• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Luigi |OT| Your Prescription To Fun Just As Long As You Have Fever Or The Chills!

Berordn

I guess it depends on what mode you're playing? But yeah, It would be nice if they had big models of all 6 viruses.

Maybe the screenshots are from an older build? All the shots of retro remedy in the trailer used those virus icons, but all the press shots show the old viruses.

Or maybe it's random, who knows.

Elvick

Banned
Am I the only one that dislikes this? I mean, I love Luigi, but I want more unique games. Not reskinned Mario games with Luigi in them. Luigi's Mansion is awesome. Do something different with Luigi, he's a different character after all. What next? Paper Luigi?

At least there's a Dr. x game coming, but that price. D;

Berordn

Am I the only one that dislikes this? I mean, I love Luigi, but I want more unique games. Not reskinned Mario games with Luigi in them. Luigi's Mansion is awesome. Do something different with Luigi, he's a different character after all. What next? Paper Luigi?

If the choice was between this or another game with the traditional Dr. Mario branding, I'm all for Luigi. It was going to come out anyway, so I'll take the (slight) breath of fresh air that this is.

Chatin

Would love to pick this up, but not for a cent more than $10. I already paid full price for Rumble U and Remix, but the pricing here is unreasonable.

I just got a Wii U for Christmas (and freaking love it so far), and am looking for some digital games, but NES Remix and this both at $15 are too much for me. Hell, even $10 for Earthbound (which I've never played) seems like a fucking ripoff... not because the game isn't worth that amount (from everything I've read it's worth a lot more), but because of Nintendo bottlenecking the release and thus jacking up the price due to it's limited availability.

I've bought zero things from the Wii U eShop so far, but I think Toki Tori 2 is still on sale, and I've heard good things about that. Since I have a huge backlog of retail releases to catch up on, all of the other overpriced digital releases can wait for now. Still, I'm looking forward to reading impressions about this game in this thread, and I hope you all enjoy it!

blamite

Um... but this way you have to see more of them because they are using their models to represent the original viruses...

Well, they take up more space, but for me at least Dr. Mario requires so much focus on the playing field that I hardly even see whatever's over off to the side. Plus you won't be seeing them in the online multiplayer which is what I'll be playing the majority of the time anyway.

Mainly I just think the colors used for the new guys are super gross and I'd hate to have to stare at them all the time.

HUELEN10

Okay, game is not available for sale in the USA eShop just yet, but the description has been updated. It has leaderboards , which work with retro remedy and Operation L. It also says "compete with players locally or online", so take that as you will.

GamePad, Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Classic Controller combo have also been confirmed.

HUELEN10

Starts off with a "Year of Luigi" logo on boot up; did any other of this year's luigi games do this?

Okay, sadly there is no cough or sneeze music in this game, but you can choose the virus design, for game not character models mind you.

RaidenZR

I will probably get this but man... Seriously, those new virus designs are horrible. Just ask Sakurai for the previous 3D models from the trophy in Smash.

Done.

Berordn

Okay, sadly there is no cough or sneeze music in this game, but you can choose the virus design, for game not character models mind you.

Wait, really? Are they at least new versions of Fever and Chill? Even Online RX had Cough and Sneeze.

Steam has ruined gaming.

Hyperbole, but you know what I mean

Fifteen dollars is a tough pill to swallow when it's largely a port of a game that was already released on Wii with little extra content.

Pun unintended.

KemoSabe

the new style looks so cheap and generic.
the n64 version looks soo much better.
please go back to 2d pixel style nintendo...

HUELEN10

Okay, online is awesome! Just did a random match and got my ass kicked, and then recouped my loss after. 2 games.

No cough or sneeze, but 2 new songs are in called Drowsy and Dizzy; both of them are awesome. Loving the game so far.

Wait, really? Are they at least new versions of Fever and Chill?
There are! Each of the 3 main modes has 2 different songs to select from. In Virus buster, things get a little "woozy" music-wise. Chill is so chill in this mode.

HUELEN10

Okay, so playing more of it, I can confirm more things. Thought it supports a lot of controller, you can play with only the Gamepad in single player, poor design choice that a lot of U games face sadly when given the options. There are also no Miis. Depending on the mode you're on, you can choose between Drowsy/Dizzy, Fever/Chill, or NEW Fever/Chill music-wise. The new stuff is pretty awesome, here's a low quality stream of the new chill. Online is addicting though. Overall with the little time I've had with it, it's no Dr. Mario 64, which some of us consider to be the best entry, but it's an improvement to the Wii rendition in every single way with more content, more music, and more options.

I will probably get this but man... Seriously, those new virus designs are horrible. Just ask Sakurai for the previous 3D models from the trophy in Smash.

