• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

GorillaJu

harson how do I
anuxi_mirana.gif

(off/roam)

Don't worry too much about hitting long distance arrows, leap in, Starfall + extra hit is a lot of dmg and a close range arrow is still a nice big bonus.

Start with the 235 gold +25ms item, a branch or two, salve and faerie fire. slippers if you have the money. if i need to buy a ward, I skip the slippers

phase boots if you're offlane and soloing a carry
mana boots so you can throw more arrows, if you are getting completely pushed out of lane
keep brown boots until travels if you're doing well economically

go mek if your team needs it, aquila or drums depending on which you need (damage / mana sustain or tankiness)

scepter/blink is good, orchid is fine too if the situation calls for it. Lotus Orb is really effective in some games I prioritize it

Hylian7

I actually keep forgetting raindrops exist, and probably should get then when supports are being aggressive on me mid in particular, but any lane is good too.

Those teammates on core roles that take the Tomes for themselves are greedy as all hell though. Those things are for the supports, cores are getting all the levels they need from farming.

I always ban Alch because the dota 2 effect is in full effect for me for that hero. On my team he gets a 10 min midas and then a 20 min battlefury and on the enemy team his team perfectly protects his ancients stack and at 25 mins we're losing rax.
Yeah, Slark is my first choice ban, and if someone has nominated him already, it's Alch. I always hate playing against him because you have to rely on your random (if solo queueing) teammates helping you stop him completely. You bully him mid, but acid still gets him CS, and he still has a jungle if he has to leave mid. If he's bad, the problem corrects itself, but relying on lack of skill of your enemy is not a solid strategy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm sad that Radiance does enough damage to burn up Raindrop. Enemy Alch got a radiance really fast, and his illusions got rid of it before I realized what was happening :(

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
there's a gap for them to use their mobility/fuck off ice cocoon/etc skill

No there isn't, but the stun duration is very short.

I mean like I'll get it off and somehow I don't connect enough pellets to kill them. Not saying it's the game's fault, just that I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I get killed by Roadhogs doing that to me and I don't do the same as him.

You need to practice hitting the shot dead center and hitting a melee immediately after, that's what gets you the kills. Ultra gosu pro roadhog does an alt fire shot ahead of the hook for even more damage and forgiveness on the combo.

Sibylus

Banned
Are you sure you're firing the shotgun mode and not the medium range alt fire? I made the same goof and immediately started getting combo kills once I realized that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Today marks my 2 week anniversary since I got clean from Dota. Are you guys proud of me or what?
dac15_cool.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Today marks my 2 week anniversary since I got clean from Dota. Are you guys proud of me or what?
dac15_cool.gif

LiQuid!
I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
(Today, 04:33 AM)

You might be free of Dota but you'll never escape the toxicity.

LiQuid!

It's true, Dota has irreparably shaped me into this husk of a man that I am.
tears.gif

Red UFO

"Overwatch represents a new low in microtransactions"

can we just delete the gaming discussion forum already, it's an embarrassment these days

Low Tier
Regarding Alchemist:

I was talking about this in khanhs chat with some of his viewers, but I think the main problem with Alchemist is that he changes the game for all 9 other players, which is why I think fundamentally he's considered an 'un-fun' hero for many.

As an alchemist teammate, you're forced to cater to that hero in the sense that if he's neutered, your mid is essentially not only worthless, but will always be worth good gold for the enemy team when ganked. This prevents your team from drafting around other cores as much and getting away with it, as a certain amount of space and protection is needed to foster an alchemist's growth.

As an alchemist opponent, it's even worse in that you MUST answer that hero or risk watching the game slip out of your hands over the course of 10-15 minutes as he outfarms and then outfights your team. Even with the presence of strict counters like AA or Ursa, he can also choose to avoid fights as much as possible, and using the cover of his 4 teammates, farm until he is comfortably ahead. Thus, a team that is playing against Alchemist not only has to play cat and mouse with Alchemist the whole time, but not be taken advantage of by his teammates that can somewhat predict their movement.

Alchemist is one of those heroes that changes the map for the other 9 players, in a fashion that I think is even worse than techies in its prime. Rework this hero already.

Alchemist is one of those heroes that changes the map for the other 9 players, in a fashion that I think is even worse than techies in its prime. Rework this hero already.
Does support Alchemist need to make a comeback, then? Is the "shitty base stats but really good gold gain" concept inherently broken or is it salvageable?

kionedrik

Just a random thought:
With the addition of echo saber and the rework of armlet and blademail, the buffs radiance and blink got in the past and the fact diffusal carriers (PL/AM) aren't that popular, why aren't we seeing a lot more WK?

Just a random thought:
With the addition of echo saber and the rework of armlet and blademail, the buffs radiance and blink got in the past and the fact diffusal carriers (PL/AM) aren't that popular, why aren't we seeing a lot more WK?

In the pro scene, because beastmaster is/was popular. roar + necro easily drains all of wk mana and WK doesnt deal with early pushes very well.
Then you have lion who is/was the most popular support and he has his own mana drain

LiQuid!

