• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Strider

cBj1LTf.png

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Can someone watch this game and tell me wtf I am doing wrong in this patch? I still do not get it. I took all the advice given to me in this thread (other than pick Riki, because the other team did).

https://www.opendota.com/matches/3170555649 (might not be registering on OpenDota yet, but that match ID is in game and legit)

[x] Pick heroes that aren't shit - TA is within the top 10 winrates of heroes in 5k+ MMR
[x] Don't do questionable item builds - I don't think my build here was questionable, sure I was starved for farm, and that was the pace of this game which I will explain in a minute.
[x] Don't take movement speed talents
[x] Die less - certainly didn't die much in this game

Right off the bat Disruptor (or was it Ogre, I can't remember), gave me a Sentry, good on them. Riki tried to take the bounty rune, I got it. Then immediately he was harassing me mid. I put the sentry down, Riki and Magnus took plenty of damage, but I didn't have the ability to kill either of them. I tried to scrounge up what little farm I could get after those first two minutes, I was already behind. Late bottle of course because I couldn't get any farm while Riki was there harassing me. Riki planted a ward right in front of me, but of course I didn't have the AS to kill it and Magnus denied it (it was obs). I had TPs, I rotated when my teammates were getting chased, and every single time they got away. Every time a fight broke out, they got away, got denied, or something. I FINALLY get my Blink at about 16 minutes, and then Riki's right in front of our T3 and SNIPES THE COURIER. I fucking lost it at this point and was tilting hard, I was pissed and yelling at the situation (not at my teammates). So now I have nothing until the 20 minute mark. At this point we're losing everything. We still attempt more fights, they get away every single time. I only got that one kill on the Riki because he got a little greedy at one point and tried to deny himself to the jungle creeps, but Psi blades took care of it. I could only get one kill this match, and I was trying so hard to get them and couldn't get anywhere. Every attempt to get kills or objectives ended in more deaths from our team or them just getting away.

I realize the Riki was 4.6k MMR, but that really shouldn't matter at this point. I have had a consistent problem in almost every ranked game I have played lately, and I am doing something wrong and still cannot figure out what it is. If anyone has the chance to watch this, please let me know and I'd like to hear what you think.

Some thoughts, disclaimer I have like one ta game in past 3 years I am usually just a witness.

My first thought based on your description is you need to work on whether you should be assisting in a fight or continue to farm. It seems like you may have over-rotated which is super costly, especially on TA. She farms with extreme efficiency if given a little space, remember to try to stack ancients if you've got time.

Skill build is probably bad for you, leave maxing meld until last, sometimes not picking it up until level 8. Psi blades are really helpful and especially helpful if you need more room playing around melee heroes.

Item wise I think it's a toss up between blink and deso first. Blink is good if you're ahead early or are very confident that it will be a difference maker in upcoming engagements. If there are heroes you can very quickly delete you can turn a skirmish into a blowout and a tower easily, accelerating your snowball. Deso super good for farming and still fine at fighting if the game is lining up that way, but you need to use your own discretion here. This was probably a deso game for you.

The first part is probably the most important though, focusing on game sense and making the correct decisions about what you need to be doing and when reduces the impact of things like skill or item builds. And while early/mid game fighting does happen, I disagree with the sentiment that it is the driving force of the meta game. Once the change to shrine vulnerability moved to T3 the game became more about piercing uphill, since that's very difficult with the abundance of shrines there.

Hylian7

Some thoughts, disclaimer I have like one ta game in past 3 years I am usually just a witness.

My first thought based on your description is you need to work on whether you should be assisting in a fight or continue to farm. It seems like you may have over-rotated which is super costly, especially on TA. She farms with extreme efficiency if given a little space, remember to try to stack ancients if you've got time.

Skill build is probably bad for you, leave maxing meld until last, sometimes not picking it up until level 8. Psi blades are really helpful and especially helpful if you need more room playing around melee heroes.

Item wise I think it's a toss up between blink and deso first. Blink is good if you're ahead early or are very confident that it will be a difference maker in upcoming engagements. If there are heroes you can very quickly delete you can turn a skirmish into a blowout and a tower easily, accelerating your snowball. Deso super good for farming and still fine at fighting if the game is lining up that way, but you need to use your own discretion here. This was probably a deso game for you.

The first part is probably the most important though, focusing on game sense and making the correct decisions about what you need to be doing and when reduces the impact of things like skill or item builds. And while early/mid game fighting does happen, I disagree with the sentiment that it is the driving force of the meta game. Once the change to shrine vulnerability moved to T3 the game became more about piercing uphill, since that's very difficult with the abundance of shrines there.
Good points, thank you very much! I will keep that in mind.

Zoon

International solo ranked games are like playing a different game. Everyone is so nice that you can actually enjoy the game. Even at situations where we were losing 3-40, everyone accepted that without shouting on the mic or flaming others. I'm impressed.

International solo ranked games are like playing a different game. Everyone is so nice that you can actually enjoy the game. Even at situations where we were losing 3-40, everyone accepted that without shouting on the mic or flaming others. I'm impressed.
Yesterday a guy started feeding couriers because he doubled down and bet the yellow tokens at the start all becuase axe decided to go afk at a calibration match...the other game had ppl not understanding how to use their heros... i just dont know what you are talking about...the ppl on ranked are way worse than normal match making

Zoon

Yesterday a guy started feeding couriers because he doubled down and bet the yellow tokens at the start all becuase axe decided to go afk at a calibration match...the other game had ppl not understanding how to use their heros... i just dont know what you are talking about...the ppl on ranked are way worse than normal match making

I've played about 15 games and haven't seen any kind of intentional feeding on either teams. The only "bad" behaviour is the casual "idiot team" or "report axe" after the ancient has fallen. But I haven't seen anyone give up or feed. I just might have to play a bit more.

elyetis

I don't know about solo, but in 4 match of International party ranked I saw some of the worst skill/mmr disparity I had the opportunity to play ( and god know it already a problem in the usual party ranked ).

So NP is looking pretty legit against the teams they've been playing against..

Interesting to see how they do against some T1 teams.

Really this just gives me hope that they get far enough into a tourney for us to get some classic EE games.

Airan

Can someone watch this game and tell me wtf I am doing wrong in this patch? I still do not get it. I took all the advice given to me in this thread (other than pick Riki, because the other team did).

https://www.opendota.com/matches/3170555649 (might not be registering on OpenDota yet, but that match ID is in game and legit)

[x] Pick heroes that aren't shit - TA is within the top 10 winrates of heroes in 5k+ MMR
[x] Don't do questionable item builds - I don't think my build here was questionable, sure I was starved for farm, and that was the pace of this game which I will explain in a minute.
[x] Don't take movement speed talents
[x] Die less - certainly didn't die much in this game

Right off the bat Disruptor (or was it Ogre, I can't remember), gave me a Sentry, good on them. Riki tried to take the bounty rune, I got it. Then immediately he was harassing me mid. I put the sentry down, Riki and Magnus took plenty of damage, but I didn't have the ability to kill either of them. I tried to scrounge up what little farm I could get after those first two minutes, I was already behind. Late bottle of course because I couldn't get any farm while Riki was there harassing me. Riki planted a ward right in front of me, but of course I didn't have the AS to kill it and Magnus denied it (it was obs). I had TPs, I rotated when my teammates were getting chased, and every single time they got away. Every time a fight broke out, they got away, got denied, or something. I FINALLY get my Blink at about 16 minutes, and then Riki's right in front of our T3 and SNIPES THE COURIER. I fucking lost it at this point and was tilting hard, I was pissed and yelling at the situation (not at my teammates). So now I have nothing until the 20 minute mark. At this point we're losing everything. We still attempt more fights, they get away every single time. I only got that one kill on the Riki because he got a little greedy at one point and tried to deny himself to the jungle creeps, but Psi blades took care of it. I could only get one kill this match, and I was trying so hard to get them and couldn't get anywhere. Every attempt to get kills or objectives ended in more deaths from our team or them just getting away.

I realize the Riki was 4.6k MMR, but that really shouldn't matter at this point. I have had a consistent problem in almost every ranked game I have played lately, and I am doing something wrong and still cannot figure out what it is. If anyone has the chance to watch this, please let me know and I'd like to hear what you think.

I didn't watch the match yet but I'd say Deso over blink is better in this draft as aside from Spectre none of your teammates can catch up with you, and Magnus/Riki will ALWAYS want to get in your face. If you can delete them first it makes things so much easier. It also helps farm faster. You may even skip a blink and get a Hurricane Pike to escape the Riki smoke/Pudge hook.

Big-E

I don't know about solo, but in 4 match of International party ranked I saw some of the worst skill/mmr disparity I had the opportunity to play ( and god know it already a problem in the usual party ranked ).
I have always played normal and only recently tried ranked and will never go back I think. I can only play a few games a week normally and the chance of having a decent match seems to be way higher with normal than with ranked.

That Hao picture is perfect lmao.

Gonna take a break from Overwatch and get back into Dota. Shooting for mid 2K by the end of the TI compendium but we'll see.

shira

That Hao picture is perfect lmao.

Gonna take a break from Overwatch and get back into Dota. Shooting for mid 2K by the end of the TI compendium but we'll see.

I get too distracted by the free Starcraft. The campaign is so damn good.

I'm always like a fuckit one more mission.

Vimes

Heroes of the Storm player here; I buy the Battle Pass for The International every year for the client spectation rewards, but I've never tried to actually level it. However, the map reskin this year looks almost too dope to pass up. How much should I expect to play or spend to get the BP to L100?

Quesa

Heroes of the Storm player here; I buy the Battle Pass for The International every year for the client spectation rewards, but I've never tried to actually level it. However, the map reskin this year looks almost too dope to pass up. How much should I expect to play or spend to get the BP to L100?

I wanna say $48.50? $36 gets you a battle pass at level 75, then $10 gets you 24 levels, then I think you can pay $2.50 to go over 100.

shira

I wanna say $48.50? $36 gets you a battle pass at level 75, then $10 gets you 24 levels, then I think you can pay $2.50 to go over 100.
$36 for 75 BUNDLE

$30 = $10 × three 24 level packs

Do some basic shit for 3 levels.

$66?

Vimes

Whoops yeah looks like it might be L150.

I don't mind playing a fair bit during the season; always wanted the kick to play Dota more, and I'd rather play than spend money. But I don't want to sink my life into the game. Those prices look steep too.

EDIT: To me it looks like the savings for buying the L75 pass aren't considerable, in which case I might as well get the basic pass and see how I go, which I was going to do anyway.

M.D

Watching qualifiers and Dreamleauge feels like Peasant Dota

It feels like these teams always play at a tier below OG and some other top teams

J2d

It's lame that they didn't include io in the arcana vote, with the other shit they're pulling with unsellable stuff they really put a damper on my opinion of valve.

Yep, click where the reward would be and it makes beeps and boops. Probably Io Arcana.

I hope it's an IO announcer or voice pack!
We are probably getting an arcana for IO anyway but who would even buy that? The hero has been in the bottom 5 picked for as long as i can remember.

J2d

Getting an arcana from levels would be a sweet thing, probably gonna make more money off that then if they sold it separately.

why is it always when you are short on time that games seem to always drag out on 50++min/>hour mark, christ

Had a short amount of time the other night (long enough for a regular match) and a guy drafts techies. Glad he was horrible and the other team picked range hero's to deal with the mines. Hero is useless and it quickly turned into 4 vs 5.

Top Bottom