• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Hylian7

I will miss you Mei and Hanzo.

Ahl7LFX.png

He's actually balanced though.

Damnit I kinda want to buy overwatch

I'm sure it's going to be fucking miserable to play alone but otherwise it's great fun

But I'm so terrible

But I need a good shooter in my life again

Decisions...

Pratfall

Damnit I kinda want to buy overwatch

I'm sure it's going to be fucking miserable to play alone but otherwise it's great fun

But I'm so terrible

But I need a good shooter in my life again

Decisions...

we are gonna have a crew going for it rodriguez. and the cross region play isn't bad at all (like 100 ping).

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
As a closed beta player I had a ton of fun with overwatch for a few months, but after that the game burned out for me. The game is composition based, so playing with playing with pubs is most often a nightmare filled with shitty widows and genjis. If you play with a full 6 stack and you care about winning you need to have people that enjoy playing tanks/healers, otherwise you have to rotate playing something that isn't very fun.

Playing support or utility is usually fun for me in dota, unless it's consecutive 5 pos games against invis, but something about not being able to kill people effectively in a shooter just drains all the fun out of it for me. These days I'd rather just play CS where I can be a "support" based on the things that I do rather than the class I choose, and not be limited by it. If you can take yourself out of the FPS mindset and instead apply a MOBA or MMO style I'm sure it can be very fun, but I can't. Being almost completely helpless to a class based counterpick, ie support getting flanked by genji, tracer, reaper, mccree, just feels terrible.

TLDR: In my experience game was fun to mess around with, but taking it to a more interesting level was a huge headache.

Quesa

I get why you'd burn out after a while, but "a few months" of fun seems well worth $40 for me. Not saying you should buy it now since you got your fill of it, though.

Pratfall

As a closed beta player I had a ton of fun with overwatch for a few months, but after that the game burned out for me. The game is composition based, so playing with playing with pubs is most often a nightmare filled with shitty widows and genjis. If you play with a full 6 stack and you care about winning you need to have people that enjoy playing tanks/healers, otherwise you have to rotate playing something that isn't very fun.

Playing support or utility is usually fun for me in dota, unless it's consecutive 5 pos games against invis, but something about not being able to kill people effectively in a shooter just drains all the fun out of it for me. These days I'd rather just play CS where I can be a "support" based on the things that I do rather than the class I choose, and not be limited by it. If you can take yourself out of the FPS mindset and instead apply a MOBA or MMO style I'm sure it can be very fun, but I can't. Being almost completely helpless to a class based counterpick, ie support getting flanked by genji, tracer, reaper, mccree, just feels terrible.

TLDR: In my experience game was fun to mess around with, but taking it to a more interesting level was a huge headache.

I think this is a valid concern, but I do think overwatch does some things to deal with this problem. Outside of Mercy, pretty much all the supports have some amount of killing power. Lucio's healing is totally passive and he can pretty much shoot the whole time. Symmetra can kill with her turrets or charge shot while still shielding people. Zenyatta is a very offensive support (orb of discord plus charged shot can kill a ton of heroes). I think that these things can still be tweaked to make the support role more consistently fun, but it seems off to a solid start.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I get why you'd burn out after a while, but "a few months" of fun seems well worth $40 for me. Not saying you should buy it now since you got your fill of it, though.

I'm not saying don't buy it, a month of enjoyment seems to be about average for most games. Just sharing my experience.

I think this is a valid concern, but I do think overwatch does some things to deal with this problem. Outside of Mercy, pretty much all the supports have some amount of killing power. Lucio's healing is totally passive and he can pretty much shoot the whole time. Symmetra can kill with her turrets or charge shot while still shielding people. Zenyatta is a very offensive support (orb of discord plus charged shot can kill a ton of heroes). I think that these things can still be tweaked to make the support role more consistently fun, but it seems off to a solid start.

