• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymerio

Some basics:

Pick up two points in armor before both of your other skills are maxed. Usually take armor first at level 2, then the next point earlier if you're getting harassed a lot, sometimes at 4. Make sure you get two points before mid game and be mindful of your armor going in to fights.

Keep armor stacks up in lane by clicking on heroes and letting creeps get some swings in, this is very important.

Try to remember which trees you have destroyed in the short term, escaping from that second gank attempt can be hard if you already destroyed your best lifeline.

Remember that you can use skills together. Ex: Use your Q during timber chain to hit multiple targets, hitting a tree before you start moving for maximum effect. Use Q or chakram to clear trees ahead of you to timber chain to different positions.

The key to playing timber well is knowing exactly how much damage you can do while managing your mana, kind of like storm. Go in, get your damage in, but make sure you have a way out. You need to be aggressive once you get your full kit of skills, there are very few heroes that can keep up with you in damage output. Be very, very careful of getting silenced/disabled and picked off, you're going to want to dive and go nuts, don't do it.

Items: Don't write off soul ring early. I usually skip it if I'm playing against a tri lane, but 1v1 it's really, really good. Other items to consider are atos, blink, and ags, ags especially if you're playing against a team that wants to push really hard early. Going uphill against two chakrams is brutal, and makes the smaller time you get to farm more efficient. After a lot of messing around with item builds I think bloodstone take precedence over anything else and is core on the hero, so keep that up.

With regard to bkb, only get it when you absolutely need to. I think timber is a hero that really can take advantage of a heart and some magic armor and soak up a lot of damage for your team. Chain away, regen, come back in.

Hm, just realized I probably paid too little attention to armor stacks, I'll try to keep an eye on that in the future. Between chain and whirling death, what should I prioritize? I guess chain because it doubles as an escape/chasing mechanism? For fights, I usually try to chain through heroes and use whirling death when near them. What do you mean with 'hitting a tree before moving for maximum effect'? Does it do anything for the chain, or is it only for the pure damage of whirling death? What about shiva's and hex? I always got shiva's for the extra tankiness and the aoe effect, but I'm thinking my games would probably have gone better if I'd gotten a scepter instead.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hm, just realized I probably paid too little attention to armor stacks, I'll try to keep an eye on that in the future. Between chain and whirling death, what should I prioritize? I guess chain because it doubles as an escape/chasing mechanism? For fights, I usually try to chain through heroes and use whirling death when near them.

I would prioritize 4 points in chain over death, with no more than two points in death before maxing chain. I only ever go something like 2-2-1 at level 5 if I'm against some melee I can bully really hard in lane.

What do you mean with 'hitting a tree before moving for maximum effect'? Does it do anything for the chain, or is it only for the pure damage of whirling death?

It means if you have the ability to use whirling death to kill a tree and drag it through heroes while it's still doing damage during your timber chain, try to do it. Pure damage is nice. Takes getting used to the range and timing, so you'll have to practice it. If you're using chain to close on an enemy that's right next to the trees, just be safe and use death after your chain as you are now, perfectly fine.

What about shiva's and hex? I always got shiva's for the extra tankiness and the aoe effect, but I'm thinking my games would probably have gone better if I'd gotten a scepter instead.

Both great items on him too, I'm still up in the air on shiva v. ags in priority, haven't played enough. With just a bloodstone I don't think timber has enough max mana to use ags very effectively over an extended amount of time, so you might need another mana item first. Sheep is always great on anything that doesn't strictly require damage items, so don't hesitate to get it if your team needs the lockdown.

ViviOggi

giff new thread

C69EFF7B1B8D5435857A21A8C9ABC8FD771DDD88
Milk better deliver

Nymerio

I would prioritize 4 points in chain over death, with no more than two points in death before maxing chain. I only ever go something like 2-2-1 at level 5 if I'm against some melee I can bully really hard in lane.

It means if you have the ability to use whirling death to kill a tree and drag it through heroes while it's still doing damage during your timber chain, try to do it. Pure damage is nice. Takes getting used to the range and timing, so you'll have to practice it. If you're using chain to close on an enemy that's right next to the trees, just be safe and use death after your chain as you are now, perfectly fine.

