• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Zeliard said:
:D

There's a "change party members" button on the menu taskbar of the UI, towards the right.

I assume it's also possible in the console versions somewhere in the menu.

It's on the radial menu, but the usage for me, at least, has been pretty limited, it's greyed out most of the time, basically wherever the chance of going into combat exists, I think.

Zeliard

Metroidvania said:
It's on the radial menu, but the usage for me, at least, has been pretty limited, it's greyed out most of the time, basically wherever the chance of going into combat exists, I think.

It's greyed out when you trigger a combat encounter, but not before then. You can be staring at a group of enemies and if they haven't noticed you, you can switch out party members.

Though I've barely used it as well since I love my main 4.

Ugh i must have tried this puzzle 100 times now and ive havent got the faintest clue what im supposed to do. Daelish camp/forrest spoilers
How the fuck do a solve the puzzle in the dungeon/crypt about the fountain and the altar.
any help would be most welcome.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Zeliard said:
It's greyed out when you trigger a combat encounter, but not before then. You can be staring at a group of enemies and if they haven't noticed you, you can switch out party members.

Hmm...hasn't been the case for me.

I'm only able to change in areas where no possibility of combat exists like the Dalish camp, etc.

Can't change out in most areas.

Wonder if it's a console thing.

So I just started the game, and for some reason my mousewheel doesn't work to zoom in and out.

Is this a known bug? I don't feel like going through the whole thread.

Alex

Confidence Man said:
So I just started the game, and for some reason my mousewheel doesn't work to zoom in and out.

Is this a known bug? I don't feel like going through the whole thread.

Never heard of that, you sure it works? :lol Kind of a dumb thing to ask, but whatever.

You should check your keybindings too.

kafka rock opera said:
Ugh i must have tried this puzzle 100 times now and ive havent got the faintest clue what im supposed to do. Daelish camp/forrest spoilers
How the fuck do a solve the puzzle in the dungeon/crypt about the fountain and the altar.
any help would be most welcome.

solution
There is a tablet with directions that tell you exactly what to do, should be recorded in the codex when you find it, don't remember it of the top of my head.

But here goes
go to the fountain
take the pitcher
fill it up with water
leave the fountain
There is an altar off to the side that is hard to notice walk to it
place the pitcher on the on the altar
pray before the altar
take the pitcher and take a sip from it
leave the alter
poor the water back into the fountain

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I pretty much just sat through 2 hours of voice acting. I fucking love this game. I can't help but just sit back and ask characters everything. I really like the back stories a lot. I'm only around 6 hours in or so but I can't wait to play more (feel like I have hardly scratched the surface) and am pumped that there is so much content in the game. I'm also really excited to try the other origins.

Zeliard

Metroidvania said:
Hmm...hasn't been the case for me.

I'm only able to change in areas where no possibility of combat exists like the Dalish camp, etc.

Can't change out in most areas.

Wonder if it's a console thing.

No, I just checked it out and you're right. It does only seem limited to certain areas, but it's strange because I'm not sure why you can switch in certain areas but not others.

i.e. you can switch people out in Lothering and Frostback Mountains, but you can't at Flemeth's Hut and Soldier's Peak (after doing the Warden's Keep quest).

Captain N

I got the PS3 version and finished the Human origin story. It's pretty sweet so far. I can totally see how people think it feels like Mass Effect.

Where are you guys seeing your percentage completed?

Edit: HOLY SHIT. 22% and I'm 23 hours in. I don't get it though, this doesn't make any sense.

I've completed
Redcliff
and the
Mages tower in their entirety. Including the search for the urn and all the DLC.
Will more locations open up on the map or are there just that many sidequests? Or do the origins each count as like 10% and the romances and whatnot as 5% each? I can't possibly see where another 80 hours of main game could come from.

Captain N said:
I got the PS3 version and finished the Human origin story. It's pretty sweet so far. I can totally see how people think it feels like Mass Effect so far.

It is all in the animations, especially the ones for convos.

eXistor

Alex said:
Outside of Uncharted 2, this is probably the best looking game I've played this year, so I'm utterly stumped at visual complaints.
You can't be serious. I love the game and all, but the one big complaint I have about the game is that the game looks fairly ugly (and honestly I don't really care about such things). The lighting is almost non existent, textures are laughably bad and it's very sloppily executed (grass floating in the air, things like that). And I'm playing it on max settings on the pc. Even Drakensang, which is a fairly low-budget game looked a lot better than this. Not to mention Risen, which beats the environment-graphics so hard it's not even funny.