Yeah, supports can fire back, but they are comparatively so much weaker. Sure, Lucio can fire his gun but compare it to any of the offensive cast and the power difference is massive. I'm not arguing for it to be changed either, it needs to be this way otherwise you'd just have a team of 4 Lucio's running train killing everything and healing each other going insanely fast the entire game.

Sym can kill people as well, sure, but it has to be super close range and relies on whatever is in that range missing her. Her ttk on all (I'm pretty certain) of the offensive cast will be slower as long as they hit most of their shots unless you're in a turret farm. In that case they shouldn't be there anyway, whatever.

Zen is by far my favorite support thanks to his supreme offensive ability, I honestly enjoy his weapon the most in the game. But his healing has been nerfed into oblivion over time, and his mobility/hp just makes him a sitting duck against vigilant gankers. This weakness is mitigated by coordinated play, but good finding that out in the wild. Even with friends it takes a huge effort and is very difficult to protect him. Zen is an offensive debuffer more than anything, discord is a more powerful tool than his heal by far, transcendence is ok.

All these things come back to how the game works, if supports were just as able to kill as offensive characters, supports would just be picked all the time for their utility.

man I only played for about a week and got burned out for the same reasons. surprised you lasted as long as you did, frankly.

I think, honestly, the game will suffer for having so many characters. it's not easy to balance games like that, and there's so much potential for the game to end up being totally FOTM.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
9k mmr. I wonder if valve is really gonna just let the numbers continue to climb indefinitely. At this point it seems like everything above 7k is super inflated. Who else is miracle supposed to play against other than those he has already beat?

Also 4 day weekend, suck it nerds

Wok

9k mmr. I wonder if valve is really gonna just let the numbers continue to climb indefinitely. At this point it seems like everything above 7k is super inflated. Who else is miracle supposed to play against other than those he has already beat?

How changing the mmr scale would solve the problem, which is that Miracle- is super above every other player (very high skill on a very large hero pool and large array of roles)?

Acinixys

MMR should reset to 0 every 3 months

Top 100 players in each region get a special badge in their profile that stays till the next reset

Fixed

shira

Also 4 day weekend, suck it nerds

Don't forget the pro scene. When his OG contract is up there is going to be a bidding war for his services after TI6.

Artanisix

procarbine was destroyed by genji so he babyraged and uninstalled

jk

I abhor military shooters. Overwatch appeals to me a lot more than CS:GO does. It's the one modern shooter that I really enjoy. The matches are quick and I'm not really invested in winning or losing, so having imperfect/crappy team comps hardly bother me. I also have a lot of fun solo queueing. I used to play a lot of Unreal so many of my shooter tastes stem from that series.

I heavily dislike:
- massive recoil (and by proxy, bullets NOT going where your crosshair is)
- losing your momentum upon being shot**
- accuracy penalties while moving**
- lack of vertical and horizontal mobility**
- the "slow paced" nature of military shooters (more standing/camping/peeking)
- the general aesthetic of military shooters
**all fall under general movement (or lack-thereof)

Also, no offense to mumblegaf cuz I love you guys but y'all rage harder than secret hitler when playing CSGO and I want none of that.

TL;DR halo > csgo

Quesa

yea people who advocate mmr resetting really don't understand how awful thats gonna be.

im convinced

On a universal scale, which would put miracle back with people with normies for a few games? Nah, don't want it.

On a personal level, so I can play with people who suck as much as I do after having not played for months? I want it so badly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
yea people who advocate mmr resetting really don't understand how awful thats gonna be.

im convinced

I think it would be great for anyone 3.5k and under (Which is what, 90% of the community?), and god awful for anyone 4.5k and up. I guess the question is, is what's "good" for the majority really good for them in the long run? Would pissing off a large amount of the high end players really good for the game's overall health?

For something like Hearthstone, I feel the monthly resets are horrible though. I wouldn't mind say every 3 months in that game, but every month makes it feel pointless to dedicate ladder climbing.

Chris R

im convinced

Make it optional, ez

And fuck hearthstone, tried playing it again with the new expansion pack thing being out and I've won 3 games out of 30.

Top Bottom