• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Chris R

I mentioned this before, but:
Just Uber it, especially if you're staying with friends. I did an AirBnB last year in Capitol Hill (i.e. not anywhere close the arena), but just took an Uber every day to the arena. Cost me about $6 and when split 3 ways was about the same as taking the bus would have cost.

I didn't want to uber from some place that far away. I'm fine walking, and actually prefer it since that keeps me close (well, not so close this year) in case stuff happens before or after. I had an AirBnB on Beacon Hill a week or two ago for my Birthday and it was nice being only a few blocks from the light rail, would have used it again but it was already booked :(

Hylian7

I didn't want to uber from some place that far away. I'm fine walking, and actually prefer it since that keeps me close (well, not so close this year) in case stuff happens before or after. I had an AirBnB on Beacon Hill a week or two ago for my Birthday and it was nice being only a few blocks from the light rail, would have used it again but it was already booked :(

The first day I made the mistake of trying walking the 2 miles from my hotel. With all the hills in Seattle, and the fact that I was carrying a bag of Secret Shop stuff back, I realized I made a mistake and took the bus the rest of the week.

My hotel this year is less than a mile from the arena, so I can walk for sure (and most of that mile is through Seattle Center, it's not far past the McDonalds and EMP museum).

So I heard RTZ blew it while I was at work, but what happened in the EG games? PPD's drafts suck?

Not sure if you knew that RTZ's in Team Secret now?

Doesn't matter all that much since both EG and Secret are out
tears.gif

Chris R

The first day I made the mistake of trying walking the 2 miles from my hotel. With all the hills in Seattle, and the fact that I was carrying a bag of Secret Shop stuff back, I realized I made a mistake and took the bus the rest of the week.

My hotel this year is less than a mile from the arena, so I can walk for sure (and most of that mile is through Seattle Center, it's not far past the McDonalds and EMP museum).

I'm staying just outside of Pike Place market instead of in the center of Belltown. It looks like the D bus could get me there and back no problem, but again if I'm gonna sit on my ass a good portion of the day, a 1.2 mile walk before and after will be welcomed.

shira

STREAMS
Twitch Stream
Youtube Stream
Steam Broadcast
- expect delays

1. Upper Bracket1 Bo3
DC vs Newbee
t1465351200z1.png

2. Upper Bracket1 Bo3
LGD vs Fnatic
t1465363200z1.png

3. Lower Bracket2 Bo3 (Elimination)
CoL vs Liquid
t1465375200z1.png

4. Lower Bracket2 Bo3 (Elimination)
[A] vs Navi
t1465387200z1.png

VODS
Missed any matches?
Full-day Twitch VOD's (not mobile friendly - full day broadcast ~10-12 hours)
Full-day Youtube VOD's (not mobile friendly - full day broadcast ~10-12 hours)
Single Match Youtube VOD's (mobile friendly - each game is available for individual viewing ~30-80 minutes)
Download the games in the free Dota 2 client for full access to each player's perspective and free camera views (Caster audio may be glitched)

shira

Seattle has hills?

Capitol Hill is a densely populated residential district in Seattle, Washington, United States. It is one of the city's most prominent nightlife and entertainment districts, and the center of the city's counterculture communities.

Chris R

Seattle has hills?

Just a few.

I thought about renting a bike when I was there in May but decided against trying to bike up a 300ft hill @ 6% grade after heavy drinking at the baseball games...Riding the train + elevator was much easier lol

I thought about renting a bike when I was there in May but decided against trying to bike up a 300ft hill @ 6% grade after heavy drinking at the baseball games...Riding the train + elevator was much easier lol
This would be one of the few times good sense has been exercised by someone that's been heavily drinking.

Hylian7

FYI if you've never been to Seattle before, probably want to bring a jacket of some kind. It might get cold, even in August. At the very least it can be cold in the arena sometimes.

Chris R

FYI if you've never been to Seattle before, probably want to bring a jacket of some kind. It might get cold, even in August. At the very least it can be cold in the arena sometimes.

I'm hoping it's more like TI4 when it was almost 80+ every single day now that I'm staying in a place with AC.

