• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Tobor

I'm playing on normal and I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm not as far in as you are. I got distracted by the DLC content, I've been doing that first.

For the PC version: http://social.bioware.com/game_patches.php

Patch details:

-fixed potential corruption of character statistics
-fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable Character Creator
-fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator
-made Easy difficulty easier
-slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty
-fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays

Tenks

That's kind of lame that the PC version of normal became easier. I honestly thought the difficulty was just right. It made you act strategically instead of just bum rushing. Kind of sad to hear about this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For all the "new shit" slogan being thrown around, this is probably one of the most old school RPG's i've played on the 360 :lol

Zeliard

LCfiner said:
just basing myself on the posts above mine. I figure it just came out like... now.

It was out last night. I was halfway through the Stone Prisoner when I downloaded it. The battles after that went quicker and easier against basically the same-level enemies, so I easily noticed the difference in difficulty on Normal.

Shame about that.

LCfiner

Tobor said:
I'm playing on normal and I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm not as far in as you are. I got distracted by the DLC content, I've been doing that first.

Hmm. I think as soon as I finish this circle of magi quest I'm moving it back up to normal.

I would do it now but
My party is disbanded and I'm by myself right now, chugging potions and healing a lot while fighting off quite a few dudes in this quest. I'd probably get wiped out a few too many times on normal before I get the party back together

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Tenks said:
That's kind of lame that the PC version of normal became easier. I honestly thought the difficulty was just right. It made you act strategically instead of just bum rushing. Kind of sad to hear about this.

Eh. Just don't install the patch? I've been playing on easy because this was really my first time playing a game with tactics like this. Easy has been ridiculously amateur though. I'll probably ratchet it up to normal after installing the patch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GSG Flash said:
:lol

That is so true, I was actually in disbelief the first time I talked to that guy. I can't believe they advertised the DLC in the game, which makes me wonder why it wasn't included on the disc in the first place, like it would've been before the age of DLCs :(

You answered your own question.

I didn't feel the sting though. Warden's Keep was included for me for the same exact prise of the normal console version. :D

Anyone read 1up's Monthly Grind?

I've certainly seen my share of fantasy stories in the vein of Dragon Age. I've enjoyed both Harry Potter and Babylon 5 in the past, and I got my fair share of royal politicking in Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber. But while each of those stories brought something new to the table, Dragon Age is content to tread territory that has been thoroughly canvassed over the course of some sixty years. It's fantasy comfort food.

That said though, it still feels like a missed opportunity. For a studio that has built its reputation on quality writing, BioWare seems to have a great deal of trouble creating interesting worlds of its own. They've done great things with Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons, but I've always struggled to enjoy Mass Effect, which was a very good game based around some very boring science fiction. For all their talent, I find BioWare's lack of new ideas curious. It's not as if fantasy has been completely mined for good ideas -- Martin, Robert Jordan and even Stephen King have demonstrated that much. Much as I've enjoyed Dragon Age, I believe that a truly unique premise married with BioWare's trademark writing and attention to detail would really be something special.

As it is, BioWare's true potential remains buried in Dragon Age's elaborate codex. Tycho's vivid description of the Templars and the Mages is only a tiny taste of what we're missing.

I find it a bit disingenuous to compare Dragon Age's (a massive video game) fantasy world (which is obviously inspired by past fantasy books/novels/movies) to a completely different medium in novels (many of which are inspired by the very same group of stories) which carries with them a much, much lower chance of risk involved but whatever I guess.

Your thoughts?

Also, what the shit? They made Normal easier? It was fine as it is! Well, was I guess. =/

DietRob

LCfiner said:
Hmm. I think as soon as I finish this circle of magi quest I'm moving it back up to normal.

Yea Circle of Magi is a little difficult huh. I've been stuck in there since last night.

I keep getting confused with all of the rat holes and where they dump me out at. I did however just get the spirit and fire shapeshifter though. I really like the spirit one though I wish I could take it out of the fade with me.

Shinjitsu

Banned
It seems like the game is having some issues with windows 7 64x and certain hardware configs, I'm only able to play for about an hour or so before the game compleatly goes into slideshow mode for me. Seems like I'm not the only one suffering from theses issues from looking at the bioware boards.

Thank god I have torchlight and borderlands to hold me over tell bioware gets this fixed:D

LCfiner

Kintaro said:
I find it a bit disingenuous to compare Dragon Age's (a massive video game) fantasy world (which is obviously inspired by past fantasy books/novels/movies) to a completely different medium in novels (many of which are inspired by the very same group of stories) which carries with them a much, much lower chance of risk involved but whatever I guess.

Your thoughts?

As I said before, I don't read fantasy novels so a lot of the stuff Bioware has done here may have already been seen before.

that said, I really liked the way they treat mages as slaves in this world. taken from their families and holed up in the tower. Everything I've seen before has treated wizards and mages as something otherworldly and superior. not here.

I haven't seen enough of the human and dwarven societies to make any comments. and, so far, the darkspawn are pretty much like LOTR orcs. I hope to see new twists to the formula in the coming days of playtime but I'm not counting on it.

Tobor

Fantasy comfort food is a good description and exactly what I'm looking for in a game like this. You could easily call Mass Effect sci-fi comfort food. Bioware makes a great meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Dr. Greg was just on Retronauts talking about how they feel they know what their RPG customers want in a product, and I agree, at least for this customer.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Tobor said:
Dr. Greg was just on Retronauts talking about how they feel they know what their RPG customers want in a product, and I agree, at least for this customer.

Funny how that doesnt translate to the DLC.

REV 09

TheFreshPrince said:
As someone who never played any of the BG games, or really any games in this style, I'm struggling with how much I should be micro-managing my party members.

I'd like to just focus on battling with my main character, but I also feel like I should be switching amongst characters...isn't that the whole point of the tactical system?

So, for all of you experts out there, how often do you switch between characters? Only for bosses? In regular encounters, is it okay to just control my own character?

Also, is low-level/early gameplay kind of....easy/dull?

4 hrs in and still trying to wrap my head around the whole battle system.....

Thanks!
the battle system didn't start clicking for me until around 8 or 9 hours in. that seems like a long ass time, but in this game, it really isn't :lol .

DietRob

Tobor said:
Considering how many people in this thread went ahead and bought Warden's Peak, yeah it does.

Speaking of does wardens keep come with the collectors edition for PC I had to buy at Best Buy? It was the only form of the game they had left. I haven't really looked into it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
RbBrdMan said:
Speaking of does wardens keep come with the collectors edition for PC I had to buy at Best Buy? It was the only form of the game they had left. I haven't really looked into it.

afaik no version comes with Wardens Keep.

Tobor said:
Considering how many people in this thread went ahead and bought Warden's Peak, yeah it does.

i doubt they wanted to pay for dlc that has storage and unique abilities. i know i wont.

Tobor

I thought the deluxe download version did to make up for no map or bonus disc? I thought someone had said that.

DietRob

Tobor said:
I thought the deluxe download version did to make up for no map or bonus disc? I thought someone had said that.

Ah well. I would have rather had the in game content than the napkin, er map. But oh well.

Corum

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUU

I went into town earlier to pick the game up only to come back to having my graphics card blow/fuck up. When I turn on the PC, the screen is a bit messed up and then the blue screen. I can use it in safe mode but is there any utilities/programs which i can run to ensure its my graphics card that is fucked?

PowerColor HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - by the way.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Even with all my love for Dragon Age, there are few things I'm a little disappointed about.

Not too spoilerish, but just in case
I didn't like the fact that the endings left Shale out. No dialogue, no written word, no status of what happened to Shale. It's as if Shale never existed once the conclusion begins

Tobor

I understand your dissapointment, Number 2. Personally, I'm enjoying the game enough that I don't mind putting another 6 bucks in, and I liked the quest.

I draw the line on disposable items. I won't pay real money for ammo or in game money. Any game that tries that loses my purchase.

syllogism

In Denerim I got a random encounter where
I was attacked by ~20 soldiers supposedly because I've been stealing so much
. I was hoping for something like that.

painey

so.. regarding the people who can join your party, heres what i've summarised so far.. warning, the LAST spoiler line contains a BIG spoiler so don't highlight that line if you don't want a serious spoiler.

Alistair; Human Warrior, Grey Warden [Automatic]
Morrigan; Human Mage, Shapeshifting Witch [Automatic]
War Dog; Mabari Warhound [Optional, needs to be healed before the first battle] - Automatic if chosing Human Noble Origin
Sten; Qunari Giant Warrior [Optional, needs to be freed from his cage in Lothing]
Leliana, Human Rogue [Optional, Met in Bar in Lothing]
Zavran, Elvish Assassin [Optional, fend of his assassination attempt]
Wynne, Mage [Unknown]
Oghren, Dwarf [Unknown]
Shale, Stone Golem [Only available via DLC - Not known if needed for Achievement]
Logain, [Optional - Becomes Grey Warden after you defeat him in Landsmeat, you will lose Alistair if Logain joins]

lostzenfound

I'll preface all of this by saying that I've been playing more DA than any game in months. I've been ignoring releases that I thought would be great (Brutal Legend, Forza) in favor of waiting for this, and I'm not really upset about it now that I've started this fucking bit o' glory.

Now, with that said, god damn these games are getting predictable.

Getting trapped in the fade by the sloth demon
in the Circle of Magi quest.
Blech... the shape-shifting was unique, but isn't there just always some point in every game like this where you main gets trapped without your party? Sure, it's not always in a magical dreamy alter-realm, but they're just using different scenery to achieve the same goal. You have to fight shit on your own, good luck.

Also, I just made it to the dwarven city,
and now I have to fight in a colosseum. Really? That's about the single most over-played RPG element, or if not the most, it's mighty fucking high up there. Blarghle-fuck. I'm so tired of colosseums. Sure, there's the morality to this one, and you don't even HAVE to fight in it... but you get what I'm saying, no?

Lastly, Shale
is the best character. Ever. He's damned hilarious when he interjects in cut-scenes, and he hasn't wavered up or down in his appreciation of me no matter my choices. I love him. I can't quite remember what it was, but he said some A grade comedy at the top of the circle of Magi.