"Overwatch represents a new low in microtransactions"

can we just delete the gaming discussion forum already, it's an embarrassment these days

Someone needs to tell OP in that thread that Dota has been locking taunts and emotes behind a paywall for years. A literal paywall at that and not just "play long enough to get the free currency to unlock."

Seriously, what an embarrassing thread.

sand king needs changes like

numbers of pulses per channeling time, just so it gets X amound of pulses if it gets interrupted
remove uam from caustic finale, and let it get applied to creeps at half the damage with aghs
310 base ms OR slightler bigger range of lvl 1 burrow

Hylian7

sand king needs changes like

numbers of pulses per channeling time, just so it gets X amound of pulses if it gets interrupted
remove uam from caustic finale, and let it get applied to creeps at half the damage with aghs
310 base ms OR slightler bigger range of lvl 1 burrow

I never have understood why Caustic Finale still is a UAM. There's no other UAM in the game that would be broken if it were to stack with it. The only one you could possibly make an argument for is Maelstrom/Mjollnir because it would result in a ton of AoE damage just from attacks, when he has huge AoE spells already, but even then I don't really think that would be broken.

Every patch I keep expecting it's UAM status to be removed, but nope, IceFrog is adamant about keeping it for some reason.

kionedrik

In the pro scene, because beastmaster is/was popular. roar + necro easily drains all of wk mana and WK doesnt deal with early pushes very well.
Then you have lion who is/was the most popular support and he has his own mana drain

Completely forgot about BM and necros. His popularity seems to be falling so we'll see if that makes WK viable again.
I think Lion's mana drain is a non-issue honestly, unless it's an early game gank in which pretty much every carry dies. Mid or late game, he'll blink in, drop his load and 9/10 times move out instead of staying and draining his mana.
I'm also not convinced that he doesn't like early pushes. If you force the enemy to focus you and waste 2 or 3 ultis and you reincarnate afterwards, you have very good chances of turning it around (assuming you're not defending or pushing alone obviously).

Quesa

Regarding Alchemist:

I was talking about this in khanhs chat with some of his viewers, but I think the main problem with Alchemist is that he changes the game for all 9 other players, which is why I think fundamentally he's considered an 'un-fun' hero for many.

As an alchemist teammate, you're forced to cater to that hero in the sense that if he's neutered, your mid is essentially not only worthless, but will always be worth good gold for the enemy team when ganked. This prevents your team from drafting around other cores as much and getting away with it, as a certain amount of space and protection is needed to foster an alchemist's growth.

As an alchemist opponent, it's even worse in that you MUST answer that hero or risk watching the game slip out of your hands over the course of 10-15 minutes as he outfarms and then outfights your team. Even with the presence of strict counters like AA or Ursa, he can also choose to avoid fights as much as possible, and using the cover of his 4 teammates, farm until he is comfortably ahead. Thus, a team that is playing against Alchemist not only has to play cat and mouse with Alchemist the whole time, but not be taken advantage of by his teammates that can somewhat predict their movement.

Alternatively, #bringbacktechies

Also thanks for the Roadhog tips everyone. Been owning these training bots but no idea how I'll fare in a real match

These game sometimes. This is like my 4th game as single sup against mass invis heroes and my 4 teammates do not even consider buying detection.

I've told them I'm afk until someone else buys detection. 10mins later, nothing. Not on pair of sentry that would spare them from several deaths costing them over thousands of gold in the long run.

N o t h i n g. The fewest ever communicate to begin with.

Just unreal this shit at 5.7k mmr. The trench never ends.

e:
And this game started with orange afk for a minute and then, instead of picking a support to help against brood, randoms and picks fucking anti mage.

e2:
And our juggernaut that went against the brood fails to buy pms.

All hope was lost at that point to be honest.

I don't think I've ever not managed to bubble up as Zarya before taking damage, are you sure there's not a window?

Fun fact: I hadn't played Zarya since the beta because I didn't understand how her kit worked. Played her a bit yesterday and did much work. Very satisfying hero as long as you time those bubbles right. But that's not as easy as it appears sometimes. Sort of like using Genji's reflect.

Wok

These game sometimes. This is like my 4th game as single sup against mass invis heroes and my 4 teammates do not even consider buying detection.

I've told them I'm afk until someone else buys detection. 10mins later, nothing. Not on pair of sentry that would spare them from several deaths costing them over thousands of gold in the long run.

N o t h i n g. The fewest ever communicate to begin with.

Just unreal this shit at 5.7k mmr. The trench never ends.

Buy gem. Either lose gem and game finishes faster, or get some kills just by being near your uncommunicative carry, which might help them get less stupidly toxic and toxicly stupid.

yep, gem ends games early. or rapier if carry

fantastic item.

also I don't understand tipping. I've been tipping like a fiend and I got tipped last night but I didn't get any tokens? or does the tip translate to battle points? but I use tokens when I tip? and somehow all the tokens I tip get returned when I level up or something?

silly system, but I still commend non-toxic players for fun things like LEADERSHIP and TEACHING.

Top Bottom