But yes, bring a jacket, if not because it might be "cold" but because it can also rain a ton.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
did you guys know the overwatch subreddit has more subs than the hearthstone subreddit

gotdamn this game is huge

Tryhard gaffers thinking Overwatch wasn't going to be gigantic

TUSR

Banned

a couple of the days i sat on my ass inside the arena for all the games, walking around between games/matches and got chilled

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Not sure if you knew that RTZ's in Team Secret now?

Doesn't matter all that much since both EG and Secret are out
tears.gif

??

I am quite aware, lol - hence my saying RTZ blew it as an implicit understanding of Secret going out, but separating him from EG's loss.

Isnt that the case though? There are plenty of trash items, some really expensive ones and items inbetween.

No. Nothing made beyond 2014 has had any sort of predictability to its value. Things that should unique end up flooding the market by the thousands while items that find value only find it because of regionally-limited releases. There was a time when "Immortal" meant something and when some items only became available for a limited time only and remained hard to get. Pudge hooks, Void Timebreakers, Unusual couriers. Shit like that. Now? Every immortal is as likely to be worth $20 as it is to be worth $2 by the time the smoke clears. Nothing is logically rare anymore and almost everything sees the bottom drop out of its value. Things get re-released destroying what value some things may have temporarially had. Shit like that. It's just not a good look and one of the core reasons why a lot of people stopped trading in Dota2 and either moved back to TF2 or onto CSGo where better, more logical and predictable systems were still in place.

Thorin delivering the hit on RTZ that he deserves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxFiIgYSLg

Had to look it up since you didn't like it.

And the church said, "amen." I feel like I just heard a 35 minute sermon and looked around to see when the collection plate was going to pass me. How long have I been saying the same shit in a far less verbose way? Not everything that glitters is gold, friends. And when you have a roster that was good enough to win it all, you don't fuck with that roster. Because not every "upgrade" on paper will be an upgrade in real life. Whether it's style, personality, ability to work well with others, etc...you have to understand why you are successful and you have to understand that the odds of upgrading when you're already at or near the top already by changing out a part are slim...while the odds of fucking everything up are high.

The history of sports franchises are riddled with organizations that have made talent changes at essential positions thinking they were upgrading (say Andrew Luck for Peyton Manning, bringing in Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks, adding Carlos Boozer to the Jazz, Tiger Woods firing Butch Harmon) only to find out otherwise. Perhaps its a matter of age and maturity (which comes with experience). These sorts of things are obvious to me, but I'm probably the oldest person in the thread. I've seen all this same shit before across a lifetime of competitive experiences as an athlete and as a fan of better athletes in college and pros. I have to wonder who is advising these kids (and yea, many of you here are kids to me as well) at this level to ensure they don't just fall off a fucking cliff with roster changes. I wonder because Dota2 is high fucking stakes indeed. Gone are the days when $1000 winnings were something to look forward to as a good player on a good team. People are playing for millions of dollars and that can't be overstated. Win one of these tournaments and you can set your future family out for a couple of generations if you manage your money right. In light of such potential impact, it would seem to me that there would be value in having advisor staff that can help the players make intelligent decisions with their rosters and help squash personality issues and help bring the best out of these talented individuals. To date, I haven't seen much evidence of that for any of these teams.

Lastly, might I say how much the Jeff VanGundy quote he mentioned resonates with me:

“Your best players have to unite and inspire the group… otherwise, they’ll divide the group”

Yes, they must. Whether we're talking about pro matches, queuing with friends or assembling IHL rosters, players have to be about the business of being good (with all the practice and effort that requires), but the leaders must be about the business of being the best while encouraging the best out of those around them so that their burden is easier and everyone can be successful. The best players on the team thus have a dual role. Failing to appreciate the additional burden creates failed teams that should otherwise be successful and a trail of broken dreams along the way.

I wish all these players and teams the best of luck but I do hope they find some proper guidance and a staff of advisors that can help them work out their individual and collective issues, many of which are not related to the mechanical and technical experience of playing dota2. For their sake and the future of the esport.

Top Bottom