• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Luigi |OT| Your Prescription To Fun Just As Long As You Have Fever Or The Chills!

terrisus

There was an arcade version? I also noted you omitted Dr. Wario, good lad.
IIRC it has weird physics...on purpose

Yup. Had the music ingrained into my mind after the couple of weeks there.

dr+mario+arcade+box.jpg

And, I actually don't have the game which contains Dr. Wario, so, I guess I missed out on that

RkOwnage

Is anyone still having trouble connecting to the eShop? My internet is working fine ,I even did a connection test, but I cannot load the eShop at all.

What happened to me, I used to be a pro Dr player, I had my ass handed to me twice online. I might be still rusty after all these years.

Exile20

What happened to me, I used to be a pro Dr player, I had my ass handed to me twice online. I might be still rusty after all these years.
I heard the players online are just amazing or you were only good among your friends. I can't wait to play it.

BooJoh

Does that affect anything besides the style of viruses?

It only affects the sprites of the viruses in the bottle. The big viruses stay the same and nothing else changes, but it's sort of nice to have the option for a change, the small versions don't look as "off" as the big versions.

It only affects the sprites of the viruses in the bottle. The big viruses stay the same and nothing else changes, but it's sort of nice to have the option for a change, the small versions don't look as "off" as the big versions.
That's so weird that the classic viruses don't have large models. Why was it was intentionally done this way??? o_O

Oh well. Maybe one day we'll get a Dr. Mario, Dr. Wario, Dr. Luigi cross over with all three sets of viruses.

steveovig

I've never really totally understood how to be good at Dr. Mario, does this game have a good tutorial or anything like that? I know the basics but I know nothing besides that.

The pills in Operation-L Mode are in cut up blister packs - Mind Blown!!

pills-blister-pack-22160321.jpg

EDIT: Also; pink, light blue and yellow virii on the left of screen in Retro Mode? FUCK YOU LAZY-ASS NINTENDO.

This game is great and, like NES Remix, well worth 15 bucks. A lot of gamers these days have a very distorted sense of value. I played for hours yesterday after first downloading it. Never having played a Dr. Mario game before, it felt at first like I had some form of dyslexia but once I got the basics down it became very fun and extremely addictive. No doubt I'll be playing this a ton for years to come.

Nintendo hit it out of the park with their late-2013 eShop games. Both this and NES Remix scratch that retro gaming itch just perfectly, and I hope there are plenty more of these types of projects in the works to fill the gaps between major releases.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Not to mention, I still can't believe Sega is going to try and sell Tetris x Puyo Puyo at full retail
If that actually came to North American retail, I'd buy it at any price.

The moment I read the title, I thought to myself, OK, GOTY 2014 is already decided. Everyone else can just save themselves the trouble and stay home.

Superman

I loved Dr. Mario so much... As did my Dad back in the day. I'll be checking this out for impressions incase I pick up a Wii U at some point in the future.

hachi

Banned
I feel they missed an opportunity here to have simultaneous retro / new graphics in parallel on the Gamepad and TV, as it was implemented in Game & Wario:

screen1.png

Lazy mockup:

jCUTMXDc1Jboo.png

Berordn

If that actually came to North American retail, I'd buy it at any price.

The moment I read the title, I thought to myself, OK, GOTY 2014 is already decided. Everyone else can just save themselves the trouble and stay home.

I'd sacrifice my left testicle just to get that to come out in NA and be a success. We're never going to see it, are we :(

hachi

Banned
I am not sure if that would have added anything.

For me, it certainly would. I don't care for the new presentation, but would enjoy it with a parallel twist like that, showing old and new at once. As it stands, I'm so put off by the sterile look of the game that I'll stick to older incarnations.

Exile20

For me, it certainly would. I don't care for the new presentation, but would enjoy it with a parallel twist like that, showing old and new at once. As it stands, I'm so put off by the sterile look of the game that I'll stick to older incarnations.

I guess, but it is so similar.

SummitAve

Banned

It certainly would? How? They're almost identical, and does not provide the interesting retro vs. new contrast that other titles would.

OmegaFax

I feel they missed an opportunity here to have simultaneous retro / new graphics in parallel on the Gamepad and TV, as it was implemented in Game & Wario:

screen1.png

Lazy mockup:

jCUTMXDc1Jboo.png

I don't know if Nintendo wants to remind people that they're literally buying the same game again. Then again, not sure if they really care.

I do think there's some novelty in showing the original graphics on the Wii U's gamepad. Didn't know they did that for Game & Wario.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Does this have leaderboards for the single player modes? Or only for battle points in online ranked matches?

The pills in Operation-L Mode are in cut up blister packs - Mind Blown!!

pills-blister-pack-22160321.jpg

EDIT: Also; pink, light blue and yellow virii on the left of screen in Retro Mode? FUCK YOU LAZY-ASS NINTENDO.

Yep! Caught that when looking at the renders, that's incredible.

BTW, anyone want to take a 720p browser pic of the title screen? The press one sucks as it's upscaled to 1080p and looks nasty. :(

gunstarhero

Never played a Dr. Mario game before - so this was my first experience with the game.

This game is fucking addictive! I played Operation L for a solid hour straight - really love it.

Today I plan on checking out the other modes - but I'm already happy with the purchase. $15 is a far price for this game.

My only minor complaint is the fugly white frames around the falling pieces. Really lame design choice. It wasn't necessary.

Vandole

I wasn't really impressed with Operation L at first. I did some offline mode with it, and went go to level 25 without breaking a sweat. Didn't feel like much of a challenge. Then I took it online.... OUCH.

I had my ass completely handed to me. It may be a little easier than Retro/Traditional mode, but when you go up against other people who also find it easier, prepare for a whole different level of challenge.

Go319

Yup I've had a good time online. I kinda like how you just battle until somebody is forced to quit.

does it allow you to communicate at all or is it like the Wii version with sanitised phrases for you to say...

this game makes me swear like no other and i would love to express said emotions...

Shady859

I'm addicted to these pills!!!! Lol online is so good but question: how do people change the online quick match settings?? It's so annoying to play 99% off your games on medium then some fool comes in on low or high. Low is ok it usually a guaranteed win since I always fast drop but high catches u off guard and pieces are always a beast. Completely throws the rythym off. Seems every really high ranked player on L has high settings. The game is totally changed on high. I'm currently #20 & #71.

Operation L > Retro

zroid

Banned
I reluctantly bit on NES Remix at $15, and I didn't regret it, but that was a really interesting idea which pretty great execution, while Dr. Luigi is... well... an update to a game I already have multiple copies of. Nintendo's really trying to wring us dry it seems.

On this one, I'm going to wait for a sale or a moment of weakness.

edit: on another note, I'm usually decent to good at these sorts of games, but for some reason I always really sucked ass at Dr. Mario, lol. I still love it though.

oh, and amazing OP by the way! :eek:

Top Bottom