• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Big Dog

Anyone have a clue what real behind the scenes stuff came in with this new ~50mb patch just now? Maybe Matt can enlighten us with his stream?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That Percent based damage ability is nice, makes it so you don't need a lua script to do it. Also the respawn time stuff is helpful, you now won't have to set up a listener to do it. So while nothing really expands what you can do, it does make a lot of stuff easier. lua_report_memory should also be super useful down the line for development, when we get to a state where we can start easily putting mods on external servers.

Ketch

That Percent based damage ability is nice, makes it so you don't need a lua script to do it. Also the respawn time stuff is helpful, you now won't have to set up a listener to do it. So while nothing really expands what you can do, it does make a lot of stuff easier. lua_report_memory should also be super useful down the line for development, when we get to a state where we can start easily putting mods on external servers.

Finally!

Thank. god.

what if the general skill pool rose over the summer thanks to youngins and their no school and so your mmr is now no longer correct compared to the larger population

Mohasus

get on my level, 900 mmr on my alt that was 4.2 lol

tilting is bad kids dont b like me pls

I wasn't tilting. :(

Just bad luck. Ironically, most of the only games I won were the ones I randomed and my team didn't gave up on the spot (some people are like "lol random in ranked gg" and throw the game).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Diretide was when the festering wound that is the DOTA2 community started to bleed into the rest of the internet.

Maybe that's what we need.

If we can get Obama to ask for 6.82 in his next State of the Union address, we'll finally get a response from Lord Gaben.

What happens when you solo queue ranked allpick?

FLvRCFK.gif

as someone said..it's friday tomorrow D:

expecting a lot of hotfixes....after the big patch lol..i think they should have given the patch a bit early....if they are planning a "very big" patch ..cuz i'm expecting a lot more bugs coming in

I think your wrong.

That list is what Robin Walker talked about at steam dev days. And those results don't come from communicating, they come from communicating poorly. If they put forth effort to do it well it can look like this:
Diablo 3 Tavern Talks
and
Warframe Prime Times

Which are freakin awesome, and not outside the realm of what valve could be doing if they wanted to. But they don't want to do that, because they don't think it's important, and I think they're wrong. Look at the comments on those pages, it's not toxic garbage, because they're actually doing a good job interfacing with their respective audiences.

Look at the stuff Matt does. He live streams his patch analysis stuff and he always gets tons of viewers… those people aren't pissed off, they're happy to see some cool shit.

Valve has the capability to do that on a much bigger scale, trying to say it would be a bad thing, or people wouldn't appreciate it, doesn't make any sense.

You have to make a distinction between what you personally would like to see and what's actually effective, because honestly all the inroads Blizzard has made towards "communication" didn't salvage the SC2 community from its own toxicity or make launch D3 any less of a disaster. The International and Valve's seasonal content dumps are far and above what any other company does in terms of communicating and hyping content for their games, and way more difficult and complicated to do (and resource-intensive) than a weekly twitch couch stream with a couple of developers. If Valve wants to pursue a policy of "we're not saying anything until we have something significant to say" then I'm perfectly okay with that, because honestly announcing the possibility of a patch in August probably did more harm than good.

Imagine if Valve gave us a status update for 6.82 and Techies today. It would just make the anxious members of the community more impatient, wouldn't feasibly provide any information we don't already know (patch isn't done, it'll have techies, it's almost done, stay tuned), and provides nothing of value to people that Valve actually wants to reach ("wait so can I turn the game on and play a new character or see new content?" "oh..okay, whatever").

