• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

final2e9st9.jpg

sad.gif

SamVimes

It's a funny but real fact that exxagerated adjective completely switch their meaning over long periods of time. In italian for example "olezzo" which stood for "extremely delicated and good smell" 50 years ago, now stand for "shitty smell". Similarly, ironical usages of terms like "beautiful" , are twisting the meaning of the terms in his opposite.

Olezzo still means good smell, it's a bad small only if you use it ironically, it's lezzo that is shitty smell you illiterate ass.

Just played perhaps the most fun match I've played. I didn't play particularly well (though by far my best Dark Seer performance) but it was a proper tactical battle at the end. We even all managed to avoid the temptation to push at the end, and left the creeps to it while we defended their final push like a brick wall.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1033084875

Nymerio

I've started solo queueing a bit because I got a bit frustrated with the guys I usually play with. I took this opportunity to play heroes I don't usually play and I've started with Timbersaw. I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm actually having playing alone and trying out 'new' heroes.

Can anyone give me some hints at how to play Timber effectively? I'm usually the guy who has the most gpm at the end of the game because I seem to be the only one pushing and farming but I feel like my impact in the game is not really where it should be. I go for arcane boots, bloodstone, bots (if I have really good farm) and shiva's, bkb, etc.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I can't believe that some of you are only just becoming familiar with Valve Time
This is a new low.

Why label something as a daily update when a.) you are putting it out on a Friday when you're not working the next two days, and b.) when you still don't update it when you get back to work the following week.

It makes no sense

Hylian7

This is a new low.

Why label something as a daily update when a.) you are putting it out on a Friday when you're not working the next two days, and b.) when you still don't update it when you get back to work the following week.

It makes no sense
Because Valve likes to release it when it's done, release dates be dammed. This is Valve time, and by now you should expect this.

I remember when the L4D2 demo was going to come out, they announced a date for it, then it came out the day after.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm not saying the patch should be out guys. I'm saying putting DAY 1 in the corner was a stupid move. The word 'day' means something. Should have just wrote PART 1 or nothing at all

yes it is a 24 hour period

it doesnt mean its consecutive

the last time they did this it wasnt

Yes it was?

The last multi-day update was New Bloom which went Sunday -> Monday -> Tuesday

It's always been sequential, I can't think of a single multi-day update Valve has ever done on any of their games that wasn't sequential. Except this one.

If they couldn't keep to daily updates they should have waited to announce anything until they could.

Hylian7

I'm not saying the patch should be out guys. I'm saying putting DAY 1 in the corner was a stupid move. The word 'day' means something. Should have just wrote PART 1 or nothing at all
It means that part 2 will come out another "day". You completely ignored the fact that the weekend passed. They will post it when it is ready. Patience.

New Bloom? Yes it was

Yes it was?

The last multi-day update was New Bloom which went Sunday -> Monday -> Tuesday

It's always been sequential, I can't think of a single multi-day update Valve has ever done on any of their games that wasn't sequential. Except this one.

If they couldn't keep to daily updates they should have waited to announce anything until they could.

oh my bad

what am i thinking of then

there was totally one that skipped a day at some point

It means that part 2 will come out another "day". You completely ignored the fact that the weekend passed. They will post it when it is ready. Patience.

It has always meant the next day would come on the next work day.

On every game Valve has ever had multi-day updates for it's worked like this. This time it's an anomaly and people have a right to be confused and a little disappointed. If they couldn't follow their own pattern and what the customer expects they shouldn't have done it that way

Kade

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I remember one of the update pages had a Friday Day 1 and it continued with Day 2 on Monday, which made sense. This is the first time they've skipped a weekday which is kind of weird, especially since they've already established how these updates roll out over the past 6 years with Team Fortress 2 and now Dota 2.

Day 2 is probably going to happen but I do think it's strange that it wasn't yesterday.

You see Valve, if you hadn't ignored my 17 resumes (16 and 17 had cover letters, I should add) maybe you wouldn't be in such a rut when it comes to communicating with your fanbase. My upvote ratio on Reddit speaks for itself.

Techies was announced and wasn't released until almost a week later, but was on the test client and wasn't multi-day.

TF2 has had ones that skipped weekends, but never a weekday.

There ya go.

First time for everything!

So you'd rather have them have a tuesday wednesday thursday update just to look "competent" instead of a fun tease on a friday and get released whenever it would have anyway?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe Valve should have changed it to part 1 on Satruday and left it at that, normally you would expect Day 2 soon after Day 1.

Really, I think I would have rather Valve did a tease on Friday, and release the Friday update the day before Day 2 comes. Unless the update is just that big this is the tease!!1

There ya go.

First time for everything!

So you'd rather have them have a tuesday wednesday thursday update just to look "competent" instead of a fun tease on a friday and get released whenever it would have anyway?
That wasn't the first time. It happened with Spring Cleaning and I think a couple of one off beta heroes as well. So it wasn't unexpected.

And yes, they shouldn't have announced Day 1 when they did.

Otherwise you see what happens. You can't really just abruptly go against people's expectations for no reason and without a reason given.

We don't need to know about the update a week in advance, they should have announced it when it was ready.

Quesa

Spring Cleaning and Techies were announced a week ahead of time and it worked because people knew more or less what to expect

Wraith Night and New Bloom were daily events and it worked because people knew what to expect, more or less.

The issue with this one is that they did both and sent mixed signals. I would rather they not have done Day X things and have just said next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom