• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Ploid 3.0

KGKK said:
Okay I know the PS3/360 is the PC's bitch and all and I fully surrender my ass for spanking from the PC, however is the PS3/360 version worth playing if you generally enjoy RPG's/Oblivion/KOTR?

Yes yes gawd yes, this game is amazing (I'm playing it on ps3). I just made it to a big city that has it's own world map. I encountered a battle moving from one district to another. This game is huge, and awesome, and amazing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yes yes gawd yes, this game is amazing (I'm playing it on ps3). I just made it to a big city that has it's own world map. I encountered a battle moving from one district to another. This game is huge, and awesome, and amazing.

Those random encounters and the most difficult and awesome fights.

Tendo

I suck at these kinds if games but I picked it up anyway. Torn between a human Mage or an elven archer. Iheard the dwarven origins are the best but I don't want to be a warrior. Choices choices.

Tendo said:
I suck at these kinds if games but I picked it up anyway. Torn between a human Mage or an elven archer. Iheard the dwarven origins are the best but I don't want to be a warrior. Choices choices.

Archers are pretty bad in this game by everything i've head, so take from that what you will.

Visceir

Dipper145 said:
I was in the market when I went to the city map, change from like local map to world map near the bottom of the thing that pops up. Took me a while too.

Thanks! I kept on clicking the wrong map, lol. I just got back to the camp to get all my bones fixed and
Allistar started giving me shit for using blood magic and sacrificing that woman to save her son....I actually felt guilty

Think I'll be doing some side-quests before continueing with the main storyline. Some battles can be really tough but that only makes the eventual victory taste all the better.

Himuro said:
I guess I don't care enough about game stories to care if a game like this is generic. It's not insultingly generic like a jrpg, at least.

I mean really, who gives a fuck?

I do. The game has a great world and I am very much so enjoying the plot, but it does seem a bit ordinary...but it's all presented well.

Are the console versions drastically easier or something? I haven't died yet...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just took back the PS3 version for the 360 one. The game runs MUCH smoother on 360, and the textures aren't worse enough to make me think much of it. If you own both systems and don't have a proper PC, the decision is a no-brainer.

KGKK

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I just took back the PS3 version for the 360 one. The game runs MUCH smoother on 360, and the textures aren't worse enough to make me think much of it. If you own both systems and don't have a proper PC, the decision is a no-brainer.

That's suffice to say enough for most next-gen games however is the PS3 version at least tolerable and enjoyable if your never gonna play the 360 version and never will come close to the PC version?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
KGKK said:
That's suffice to say enough for most next-gen games however is the PS3 version at least tolerable and enjoyable if your never gonna play the 360 version and never will come close to the PC version?
Tolerable? Sure, but it depends on how tolerable you are. On a 50" screen, the added stuttering when moving the camera around on the PS3 version killed my enjoyment of the game.

hermit7

KGKK said:

The PS3 version is completely adequate in my experience. There is some framerate issues, but they are manageable.

Finished Stone Prisoner DLC in about 30 minutes today, god I would have been soo pissed of I spent 15 dollars on it. Despite this Shale may be on of my favorite NPCs, along with Hermit (dog), and Morrigan whom I am coaxing in banging me.

So just finished the game, 44% completion rate at a nice 41 hours and 30 minutes mark.

Couple of thoughts. This is probably the best game Bioware made since Baldur's Gate II. At least it as close as they have come to it since they made KOTOR, I am ignoring NWN here since its trash and isn't worth mentioning it.

It probably is the best game Bioware made to date, but to be honest I don't like it that much or to be more clear I don't like it as much as their other games. Mass Effect still remains as my favorite.

I am not sure what it is, either the setting, the pacing of the game or the story it self but I didn't really feel involved or immersed in the world at all. The middle, meaty part of the game was definitely enjoyable but the ending is rather lacking I guess or at least it left me in a somewhat glum mood.

Anywho, now that ME is still $10 on steam think I am going to go back to it.

Edit: At least this is definitely a PC game, not a console port like borderlands or some such.

Deadalious

Neo Member
I have a spare GAME Pre-order card that gives the Guildmasters belt/Memory Band

Anyone have any other codes they want to swap for?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ntropy said:
my ass, the UI screams CONSOLE

Huh? Inventory maybe, but the UI? How do you mean?

edit:

Something ive noticed since ive started over.. before when i was playing Dwarf Noble i was a shield warrior. That extra tank slot helps ALOT :lol Especially in the beginning of Korcari Wilds and the
summoned creature thing with the dust. Before it wasnt a problem but now that my main character is a rogue.. made it a tad more difficult.
:lol

On the upside this playthrough ive been getting much better loot. And i missed the backpack from the quartermaster the first time around. i made the mistake of not checking his normal wares.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ntropy said:
my ass, the UI screams CONSOLE

Are you joking?

The only thing I can think of that might resemble a console game interface in the inventory list structure, but I see this type of list structure in plenty of PC-only games.

I am finally geting to spend time with the game. Its a good game but I must say the entire
dream sequence in the Fade
is horrible, I can do without the puzzle maze. It really has put a dent in my enjoyment.

ntropy

the inventory is horrible and there's no console window for detailed battle info. also, not ui related but there's no insane difficulty (enemies do double damage)

koji said:
That's what I'ld like to know as well, there's a link here.

I installed it manually anyway.

But before installing patch, I started config utility and it downloaded automatic update after which file versions were:

daorigins.exe - v1.00
daoriginslauncher.exe - v1.01
daoriginsconfig.exe - v1.03
uninstall dragon age.exe - v1.03

It didn't update daorigins.exe which is main game exe. So after installing patch, it shows:

daorigins.exe - v1.01
daoriginslauncher.exe - v1.01
daoriginsconfig.exe - v1.03
uninstall dragon age.exe - v1.03

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ntropy said:
the inventory is horrible and there's no console window for detailed battle info. also, not ui related but there's no insane difficulty (enemies do double damage)

Okay i understand the console window totally. i wish there was something like that so i could keep track of who did what.

As for the difficulty, im not really a tactical genius really, but Nightmare is pretty challenging. Spells and abilities are resisted a ton. Enemies hit a shit ton harder. If you get swamped its pretty much an F9.

Speaking of the difficulty.. FUCK that place in Korcari where
there is that Darkspawn mage on the bridge. You cant shoot arrows on the bridge because the engine treats it as a wall and you cant "see" the enemy. Got to run into the trap-filled choke point and get fucking owned by Fireball and archers and dudes pouring out of the side area.
i died at least 3 times trying to clear that place :lol

ntropy

Zefah said:
Are you joking?

The only thing I can think of that might resemble a console game interface in the inventory list structure, but I see this type of list structure in plenty of PC-only games.
but for something purported to be bg2's "successor," it's disappointing. but my complaints are minor annoyances, im enjoying the game. at least im not arguing about the graphics

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ntropy said:
but for something purported to be bg2's "successor," it's disappointing. but my complaints are minor annoyances, im enjoying the game. at least im not arguing about the graphics

I don't find the inventory system bad at all. It's not like the game has massive text like Oblivion where only a few items are displayed at once. You can see what you have easily and use the various filters to make it even more apparent. I actually like this inventory system quite a bit. Even more so than that of the Infinity Engine games. It is very easy to find what you are looking for and compare stats with your current window.

Also, is the nightmare difficulty not insane enough for you? I haven't tried it yet, but normal have been fairly challenging so far. I will definitely kick it up a notch for my next playthrough, though

I do agree that it would be nice to have a MMORPG-style console that you can easily scroll up through to see recent dialogue and have a tab for combat stuff that gives you a detailed numerical break down of what actually transpired. That would definitely be a nice addition.

MrHicks said:
what was i expecting?
dude there was this hype around that bioware was working on the story/universe for YEARS and YEARS and YEAAAAAARS

i expected something a little more then this LOTR copy/paste job

You believed bioware hype? good lord man you were setting yourself up for dissapointment.

koji

Inventory might be moddable though, not sure how much of the UI you can mod...

edit: seems like UI mods aren't allowed (or it has to be something like changing a template/image, stuff like that, but no big structural changes)

Rad-

Man, DA's graphics are underrated. When played from iso view the game looks great and even runs on older machines.

This game is just all kinds of awesome. Goty easily, and very likely my favorite game this gen. There are some flaws but I bet mods will fix most of them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
rhfb said:
Ugh that isn't what I wanted to hear.
Its a Party inventory so its shared across all members. Inventory space is also limited to 70 items at first. Throughout the game you get access to items that expand the total. i havent had a problem handling the inventory yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rad- said:
Man, DA's graphics are underrated. When played from iso view the game looks great and even runs on older machines.

