• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
2q8xb2s.jpg

Now THAT was an awesome boss battle, 15 minutes of non stop struggle :) God bless you Wayne. :D And loot, oh my god teh loot.

Is that the dragon in the
mountains where you get the Urn? What level were you when you fought him and what difficulty setting?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Man, I really love Shale. Terrific character both in and out of combat. I love his outlook and philosophy on things, as well as his personal background. Also, the fact that my player character is a mage is quite ironic given Shale's backstory, and he doesn't fail to mention it.

And yeah, I switched to Hard difficulty permanently. I'm sorry but they simply fucked Normal up. I had to actually go into the menu and check that I hadn't accidentally switched it to Easy, it's that bad. I went from having to regularly bust out the healing spell and a couple of healing pots during most battles, to literally just letting my characters go and simply watching their health bars as a test, and seeing the bars barely moving. They got boost in defense on top of the boost in offense, so they take less damage while ending battles more quickly.

Having said that, I suppose that makes it more like Normal difficulty in most other games, but I really thought it was nicely balanced before and offered a fun challenge.

Hard is fantastic, though, so it's not that huge a deal. Should have played in that difficulty from the start - it's not nearly as absurdly difficult as I was expecting and feels like how the game should really be played. I was micromanaging heavily on Normal difficulty anyway, so it's a natural progression.

Yeah I have noticed that normal is now significantly easier. I thought it might have just been my new gear, but it is a ton easier than before the patch. My tank classes take forever to die. Most non-boss encounters I can just breeze through without doing anything but selecting everyone in my group and right clicking each target until all are dead. I think I might bump it up to hard to bring the challenge back.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
FFS.. im at the first boss again. Its ridiculously difficult. He resists everything but Dirty Fighting. i really dont want to run around in circles for 10 minutes again :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zefah said:
mountains where you get the Urn? What level were you when you fought him and what difficulty setting?

That guy destroyed me at level 11, I even tried it on casual but he killed us all in 30 seconds and we hardly even took a slice off his health bar.
I banged the gong, thinking I could take him down without too much trouble but I'm definitely gonna have to wait a long time until I'm ready for him.

Animation-Imp said:
This is the first time I have trouble choosing between three versions.

I fear if I buy the pc version it won't run properly,
I have an intel dual core 1.84 Ghz cpu
a nvidia geforce 9600 gt with 1 gig on board ram
and two gigs ddr2 ram in my system.

Pretty sure it'll run best on your PC. No way you can OC? That chip should manage 3ghz and at that point it'll be a night and day difference between the versions.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
Yeah I have noticed that normal is now significantly easier. I thought it might have just been my new gear, but it is a ton easier than before the patch. My tank classes take forever to die. Most non-boss encounters I can just breeze through without doing anything but selecting everyone in my group and right clicking each target until all are dead. I think I might bump it up to normal to bring the challenge back.

You mean bump it up to Hard? :p

You should definitely try it, especially if you're already micromanaging. The only reason I didn't play on Hard from the start is because I didn't necessarily want to be hounded on my first playthrough (I was leaving Hard for later ones), but it isn't like that - the challenge is fair, fun and a lot more tactical (partly since enemy resistances are much higher). I'd imagine Nightmare is pretty damn brutal, though.

So I guess I should be thanking that patch.

DieH@rd

Banned
Zefah said:

I was at level 11 at the time, and i've changed the difficulty to Easy before i called the dragon with that Horn. Great fight, but i must reccomend that everyone disperse their party across the field. Fighters CAN NOT attack shoulder to shoulder. One attack from the front, one from the back.

Even at level11 it was OK, you just have to manage HP spells nicely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
I was at level 11 at the time, and i've changed the difficulty to Easy before i called the dragon with that Horn. Great fight, but i must reccomend that everyone disperse their party across the field. Fighters CAN NOT attack shoulder to shoulder. One attack from the front, one from the back.

Even at level11 it was OK, you just have to manage HP spells nicely.

I'll have to give it another try with more ranged fighters then and try to keep them far away.

(Major Morrigan story spoiler)
have you killed Flemmeth as well?

Zeliard said:
You mean bump it up to Hard? :p

You should definitely try it, especially if you're already micromanaging. The only reason I didn't play on Hard from the start is because I didn't necessarily want to be hounded on my first playthrough (I was leaving Hard for later ones), but it isn't like that - the challenge is fair, fun and a lot more tactical (partly since enemy resistances are much higher). I'd imagine Nightmare is pretty damn brutal, though.

So I guess I should be thanking that patch.

Err, yeah, I meant bump it up to hard :p

Jinjo

Oh man I love this game so much.

Had a marathon session last night from 9 till 4. Slept for about 6-7 hours and played another 5-6 hours after I woke up. I have never had this before.:lol

The difficulty is totally unbalanced though. I was doing fine in Brecelian forest on normal, but when I encountered the first miniboss in the ruins I got raped. Even normal encounters after that where just too damn difficult. Changed it too easy and then it was fine again. Challenging but not mindblowingly difficult.

Then I got to the mages tower and breezed past everything. Even when solo. Maybe it had to do with my newly found Arcane Warrior specialization. It's such a great ability.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've only just finished the human noble story but I am in love. The music, the voice acting, the feel of the combat. Even the graphics look pretty nice outside of close ups. The background story is really intriguing, I love that Bioware is doing these codex/dictionaries since they were so popular in Mass Effect.

Alex

Of course, the PC version looks a lot better, but I'm not a big fan of the constant pausing, and the action-y feel of the console version suits me fine.

It's not a more actiony feel, it's just significantly easier. There's less pausing because the challenge and micromanagement needed has been gutted.

Zeliard

Feels so nice to actually play this during the weekend when there's some free time, and you don't suddenly look at the clock to find that you have to be up for work in four hours.

painey

Im a little disapointed that theres so few "big" areas to explore. Most of them have 1 storyline quest and its a cookie cutter good v bad quest.

megalowho

Man, I really wanted to enjoy this one on the PC. But my low profile graphics card just can't handle it, giving me a janky framerate even with the lowest settings and a low resolution. Plus it looks like poop compared to the screenshots above, though I'll admit there's a certain old school charm in making this game look like it was made circa 1998.

I'll be heading to pick up my 360 copy in defeat shortly. Game is too good not to play. PC version will still be around for me whenever I get to upgrading my machine someday.

painey said:
Im a little disapointed that theres so few "big" areas to explore. Most of them have 1 storyline quest and its a cookie cutter good v bad quest.
i agree. i started the game last night. played for 4 hours or so, and so far i've only seen small areas seperated by loading time...it's kind of disapointing. i was expecting wow sized overworld with no/little loading time between joint zones.

megalowho said:
Man, I really wanted to enjoy this one on the PC. But my low profile graphics card just can't handle it, giving me a janky framerate even with the lowest settings and a low resolution. Plus it looks like poop compared to the screenshots above, though I'll admit there's a certain old school charm in making this game look like it was made circa 1998.

I'll be heading to pick up my 360 copy in defeat shortly. Game is too good not to play. PC version will still be around for me whenever I get to upgrading my machine someday.
my 50$ vid card handles the game just fine. if you can't return the pc copy, why not invest in a new vid card instead of buying the 360 version?

dogknight

Ceebs said:
I am in love with the way your decent into the Deep Roads has been handled so far while doing the Dwarf King stuff. Every section you go deeper into gets darker and crazier than the last.

Just killed off the Broodmother, and the payoff there would have been amazing if it was not spoiled by the marketing.

I need some help here...
cannot find the Dead Trenches. The Branka's Journal said she went south, but I spent nearly two hours wandering in Caradin's Cross and still couldn't find it

painey said:
Well that is as good as bioware delivered in the recent years.

Edit: Oh nvm I guess. There are a lot of big areas to explore. Its just that they are all dungeons filled with enemies.

Twilight Princess said:
i agree. i started the game last night. played for 4 hours or so, and so far i've only seen small areas seperated by loading time...it's kind of disapointing. i was expecting wow sized overworld with no/little loading time between joint zones.
Bioware has yet to make a game with an overworld in it. The Old Republic might be the first. But even then who knows.
dogknight said:
I need some help here...
cannot find the Dead Trenches. The Branka's Journal said she went south, but I spent nearly two hours wandering in Caradin's Cross and still couldn't find it
You need to get to Ortan Thaig first

Dead

well not really...yet
Need quick confirmation. True that Stone Prisoner comes free with the regular edition of the game and not just the CE?

Zeliard

Dead said:
Need quick confirmation. True that Stone Prisoner comes free with the regular edition of the game and not just the CE?

It's free to everyone right now who bought an original copy of the game. It was supposed to be a part of the regular game but they ran into some development time issues.

I think it'll be sold later on, though, to try and curb used game sales and rentals.

