• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Being able to target trees with shackle would make it harder to target a person while he is juking in the trees, which is when you have very little time to target properly.
For reference, try to give a tango to somebody that is sitting in the trees.
I mean you could give a different targeting priority I suppose, but the difficulty would still exist
That's like saying Scythe of Vyse shouldn't be targetable on creeps because it is too hard to get the hero if they walk into a cluster of creeps.

Hupsel

Another kool Shackle buff:

- You can target shackle anywhere on the ground, like a bear trap. Invisible. If a hero walks over it he gets stunned for the duration and linked to a tree for X seconds (if there's a tree nearby).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's like saying Scythe of Vyse shouldn't be targetable on creeps because it is too hard to get the hero if they walk into a cluster of creeps.

There is a hero targeting priority, I'm pretty sure of that.

Trees, however, have very wonky hitboxes, and if you're chasing someone who'll show up for maybe a split second, it's very easy to hit the wrong tree.

Volodja

I would argue that being able to target creeps is a pretty marginal feature of sheep that possibly exists as a balancing factor (or persists as such, in the sense that it wasn't created as one but it is now) in such a situation, yes, because the amounts of times it ends up being useful is far less (is there even an instance of that with lane creeps?) than the amounts of times it fucks people over.
But I wouldn't say to remove it because, as I said, that is part of the balancing of Sheepstick, and to remove it a case should be made for it needing to be taken out because, after all, it's the person that wants to change the status quo that has to find the reasons for it, not the opposite. And I would hardly say that Sheep needs a buff (because I would regard it such)
That considered, I would count Shackle being able to target trees as actually a nerf for it, because the times it would fuck people over I estimate would vastly outnumber the times it would be of benefit.
Mechanical barriers are, after all, part of balancing.

And as I already said and Haly reiterated, when people juke in the trees, you don't even SEE them if not for split seconds, hardly the same case as people moving among creeps.

Hylian7

There is a hero targeting priority, I'm pretty sure of that.

Trees, however, have very wonky hitboxes, and if you're chasing someone who'll show up for maybe a split second, it's very easy to hit the wrong tree.

I would argue that being able to target creeps is a pretty marginal feature of sheep that possibly exists as a balancing factor (or persists as such, in the sense that it wasn't created for it but it is now) in such a situation, yes, because the amounts of times it ends up being useful is far less (is there even an instance of that with lane creeps?) than the amounts of times it fucks people over.
But I wouldn't say to remove it because, as I said, that is part of the balancing of Sheepstick, and to remove it a case should be made for it needing to be taken out because, after all, it's the person that wants to change the status quo that has to find the reasons for it, not the opposite. And I would hardly say that Sheep needs a buff (because I would consider it such)
That said, I would count Shackle being able to target trees as actually a nerf for it, because the times it would fuck people over I estimate would vastly outnumber the times it would be of benefit.
Mechanical barriers are, after all, part of balancing.

And as I already said and Haly reiterated, when people juke in the trees, you don't even SEE them if not for split seconds, hardly the same case as people moving among creeps.
So then they just need to fix tree hitboxes and this would be a good buff

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Well that's her problem right? She has no clear strengths. (No, anti-juke is not a strength!)

I think her strength might be that she has the potential to stun two heroes for 3.75s with an ability on a 12s CD. Mirana's strength is arrow, WR's is shackle. Dat big skill-shot disable.

Man I remember when people were all saying, "mirana won't ever be picked because WR is just a better version!" O' how the times have changed. Anyhow, I think we'll just see more focus fire buffs. It's still a relatively underwhelming ultimate, and the rest of windrunner's skills are already amazing. Maybe shackle to a 4s stun at max level.

And yeah, I think volodja might be right here. Making shackle targettable on trees, might just make WR's winrate go down unintentionally as lower level players desperately click in the trees and miss 9/10 blind shackle shots with a million possible tree to tree linkingsl, instead of just windrunning into the trees, getting some vision, and nailing a guaranteed shackle.

Haunted

That's something I think Dota could do better. The potential impact of certain skills isn't always totally clear.

Examples are Tidebringer or Powershot.

Being able to toggle Windrun but having it drain mana rapidly would be kinda cool to play around with.

Haly

I think her strength might be that she has the potential to stun two heroes for 3.75s with an ability on a 12s CD. Mirana's strength is arrow, WR's is shackle. Dat big skill-shot disable.

What separates Mirana from WR, though, is the utility behind their ults. Focus Fire is just too narrow and not strong enough for the kind of hero WR is. Why give her mid when you can give it to someone with a worthwhile ult?
That's something I think Dota could do better. The potential impact of certain skills isn't always totally clear.

Examples are Tidebringer or Powershot.
I actually like it this way. It gives learning heroes a sense of discovery you don't get in a game like League, where every skill is designed with a clear "optimal usage" in mind.

TUSR

Banned
What separates Mirana from WR, though, is the utility behind their ults. Focus Fire is just too narrow and not strong enough for the kind of hero WR is. Why give her mid when you can give it to someone with a worthwhile ult?

WR ult is good for rosh and towers if we had to define a strength for it

Haunted

Windranger with a deso focus firing a tower kills it quicker than Mirana ever could.

That said, Mirana's ult is more utility and doubles as initiation and escape instead of just dps. It's hard to compare them directly.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I find it odd TB fell off so hard, since he seems to win in most of the games I see him in. I guess people don't feel like playing him any more since he can no longer get a guaranteed solo kill on a person at level 2.