Perhaps I'm making too big a point about something that's admittedly not that big an issue, especially given that the game is more character and story driven and not exploration-based like Risen was. Still, I feel this is the first Bioware game where I felt the graphics actually detracted from the game.

One thing I don't get, is when you make a quest your "active quest," shouldn't it tell you where to go, like give you a little pointer or something? I just feel totally lost right now, so I keep wandering around, and accidentally quests.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
One thing I don't get, is when you make a quest your "active quest," shouldn't it tell you where to go, like give you a little pointer or something? I just feel totally lost right now, so I keep wandering around, and accidentally quests.

I think I seen something about quest markers in the options on PC version.

I'm having an issue- everytime I try to use custom tactics, I get in a battle and the characters just stand there. I have the PS3 version-

is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

Lostconfused said:
But Shale and Alister both make for great tanks. So you don't need your main character to be one.

The same is true for almost any type of character you build except for some Mage configurations.

Fredescu

Crisco said:
You can force it on the driver, but the preferred method would be to go to "\Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age\Settings\DragonAge.ini", find the line for Anisotropic Filtering, and change the 0 to a 16. As the other poster said, it really is night and day. The textures look much much sharper.
Holy Shit!

DieH@rd

Banned
How many dragons is in the game? I know of two so far.
One in the temple of Andraste, awesome loot.
One in swamps ;) still lvl-ing up for that chalenge

Is there more? Archdemon maybe?

One of the things that really impresses me is that every random encounter on the map so far has been unique, and i've probably run into 30 of them or so while traveling around.

So far i've run into merchants being attacked, assassins sent to hunt me or various party members I have with me, a mage and his two apprentices trying to hold off a dozen or so darkspawn, bandits holding a section of road, mercenaries traveling around, etc. Each very different.

They seem to have put some effort into those and it is appreciated. I actually look forward to traveling rather than dread having to plow through the exact same 2-3 encounters every time.

DieH@rd said:

spoiler:
Flemeth shapeshifts into a full sized dragon if you try to kill her later in the game.

Swag

JimtotheHum said:
I'm having an issue- everytime I try to use custom tactics, I get in a battle and the characters just stand there. I have the PS3 version-

is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

Do they follow you when the character your controlling is moving or do they still just stand there? If yes then you have your party on hold position, not sure how to change to move freely on the PS3 though
DieH@rd said:

What level were you when you did that boss?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so scared to fuck up my decisions this time so I currently have 15 stat points and three spell points to spare with both my main character (mage) and Alistor :lol

It is going surprisingly good too, I don't feel the urge to even spend them yet.

Zeliard

wayward archer said:
One of the things that really impresses me is that every random encounter on the map so far has been unique, and i've probably run into 30 of them or so while traveling around.

So far i've run into merchants being attacked, assassins sent to hunt me or various party members I have with me, a mage and his two apprentices trying to hold off a dozen or so darkspawn, bandits holding a section of road, mercenaries traveling around, etc. Each very different.

They seem to have put some effort into those and it is appreciated. I actually look forward to traveling rather than dread having to plow through the exact same 2-3 encounters every time.

If anything I don't think there are enough. :p

DieH@rd said:

Every ally quest has some sort of a dungeon related it to it. Not to mention one or two others along the way.

Lostconfused said:
Every ally quest has some sort of a dungeon related it to it. Not to mention one or two others along the way.

Every ally quest has a dungeon? Huh. But I thought Alistairs ally quest was
just to go see his sister. I did that, and it seems that its finished

Also, it seems infuriatingly difficult getting ANYBODY to like me. There a place where I can just buy gifts? Because I seem to have wasted gifts as well. I didnt realize that different people liked different gifts THAT much.

Sebulon3k said:
Do they follow you when the character your controlling is moving or do they still just stand there? If yes then you have your party on hold position, not sure how to change to move freely on the PS3 though

What level were you when you did that boss?
I think I was accidentally deactivating the tactics when I was changing them around.

Doytch

Despite all the shit I've heaped on this game, I do keep playing it like a fiend.

MAJOR SPOILERS for the Morrigan+Flemeth quest that's available after the Mages' Tower:
The Flemeth fight was insanely epic. I bumped up the difficulty to hard after the patch, so I wiped on the setup a couple of times, and then she ate Alistair and by the time I revived him Shale died and I wiped promptly afterwards. But next time was such a great battle. Reminded me of the feeling I got when doing WoW raids with my Rogue. Except now I was doing the healing and tanking also. By far the best little battle/fight I've had this year.

And screens like the following are just incredible. I'm hiding it behind a link in case anyone thinks it's a spoiler, but I really don't think it is. In any case, it's a very vague image of the final boss in the Mages' Tower. http://i38.tinypic.com/28ti1eb.jpg

Also, I got Shale last night, and he's totally awesome. Best character in the game by far, and I've gotten him to +40 approval. :D

Last little note, Archer is waaay better now. I'm level 10, and with Master Archer and Lethality, everything starts slotting together much nicely.

Spoiler for those that have done Morrigan Grimoire quest chain

The Fight with Flemeth was fucking Epic! The death blow sequence was amazing, and I was seriously sweating bullets cause I ran out of pots when she was around 20%, had to rely on rejuvenation for mana. Loot was underwhelming :[
:lol Yes! Seriously it was so awesome and I'm totally geeked out on it. I didn't run out of pots, but it was still great. Shifting around Alistair to get the positioning right, throwing off a desperation stun when he's ..... incapacitated (if you get my drift) just in time for him to drop to the ground with single-digit health and scrambling for heals/pots. Just fantastic.

knitoe

Question about Revival spell. Can't seem to get AI to use it when character dies.

Have it set as:

Ally: Any > Revival.

What am I doing wrong?

Snapshot King said:
Every ally quest has a dungeon? Huh. But I thought Alistairs ally quest was
just to go see his sister. I did that, and it seems that its finished

Also, it seems infuriatingly difficult getting ANYBODY to like me. There a place where I can just buy gifts? Because I seem to have wasted gifts as well. I didnt realize that different people liked different gifts THAT much.
I meant grey warden allies, oh well.

Yeah gifts are a big deal because every character has a specific type of gift they like and some trigger events.

hermit7

Doytch said:
Despite all the shit I've heaped on this game, I do keep playing it like a fiend.

MAJOR SPOILERS for the Morrigan+Flemeth quest that's available after the Mages' Tower:
The Flemeth fight was insanely epic. I bumped up the difficulty to hard after the patch, so I wiped on the setup a couple of times, and then she ate Alistair and by the time I revived him Shale died and I wiped promptly afterwards. But next time was such a great battle. Reminded me of the feeling I got when doing WoW raids with my Rogue. Except now I was doing the healing and tanking also. By far the best little battle/fight I've had this year.

And screens like the following are just incredible. I'm hiding it behind a link in case anyone thinks it's a spoiler, but I really don't think it is. In any case, it's a very vague image of the final boss in the Mages' Tower. http://i38.tinypic.com/28ti1eb.jpg

Also, I got Shale last night, and he's totally awesome. Best character in the game by far, and I've gotten him to +40 approval. :D

Last little note, Archer is waaay better now. I'm level 10, and with Master Archer and Lethality, everything starts slotting together much nicely.

Are there any tricks to the Morrigan quest that you found? When ever I am attempting it I get slaughtered really fast.

mjc

Quick question: I'm an elven mage. I'm planning on having him turn into an arcane warrior so he can use swords and stuff. Should I be putting stats into strength or should I use them elsewhere?

hermit7

Just as a note it is probably possible for you to become a specialization despite missing it. I am fairly certain that all of them can be gotten through books if you really wish, its just a matter of finding where they are located.

An example
I killed Wynne, who provides the Spirit Healer specialization but found the book in the Wonders of Thedas in Denerim

Doytch

hermit7 said:
Are there any tricks to the Morrigan quest that you found? When ever I am attempting it I get slaughtered really fast.
Hint:
Positioning is important. Flemeth uses directional attacks so try to keep your tank on one side and everyone else somewhere to her back if they're melee, or far away if they're ranged.
How I did it:
Preface, I used Alistair, Shale, Wynne and my archer-spec self. Positioning is important in this fight, because of the directional attacks Flemeth uses. If you're facing the swamp, I put Alistair on the left (house side), and Shale behind Flemeth to get flanking bonus. Those two would take all the damage in the fight. Wynne threw heals around along with def buffs to Alistair, and attack buffs to Shale. I sat back with Wynne on the path (below the little step-up so as to avoid Flemeth's attacks) and debuffed Flemeth and fired high dps, poisoned arrows. When Flemeth grabs someone - it should be your tank assuming everything is kosher - stun her to drop him and pray you can get a heal off in time. I barely did.

Top Bottom