities on each unit you control, or Druid where you need to primarily use the bear for important tasks while keeping your hero himself safe from harm.

Play him in a few bot matches and learn how to send the farming Meepos on "safe" tasks like stacking or shift-attacking neutral camps while you're lane farming with your main Meepo. For as scared as I was of the hero for my first year of playing I find him really easy to play competently and REALLY powerful especially at my skill tier.

You can see I had some disastrous games with him when I was learning to play him with the random element that actual players give as opposed to bots, but I feel pretty comfortable playing him now even if I'm still not great. There's definitely a satisfaction to doing even average with him in a winning game, even if you don't go out of your mind ham like Sing or n0tail.

Ultimatum

Banned
I think sometimes its better to accept that certian heros arent for you

it's true that certain heroes are more suited to certain play styles, and hence players, but it's retarded to think he can't improve significantly. A good player can play a hero which doesn't suit them and still be better than 99% of dota players. Hylian can definitely become a good storm player by most standards, it's just less likely he'll become #1 storm in the world due to his play style and natural tendencies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yes but it's also wildly stupid to both be playing a hero you're not good at trying to get better AND simultaneously be complaining about struggling to improve your MMR.

So my package from We Love Fine shipped last week, but they never mentioned it to me until this morning that it shipped and it turns out I'll be getting it today

Which means it took about 2 weeks from order to receiving, which isn't too bad for cheapo shipping option. They just need to work on their communication

There is no exact cutoff. It's a range that extends both ways for averages.
I genuinely don't think you can solo queue into high bracket with 3.7k or higher. Unless you are stacking with weaker players or queueing late at night on Dubai servers and running into a stack with a huge MMR spread that amounts to high bracket, I dont see it happening. I literally don't have a single solo queue high gamer after breaching 3.7k. Not one.

I genuinely don't think you can solo queue into high bracket with 3.7k or higher. Unless you are stacking with weaker players or queueing late at night on Dubai servers and running into a stack with a huge MMR spread that amounts to high bracket, I dont see it happening. I literally don't have a single solo queue high gamer after breaching 3.7k. Not one.
Which can easily mean you play at peak times in a population bracket full enough it doesn't dip into it.

Acinixys

Well seeing as 3.5K is about average 3.7+ would be considered very high

Pretty dumb seeing as some people are 7K+

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Common MMR distribution estimates place the tip of the MMR curve at around 3k-3.5k

Common MMR distribution estimates place the tip of the MMR curve at around 3k-3.5k

So the average MMR from unranked to ranked is supposed to have jumped by like 1.3k? Yeah, I doubt that. Online MMR distribution estimates are skewed as hell. There is no chance in hell the average Dota 2 player is even remotely as good as I am (3.8k). Like, not even close. The unranked average of 2250 sounds still fairly realistic although I suppose the lack of players below level 13 doesn't drag it down as much as in unranked.

http://www.twitch.tv/joindotared

Team Tinker game starting in a few minutes

So the average MMR from unranked to ranked is supposed to have jumped by like 1.3k? Yeah, I doubt that. Online MMR distribution estimates are skewed as hell. There is no chance in hell the average Dota 2 player is even remotely as good as I am (3.8k). Like, not even close. The unranked average of 2250 sounds still fairly realistic although I suppose the lack of players below level 13 doesn't drag it down as much as in unranked.

I could easily see 3k being the average for ranked, it is definitely higher than the unranked number we were given anyway

http://www.twitch.tv/joindotared

Team Tinker game starting in a few minutes

I could easily see 3k being the average for ranked, it is definitely higher than the unranked number we were given anyway
I conjecture the average MMR is nowhere close to 3k. It was 2250 in non-ranked and might be a few hundred higher than that nowadays I assume. 3k used to be like top 10% of the player base. How is that supposed to have turned into a top 50% all of a sudden? I recall reading that the average Dota 2 player spends roughly 120 hours on the game. You aren't gonna calibrate into 3k after mere 120h unless you have prior experience in MOBAs.

Haly

You're looking at MMR as some sort of objective measure of skill when it's really just a vague description of relative win rates.

Currently, the top MMR in the NA Leaderboards is 7.3k. This doesn't not make ^^DragonFist^^ the best player in the world, nor necessarily a better player than RTZ when he topped the leaderboards back when the highest was around 5.4k. And before Ranked even came out, the top was ~4.1k.

Ladders change how people behave and approach the game. It may be that 3.5k is still well above average considering the entire pool of DOTA2 players, but when talking solely of Ladder grinders, it's probably less impressive than it was before.

I conjecture the average MMR is nowhere close to 3k. It was 2250 in non-ranked and might be a few hundred higher than that nowadays I assume. 3k used to be like top 10% of the player base. How is that supposed to have turned into a top 50% all of a sudden? I recall reading that the average Dota 2 player spends roughly 120 hours on the game. You aren't gonna calibrate into 3k after mere 120h unless you have prior experience in MOBAs.

Well the unranked number will include a lot of new people who dropped the game quickly, it takes a fair bit of playing to even unlock ranked and then I'd imagine more casual players have no interest in it. So it wouldn't be shocking if only 20% of the playerbase was playing ranked

You're looking at MMR as some sort of objective measure of skill when it's really just a vague description of relative win rates.