If Valve takes anything away from this, it's probably that they shouldn't have stretch goals for the compendium that aren't already mostly done (sounds weird I know), because when you provide a tentative roadmap for the next couple patches worth of content it sets up extremely high expectations for certain people because they were promised something. Next year they should either deliver everything involved within the Compendium within the time period around the International or hold back content to fill in the dull period afterwards, or else the community just drowns itself in speculation in lieu of actual content in the game and from teams.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the Nexon Invoker set looks really nice with the new Textures Valve made for it (I assume they were the ones who redid the textures). I also am using the Perfect World pants piece.
sinisterLightning.png

Zeth

I think the Nexon Invoker set looks really nice with the new Textures Valve made for it (I assume they were the ones who redid the textures). I also am using the Perfect World pants piece.
sinisterLightning.png
I like that combination too. At first I thought the set was ugly - but I've come around. It's nowhere near as bad as the original Perfect World set (which I still have for completion's sake).

The styles are all quite good. Style 2, red, goes nicely with the red Cape of the Arsenal Magus.

Ketch

I think we need to agree to disagree because nothing of what you wrote makes any sense to me.

You have to make a distinction between what you personally would like to see and what's actually effective, because honestly all the inroads Blizzard has made towards "communication" didn't salvage the SC2 community from its own toxicity or make launch D3 any less of a disaster.

You're right, the community around SC and diablo at launch was pretty shit, that's because they didn't even try with Starcraft, and they didn't make any effort towards the D3 community either until ROS launched. Which is right around the time popular opinion on the game changed for the better. Those tavern side chats are a new thing. You can look at the comments on those videos and see that they are effective. Lots of positive comments and few toxic ones.

The International and Valve's seasonal content dumps are far and above what any other company does in terms of communicating and hyping content for their games, and way more difficult and complicated to do (and resource-intensive) than a weekly twitch couch stream with a couple of developers.

Everybody loves the international, but there are multiple instances of people on camera saying they got very little to almost no communication from valve about the international. "Talent" from the dota community getting little more then a notice that they're invited, with no other details. It's documented. The international is great, and I'm sure it's ridiculously hard to pull off, but it's not an example of good communication.

And it's really hard for me to believe that quarterly patch notes are more complicated or resource intensive (or better from a customers viewpoint) then weekly live streams with the developers. Which lots of other developers are already doing, there was a thing on twitch today with sucker punch playing their new infamous thing and talking about all the shit it in.

I mean, given the choice between a bullet point list of changes, and hearing the developer talk about and explain the changes, who chooses the bullet point list? I'm trying to make a distinction between what I personally like and what's actually effective, but I think in this case they're one and the same.

If Valve wants to pursue a policy of "we're not saying anything until we have something significant to say" then I'm perfectly okay with that, because honestly announcing the possibility of a patch in August probably did more harm than good.

So if they had said nothing at all people would be more chill right now? We've talked about it in this thread already. Diretide happened when they didn't say anything, this is not as bad as diretide.

Imagine if Valve gave us a status update for 6.82 and Techies today. It would just make the anxious members of the community more impatient, wouldn't feasibly provide any information we don't already know (patch isn't done, it'll have techies, it's almost done, stay tuned), and provides nothing of value to people that Valve actually wants to reach ("wait so can I turn the game on and play a new character or see new content?" "oh..okay, whatever").

Okay, you're right. If they did a shitty status update it would be shitty. But imagine if they did a good status update. I think it would be better. Kirby already wrote it for them.

It's not time yet!
August 28, 2014 - Dota Team

We are sad to announce today we won't be able to reach our targeted August release for our next Major Update, "The <Insert Update Name here> Update", which will include the likes of Techies and a whole heap of new content. We are hard at work here at Valve, and hope to have our update out in several weeks, but things have taken longer then we originally had planned. We hope you can bare with us while we finish up, but in the mean time, here is a sneak peak at a few things we have been working on.

<Picture of Techies Arcana here>

<Picture of Base Customization Here>

<Updated Picture of Shadow Fiend Concept Art here>

This is the kind of stuff they need to be doing, the kind of blog updates they make for CS:GO. I can't understand how you think that wouldn't be valuable or somehow worse then what we get now... which is basically nothing.

I'm more then willing to coninue talking about this but maybe we should move to PMs because I'm sure everybody else is probably sick of it by now. Besides the updates going to be out any minute.

Top Bottom