This game is just all kinds of awesome. Goty easily, and very likely my favorite game this gen. There are some flaws but I bet mods will fix most of them.

I totally agree. Other than some of the environments I think the game looks extremely good.

Also, regarding the inventory: It is a lot better than Oblivion's. Hover over an item and you get a description of what it does. It will also bring up whatever you have equipped so you can easily compare the item to what you are currently wearing. It displays like 12 lines at once and you can filter it between weapon, armor, accessories, crafting and "other". You can stack any item up to 99x I believe so it doesn't get too cluttered. I think it works great. I prefer it to most MMORPGs where you have to discern what the item is by its graphical icon and there is no automatic organization.

iamblades

Rad- said:

It is an amazingly beautiful game when playing in iso.

The models and textures in cutscenes are a bit iffy though. It's one of the few games I can think of that looks better in gameplay than in cutscenes.

I even think the fade levels look awesome. That soft focus thing they do that makes everything looks dreamlike is nice.

Got it yesterday 2 things that are weird.

Why does everyone have giant hands?

Why do female elves' necks clip through the collar of their clothes?

May contain spoilers. No names or storyline, but it does contain my strategy to clearing a dungeon.

I just did the first dungeon in Denerim. Holy shit did the difficulty ramp up. I made it 1/2 way to the dungeon when I hit a fucking big wall. Had to fight 2 reg guards, a bulk guard, a capt., and two reg mages... All while on fire due to setting a trap! After dying 4-5 times, I ended up switching it to easy. Even then the enemies were tough.

The boss fight was pretty hard as well, even on easy. I had to keep frost cone on the boss at all times, all while fighting another mob. My 3rd cone missed and I thought I was screwed, but luckily my other 3 characters had finished off the 2 melee mobs that they were fighting. They came to my rescue and the fight was much more manageable with only the boss to worry about(had killed the other mob).

Fair warning to everyone just getting started... make sure you either have a high level herbalist who can make tier 2+ health potions(Morrigan starts off at lvl 2 herb I believe), a magic healer, or a lot of health potions. Denerim is the first major place I went to after given the choice, and the quantity of health potions is pretty dry. I've been lucky enough to survive with <5 potions, but it was pretty hard and I had a lot of wipes.

Also, I would suggest having a gambit that auto heals to the lesser health potion in your bag when your characters are below 25% or 10%. That shit will save your life!

Edit-For anyone going with Morrigan in your party, make sure you get the frost cone spell as soon as you level. It wil freeze all persons in its path(even friendlies) for 15+ seconds. It's so far the best CC early in the game. It can even freeze bosses and their doesn't seem to be diminishing returns(or at least I haven't seen it miss yet). Only downer is that it'll freeze your party members if they're in the way.

MrPing1000 said:
Got it yesterday 2 things that are weird.

Why does everyone have giant hands?

Why do female elves' necks clip through the collar of their clothes?
There's lots of clipping for clothing. Just the nature of the beast in these types of games really. And the giant hands and flat faces thing is mostly perspective/lighting issues.

I somehow spent the last four hours playing this game without even noticing. I'm up to like 15 hours played and I feel like I haven't played it at all. Maybe I passed out with it on or something, I've only just finished the Redcliff quest.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just started playing this game. I've already laughed more times than I can remember in any recent RPG. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying what little I've played (barely out of the tutorial, killed some rats, talked to my family a lot) but... there's something about the character designs, the cutscenes, the DOG, and my female character's camel toe all mixed into the game's very serious and dramatic tone that just cracks me up like no other game. :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
daorigins.jpg

One of the visually impressive rooms in the game that people were taking PC screenshots of. This is the console version and shows the 360's textures aren't as bad as Gamespot would have you believe.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It might have been answered already somewhere in this humongous thread, but how are the controls on consoles? is the game playable or is it a big mess?

Ceebs

I am in love with the way your decent into the Deep Roads has been handled so far while doing the Dwarf King stuff. Every section you go deeper into gets darker and crazier than the last.

Just killed off the Broodmother, and the payoff there would have been amazing if it was not spoiled by the marketing.

Hey guys, where am I supposed to get the dog? I talked to the guy in
the grey warden camp and he had me muzzle a dog, but I totally forgot about it afterwards and went on to do the lighting the beacon mission - now i've got Morrigan in my party and have moved to some shitty little village, have I missed the oppertunity to get the dog?

Top Bottom