• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

]blacky[;251919689 said:
Where do I find those spells? I don't get it, guys.

If you or your pawn are a mage/sorcerer/mystic knight, you can go to Ecbal at the Encampment or the guy at the inn in Gran Soren whose name I forget, and learn skills. They can learn an ability called (name of element) boon, so fire boon, thunder boon etc.

If your pawn has it,they'll cast it to you frequently, but if you have it, you can charge the spell, then click the left stick (I think, it could be the right stick) to target yourself.

Audioboxer

I don't get why people do this. I want my pawns to assist me, not kill everything leaving me nothing to do.

That wasn't really what I was implying. Some of the stunlocking magic produces can simply give the edge for a melee character to get hits in without struggling to avoid being thrown off. Climbing to weak points can be tough on bigger enemies that lose their shit if you jump on. Unless you're hiring pawns well above your level there really isn't "pawns will just do all the work" in DD. They're often quite dumb.

At level 67 in post-BBI I'm stilling having to pick their dead bodies up at times.

Dunkelgrau

If you or your pawn are a mage/sorcerer/mystic knight, you can go to Ecbal at the Encampment or the guy at the inn in Gran Soren whose name I forget, and learn skills. They can learn an ability called (name of element) boon, so fire boon, thunder boon etc.

Ah, now I see it, thank you very much!

So, normally in battle you don't use those boons on yourself, right?

OTIX

Anyone willing to trade unpurified BBI lvl. 2 weapons between each other? I have two that aren't useful to me. Dying to get the Helmbarte daggers. :/

PSN: Wretched_Walrus
It doesn't work like that, they're all identical. The next one you purify will always have the same thing in it.

]blacky[;251921768 said:
Ah, now I see it, thank you very much!

So, normally in battle you don't use those boons on yourself, right?

It's up to you. Having a mage pawn with one saves you from having to apply it to yourself/if you're not a blue vocation, but you can apply it whenever you need it. If a pawn has it, they'll cast it on you ASAP in combat.
Fire is the most useful one before post game.

ZangBa

Are you using high level pawns from your friendlist? Because if you do, they significantly reduce your received experience point. If not, then BBI isn't for under level 90 characters anyway speaking from my own experience. Anyway here's tips for quick level gain:

1. Always hired pawns that at least equal to your level. Since Pawns usefulness determined by their inclination, and skills, lower level Pawns with the right setup can be preferable to bring even when you outlevel them by 20 (especially for ranged class Pawns since they can avoid damage much better). Lower level Pawns grants you bonus experience gain, which mean faster leveling. So if you happened to hire a very useful pawn, you shouldn't worry on replacing them soon since you are actually rewarded indirectly by keeping them around longer.

2. (Post game spoiler)
Fight in The Everfall. Seriously, people are too often skipped them (me included) in favor of BBI because the latter offered better loot. While it's true, BBI is designed to be tackled after you have done with The Everfall. It provides you with vast arrays of bosses which includes drake, wyrm, and archydras that gives tons of experience point when you kill them. The fact that Everfall lies inside Gransys makes it a none hassle to farm them for experience by resetting the world spawn via sleeping for 3 days. Plus, The Everfall will gives you fucktons of Wakestone which becomes your primary source of income whether you are in Normal or Hardmode.

3. Make sure you have Blessed Flower from Quina's questline and had it copied at least once by The Scrivener. The Weal effect essentially makesyou gain the twice exp from a single enemy. At level below 70 or so, killing the Drake at Devilfire Groves and some cyclops should enough to gain you a level. If you don't have it because you missed the quest, then tough luck and I suggest you to start with NG+ anyway. Veteran's Periapt have the same Weal effect, and while you can buy it infinitely from Fournival, it only lasted for a measly 5 minutes. Its short duration makes you need multiple Veteran's Periapt for every farming run, which is expensive in the long run because each costed for 25k gold. Meanwhile you can reset Blessed Flower by resting for 3 days as long as it's not wilted yet.

I kinda learned the hard way with BBI because I thought my overleveled pawn could carry me through it and level me up at the same time. It only makes the game unfun because either your enemy died instantly when your overleved hired pawn AI works, or extremely grueling when they doesn't since you can barely do any damage. To makes thing worse they cut your exp by significant amount which mean overall slower level gain. So in the end I dismiss my overlevel Pawns, hire new ones that closer to my level, go back to post-game dungeons, and I have fun ever since.

I've always used pawns at my level and kept them around for 5-10 levels after then flushed them for new ones. I always check inclinations to make sure here aren't any of the really useless ones like Guardian, but I haven't been too specific about them otherwise. As for the
Everfall, I didn't really skip the place, I went through most of it I think, but I figured it was a bit pointless with BBI existing. I just expected the experience gain in BBI to be a lot better than it is.
I should have this flower since I did every quest through a guide, but I'm sure by now it's wilted if that's a problem lol. I kind of just hoard items and never use them. Hell, I didn't start using healing items until the first boss in BBI.

I've been chest farming level 2 BBI weapons so I'm at least rich now but my RNG is garbage and can't get the bow or 2 Hander. As hard as BBI has been because of my stats and whatnot, it's definitely been the most enjoyable part of the game for me. I like the Ur-dragon and all, but the climbing controls and camera are just God awful sometimes.

jiggle

I think im gonna move on to new game plus now before grinding BBI
Dont want to lose all my progress in there lol

So is there a quick way to level? Because I'm like 59 and past the second big Boss of BBI and things are starting to get a little too real for me. Doesn't really help that I have outdated gear too but I haven't found anything useful yet.
If you are a sorcerer
The best place to level grind is ur dragon offline
Can kill it in a few minutes for easy level up and chance of dragonforge

Nearing level 100 you can even do the fight solo
And it takes like 1 minute to kill it for like 250k xp

I know I've done it just after the hydra fight (without activating the head delivery quest) by taking a left from Cassardis, past Aernst Castle and north to Ancient Quarry South entrance. Go through (quarry shortcut) and you'll come out of the North entrance, just a little West of Gran Soren

Full map below so maybe a bit spoilerish for new comers...

http://dl.gamesradar.com/guides/Gransys Map.jpg

thanks I'll give this a try,
although I thought the ancient quarry didn't have an exit and entrance unless you start up a quest with these miner dudes.

Meowster

Here is my character, Alessio, on his journey throughout Dragon's Dogma. I started out with him as a young teenaged mage and have slowly grown him up little by little. He worked as an excellent Sorcerer with Artemisia by his side. We're finally at the last level in the main game and now he's a grown ass man ready to slay some dragons as a Magick Archer.

31fdb845f3.png

8087492d28.png

b1d24fcf41.png

0684f96fd0.png

0a91d75867.png

f4020df237.png

Here is my character, Alessio, on his journey throughout Dragon's Dogma. I started out with him as a young teenaged mage and have slowly grown him up little by little. He worked as an excellent Sorcerer with Artemisia by his side. We're finally at the last level in the main game and now he's a grown ass man ready to slay some dragons as a Magick Archer.
That's what I call role playing

Zeta Oni

Every time I wrap things up it amazes me how ridiculously out there this game gets for the ending.

I'm thinking about making a separate thread specifically about it for people who will probably never play, because I truly believe it rises above the mediocrity that is the other 95% of this games story and goes in some really interesting places worthy of discussion.

Those are some really nice shots.

Ugh I wanna buy this game again so bad. But I already own it on PC/PS3.

Its quickly becoming nearly impossible to find locally.

Fuck it, my best buy has a copy, going in again.

Shandy

When one of your pawns gets possessed. And they have Maelstrom.
team-rocket-blasting-rwymd.gif

Man, Maelstrom is scary! Is that what I've been doing to people?

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
So I have been looking through this thread and browsing reviews and watching videos, and I still can't get a full idea of exactly what this game is supposed to be. Is it a dark souls lite? Is it a pure action rpg, a hack'n'slash? Looking for a game to tide me over until COD and the X1X, so anywhere this thread could point me would be great.

Audioboxer

Dupes from BBI are the worst. Have 2 pieces of out 5 armour from end game, purify and get the same two pieces again lol. 100,000RC gone.

Anyone have any tips for bitterblack weapon lv.2 farming post-daimon? Need a dagger upgrade before really trying to clear 2nd tier daimon.

