• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Watching Dreamleague

Jess's nose piercing is pretty unattractive cause it looks like a massive booger stuck on her nose

She should have gotten a smaller one

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This is a new low.

Why label something as a daily update when a.) you are putting it out on a Friday when you're not working the next two days, and b.) when you still don't update it when you get back to work the following week.

It makes no sense

It seems plausible to me that they've shifted the release back to deal with server issues first.

sheever is wasted on these jokers

also i kind of doubt any fix to servers is any time soon

but thats my pessimism

i also think its clearly not a simple software fix

its a huge physical issue that will take months to fix with feet on the ground and lots of effort and time

not just simple 'throw money at it and magic happens' if that was the case it would have been fixed a long time ago and blizzard, riot, and valve wouldnt all be having issues with most of these things even if its not the same specific problem

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Server issues have been happening long before last week. This doesn't make any sense.

Server issues became much, much worse for me in the last week or so. They've gone from intermittent to constant. They're now so bad that tournaments are becoming unwatchable, which is kind of an issue when people have paid money for a ticket.

kvk1

Hey Matt, can you add DendiFace to the GAF extension since it's your emoticon?

cool.gif

Acinixys

I won like 15 games in a row, after that I've been losing every single game I play, WTF?! I feel sad :(

Forced 50 rule

You will always lose after you win to keep you at 50%

Only the top 1% of players in the world can break 55% win rate playing solo

If you stack its easier

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Brood's winrate would increase if they changed her suggested item build, Orchid usually isn't that great on her IMO.

Demoli

I wonder if Brood's winrate would increase if they changed her suggested item build, Orchid usually isn't that great on her IMO.

It's a "step into your jungle and risk dying to a solo brood" item though. I don't think it's the rush item, I think Vlads is better for that, but it's definitely a great item should you get it early enough.

Hylian7

You know, I really like how they changed PA's Blur. It makes so much sense to have her icon disappear when you aren't near her, as it makes your look at every creep wave for her. It also is more useful than the old one, as it didn't make sense to have her disappear when she was nearby, as chances are you were already staring her in the face, and didn't need to look for her on the minimap.

After months I tried some ranked games.

I think it is time to quit dota. Holy shit the community is the worst pile of shit on the planet and it gets worse by the day. I can't even remember it being that bad in Dota1. The beta days of dota2 sure were the glory days.
And if it was only that, but no, 50% of the people play like they can't think like 1 second ahead. Just wow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I think it is time to quit dota. Holy shit the community is the worst pile of shit on the planet and it gets worse by the day. I can't even remember it being that bad in Dota1. The beta days of dota2 sure were the glory days.
And if it was only that, but no, 50% of the people play like they can't think like 1 second ahead. Just wow.

The ranked phenomenon is fascinating to me. There's just a stark contrast between basic game skills that I seem to see at my tier between ranked and unranked. Like, if I'm playing unranked generally most of the other guys seem to have a comparable grasp of the mechanics and the flow. That doesn't mean a healthy portion aren't assholes, but they generally feel like they have a similar understanding of the game. The same absolutely cannot be said for ranked.

Kade

What's your MMR?

shira

Aww it's the end of the thread and I had all my rule34 webm's ready, but I can't post this shit at work.

TDA had the shitlist though.

Hylian7

What's your MMR?
This. Depending on your MMR, that sort of determines your tactics, whether it is "pick hero that can singlehandedly outplay the other team and win the game" or "actually pick for stuff like trilanes"

Another note: Dota 1 pubs are absolutely a mess compared to Dota 2.

I remember when ranked queue first dropped and for like the first few months it was a bastion of team play. People would actually pick support when there were too many carries and actually play like a team. Now it's devolved into a cesspool of selfish play where everyone doesn't speak English/picks a mid hero/last pick pudge or the dreaded carry afk jungler (I'm @ 3K so maybe it's better elsewhere...but that's my experience). I absolutely hate the prevalent attitude that the only way to rise in MMR is to pick a carry/midgame hero.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The ranked phenomenon is fascinating to me. There's just a stark contrast between basic game skills that I seem to see at my tier between ranked and unranked. Like, if I'm playing unranked generally most of the other guys seem to have a comparable grasp of the mechanics and the flow. That doesn't mean a healthy portion aren't assholes, but they generally feel like they have a similar understanding of the game. The same absolutely cannot be said for ranked.

One thing to remember is your unranked MMR is in a constant flux and likely does not use the same system ranked does, and has a larger player base making it easier to find a similarly skilled players to match with.