Done.
Is see them getting a lot of hate. I mean, I love the old guys, they're classic, but give the new guys a chance! They're animations are quite silly.
the new style looks so cheap and generic.
the n64 version looks soo much better.
please go back to 2d pixel style nintendo...

Though sprite based games are nice, the animations in this game are quite nice, much nicer than the Wii one. I'm trying to take screens (via browser), but it's not working right now for some reason.
The art is one drawing or one for every "billy" drawing there is in the OP ?
Like the banner pictures? All on different pieces of paper. If you are talking about the contest drawing, it's one entry per GAFer.

Robin64

The Miiverse community is live and so has a few shots posted.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073110558463/14866558073110558476

zlCfzRUX_ac2KfuL6a

grumpy

$15 means that it's gonna be at least €15. Even though I love the Dr Mario games, I think I'll wait for the eventual discount.

leroidys

The price does seem steep... but I would much rather they put some actual time into it, developing new modes, menus, music, etc. rather than just shelling out another $5 for the exact same damn thing I own on DSi, Gameboy, GBA, and Wii.

BooJoh

This is the first true original Wii U eShop game by Nintendo right? Not NES Remix because it's just taking NES games and twisting them and seemingly giving them a WarioWare DIY sort of concept.

Since this is basically a reskin of Dr Mario Online Rx I don't know if it counts. They even removed Miis, which sucks.

KlkiSUT.png

They couldn't be arsed to make models for the original viruses?
They had the ones from Online Rx and they looked great. These new virus designs look like something from a shovelware ripoff.

I'm really glad there's a new Dr. Mario game and I'll probably end up picking this up, but to be honest this looks kind of lazy, as shitty as that is to say. It just looks almost identical to Online Rx except for slightly shinier graphics, Luigi, and Operation L.

The fact that Miis aren't even used is super lame, it was always cool to see the Mii of the person yo were playing against online, without that so much of the game's character is lost.

Pretty much how I feel... I'll probably bite but I dunno... $15. I could get Knytt Underground for less.

Sometimes they do, though!

dr-luigickso6.jpg

The small versions of them are actually a little charming, but when it has the old style viruses in the bottle it should really have the old style viruses on the left.

The L capsules really help speed the game up which is one of my biggest complaints with the Dr. Mario concept. That said there are so many little issues with this game as a piece of software. Why can't I play Operation L with Fever or Chill as the music? Or play with not the Gamepad? Why have the option to change the viruses but not have matching 3d models (Granted the cutscenes would require additional animations for the other set of viruses)? Very frustrating, even though the core gameplay has improved.

Shady859

I had no idea this existed untill seeing this thread and it's now downloading as I type this. LITERALLY 2 days ago I was browsing the Nintendo stores looking for Dr Mario. I had an itch after playing it again at my moms on Christmas.

<3 GAF spending my money day after day lol

BooJoh

I don't see why it wouldn't, but does this support Off-TV Play? It's not listed in the features on the eShop.

Shady859

So are people playing this in the US? Is it fun and worth getting?

Online is worldwide although every name seems US. I played for an hour straight most all different people, did rematch alot if they weren't sharks. Very fun, glad no mic support otherwise they be lol at me cursing them over Dr Mario. :)

Online has 4 variations 2 new and 2 classic with just 2 leaderboards though for classic and new combined.

EDIT: If you played alot of Tetris do yourself a favor and forget the endless spinning of pieces. That's got my Dr skills all screwed up.

Regarding the $15 price, Nintendo would say the NES Classics version cost that. I personally feel differently and know how to react...
It confirms Dr,.Mario 64 is never coming to the VC...

To do an old joke, does this mean Luigi's first name is also Doctor?

Also played the arcade version a whole bunch out at DigiPen in 2000 and 2001, where they had the machine set up in the room where we took our breaks during the workshops I went to there.
There was an arcade version? I also noted you omitted Dr. Wario, good lad.
IIRC it has weird physics...on purpose

The Miiverse community is live and so has a few shots posted.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073110558463/14866558073110558476

zlCfzRUX_ac2KfuL6a
He operates in a Café? I guess his doctorate was a PhD after all...

BooJoh

So this seems like a fairly well-made game, but here's something that's been bugging me.

Of all the Wii U games I own, Nintendo has been by far the least inventive with the use of the Gamepad with few exceptions (ie - NintendoLand and Game & Wario.) All of their basic games that support Off-TV Play simply mirror the TV screen on the gamepad at all times, while nearly every third party title I've played at least tries to find some other minor use for the gamepad screen when playing on the TV.

I'm a huge supporter of Wii U as a next-gen console but they really need to show people that the Gamepad is more than a clone of your TV that makes your controller bulkier.

Top Bottom