He's very reliant on his team now, both in lane and during the mid to late game when he wants room to split push (also needs teammates to initiate for him so he can sit in the back with multiple illusions).

The popular pub fotm picks are usually the lone wolf or the "I'm going to 1v5 heroes" aka old TB, current Void, tinker, and razor (to name a few). These are heroes that you pick and don't immediately think, "gee I hope my team supports me for 15 minutes and initiates for me and blablabla," na, you pick one of these guys, go offlane or mid and then do your own thing. TB can do his own thing once he has a minimum of 5 items.

Volodja

So then they just need to fix tree hitboxes and this would be a good buff
I already considered a change of priorities in targeting, it doesn't help much with targets that drift in and out of sight in half a second.
In general the chance to click the wrong thing is probably higher than the chance that this addition would be useful. After all it is basically a blind shackle.
After all we have professional players that Doom or hex the wrong thing once in a while, and that's an harder mistake to make than the scenario I presented.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sand King is quickly becoming my favorite hero (of the week)

Just need to work on my jungling to improve my blink/level 6 timing
He's such an insanely good pub hero. Magical AOE + 2s stun + 2 escapes + initiation for your team that won't fight + can AFK jungle for free.

Can even split push later with caustic.
Also I really think ES is best soloing offlane now. He does okay mid, but really shines on offlane. Soul Ring ES is awesome.
Agreed, better offlane so you can just kill enemy carry at 6 and over and over again. Literally nothing they can do.

How would you guys deal with the Abandonning issue? I can't think of a way to do it so it punishes actual abandoners, and is more lenient on people who just have unforeseen internet issues

Haly

Give 500 bonus range when WR has Focus Fire on. And Vision (but not truesight).

Razzer

Focus Fire replaced by Tempest:

Windrunner (ranger ugh) summons a large Hurricane that covers the targeted area. Inside this area, enemies are slowed by 100% if they turn to face the direction of the wind.

No idea how this would work coding wise or if it's under or over powered but hey, throwing ideas out.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How would you guys deal with the Abandonning issue? I can't think of a way to do it so it punishes actual abandoners, and is more lenient on people who just have unforeseen internet issues

is there a widespread abandoning issue?

Think the system is fine as is—do it too often, and you get thrown in LPQ. Ragequit one game a month or have some issues? That's okay.

Haly

I don't really understand the single target nature of Focus Fire. I think the Frog just wanted something to go with the name because it's outshone by every other similar ult.

DP's is better for DPS because she can cast, attack and move during it, it just deals more damage, and she can hit more than one target.

Troll's is better as AS because it's a global buff, and he's a hero that works well with AS.

Lion/Lina are better at single target damage because burst is better than damage over time for killing one guy very fast.

Razzer

So... everyone's running around in circles?

LET'S DANCE MOTHERFUCKER

I was thinking the wind would be going in a straight line rather than a tornado. I failed at naming, pls forgive me. What do you think of the idea though, could it be useful?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Spoken like a true DP player.

Yeah but what you said and what I said are completely different. Either way it wasn't too serious and would just be useless.

What was that thing from StarCraft II called that could move while attacking? It was only in the campaign.

Phoenixes do it, protoss air to air units, and it would be like that. Also they are not just in campaign.

Chris R

He's such an insanely good pub hero. Magical AOE + 2s stun + 2 escapes + initiation for your team that won't fight + can AFK jungle for free.

Can even split push later with caustic.

Yup yup yup yup yup.

If I could just get my jungle sped up a little bit faster to get blink at say 8 instead of 10 I'd be pumped.

Haly

I was thinking the wind would be going in a straight line rather than a tornado. I failed at naming, pls forgive me. What do you think of the idea though, could it be useful?

I think it's conceptually neat but I have to ask "Why would I want this over Centaur's ult?".
Yeah but what you said and what I said are completely different. Either way it wasn't too serious and would just be useless.
I don't think it would be useless. I play Mael-Blink/Force WR now, and one of my problems is sticking to a target long enough to get the full benefit from Focus Fire. If I just right click, WR will do a kind of awkward shuffle as she catches up and then moves forward and inch before attempting another attack. Which means I need to orb walk her despite having max attack speed, missing out on attacks and leaving room for retaliation. If I could chase and cast spells without stopping my attacks, her early game ganks would be much more consistent.

She would still be bad but more consistent at being bad at least.

Razzer

I think it's conceptually neat but I have to ask "Why would I want this over Centaur's ult?".

Cus the other team can't run away if used properly. Cast it so the wind is going toward you at a chokepoint for instance, and they can't get out. It forces them to man up, and could prevent disengages (or force them to buy forcestaffs as a counter.)

Edit: and if you put it facing away from your team then any blink initiators will be nervous as their team can't follow up quickly. It forces them to invest in mobility, which can give you an edge. I don't know how long the duration or the size of the AOE would be.

Hylian7

Phoenixes do it, protoss air to air units, and it would be like that. Also they are not just in campaign.
BigAT had the one I was thinking of. It's been a long time since I played SC2 and forgot Phoenixes could do that.

Haly

Cus the other team can't run away if used properly. Cast it so the wind is going toward you at a chokepoint for instance, and they can't get out. It forces them to man up, and could prevent disengages (or force them to buy forcestaffs as a counter.)

Is it Global?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom