• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddard

Time to hit the books bro. It's composite damage, not magical.

Composite damate though...

"Composite damage (also known as mixed damage) is a physical damage that is also reduced by magic resistance."

Huskar is beast against Techies.

I just looked up multiple sources, they seem to all generally agree that the equation for composite damage is DAR, Damage multiplied by the reduction from armor multiplied by the reduction from magic resistance, so if it were 1000 damage and you had 50% armor and 90% magic resist, it would be 1000x0.5x0.1, which results in 50 damage. Given that our Huskar ran over a bunch of bombs without dying with very little health, that math seems at least roughly correct.

I'm going to watch the replay, do some math, and see if I can reverse engineer how it works. It amazes me that nobody has done this yet, or if they have that it didn't get published anywhere notable.

shira

MASS TP

I miss that spell

xdy32fT.gif

Goddard

Time to hit the books bro. It's composite damage, not magical.

Composite damate though...

I did a bunch of testing with both suicide squad as well as land mine, with 6 platemails and full health on a level 25 huskar (80% physical resist, 30% magic, 2012 health, 1550 composite damage from close proximity suicide squad as well as close proximity mines,) the combat log damage was always effectively the result of the equation; Composite damage x magic resist x physical resist = final damage. The result was only exact once, and for the suicide squad varied by a tolerance of about 10 damage, the mines were on a tolerance of about 5 damage, which could easily be made up by hidden decimal points that the game doesn't show you.

Huskar is fucking beast against Techies.

Time to hit the books bro.

Tenck

I did a bunch of testing with both suicide squad as well as land mine, with 6 platemails and full health on a level 25 huskar (80% physical resist, 30% magic, 2012 health, 1550 composite damage from close proximity suicide squad as well as close proximity mines,) the combat log damage was always effectively the result of the equation; Composite damage x magic resist x physical resist = final damage. The result was only exact once, and for the suicide squad varied by a tolerance of about 10 damage, the mines were on a tolerance of about 5 damage, which could easily be made up by hidden decimal points that the game doesn't show you.

Bro I never doubted you!

Will start instalocking huskar whenever I can't get techies now.

Edit: Won my first techies game too. Was so hilarious. When in doubt, always suicide on carry.

Hylian7

It seems odd and illogical that flying couriers don't trigger landmines (but can be hit by the explosions from them), yet Visage familiars, and firefly Batrider do trigger them. I didn't think to try Tusk's Frozen Sigil though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The reason its reduced more then expected is that there is "partial armor" points. Basically, every single point of agility give a bit of physical resistance, even if it doesn't show as having more armor on the hud.

Na'vi is really pretty good.

I really like the new Na'vi. Sadly I find it hard to get behind the new Alliance Roster.

Goddard

Bro I never doubted you!

Will start instalocking huskar whenever I can't get techies now.

Edit: Won my first techies game too. Was so hilarious. When in doubt, always suicide on carry.

Lol. Good call. I just tested, and if you leave enough room between land mines so that berserkers rage stacks can build up, you can run across 25 mines without even coming close to dying.

Also just to bolster my math a bit: I did 1 blink dagger nothing else, lvl 25 huskar with 2012 max hp, with 13 stacks of berserker's rage (didn't record current health,) 1550 damage from close proximity suicide, multiplied by 0.07 (93% magic resist,) multiplied by 0.66 (34% armor,) the result is 71.61, the in game said 69 damage, which could easily mean the difference between a few dozen hp either way.

Composite = good for huskar. huskar = bad for techies. Infallible math.

The reason its reduced more then expected is that there is "partial armor" points. Basically, every single point of agility give a bit of physical resistance, even if it doesn't show as having more armor on the hud.

That's what I figured.

Goddard

I found it absurd that the dota wiki article on damage types didn't explain how composite damage worked so I wrote down the equation there. How silly is it that in a game played by millions I had to do my own experiment on how composite damage worked because of how conflicting google search results on the subject were.

TECHIES 37% WIN RATE

SLx19c3.gif

Dotabuff says 41.65% right now. I honestly expected it to be lower 30s.

shira

Lol is that the set that was seen in the files months and months ago, posted in a Cyborgmatt post, but never came out?

Nope its a new one by SithHappens, might be EG/Alliance branded - I think he's been working with them lately

Razzer

Oh and btw, PL is an excellent Techies counter. His turtling is a lot less effective when you send illusions wave after wave to blow the mines up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom