• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

kiguel182

Why not post your steam ID with preferred server, times you usually play, etc? Lots of smaller gaf stacks here that might play as the same time as you. Most players here are pretty friendly and you might even learn a thing or two from some of the better ones.

I'm pretty green but I wouldn't mind play with someone from here. It seems like a good way to learn the game better.

My username is the same from here and I play on EU West (or East if Valve says so lol). Usually after 21:00 or so.

Is there like a Gaf group?

Red UFO

I'm pretty green but I wouldn't mind play with someone from here. It seems like a good way to learn the game better.

My username is the same from here and I play on EU West (or East if Valve says so lol). Usually after 21:00 or so.

Is there like a Gaf group?

i have pmd you
dac15_fade.gif

Strider

I'd take a PM :eyes:

Anyway I think I've posted it before but here's a link to my steam profile if anyone wants to add another (quote to see). I usually queue US East fwiw but US West is manageable and EU West is probably alright as well. I've only ever played MM in solo or duo queue so playing in a larger group would be cool...

--

Patch today lets us permanently leave the trivia chat thank god

Red UFO

Can I get a pm too

Kinda tired of solo queuing

I'd take a PM :eyes:

Anyway I think I've posted it before but here's a link to my steam profile if anyone wants to add another (quote to see). I usually queue US East fwiw but US West is manageable and EU West is probably alright as well. I've only ever played MM in solo or duo queue so playing in a larger group would be cool...

--

Patch today lets us permanently leave the trivia chat thank god

invisibility.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
2017/05/10 was the last day I played support in dota, that role is fucking dead to me.

Playing support in this game has gotten so much fun over the years and it is really at its peak now. I've been playing almost primarily roaming support Pudge since 7.0 and having the most fun I've had playing Dota in years.

Playing support in this game has gotten so much fun over the years and it is really at its peak now. I've been playing almost primarily roaming support Pudge since 7.0 and having the most fun I've had playing Dota in years.

Pos. 4 CM is legit fun. You just roam in and out of the jungle and farm like a boss. That +60 Damage talent is no joke.

J2d

Tell me about your solo supporting experience, cause that's all I ever have, wards this centry that, I've had it. I'm gonna play offlane or jungle with whatever I feel like from now on, I only play I unranked so fuck it..

I honestly think you can climb out of low MMR by effectively playing a good roaming 4 right now just as well as you can by out farming as a carry. Just spam ping objectives after disrupting the other team and providing vision. Lots of heroes in great shape to do this with right now.

I honestly think you can climb out of low MMR by effectively playing a good roaming 4 right now just as well as you can by out farming as a carry. Just spam ping objectives after disrupting the other team and providing vision. Lots of heroes in great shape to do this with right now.

That's how I've won 3 out of 4 of my International Ranked Calibration matches so far.

Pick KotL, CM, or Warlock, support like mad, roam and be annoying, ult in teamfights, urn reel moni.

In my MMR people forget about Tome of Knowledge, Bounty Runes, etc.

Quesa

Feels like it. Been hesitant to play MK since I liked playing him as a core and he seems to have shifted to a roaming support role, but I tried it last night and fell into it pretty naturally. feels weird that he still builds core items as a support (phase, basher, echo, etc), but with at least one Mana Boots carrier on the team, it works surprisingly well.

Related: any tips so as to not fall off mid-game as MK midgame? Felt like I had some pretty good ganks early on but wasn't sure how to approach the midgame.

In totally unrelated news I finished Persona 5, finally. Felt the music, plot twists and ending were worse than in P4, but the dungeons, graphics, UI and general level of polish were done really well.

Also the waifus in P5 were definitely better than the ones available in P4.
bts_lina.gif

Hylian7

In totally unrelated news I finished Persona 5, finally. Felt the music, plot twists and ending were worse than in P4, but the dungeons, graphics, UI and general level of polish were done really well.

bts_lina.gif

I finished it over the weekend. IMO I liked it better than P3 and P4, however I didn't finish those games. I just liked the general tone and atmosphere of P5 more.

Also Last Surprise is the GOAT.

Honestly the gameplay of this game being closer to SMT gives me hope that SMT Switch can be successful.

Twookie

bts_lina.gif

I wish I could get into P5, but I've kinda lost my will to play. I'm still at the first palace so I haven't gotten that far, last time I played I got my MC killed at the first turns by random crits or that all mobs focus the MC down, three times in a row. I hate hate HATE that if your MC goes down in combat, it's game over instantly.

I really want to like the game though, the game oozes style and the gameplay is fun(apart from the MC downed = game over), and the soundtrack is so fucking good. I'll probably jump back to it once I'm bored of Dota again and PUBG.

Alucrid

Banned
if i were to try and start playing dota, what legwork should i do first? i'm guessing look at builds, learn the map, learn the items (i'll finally find out whatever the fuck a bkb is) and team comps?

Riot production has holograms. Dota's dead.
if i were to try and start playing dota, what legwork should i do first? i'm guessing look at builds, learn the map, learn the items (i'll finally find out whatever the fuck a bkb is) and team comps?
Honestly don't bother with reading a bunch before playing. Look at item/skill builds and then jump in. There's a lot to learn, but most of it is totally useless without the context you'll only get by playing.

Hylian7

Riot production has holograms. Dota's dead.

Honestly don't bother with reading a bunch before playing. Look at item/skill builds and then jump in. There's a lot to learn, but most of it is totally useless without the context you'll only get by playing.

Reading about a lot of stuff will be very difficult to actually understand without actually trying to play the game and seeing how any of it applies. I know for instance, I didn't understand why you wouldn't autoattack the creep wave before I started playing. You play and it makes sense.

I also used to be of the mindset that I should learn every single item and what they do at once. That's also not a great approach. Instead just learn what the big ones do (Boots, BKB, wards, dust, Mek, Pipe, etc.). The rest of the items will come with time, you'll probably see them on guides you follow or recommended items.

There's also over a hundred heroes, and it's going to take you a while to learn what all of them do and what team comps of them are good. Really you just want to try to figure out what's a core and what's a support. Supports generally have more controlling abilities (stuns, slows, etc.), while cores have abilities that scale somehow (like easily spammable, or percentage based stuff, things of that nature). Granted, this does not apply 100% of the time, but it's something to look for.

I say this everytime, but it's really true: the first thing you should do is try to find a friend who already plays Dota and get them to teach you. Failing that, I'm sure there's a couple of friendly people here who wouldn't mind showing you the ropes either.

Hylian7 said:
I finished it over the weekend. IMO I liked it better than P3 and P4, however I didn't finish those games. I just liked the general tone and atmosphere of P5 more.

Also Last Surprise is the GOAT.

Honestly the gameplay of this game being closer to SMT gives me hope that SMT Switch can be successful.

P4G was my only other Persona experience before this, and I've never played any of the Shin Megami Tensei games. I do like a lot of the improvements to the dungeons, but more so than in P4 I felt like a lot of times it was hard for me to plan out how to make the most of the amount of free time I had. Case in point: I rented out a DVD, they said "return in a week please" but after 2 days the game locks me into a sequence that sucks up more than a week (exams, story events etc) so I end up having to return it late. (Thankfully they waive the first late fee, but that meant I never rented another DVD again)

At least it seems vastly easier to max out the social links this time; my first play through I had 1 confidant at rank 7 (Tower) and 2 at 9 (Fortune, Devil), and maxed out the rest, whereas with P4 there were several that were stuck at 4s (Death, Devil and Moon I think?)

Twookie said:
I wish I could get into P5, but I've kinda lost my will to play. I'm still at the first palace so I haven't gotten that far, last time I played I got my MC killed at the first turns by random crits or that all mobs focus the MC down, three times in a row. I hate hate HATE that if your MC goes down in combat, it's game over instantly.

Yeah Persona always seems hardest to me early on when you don't have any way to effectively gain SP, which is at odds with the battle system heavily pressuring you to just keep using your spells to strike at the enemy's weak points. I don't remember P4 having the thing where if your main character died it was game over, so that seems like a step back to me. I did die several times to enemies basically deciding they wanted to hit my main character's weak points and dump all their damage into him :/ Maybe reduce the difficulty and see if that's enough to get you back into the game?

Hylian7

I say this everytime, but it's really true: the first thing you should do is try to find a friend who already plays Dota and get them to teach you. Failing that, I'm sure there's a couple of friendly people here who wouldn't mind showing you the ropes either.

P4G was my only other Persona experience before this, and I've never played any of the Shin Megami Tensei games. I do like a lot of the improvements to the dungeons, but more so than in P4 I felt like a lot of times it was hard for me to plan out how to make the most of the amount of free time I had. Case in point: I rented out a DVD, they said "return in a week please" but after 2 days the game locks me into a sequence that sucks up more than a week (exams, story events etc) so I end up having to return it late. (Thankfully they waive the first late fee, but that meant I never rented another DVD again)

At least it seems vastly easier to max out the social links this time; my first play through I had 1 confidant at rank 7 (Tower) and 2 at 9 (Fortune, Devil), and maxed out the rest, whereas with P4 there were several that were stuck at 4s (Death, Devil and Moon I think?)

Yeah Persona always seems hardest to me early on when you don't have any way to effectively gain SP, which is at odds with the battle system heavily pressuring you to just keep using your spells to strike at the enemy's weak points. I don't remember P4 having the thing where if your main character died it was game over, so that seems like a step back to me. I did die several times to enemies basically deciding they wanted to hit my main character's weak points and dump all their damage into him :/ Maybe reduce the difficulty and see if that's enough to get you back into the game?

Pretty sure P4 always had it where protagonist death = game over. That's a classic SMT thing that has been around since the dawn of the franchise. The only games I can think of that don't have that are SMTIV and SMTIV:A. It can make the difficulty pretty brutal, and sometimes I do think it's kind of dumb as it feels like it makes having Recarm on your demon not nearly as useful.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Pick a hero that looks cool or stands out to you and just have fun with it first. If you find yourself enjoying it after a while then maybe start watching the academic lessons from Purge coaching Day9. playlist here

It's alive unlike this one

It definitely feels like the longest we've gone on for a single OT; I feel like when I first started lurking in the Dota 2 OT we'd have a new one every 3-4 months; it's been 9 since this one started. Is it because we started making new threads for the Majors and TI instead of just spamming the single Dota OT?

Hylian7

It definitely feels like the longest we've gone on for a single OT; I feel like when I first started lurking in the Dota 2 OT we'd have a new one every 3-4 months; it's been 9 since this one started. Is it because we started making new threads for the Majors and TI instead of just spamming the single Dota OT?

I'd say that definitely plays a role, the OT used to move super fast during TI and major tournaments like DAC

Didn't mean it as a brag, sorry if it came off that way. Just wondering if the people in this thread were in college when they were posting most often and ended up getting busier.

I'm still at the same job as I had when I first started lurking here; I definitely play less than I used to but I still check this thread pretty regularly.

man that LoL OT is weird

that is a troll/spam post in reference to this long-time, extremely popular daily Twitch streamer:

https://www.twitch.tv/nightblue3

Dude gets 10,000-20,000 people watching him every morning. The lines in that post reflect exactly how he talks, what some of his donation animations were and emotes look like. He annoys the fuck out of everyone here which is why that post gets regular play.

Thanks for reminding me to post it again.

Top Bottom