Both great items on him too, I'm still up in the air on shiva v. ags in priority, haven't played enough. With just a bloodstone I don't think timber has enough max mana to use ags very effectively over an extended amount of time, so you might need another mana item first. Sheep is always great on anything that doesn't strictly require damage items, so don't hesitate to get it if your team needs the lockdown.

Cool, thanks for the answers, I'll try to use the stuff you mentioned next time.

sixghost

Hm, just realized I probably paid too little attention to armor stacks, I'll try to keep an eye on that in the future. Between chain and whirling death, what should I prioritize? I guess chain because it doubles as an escape/chasing mechanism? For fights, I usually try to chain through heroes and use whirling death when near them. What do you mean with 'hitting a tree before moving for maximum effect'? Does it do anything for the chain, or is it only for the pure damage of whirling death? What about shiva's and hex? I always got shiva's for the extra tankiness and the aoe effect, but I'm thinking my games would probably have gone better if I'd gotten a scepter instead.

This might seem really basic, but the order in which you use your skills is really important in lane. You almost always want to do Chain, Q during or at the end of the chain, then chakram. The movement slow from chakram scales based on how hurt the enemy is and it's the difference between getting a kill and watching them walk away at 100 hp. Not only does it let the chakram do more damage, but it also buys time for your chain to come off cooldown so you can finish them off.

Also, it helps to get used to the little tic marks on HP bars, or just clicking on the enemy to see exactly how much HP they have. This is most important when you try to get kills with multiple people in the lane. You can easily get kills on underleveled trilanes. At level 6 if you are 2-2-1-1, anyone with less than 500 hp is dying immediately to a properly executing combo. The math gets a little fuzzier with strength heroes, since they lose even more HP with the Q.

Nymerio

This might seem really basic, but the order in which you use your skills is really important in lane. You almost always want to do Chain, Q during or at the end of the chain, then chakram. The movement slow from chakram scales based on how hurt the enemy is and it's the difference between getting a kill and watching them walk away at 100 hp. Not only does it let the chakram do more damage, but it also buys time for your chain to come off cooldown so you can finish them off.

Also, it helps to get used to the little tic marks on HP bars, or just clicking on the enemy to see exactly how much HP they have. This is most important when you try to get kills with multiple people in the lane. You can easily get kills on underleveled trilanes. At level 6 if you are 2-2-1-1, anyone with less than 500 hp is dying immediately to a properly executing combo. The math gets a little fuzzier with strength heroes, since they lose even more HP with the Q.

Oh shit, didn't know about the movement slow being hp based. Reading skills OP I guess
blush.gif

I can do the chain/death combo well enough I think, but my chakram usage leaves a lot to be desired, I guess. Thinking about it, I was never really sure when the best point to use chakram is.

So this patch is launching... when? Dota doesn't have an official patch day, right?
I'll probably still keep playing (contrary to my better judgement), but network improvements sound wondrous.

**Is there a way to tell which server I'm on at a given time?

Razzer

Oh shit, didn't know about the movement slow being hp based. Reading skills OP I guess
blush.gif

I can do the chain/death combo well enough I think, but my chakram usage leaves a lot to be desired, I guess. Thinking about it, I was never really sure when the best point to use chakram is.

Remember. If you have gotten to level 6 and haven't died yet, then it's your lane. You own it now. If you don't waste your mana you should be able to bully people completely.

sixghost

blush.gif

It moves pretty slow, so you want to use it when you are closest to the enemy, i.e. right after the chain ends. Try to throw it a bit in front of them so they need to walk through the whole aoe.

Demoli

So, with update coming this week confirmed, that leaves today day 2, tomorrow test and then thrusday/friday release? One can hope.

Randdalf

I wonder if they'll pull a Sniper Update and do Abyssal Underlord as well. Probably too much to hope for. I wonder if they've done an Oracle arcana alongside the PA one.

inkls

Day 2 will have a follow up to the comic most likely as well as an introduction to Oracle with a description of his abilities and related balance log. PA arcana introduction. Possibly a Day 3 imo like they did with new bloom since they usually release test updates on Wednesday iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom