• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Isn't Monster Hunter just a slower and more clunky Souls game?

Only ever played the latest one last year on 3DS and that's exactly how I perceived it. Spent 60h with it and hat little fun and remember virtually nothing of it 365 days later. It was all boss fights and I did not like the boss fights at all.

I recall so little of that experience I might as well have not played it honestly.

Not sure what was wrong to be honest. I feel like it would have made a huge difference if the bosses had an energy bar or something. It did not motivate me at all and the two friends who bought it alongside me played it even less than I did, so I had nobody other than randoms to play with. Also no way to communicate once you started the hunt was game breakingly stupid. So many unfun things and QOL crimes in that game honestly. Wasn't for me at all, although I can see what its appeal is.

Isn't Monster Hunter just a slower and more clunky Souls game?

Dark Souls is the Monster Hunter of jrpg.

having an energy bar in monster hunter goes against to what the series does in the first place

just like asking it to be open world instead of areas

the lack of communication is mostly due to 3DS limitations, you can chat normally in Tri/3U (wii u).

there are visible effects for each one (drooling/limping/etc) but yeah the energy bar is hidden

idk I tried Tri for like 80 hours and I tried and tried but when I realized I wasn't actually having fun I just gave up, and then when I tell monhun stans this they become more obnoxious than Souls stans with the "you were just bad and playing it incorrectly and don't understand it and didn't start with the right game and didn't give it enough time"

a true dota experience.

there are visible effects for each one (drooling/limping/etc) but yeah the energy bar is hidden

idk I tried Tri for like 80 hours and I tried and tried but when I realized I wasn't actually having fun I just gave up, and then when I tell monhun stans this they become more obnoxious than Souls stans with the "you were just bad and playing it incorrectly and don't understand it and didn't start with the right game and didn't give it enough time"

a true dota experience.

Liquid, Normalfish (RIP), Demoli, and me? I can't remember other MonHun shillers.

Quesa

If they ever bring MonHun to a non-Nintendo system I think I'd try it.

But I don't like playing action games on 3DS and I kinda skipped the Wii ones.

Demoli

If they ever bring MonHun to a non-Nintendo system I think I'd try it.

But I don't like playing action games on 3DS and I kinda skipped the Wii ones.

Portable 3rd, arguably one of the best, is on the PSP, along with Portable 2nd(freedom unite). Tri on the Wii and TriG on 3ds/wiiU are my favourites though.

Quesa

Portable 3rd, arguably one of the best, is on the PSP, along with Portable 2nd(freedom unite). Tri on the Wii and TriG on 3ds/wiiU are my favourites though.

Didn't know there was a WiiU one. I'll keep my eye on future releases. Wish they'd put it on PC!

Demoli

Didn't know there was a WiiU one. I'll keep my eye on future releases. Wish they'd put it on PC!

If you are willing to go through proxys you can play MHFrontier, but its vastly inferior to the main series and full with pay2win. Theres a new chinese one too but aparently is also pretty bad.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Literally no downside to it? Punching a dragon with no visible effects until it dropped dead killed my motivation, I'm not even kidding. I think the bosses start limping at some point but eh.

Aside from obvious physical tells like drooling and limping you L I T E R A L L Y lop body parts off most monsters........................

pKZdRm0.png

Cmon mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I saw nothing of that in the 60h I played. Not saying they don't exist (because they evidently do) but I sure didn't notice and I remember feeling bored in most fights and hoping for them to be over soon. Seeing a Souls boss' HP bar close to depletion while being low on regeneratives myself is a very intense experience and I did not have that once with MH. I'm not kidding, I remember nothing of that game. I have no idea at what point I quit (or why) or what I accomplished thus far and I merely remember the first Jurassic Park boss and some Dragon afterwards. Cannot believe I played it for 60h.

Obviously, it's not for everyone. I do have a knack for grinding and Souls like mechanics so this should have worked out but it didn't. I also found it a little boring to not level up but I guess there is some reason it's the way it is.

edit: I did sever tails tbf.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Here's some awesome gifs courtesy of Roy Blakely's awesome noob guide on Polygon:

Yeah, let's show a stamina bar to show the monster is tired instead of this
MHGDrool-resized.0.gif

G. Macc getting his tail obliterated.

MHGSpikeBreak-resized.0.gif

The actual battle damage isn't prominent on the gif, but the spikes shatter and he loses his ability to balance on it, which affects his ability to fight!

MHGFall-resized.0.gif

You need to see a HEALTH bar rather than all these genius implementations of showing a monster visibly getting weaker over the course of the fight??? And this shit isn't exclusive to the Great Maccao, all of DOZENS of monsters are designed brilliantly to have their own signs of weakness. Exhaust Rathalos and his fierce firebreath sputters out into a hilarious puff of smoke. Gut off Yian Garuga's tail and his once extremely fast acting and deadly poison does a pathetic trickle of damage before wearing off.

I'll never argue that the MH series is short on quality of life shit that would make it much more engaging for a new player, but arguing for a LIFE BAR diminishes the insane amount of work that went into making every monster feel unique and amazing to fight.

No idea, I felt no tension in the fights and they took forever. Grinding stuff to make your character stronger was nice but the actual fights bored me so what was I supposed to do. A health bar would have helped me a quite a bit. Seeing my upgraded weapon chunk away bigger parts of a boss's health is something I enjoy.
I paid full price and forced myself to play it for 60h because I expected to see what everybody was talking about eventually. Cleary, I gave it a fair chance and concluded it is not for me.

LiQuid!

What an ugly game.
You're gonna get me perma'd Haly

No idea, I felt no tension in the fights and they took forever. Grinding stuff to make your character stronger was nice but the actual fights bored me so what was I supposed to do lol. A health bar would have helped me a quite a bit.
I paid full price and forced myself to play it for 60h because I expected to see what everybody was talking about eventually.

What's were some of the hardest monsters you fought? As silly as it sounds, 60 hours is not a lot of time to spend on a Monster Hunter game. I think I've already got about 60 hours in MHGen and I'm still a low rank pleb...

LiQuid!

BTW Haly, I don't disagree that the game looks "bad" because of it being on the 3DS, but it gets by a lot on its art, especially in the gear sets.

Here's MH Online, the Chinese MMO that runs in Cryengine 3 if you wanna get a sense what a MH game could look like if they ever put it on a capable gaming machine
pls NX be the Monster Hunter console we need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bppde9eNAg

frontovik

Banned
Not sure if this is common, but my team just managed to survive and countered the mega-creeps phase, while the enemy team still had two barracks standing.

They made several pushes, but we were able to counter them time each until we made a beeline for their Ancient.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can they just release these games on PC already? Preferably Steam.

I can play Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls on Steam. Why can't I MonHun?

DrPizza

Banned
How dare they put a fucking Lina item as the ultra rare. That would look perfect with my fuicking Catalyst Cap ARGH.

Also who do I talk to to complain that my Dota 2 Emoticon Chrome addin isn't working.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
LUL 7 treasures and not even rare points :(

Not a single rare or ultra for me this year! I guess it evens out because I got all golds last year...
tears.gif

shira

Ti6 Format

Event Dates

August 2, 2016 - Wildcards
August 3-5, 2016 - Group Stages
August 8-13, 2016 - Main Event

Wildcards: 4 Teams Double Elimination. Top 2 teams advance to Group Stages.
Group Stage: 2 groups of 8 teams. Top 4 from each group advance to Upper Bracket of Main Event. Bottom 4 to Lower Bracket.
Main Event: 16 Teams. Double Elimination Bracket.

Sweet QoL changes
* The Dota 2 window now flashes when you enter the hero picking phase
* Added a new option to bring Dota 2 to the foreground when the hero picking phase begins

Haly

Lina one is just PA's qualifier immortal copy pasted and mirrored. Lazy as fuck.

THAT FUCKING LAGUNA BLADE THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Haly

How can the Ogre immortal be allowed when Valve is being sued for promoting underage gambling???

LCnCRPK.gif
mozz_shopkeep.gif
LCnCRPK.gif

Top Bottom