• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

shira

OMG first day back from vacation with decent comp and internet and I feel so fucking dirty from selling all those Emerald Dragon chests to people who worked for days in a factory or something. Ah fuck it,

Let's do this!

Saturday August 23: 1v1x1 solo mid tourney.

0BrmDhp.png

Random Participaction Prizes (have them in-hand)
- Genuine Trove Cask
- Genuine Hero's Heirloom
- Genuine Sculptor's Pillar
- Immortal Strongbox
*Treasure of the Emerald Dragon
+ some additional prizerinos

WHO
GAF and Steam account required
1. Highskill/Open bracket tier
- I guess anyone can join this one, vouched friends, non-GAF members
- Good idea/bad idea?

- no MMR or hours check

2. Midtier (MMR check)
- I'm thinking below 4K MMR or what do you guys think is a good midtier point 3K?

* Low tier (no check)
- Better than a beginner, just not quite midtier.

3. Beginner (hours check)
- Something for LOL converts or people new to Dota
- I'm thinking like 200 hours on a non-smurf account

Casters?
- should we have casting or do you think it would be too much pressure or too lame
- I could ask on reddit as there are always people looking to cast stuff

WHEN
next next weekend - Saturday August 23rd. 12pm EST to whenever

WHERE
USE/USW/Lux, SEA - other side of the world
- I picked those 3 since I guess it's doable and most GAF can play on those.
- If someone else can admin or is awake and convenient for SEA or later we could have an extra bracket I'll probably be awake

WHY
- Celebrate TI4
- a new year in pro Dota
- a new school year
- the calm before Techies
- celebrate all the new people starting to play
- meet and expand your friends list
- test your skill with non Dota OT readers/GAFers you didn't know who play

HOW
- I'm thinking that the prizes I listed will be for participaction and randomly given away since it's all about GAF and meeting new people and getting to know other people in the community
- there may or may not be special prizes for first and second place
*I'm not sure about the Emerald Dragon since it is pretty expensive although I paid $2 for it, so I might omit that

Rules
- 1v1 solo mid. 2 kills or the mid tower down and you win, runes, you can't push other lanes or jungle, no soul ring
- You can call GG and you lose.
- I guess if the brackets are small enough we can have double elimination and if there lots of people it would be single elimination
- 20 minute max timer so we can finish quickly. After 20 minutes the person with the most CS wins? 10 minutes 15 minutes? IDK
- Coin toss for choice of server or dire/radiant. Then the loser gets to decide their pick of the other.
- 2 pauses for lag/disconnect, maybe postpone if network difficulties

- I'm thinking I'll make a post in Gaming and have a sign up via google docs
- set up the brackets by Thursday and people can report to me who won, save all the match ID's
- I'm thinking I can just setup the lobby and once people are in the game I can observe or setup the next match

Am I being too naive here will people use smurf accounts and Meeru will show up?
Please poke holes in my logic or gimme suggestions before I put up the offical sign-up in Gaming side.
I have no clue what I'm doing, but it sounds like a fun time.

Watching PrintScreen play against a Broodmother

How the hell are you supposed to do anything with Broodmother when Dust of Appearance works against her?

Kreunt

Banned
Love it when the servers crash while you're winning a game, so you queue again and your next match sucks and you lose horribly.
SO MUCH FUN GUYS.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ooCKRhA.png

Fuck me in the ass. Why are people so competent all of a sudden it's so hard to win. And I keep playing vs stacksssssss. I even played well during the Ember game, itemization on our team just lost us the game fml
OMG first day back from vacation with decent comp and internet and I feel so fucking dirty from selling all those Emerald Dragon chests to people who worked for days in a factory or something. Ah fuck it,

Let's do this!

Am I being too naive here will people use smurf accounts and Meeru will show up?
Please poke holes in my logic or gimme suggestions before I put up the offical sign-up in Gaming side.
I have no clue what I'm doing, but it sounds like a fun time.
Nah, smurfs are common for any kinda prize over like 50 bucks.

Watching PrintScreen play against a Broodmother

How the hell are you supposed to do anything with Broodmother when Dust of Appearance works against her?
You just do general game sense stuff, watch the map, stay out of sight when ganks might be comming your way. If they have to multi-man gank you and you avoid it you come out ahead, plus you get to frustrate the shit out of your enemy when they fail. Playing it safe really pays off as brood.

shira

Fuck me in the ass. Why are people so competent all of a sudden it's so hard to win. And I keep playing vs stacksssssss. I even played well during the Ember game, itemization on our team just lost us the game fml

facepalm.gif

Aside from the Emerald Dragon thing those prizes are like under $10 and an extremely rare chance for getting a $50 Pudge hook. And my listed prizes are for participation via random number generator. People won't know what the winning prizes will be.

I guess I'll make that superclear

Thanks.

FtHTiny

ooCKRhA.png

You have the same problem as me, there was only one solution for me.
Doom them.

Acinixys

LOL

are you guys for real with that tower damage. was your team allergic to towers? 55 minutes and less than 100 points of tower damage on Slark and CM? Looks like nobody on your team managed 5 auto-attacks on any tower? How's that even possible?