Salarians

So I have been looking through this thread and browsing reviews and watching videos, and I still can't get a full idea of exactly what this game is supposed to be. Is it a dark souls lite? Is it a pure action rpg, a hack'n'slash? Looking for a game to tide me over until COD and the X1X, so anywhere this thread could point me would be great.
Open world, exploration driven action RPG is probably the most concise description I can come up with. It's kind of a weird game. I'd suggest watching some of the Giant Bomb Quick Look from the PC release.

Ferr986

It's basically an open world RPG with actually (really) good combat.

Dupes from BBI are the worst. Have 2 pieces of out 5 armour from end game, purify and get the same two pieces again lol. 100,000RC gone.

Anyone have any tips for bitterblack weapon lv.2 farming post-daimon? Need a dagger upgrade before really trying to clear 2nd tier daimon.

Is there a reason why you're not going straight to lvl 3 weapons? If you're post daimon you can sleep enough days to him to respawn, go through the second shortcut and run avoiding everything till Daimon to farm him (ranged classes can obliterate him with 4xperiats+blast arrows).

Chao

Just think of all those open world RPGs where people tell you to do quests you've played before, but now suddenly they implemented actual awesome combat where you do the cool stuff like climbing a giant and setting his head on fire, casting a fucking huge tornado or fighting Devil May Cry style against a horde of lizard men. Not a part or a cutscene or some turn based shit where you press A to awesome.

You'll be running back and forth slaying dudes, jumping from cliffs and flying on a Griffin's tail.

Zeta Oni

Really wonder how many people pay attention to
what the Seneschal is implying when you get the option to ask him those questions.

Truly a game defining moment for me.

Really wonder how many people pay attention to
what the Seneschal is implying when you get the option to ask him those questions.

Truly a game defining moment for me.

We really need someone out there to explain the story like those FF7 explained in 5 minutes videos.

Audioboxer

It's basically an open world RPG with actually (really) good combat.

Is there a reason why you're not going straight to lvl 3 weapons? If you're post daimon you can sleep enough days to him to respawn, go through the second shortcut and run avoiding everything till Daimon to farm him (ranged classes can obliterate him with 4xperiats+blast arrows).

I took him on as normal and his 2nd form obliterated me lol. Might try your tactic.

Maybe it's just a case of bad memory, but for some reason I don't remember NPC and creature pop-in being as bad in the last-gen version. On ps4 it seems like way more prevalent than before. Like with enemies, wild animals, and most noticeably NPCs suddenly just appearing out of nowhere.

ugh, screw it. Got the game.

The hype around here was too much. I am practically going in blind and have no idea what a pawn is.

I think I am leaning Strider to start.

gioGAF

Update (10/13/17)

PSN ID: Akuma_818
Pawn name: Isabel
Pawn level: 115
Pawn vocation: Ranger
Additional details: Currently leveling, will eventually be a Strider. Doing regular quests for knowledge/trophies right now. Please take my pawn along for bestiary/geography/quest knowledge.
-----
To those that have taken my pawn out questing, let me know if you need any specific item that can be bought with gold and/or mailed. Since I really appreciate bestiary/geography knowledge, I want to reward those who have helped me out, thanks :)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
ugh, screw it. Got the game.

The hype around here was too much. I am practically going in blind and have no idea what a pawn is.

I think I am leaning Strider to start.

I went in blind and it's been a wild ride so far, my friend.

After watching some YT vids, I decided to go Fighter>Assassin. Assassin fits my playstyle better than Mystic Kight or Warrior. Definitely going Strider>Magic Archer next playthrough though.

Shengar

I've always used pawns at my level and kept them around for 5-10 levels after then flushed them for new ones. I always check inclinations to make sure here aren't any of the really useless ones like Guardian, but I haven't been too specific about them otherwise. As for the
Everfall, I didn't really skip the place, I went through most of it I think, but I figured it was a bit pointless with BBI existing. I just expected the experience gain in BBI to be a lot better than it is.
I should have this flower since I did every quest through a guide, but I'm sure by now it's wilted if that's a problem lol. I kind of just hoard items and never use them. Hell, I didn't start using healing items until the first boss in BBI.