Your Ranked MMR does not change unless you play ranked, so unless you play a ton of ranked games, you can easily get very poor quality matches if you simply got scored a while back and rarely touched the mode, since your team can easily be several "tiers" below you. You can have higher expectations of what your team will do then what they will do, which can simply lead to a frustrating experience.

If you played ranked a bunch you would eventually get your ranked MMR and and unranked to be roughly equal, but you could have to slog though a bunch lower quality matches to get there, and can easily go on tilt in the process.

I have that feeling too, that is why I played unranked for months.

What's your MMR?

4200-4300. My highest was 4500 months ago.

But it doesn't even matter with the picks. I can lastpick and fill the hole in the team, I can firstpick (and my team doesn't give a shit and just randomly picks stuff). It seems whatever I do, it is futile.

edit: Also I don't say I play "better" or even perfect. Mistakes are always made. I have no problem if an ally makes a mistake.
It is the total ignorance of people that can't understand the most basic concepts of the game and THEN start to flame. Or just don't say anything the whole game. Or, like a Broodmother I queued with a few games ago, call at Pick "I am Offlane and will stay there WHOLE game". Every lane got destroyed, I got constantly ganked as Spectre bot because my Supports were both jungling and then he starts to rage. He really never moved from offlane, even as our T3 towers got attacked. I just can't understand people like that.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Exactly opposite for me. Been playing a lot of ranked since the introduction of alternating picks and Peruvian servers and it's been the best DOTA I've ever experienced. Jumped in to some unranked for hero challenge stuff and it's literally the sewer. Non-English speakers, abandons at least every 3rd game, people playing literally their first game, all carries, mid-lane staring contests, etc.

Chris R

oh god that Storms skill build.

Well actually almost everyone's build is bad but storms is particularly offensive because he went 9-1 with it.

That was apparently all my fault. I doomed him when I could, but doom doesn't really matter when I'm the only one who sticks around to fight. That was how it went all game. I get near an objective with two or three other teammates, proceed to doom one of the targets when they get within "trap" range, net them if I ate a troll and then get murdered when everyone else turned and ran.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Speaking of which, I would like to get better at Dota and to that end I'm pretty sure what I have to practice most, both to advance in Ranked and to become a better player overall, is both picking and executing on early aggression supports/gankers who can make space for the rest of the team. Do people have some recommendations for who I should take for a spin in ranked? I've had some success with Vengeful Spirit. I tend to shy away from heroes like Timbersaw just because, in a traditional support role at least you can fall back on being the ward carrier/mek builder.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I've started solo queueing a bit because I got a bit frustrated with the guys I usually play with. I took this opportunity to play heroes I don't usually play and I've started with Timbersaw. I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm actually having playing alone and trying out 'new' heroes.

Can anyone give me some hints at how to play Timber effectively? I'm usually the guy who has the most gpm at the end of the game because I seem to be the only one pushing and farming but I feel like my impact in the game is not really where it should be. I go for arcane boots, bloodstone, bots (if I have really good farm) and shiva's, bkb, etc.

Some basics:

Pick up two points in armor before both of your other skills are maxed. Usually take armor first at level 2, then the next point earlier if you're getting harassed a lot, sometimes at 4. Make sure you get two points before mid game and be mindful of your armor going in to fights.

Keep armor stacks up in lane by clicking on heroes and letting creeps get some swings in, this is very important.

Try to remember which trees you have destroyed in the short term, escaping from that second gank attempt can be hard if you already destroyed your best lifeline.

Remember that you can use skills together. Ex: Use your Q during timber chain to hit multiple targets, hitting a tree before you start moving for maximum effect. Use Q or chakram to clear trees ahead of you to timber chain to different positions.

The key to playing timber well is knowing exactly how much damage you can do while managing your mana, kind of like storm. Go in, get your damage in, but make sure you have a way out. You need to be aggressive once you get your full kit of skills, there are very few heroes that can keep up with you in damage output. Be very, very careful of getting silenced/disabled and picked off, you're going to want to dive and go nuts, don't do it.

Items: Don't write off soul ring early. I usually skip it if I'm playing against a tri lane, but 1v1 it's really, really good. Other items to consider are atos, blink, and ags, ags especially if you're playing against a team that wants to push really hard early. Going uphill against two chakrams is brutal, and makes the smaller time you get to farm more efficient. After a lot of messing around with item builds I think bloodstone take precedence over anything else and is core on the hero, so keep that up.

With regard to bkb, only get it when you absolutely need to. I think timber is a hero that really can take advantage of a heart and some magic armor and soak up a lot of damage for your team. Chain away, regen, come back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom