• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

kvk1

Sodium levels will be going through the roof tonight; again.

highfive.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sodium levels will be going through the roof tonight; again.

highfive.gif
Plz valve giff blog post before we hit fatal levels of sodium.
Pics/ link please. I would like to see this or understand the place from which you found this news.
I can give a link in like 30 minutes, but there is a video that goes over the various stretch goals. Lots of stuff, hud, loading screen, courier, battle point bonus, another set.

I hate to be the one to say it but it does say "We’re aiming for a release by the end of August." which doesn't necessary guarantee it will.

If it doesn't hit then I'd imagine that is the last time we will be given estimated dates.

TUSR

Banned
im getting flashbacks of diretide when the community spammed Volvo for the patch

I hate to be the one to say it but it does say "We’re aiming for a release by the end of August." which doesn't necessary guarantee it will.

If it doesn't hit then I'd imagine that is the last time we will be given estimated dates.

september confirmed

mfaex

Embarrassing times incoming. Hurray for football so I'll get to miss it.

kvk1

I think most people accept this notion.

It's just that they can't get past the 1st stage of grief.

2nd stage hits on Monday.

rage.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

If they can't they can minimize outrage with a quick blog post that saying how much longer they think it will be, toss out a feature, and a bit of art work.

Hylian7

Honestly not surprised, and I am still happy with the frequent workshop tools updates.

inkls

I can only see the last part of the quote "...release by the end of August"

Gamers are binary. Its either happening or its not "aiming" clearly means august and as such I have created a metacritic account to give Valve a lesson on lying to me.

Because when game devs tell me something will be released on day x, its a fact and I treat it the same way when they tell me their next game is the best thing since toilet paper.

If they can't they can minimize outrage with a quick blog post that saying how much longer they think it will be, toss out a feature, and a bit of art work.

Where on the stages of grief is bargaining?

God help me, I didn't want to be excited about this patch.. Techies seem like crap.. but the balance changes.. nerf dem.. nerf dem alllllll.

Ketch

They'll never do this because they think it's bad to communicate... and somehow saying "by the end of august" and not hitting that goal is going to reinforce their mindset.

Seriously Matt, you ever legit ask them why they don't hire a community manager?

Alternately, perhaps it would be good to dedicate enough staffing to a project so that it can hit reasonable deadlines.

At this pace, it's going to be 2016 before we see parity with Dota 1. At some point it begins to feel like simple neglect. You'd think a community that has shown so much dedication that they can get an event prize pool up to and beyond $10,000,000 would earn a few more full-time staffers to rejoin said project to get it completed in a timely fashion.

Maybe parity is asking a lot. It just doesn't feel like it is. I feel like Star Citizen is going to be finished before Dota 2 reaches parity. That bothers the fuck out of me, Matt. With respect.

It's like when Valve pointed out that their first trailer for Episode 2 ended up mostly not being in the game, and they'd be avoiding early showings like that in the future.

So now they never talk about Half-Life EVER.

manfestival

indeed riot does give updates and talks to theirs userbase unlike valve

shit game, going to lol

I would rather things be handled the valve way where they only talk unless they NEED to. I feel like the system that riot is involved in is just more of "say what you want but at the end of the day, we don't care what you have to say".

Razzer

They'll never do this because they think it's bad to communicate... and somehow saying "by the end of august" and not hitting that goal is going to reinforce their mindset.

Seriously Matt, you ever legit ask them why they don't hire a community manager?

Aiming was the Keyword. If you choose to ignore that you are indeed proving their point.

I would rather things be handled the valve way where they only talk unless they NEED to. I feel like the system that riot is involved in is just more of "say what you want but at the end of the day, we don't care what you have to say".

valvedrone pls

valve pr is super bad it is known

Maybe not Riot like, but Valve is pretty bad in communicating with its userbase and I am NOT talking about Dota 2 only.

I certainly hope you know I'm being facetious.

inkls

Yeah, I remember the shitstorm at the start of season 3 where a bunch of bugs and items were broken and people discovered that players on PBE had reported most of these weeks before official release and Riot had pretty much ignored PBE feedback.

What? I call fuckin bullshit. They take suggestions and make changes regularly that originate from their Beta testers.

Also, there is no reasonable way you could honestly believe that Valve's perpetual silence and communication incompetence is better than Riot's weekly/bi-weekly interactions with the community, commentary on changes (and why!) and updates via their many blog posts.

It's just not possible.

KingKong

I don't mind Techies being delayed (although it's not difficult to make a blog post like "sorry for the delay, here's a piece of art, starladder started buy ticket here") but it is annoying that they want to do these 'big' patch updates instead of releasing things when they're done.

Would it have been that difficult to release ARDM, which is basically working, or the A-Z challenge, multikill banner, base customization, etc, during this time? The last compeindum thing they've added was on June 30th

What? I call fuckin bullshit. They take suggestions and make changes regularly that originate from their Beta testers.

Also, there is no reasonable way you could honestly believe that Valve's perpetual silence and communication incompetence is better than Riot's weekly/bi-weekly interactions with the community, commentary on changes (and why!) and updates via their many blog posts.

It's just not possible.

stockholm ;)

Pratfall

I'd like to hear more from valve if only because I think I would find their decision making process fascinating. Unfortunately, there is the insane quotient who cannot handle any amount of information and Valve knows this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll say this, people are much more excited and optimistic for DOTA2 balance patches than they are for League balance patches, commentary or no.

Randdalf

It's happening today.

#believe

I think Valve know what they got themselves into by even mentioning a possible release date. If it was TF2 instead of Dota, I think the community would just find it amusing rather than bring out their pitchforks if it isn't released by the end of August.

Artanisix

Well, if you say you're aiming for release by the end of August, and it's almost the end of August, people are naturally going to start asking questions. That shouldn't be unexpected or surprising to anyone.

I'll say this, people are much more excited and optimistic for DOTA2 balance patches than they are for League balance patches, commentary or no.

I have played LoL 10 times, so I don't know about Riot patch pacing, but Dota 2 patches are more far and few between than LoL, aren't they?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have played LoL 10 times, so I don't know about Riot patch pacing, but Dota 2 patches are more far and few between than LoL, aren't they?

Maybe every 2 weeks.

And people are never happy.

I'm not going to whine and complain if they don't get the patch out within the next few days, but if they don't, they deserve whatever backlash they get. If you can't put out a simple blog post or even a tweet that just says, "Sorry, things are taking a bit longer than expected, hold tight," then there's a problem.

Ketch

Aiming was the Keyword. If you choose to ignore that you are indeed proving their point.

How is that proving their point?

Even if I hadn't just forgotten to include it, the way to solve misunderstandings is more communication, not less. It is the exact opposite of proving their point.

Here's what they are saying:
Somewhere at Valve said:
"Everyone thinks we're going to have this patch out by Friday"

"We never should have said anything to begin with"

Yea, that's the answer. If they had never said anything everybody would be totally chill right now.

Here's what they should be saying:
Somewhere at Valve said:
"Everyone thinks we're going to have this patch out by Friday"

"We should have our community manager put something together to tide everyone over"

It's not like they can't afford an amazing community manager, and if they really think they don't need one they're dillusional.

W1SSY

I thought they would have learned something after Diretide about communicating with the community. For me I don't care about Techies and am just happy they got the Starladder ticket in. Now I just need the compendium.

Randdalf

How is that proving their point?

Even if I hadn't just forgotten to include it, the way to solve misunderstandings is more communication, not less. It is the exact opposite of proving their point.

Here's what they are saying:

Yea, that's the answer. If they had never said anything everybody would be totally chill right now.

Here's what they should be saying:

It's not like they can't afford an amazing community manager, and if they really think they don't need one they're dillusional.

A poor instance of communication does not mean you need to hire a community manager. If somebody at Valve thought a community manager would have been valuable they would have done it already.

I'm not going to whine and complain if they don't get the patch out within the next few days, but if they don't, they deserve whatever backlash they get. If you can't put out a simple blog post or even a tweet that just says, "Sorry, things are taking a bit longer than expected, hold tight," then there's a problem.

Valve’s taken the opposite path of PR. Rather than tell fans everything that’s in their upcoming title, they’re telling them nothing. They’re letting fans form their own ideas, their own expectations, and doing absolutely nothing to confirm any suspicions or rumors they might catch wind of. Rather than being inundated with advertisements talking on about how incredible a title will be, or interviews babbling on about new characters, antagonists, and gameplay elements, fans are getting…nothing.

Copypasta from a ridiculous (imo) article about Valve's "bloody brilliant" PR.

Personally, I don't give 2 shits about Techies. To me it's less about Techies and more about signs of progress. While the flow of items they can sell you never slows, actual updates to the core game (balance, heroes) seem to get slower and slower every quarter. That's just how it feels, and perception is reality for most people...especially when the company does as poor a job at communicating as Valve does. It's been...what? About 7 months since the last hero got added to Dota 2 (Terroblade)? Think about that. That mothafucka came out during New Bloom. We haven't seen a new hero released or any visual updates for any of the many who need it. This is all without even mentioning the many bugs in the gameplay and cosmetics. Again, it's not about any particular hero; it's about the feeling that the game is losing or has lost any semblance of importance to Valve.

At the moment, we're poised to get Techies and probably some bug fixes sooner rather than later. Which is cool. But the outlook makes me worry. At this pace, we won't see another hero until...March or April of 2014? Maybe one before the end of the year again. Or otherwise, 2 - 4 heroes/year when we used to get 1-4 per month. It's frustrating.

Speaking of, I've given up entirely on the hope that Valve would learn to communicate better. I expected after DireTide we'd see a new-found prioritization of communication with the masses of fans. But nope, bad habits die very, very hard. As many have said, Valve needs a community manager in the worst way.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I thought they would have learned something after Diretide about communicating with the community. For me I don't care about Techies and am just happy they got the Starladder ticket in. Now I just need the compendium.
They really are going to give a ton of stuff with the ticket, I thought when I got it was mostly going to be the Tiny Set and maybe a Battle Point bonus as a stretch goal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwrfQ2H5L4&list=UUwcFHussQwFCHJ2rv4uKsSQ

Actually, thinking back, are there recordings of Star Ladder 1? Maybe Reddit knows.

manfestival

It's just not possible.

tDXwZIY.gif

antigoon

Agreed. Valve is absolutely baffling in this regard.

Ketch

The solution to a poor instance of communication does not mean you need to hire a community manager. If somebody at Valve thought a community manager would have been valuable they would have done it already.

Exactly

Nobody at valve thinks that having a community manager would be valuable... because they think that communication is bad... because they're dillusional.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
At least we have Diablo

ps milk r we doing ladders friday or no

think we're still deciding. For me personally though, I'd much rather play my current characters and try to max them out, go as far as possible in greater rifts, and level up those legendary gems.

Resetting at level 0 to chase after the same gear with the carrot simply just a couple extra shitty legendaries only to reset again a couple months later ain't really my idea of diablo fun.

Top Bottom