I've been chest farming level 2 BBI weapons so I'm at least rich now but my RNG is garbage and can't get the bow or 2 Hander. As hard as BBI has been because of my stats and whatnot, it's definitely been the most enjoyable part of the game for me. I like the Ur-dragon and all, but the climbing controls and camera are just God awful sometimes.

If you haven't defeated Daimon yet, then go to Rotunda of Dread. Enemies selection are more or less the same with post-game dungeon and they are easier to farm for exp. If you already defeated Daimon, then tough luck because the monster compositions are some crazy shit intended for late level player.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Just think of all those open world RPGs where people tell you to do quests you've played before, but now suddenly they implemented actual awesome combat where you do the cool stuff like climbing a giant and setting his head on fire, casting a fucking huge tornado or fighting Devil May Cry style against a horde of lizard men. Not a part or a cutscene or some turn based shit where you press A to awesome.

You'll be running back and forth slaying dudes, jumping from cliffs and flying on a Griffin's tail.

Not sure how to quote all the responses but once again GAF delivers the impressions - this game sounds awesome. On the verge of picking it up (need to finish the game I'm playing first) and will report back with my findings.

Thanks!

Dark Souls is my fave. This has some Souls feels and some Skyrim but also a charm all its own

edukate

Open world Action rpg with a souls like feel but the fluidity of a shadow of colossus (animations and scaling of enemies are handled nicely). Cool loot— really well done class system. Day/ night cycle in this game is done amazingly well. Seeing the sun set and feeling uneasy is something I haven’t ever felt in a game like I do in this one; there’s Chimera encounters then there’s Chimeras at night. Them shits will make you jump...

You could take on 2nd form Daimon with lvl1 BBI weapons if you stack periapts (4 of the same one at once), that should make you be able to put a dent in him. But if you want to farm some drops, the arena right before the ruined town before you fight Daimon basically respawns enemies, usually dragon types, and they can drop lvl2-3 BBI cursed weapons.

every time i see this thread i think back to one my favorite gaming moments of last gen. Deciding randomly to go exploring the western part of the map early on in the game, scared to death during night time, not knowing what I'll run into. I go to a cliff and run into my first golem, I fought that thing on the edge of a cliff from midnight until dawn, a grueling epic battle, I still can see the visual of it shooting its lasers as the sun was coming up.

Seiryoden

Life please stop bothering me, all I want to do is play Dragon's Dogma.

Maybe this weekend.

Pawn update

PSN ID: Shishinden
Pawn name: Yukiko / Yuki
Pawn level: 48
Pawn vocation: Fighter (9) atm or Ranger (10)
Additional Details: Sinew, strength & defense augments. Scather / Challenger.

Here she is with Gaf Athena.

brI1ONnl.jpg

Bonus: Gaf Melek smacking a Chimera:

Hs34YuAh.jpg

Maybe it's just a case of bad memory, but for some reason I don't remember NPC and creature pop-in being as bad in the last-gen version. On ps4 it seems like way more prevalent than before. Like with enemies, wild animals, and most noticeably NPCs suddenly just appearing out of nowhere.

i think nothing has changed. looked like i had a pack of wolves spawning right beside me in the darkness. can happen when you turn abruptly sometimes.

I’m loving Shadow of War and feel glad I waited to come back to this ...

But hearing all the impressions has me hyped ...

Can’t wait to grind out my Assassin and go stomping through the woods at night ...

Keep the stories coming!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Life please stop bothering me, all I want to do is play Dragon's Dogma.

Maybe this weekend.

Pawn update

PSN ID: Shishinden
Pawn name: Yukiko / Yuki
Pawn level: 48
Pawn vocation: Fighter (9) atm or Ranger (10)
Additional Details: Sinew, strength & defense augments. Scather / Challenger.

Here she is with Gaf Athena.

brI1ONnl.jpg

Bonus: Gaf Melek smacking a Chimera:

Hs34YuAh.jpg

*taking notes since most of the time I need either fighter or strider/ranger*

Feel free to add me on PSN, everyone: LaughingBanana. I always try to use GAF pawns whenever I am able.

Abylim

BBI done! If you guys want a level 134 fighter with scathed/utilitarian add me.
She has 5k health, 2500 strength and 1100 Defense. She’s a wrecking crew. Also she looks a little like Sansa :p

PSN Abylim

Top Bottom