• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey guys they updated the private beta again!

Which mario game should I play when I get home? 3D world? Kart? New?

kvk1

All the finishing touches done...

3WY76b7.gif

....on the SL Compendium.

lhi1kut.gif

Nah, I'm just playing.

Bought the ticket right away.

Looking forward to the compendium.

I must say .. If they do really nerf void i think he'll turn to what naga is before but in reverse .. From carry-->support/utility void, that chrono still i think is the difference maker even if they nerf every part of that guy , me thinks he'll transition to support next patch

ksan

wtf sweden drunk
another 110k € tourney, from i dont know who the fuck, except the media partner which is the biggest tabloid in sweden
http://esportal.com/

edit: oh, and manager is an old cs pro and involved in inferno online i think

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There a VOD up of Alliance/Na Vi from today? Missed it.

Ketch

Communication will not solve a damn thing, and people being impatient for patches or having crazy expectations will not be remedied by status updates or even the actual content they were waiting for. If Valve "communicates" like some suggest then it'll just be a constant stream of minor details that provides information that:
  • People probably already know
  • The average player doesn't care about
  • The entitled player won't be appeased by
  • The dedicated press won't bother covering
  • The general press won't bother covering
  • ends up diluting your message
  • ...and eventually makes it so that people don't care what you post

Valve is quiet because they probably have nothing worth saying about this update other than "it's almost done, we don't know when it's done" which no matter how you word it or massage it with PR isn't going to actually achieve anything. Remember, people forgot about diretide immediately, and even if outside press or people outside of the community vacuum paid any attention all it did was make the community look stupid as fuck.

I think your wrong.

That list is what Robin Walker talked about at steam dev days. And those results don't come from communicating, they come from communicating poorly. If they put forth effort to do it well it can look like this:
Diablo 3 Tavern Talks
and
Warframe Prime Times

Which are freakin awesome, and not outside the realm of what valve could be doing if they wanted to. But they don't want to do that, because they don't think it's important, and I think they're wrong. Look at the comments on those pages, it's not toxic garbage, because they're actually doing a good job interfacing with their respective audiences.

Look at the stuff Matt does. He live streams his patch analysis stuff and he always gets tons of viewers… those people aren't pissed off, they're happy to see some cool shit.

Valve has the capability to do that on a much bigger scale, trying to say it would be a bad thing, or people wouldn't appreciate it, doesn't make any sense.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You're all wasting your time, Valve aren't going to change and they're not going to hire a community manager. Just need to accept it.

Haunted

the salt in this week's DotaCinema A-Z challenge (kunkka and legion commander) is delicious

http://youtu.be/ZJbwgumGtbs
rofl

I mean, Sunsfan did fuck up, but at this point they're reversing the roles on purpose for reasons. Synderen playing the easier hero while Sunsfan gets to play Io (complicated) or Kunkka (skillshots).

I think your wrong.

That list is what Robin Walker talked about at steam dev days. And those results don't come from communicating, they come from communicating poorly. If they put forth effort to do it well it can look like this:
Diablo 3 Tavern Talks
and
Warframe Prime Times

Which are freakin awesome, and not outside the realm of what valve could be doing if they wanted to. But they don't want to do that, because they don't think it's important, and I think they're wrong. Look at the comments on those pages, it's not toxic garbage, because they're actually doing a good job interfacing with their respective audiences.

Look at the stuff Matt does. He live streams his patch analysis stuff and he always gets tons of viewers… those people aren't pissed off, they're happy to see some cool shit.

Valve has the capability to do that on a much bigger scale, trying to say it would be a bad thing, or people wouldn't appreciate it, doesn't make any sense.
Valve doesn't hire entry-level personnel like community managers or community coordinators. There's no one in the office to interface with the community outside of designers and engineers being present at the events they're holding (Dev Days, Gamescom, Dota tournaments).

I wonder if they're flat hierarchical structure makes it hard to create lower-level positions within the company.

kvk1

rofl

I mean, Sunsfan did fuck up, but at this point they're reversing the roles on purpose for reasons. Synderen playing the easier hero while Sunsfan fails with the skillshots?

Honestly, it just sounded like Synd was having an off day whereas Suns was at an 11/10.

Those two are great even when things are "awkward" though. This just proves it.

KingKong

I think your wrong.

Diablo 3 Tavern Talks
and
Warframe Prime Times

The CS:GO dev team is like 5 people and they make decent posts (http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/07/9866/ , http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/06/9780/ , http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/04/9284/)

Kioshen

i notice some change numbers are sequential through updates and some are not, what does it all mean?

the latest one goes from 659425 -> 659426 (in sequence)
and the one right before that goes from 658088 -> 659425

I'd assume one is a hot fix on the main line code and the other is a branch code merge.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
guys why are you wasting your time posting on a video game message board when you could be out there curing cancer

why do I even bother

can we at least go back to real meaningful discussion like posting dotabuff links and whining about losses and heroes, you know, stuff that matters, everyone cares about, and will have an impact

You're all wasting your time, Valve aren't going to change and they're not going to hire a community manager. Just need to accept it.

We're wasting our time Ikuu, these... "neogaffers," aren't going to stop discussing and criticizing video games and video game companies, we just need to accept it.

ksan

guys why are you wasting your time posting on a video game message board when you could be out there curing cancer

why do I even bother

can we at least go back to real meaningful discussion like posting dotabuff links and whining about losses and heroes, you know, stuff that matters, everyone cares about, and will have an impact

We're wasting our time Ikuu, these... "neogaffers," aren't going to stop discussing and criticizing video games and video game companies, we just need to accept it.

makrobokr, i have spent the last two weeks studying my utility function, and i can guarantee you that it is rational for me to whine at volvo on neogaf, so your post triggers me, please edit

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Not really feeling Chessie yet. No notable impact in any of these first 3 Alliance games.

Top Bottom