Nothing can make a match feel like a 4v5 like a bad Chen. Did he random that?

Also Skywrath is a broken piece of shit and probably destroyed him before he got his BKB

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
yay i got carried

wo8WFa9.png

facepalm.gif

Aside from the Emerald Dragon thing those prizes are like under $10 and an extremely rare chance for getting a $50 Pudge hook. And my listed prizes are for participation via random number generator. People won't know what the winning prizes will be.

I guess I'll make that superclear

Thanks.
Don't mind me too much I was on tilt at 3am.
But really people from not GAF and other places will just hop in to win some 1v1 tourney. Since it's not money it's a lot better, but just something to keep in mind :D
I've had my fair share of doing tourney stuff and organizing everything is just a pain if you want any semblance of something good.

shira

yay i got carried

wo8WFa9.png

Don't mind me too much I was on tilt at 3am.
But really people from not GAF and other places will just hop in to win some 1v1 tourney. Since it's not money it's a lot better, but just something to keep in mind :D
I've had my fair share of doing tourney stuff and organizing everything is just a pain if you want any semblance of something good.

Hmmm yeah, I should make it GAF-only.
My goal is for 4 people in each category.

And it will be a spectacular mess!

Zeth

I used an armory expander and it didn't work. Apparently 40 pages is the max. I think this is a wake-up call. I need help.

Should probably delete some of the 130 loading screens.

ooCKRhA.png

I believe that 50% of < 4.5k MMR losses are secondary to poor itemization. My one loss yesterday featured a mid Axe that not only played poorly but rushed a Force staff and bought no tank items vs a team with Exort Invoker, Weaver and another physical dealer. Guess who got melted in every team fight.

People buy poor items, or greedy items, or stupid items daily. Others don't buy any items at all because they don't know how to farm or otherwise forget. Others still forget that team fight items like Mek and Urn are just as or more important than Aghs.

Haunted

Is this real praise or are you guys just saying this because it's the only thing available right now and people are desperate for pro Dota in the post-TI shuffle?

I remember people here recommending Korean Dota leagues to me and it was terrible.

Is this real praise or are you guys just saying this because it's the only thing available right now and people are desperate for pro Dota in the post-TI shuffle?

I remember people here recommending Korean Dota leagues to me and it was terrible.
Korean dota best dota

you obviously have bad taste

inkls

hazaro trash talking ld. Has your depravation no limits?

Also, the bear dmg is heavy (its does 75% dmg to heroes so it can easily be outscaled by any other carry). The only real threat of bear is double basher in a 1v1.

KingKong

Team Tinker vs Revenge is the closest thing to real pro dota since TI4

SamVimes

4.2k is open tier right? I didn't play in like 4 months or more because of problems with my internet but i'd be up for a 1v1 tournament.

Razzer

Aggro tris will be a great tactic throughout I-league for Team tinker probably. Means their superior players get uninterrupted 1v1s in the other two, which is pretty much gg against these smaller teams.

The way the bracket is shaping up looks like it'll be Team Tinker vs Virtus Pro playing to go to China

With possibly Power Rangers vs Union Gaming being the other final

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Let's do this!

Saturday August 23: 1v1x1 solo mid tourney.

I am down I guess? I am like shit tier. I have over 1000 hours in the game with like 2k mmr

ksan

MMR = decent proxy for skill as long as you actually play ranked
Bunch of semi pros trying to break in with a couple of bigger players. Team Tinker are easily faves for getting qualification.

you're being way too nice when calling most of these players semi-pro :p
though I expected slightly more from smash and co, even though it was a 100% clear that tinker would win

Wok

I don't know what happened recently: I was first calibrated at 2.7 K MMR, then I have been oscillating between 2.5 K and 2.9K MMR, and recently, I am consistently in the 2.5 - 2.6 K range. It is as if Valve knew with more confidence my "true" MMR is 2.5K rather than 3K.

ksan

Oh, and generally solo mmr is quite obviously more accurate than party mmr.
I have seen many 2.6k mmr play better than 3.6kmmr, so don't think you are bad.

Are you trying to assess skill based on a one game sample or?
There's quite a bit of variation in performance regardless of mmr.

Wok

Are you trying to assess skill based on a one game sample or?
There's quite a bit of variation in performance regardless of mmr.

So what? Of course, you can see if people are skilled with a single game. We are talking about skills with one hero, but still, it is skills. When a Pudge is going 10-0, ganking all the lanes, it is a skilled Pudge player.

ksan

So what? Of course, you can see if people are skilled with a single game. We are talking about skills with one hero, but still, it is skills.

What?
People have good and bad games, using one game to say if a player is better or worse than someone else, even on one hero, is not gonna be a very good guess.

Hylian7

So what? Of course, you can see if people are skilled with a single game. We are talking about skills with one hero, but still, it is skills. When a Pudge is going 10-0, ganking all the lanes, it is a skilled Pudge player.
I went 41-1 Pudge once. I'm a good Pudge but I ain't no Dondo.

Top Bottom