Currently, the top MMR in the NA Leaderboards is 7.3k. This doesn't not make ^^DragonFist^^ the best player in the world, nor necessarily a better player than RTZ when he topped the leaderboards back when the highest was around 5.4k. And before Ranked even came out, the top was ~5k.

Ladders change how people behave and approach the game. It may be that 3.5k is still well above average considering the entire pool of DOTA2 players, but when talking solely of Ladder grinders, t's probably less impressive than it was before.
I'm just saying that we shouldn't move the goalpost. I wasn't referring to ladder grinders. I am talking the average MMR in ranked matchmaking. That includes level 13 scrubs as well as tryhard FOTM hero pickers. In this thread, it was said to be 3.0-3.5k which would be plain insanity given that this MMR ranged used to be like the top 90% player base in non ranked. Then again, prior to ranked MM, the unranked MMR wasn't seperated in solo and party so I don't know whether the stats are be comparable or not. But then, neither does anybody else and ridiculiusly skewed polls on hardcore Dota 2 boards do very little to convince me otherwise.

Haly

4.1k used to be top 99%. Now I'd be reluctant to say if 4.1k players are even in the top 10th percentile of Ranked players. 99% is probably closer to the 5k level. The MMR ranges between Unranked and Ranked are wildly different, using one as a baseline for the other makes even less sense than comparing MMRs between regions.

I don't think you guys understand how mmr works. It's not an evaluation of skill, it's a ranking compared to the rest of the pool. The more someone wins, the more someone else loses. It balances out. Valve said the average was 2250, and it will ALWAYS BE.

Look at it this way, if you have a 20 car race, the average finish position will be 10.5. Even if everybody improves dramatically, and the lap time goes down, not everyone can get a top 3 finish. The average is still 10.5.

ksan

this silencer is about as good as synderen mid
I don't think you guys understand how mmr works. It's not an evaluation of skill, it's a ranking compared to the rest of the pool. The more someone wins, the more someone else loses. It balances out. Valve said the average was 2250, and it will ALWAYS BE.

Look at it this way, if you have a 20 car race, the average finish position will be 10.5. Even if everybody improves dramatically, and the lap time goes down, not everyone can get a top 3 finish. The average is still 10.5.

No. Sure, normally it's a zero sum system, but I'm pretty sure we can assume that skilled players make more smurfs on average. Skilled smurfs have higher MMR after placement games, which are not zero sum, driving up the average mmr.
Then again, it could be argued that bad players join as well...
And if you only include the active player base, skilled players are probably more likely to stay in the active player base.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't move the goalpost. I wasn't referring to ladder grinders. I am talking the average MMR in ranked matchmaking. That includes level 13 scrubs as well as tryhard FOTM hero pickers. In this thread, it was said to be 3.0-3.5k which would be plain insanity given that this MMR ranged used to be like the top 90% player base in non ranked. Then again, prior to ranked MM, the unranked MMR wasn't seperated in solo and party so I don't know whether the stats are be comparable or not. But then, neither does anybody else and ridiculiusly skewed polls on hardcore Dota 2 boards do very little to convince me otherwise.
The numbers are all relative. They don't objectively mean anything in a vacuum. They can change as much as they want and they're still just as useful as before (not very).

In a completely closed system sure. People join this game everyday and are given an mmr. People also quit everyday and effectively take theirs out. The average will shift around a lot.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/834824250

was bored this morning as I work up 1.5 hours before I need to get to some business, so I decided to give Deso Drow a try. Results were inconclusive because we were crushing regardless. As a practical matter, I figured it could work in my playstyle because I don't autocast frost arrows. I press Q for every one, every time. So conceptually, I figured Q'ing once to slow, then following with a non-Q auto to proc the Desolator's armor reduction, followed by the rest being regular frost arrow autos would work fine and it did.

Also, laning with WD as Drow is fun as hell. A couple of points in frost arrows and they simply can't walk away from the WD ult, and with the silence, they can't cancel it either. Even maledict at low levels is a kill with frost arrows.

That's only true if the distribution of MMR for ranked players was the same as unranked

Honestly unless Valve tells us we're probably never going to know what the average for ranked is

Nirvana

Uh-oh, sounds like there might be another Thacker brewing.

just messing

Man, trying to practice farm efficiency is impossible in bot games (especially when Viper bot is in them) because one team just starts deathballing and pushing at like 20 minutes, so either your team just destroys theirs 4v5 constantly or your team feeds them 4v5 constantly and the game is over.

Quesa

So my package from We Love Fine shipped last week, but they never mentioned it to me until this morning that it shipped and it turns out I'll be getting it today

Which means it took about 2 weeks from order to receiving, which isn't too bad for cheapo shipping option. They just need to work on their communication

This exact thing happened to me (also getting mine today), 'cept I had to send them an email asking where my shit was before they'd send me the shipping notice.

kvk1

Man, trying to practice farm efficiency is impossible in bot games (especially when Viper bot is in them) because one team just starts deathballing and pushing at like 20 minutes, so either your team just destroys theirs 4v5 constantly or your team feeds them 4v5 constantly and the game is over.

Did you try putting them on passive?

Top Bottom