Dead

well not really...yet
Zeliard said:
It's free to everyone right now who bought an original copy of the game. It was supposed to be a part of the regular game but they ran into some development time issues.

I think it'll be sold later on, though, to try and curb used game sales and rentals.
Nice, thanks

Tom Penny

So on the fence for this game. I don't skip too many good RPG's but i'm thinking this one might be a bit too micromanage. Ah what to do?

epmode

So has anyone made a mod to simply increase bag space? My packrat tendencies are making this very difficult, even with the storage from Warden's Keep.
Revelations said:
I so want to be an Arcane Warrior...wearing armor, wielding swords AND doing basic magic is awesomesauce.
I just specced as an Arcane Warrior. It's fun! The thing to know is that you don't have any of the melee talents that other classes have so it's probably a good idea to pick up a bunch of persistent buffs that augment melee power and defense. And when it's all up at the same time, you're not going to have much mana left for spells.

Still, there's nothing stopping you from just going back to a regular ranged damage dealer every once in a while.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A question about specializations.. i know you get a point at 7 and then another at 14.. are these just to unlock the special class? Or do those two points go into the class tree themselves?

edit: nvm.. read the wiki. So you can open up two different specs on your character?

RuGalz

Still trying to decide between PC and PS3 version... Obviously PC version is superior in every way but I really don't like sitting in front of the desk to play games. A couple videos of PS3 version makes me think the frame rate might give me headaches. Ugh, decisions... Does the PC version supports playing from the pad well?

dogknight

Number 2 said:
A question about specializations.. i know you get a point at 7 and then another at 14.. are these just to unlock the special class? Or do those two points go into the class tree themselves?

edit: nvm.. read the wiki. So you can open up two different specs on your character?
Yes, you can

Bootaaay said:
Damn :( I guess i'll have to be careful I don't miss out on any other party members then, what a pain :/

yea you really have to build a lot of social bridges. really incredible system they got here. playing this makes me regret quitting mass effect so early...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the DLC to work on my PS3. I activated it on an EA account that my gamertag can't be tied to, but I think if I create a new PSN ID and use it with this EA account that I can still get the DLC on my system.

One more question, though, did I screw myself over by redeeming the voucher on their website if I'm playing the PS3 version? I got the impression that it was what I was supposed to do, but if I activated it on an EA account (on Bioware's site) that's tied to my PSN ID will I be able download it in the in-game menu? Blurg.

shit, i just read, if you become a
blood mage
, the only worthy priest in your party will leave. there's no way to have the best spec'ed healer + PC dps mage spec'ed as a
blood mage
in the same party. :( i guess i'll be a shapeshifter or something

Twilight Princess said:
blood mage
, the only worthy priest in your party will leave. there's no way to have the best spec'ed healer + PC dps mage spec'ed as a
blood mage
Doesn't mean that you can't turn Morigan into a healer.

dogknight

Twilight Princess said:
blood mage
blood mage
I am not sure...
I am a blood mage now but Wynne is still at my camp

megalowho

Twilight Princess said:
my 50$ vid card handles the game just fine. if you can't return the pc copy, why not invest in a new vid card instead of buying the 360 version?
I'd love to but I shortsightedly purchased a slim profile PC, which seriously limits my options. Price was great but it's not a gaming machine. If there's a low profile graphics card out there that GAF recommends I'm all ears.

Mrbob

Just play it on normal...if you think its too easy switch to hard. There you go.

I did see the 360 version last night too, and uh, yeah. Where did all the textures go? I got used to it after time but I gotta be honest, initial impressions were pretty jarring.

dogknight said:
I am not sure...
I am a blood mage now but Wynne is still at my camp
ohh, i think i misread it. you just can't tell her that you're a
blood mage
or she'll leave. but its strange, when you use your
blood mage
spells, wouldn't she notice? lol

Lostconfused said:
Doesn't mean that you can't turn Morigan into a healer.
i don't think ms bare breasts will ever be as good a healer as
Wynne
. plus
Wynne
gets her really useful character specific spell later on. Morigan has too many points wasted by the time i get her =(

megalowho said:
I'd love to but I shortsightedly purchased a slim profile PC, which seriously limits my options. Price was great but it's not a gaming machine. If there's a low profile graphics card out there that GAF recommends I'm all ears.
ati4670's low profile. it's what i have for my htpc (and it plays dragon age perfectly on medium~high settings)

Top Bottom