Whatever... I'm a whiner. A legitimate whiner, but a whiner nonetheless. I still love it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Tobor said:
I draw the line on disposable items. I won't pay real money for ammo or in game money. Any game that tries that loses my purchase.

Ammo? Dont give these companies any ideas :lol

i dont really have that much of a problem with the Wardens Keep dlc to be honest. im happy they included Stone Prisoner for free with new copies since it was originally planned to be in the game. Bioware has had the premium module stuff since NWN so its nothing really new. i just dont like buying for stuff i dont have. Companies can disappear overnight no matter how big they are. A few years ago a salesman tried selling me a warranty once at Sears for a fridge. i said "how do i know Sears is going to be here next year?" and he kind of laughed and said he doubted they were going anywhere. i told him about how the last time i bought a warranty it was at Montgomery Wards and if he had ever heard of them. He dropped the warranty talk lol. i really dislike buying intangible things for real money.

Caspel

Tobor said:
I understand your dissapointment, Number 2. Personally, I'm enjoying the game enough that I don't mind putting another 6 bucks in, and I liked the quest.

Well the quest is actually a two-parter if you are able to talk to Shale.
You'll visit the Deep Roads for an exclusive area
but I won't say anymore. So, playing on Normal or harder, it should be about a 3 hr quest to fully complete and get the achievements/trophies for.

Since it was free, I'm not too torn
that I don't know what happened to Shale in the epilogue

So I have been having an insane amount of fun with this game on the 360. It really is becoming one of my favorite RPG's and I plan to replay it.

I already got the
2 of the 3 races to side with me, I'm now saving the paragon in Ozrammar to get them to help us.

It's just taken over my life and I love every minute of it.

Zeliard

Is that thing with the vendor in the game selling DLC really that obtrusive with the wording? What does he actually say? :p

Caspel said:
Well the quest is actually a two-parter if you are able to talk to Shale.
You'll visit the Deep Roads for an exclusive area
but I won't say anymore. So, playing on Normal or harder, it should be about a 3 hr quest to fully complete and get the achievements/trophies for.

Oh cool, so there is a "Deep Roads" area in the game. It's noted in the codex that
ogres
like to prowl there.

The codex in this game is fun to read.

Dennis

Banned
Zefah said:
I'm running the game at max graphical settings, 1920x1200 resolution, 2x AA and no Vsync with a Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.2ghz), 4GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB on 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate and according to FRAPS at least I am getting 60fps with dips into the 40s in some scenes. Some areas will even drop into the 30s but I have never gone sub-30.
I am running the game at 2560 x 1600 with 8xAA and 16xAF with:

Quad core 2.83 Ghz, 8 GB ram, HD4870x2, Vista 64 bit

fps is usually between 40-50

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yoboman said:
The character creation tool is pretty good. What does everyone's characters look like?

Heres my princess in action.. i love the look on her face :lol
princess.jpg

Caspel

Zeliard said:
Is that thing with the vendor in the game selling DLC really that obtrusive with the wording? What does he actually say? :p

Oh cool, so there is a "Deep Roads" area in the game. It's noted in the codex that
ogres
like to prowl there.

I haven't bought the Warden's Quest yet as I'm waiting for EA to send over the code so I can review it later on.

About the Deep Roads
Expect a lot of ogres with the darkspawn and spiders. I believe there are are 6 areas to unlock down there with a 7th being unlocked with Shale through conversation

Dennis

Banned
Tenks said:
I agree. I don't think I will be installing the patch. Maybe I will if I decide on a second playthrough.

Zzoram

Relix said:
Well with everything at 720P and no AA textures in medium and models in Med-High, about 30Fps with some hits and there.

Specs:
IBM Xenon 3.2GHZ
Custom ATI GPU Xenos
512MB RAM
20GB HDD

:lol Well played.

Tenks

DennisK4 said:
I agree. I don't think I will be installing the patch. Maybe I will if I decide on a second playtheough.

I'm on Steam so I'll get auto-patched will I not? Is there a way to tell Steam to give the patch a big old middle finger?

bengraven

Zeliard said:

ogres
like to prowl there.

Instead of [Persuasion] or [Cunning], it says [Premium Content] in the dialogue tree.

Seriously.

Zzoram

Yoboman said:
I'm getting 28 - 40 FPS with all high settings 1680 x 1050 resolution and 4x AA

Specs:
i7 920
4GB RAM
GTX 260

Anybody with similar specs tell me what they are getting?

I'm getting around the same, E8400, 4GB, HD4870 512mb, 1680x1050, vsync on, 8xAA

Zzoram

Tenks said:
I'm on Steam so I'll get auto-patched will I not? Is there a way to tell Steam to give the patch a big old middle finger?

I personally think the game is still pretty hard on Normal after the patch.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DennisK4 said:
Looks cute and with lots of character. And as you say the expression is great :D
Thanks :lol i had to turn off the persistent blood though because i would kill 2 rats and end up looking like i was slaughtering Bajorans all day for Gul Darhe'el. :lol

Top Bottom