• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Mindlog

Doytch said:
How I did it:
When Flemeth grabs someone - it should be your tank assuming everything is kosher - stun her to drop him and pray you can get a heal off in time.

:lol :lol

Exactly what I was going to say. My little warrior guy was making snarky comments about finally facing an enemy that could swallow him whole. Well he got his wish a couple of times.

Doytch

Mindlog said:
:lol :lol

Exactly what I was going to say. My little warrior guy was making snarky comments about finally facing an enemy that could swallow him whole. Well he got his wish a couple of times.
I sort of freaked out when she grabbed him. Shale's abilities were all on cooldown, I knew my archer stuns didn't work on her from last time, and thought I was screwed. I was desperately hoping that the Stone Fist spell from Wynne would do the trick, and it just barely did!

hermit7

Doytch said:
Hint:
Positioning is important. Flemeth uses directional attacks so try to keep your tank on one side and everyone else somewhere to her back if they're melee, or far away if they're ranged.
How I did it:
Preface, I used Alistair, Shale, Wynne and my archer-spec self. Positioning is important in this fight, because of the directional attacks Flemeth uses. If you're facing the swamp, I put Alistair on the left (house side), and Shale behind Flemeth to get flanking bonus. Those two would take all the damage in the fight. Wynne threw heals around along with def buffs to Alistair, and attack buffs to Shale. I sat back with Wynne on the path (below the little step-up so as to avoid Flemeth's attacks) and debuffed Flemeth and fired high dps, poisoned arrows. When Flemeth grabs someone - it should be your tank assuming everything is kosher - stun her to drop him and pray you can get a heal off in time. I barely did.

Interesting, I am using Dog, and I found that a lot of the damage is above him, almost had her beat til I ran out of potions. I am going to try your strategy a few more times.

Are there any places with some quality Dog items? Looking around a bit but the best I found was off of
The dragon before Sacred Ashes

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Such a great looking game when it wants to be it. (lowered the resolution for screenshot purposes)

ArgXeGzzG.png

Acidote

Where the hell is the (morrigan-flemeth related quest)...

Grimoire? I ran the damn tower 3 times, only two chests left to open, not enough picklocking yet, hope it's not there.

Alex

knitoe said:
Question about Revival spell. Can't seem to get AI to use it when character dies.

Have it set as:

Ally: Any > Revival.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you got the priority set right.

Doytch

hermit7 said:
Interesting, I am using Dog, and I found that a lot of the damage is above him, almost had her beat til I ran out of potions. I am going to try your strategy a few more times.

Are there any places with some quality Dog items? Looking around a bit but the best I found was off of
The dragon before Sacred Ashes
I don't use him, but I found a good paint and collar in the Mages' Tower. Is he your tank?

knitoe

Alex said:
Do you got the priority set right.
It's 3rd on list after self potion and healing. I have notice the character casting lower priority attack spell and ignoring it. Also, just did google search and it seems like people are saying you need to manually use the spell. That sux if true.

Acidote said:
Where the hell is the (morrigan-flemeth related quest)...

Grimoire? I ran the damn tower 3 times, only two chests left to open, not enough picklocking yet, hope it's not there.

In the First-Enchanter's office

LiK

goddamn, it's almost impossible to stop playing. the objectives for one sidequest will cross paths with another. like one location had 4 sidequest objectives right near each other when i simply explored them for loot.

this is sooo fuckin addictive. beats out all previous Bioware RPGs for me in terms of content and the Bethesda sidequests don't hold a candle to this game. :D

Truant

corpserot said:
Is this High Dragon serious? Sometimes it kills my whole group in seconds on fucking easy mode.

Took me a few tries, but Cone of Cold is invaluable. Spam it like crazy, and focus on the crits from Shale or Zavran.

DarK SouL

knitoe said:
Redcliff quest-line only way to get Blood Mage unlock? I missed it by asking Circle Tower for help.

Oh shit no! I wanted to be a blood mage! fuck! I will dig trough my saves to see if I can go back :(

hermit7 said:
Are there any tricks to the Morrigan quest that you found? When ever I am attempting it I get slaughtered really fast.

I used my PC mage, Shale, Wynne, and Leliana. I put Shale in stoneheart mode and drew aggro from it. I spaced everyone else around and had them attack from range so that more than one person would never be affected by an attack. No one other than Shale really took much damage, and with my PC and Wynne healing/buffing him, he didn't die. I didn't have much trouble doing it this way on hard (PC version).

corpserot

Truant said:
Took me a few tries, but Cone of Cold is invaluable. Spam it like crazy, and focus on the crits from Shale or Zavran.
I don't even get a chance to do much most of the time, I just get either chain knocked down or one shotted by being eaten. This is just fucking absurd.

Swag

Doytch said:
:lol Yes! Seriously it was so awesome and I'm totally geeked out on it. I didn't run out of pots, but it was still great. Shifting around Alistair to get the positioning right, throwing off a desperation stun when he's ..... incapacitated (if you get my drift) just in time for him to drop to the ground with single-digit health and scrambling for heals/pots. Just fantastic.

I finished it with everyone alive but thats mostly because I had Wynne and myself as both support so I had enough healing to go around. It sucked though because I ended up having no pots at the end :lol , I'm going to try the other dragon once I finish satisfying my HoN itch tonight.

Doytch

Sebulon3k said:
I finished it with everyone alive but thats mostly because I had Wynne and myself as both support so I had enough healing to go around. It sucked though because I ended up having no pots at the end :lol , I'm going to try the other dragon once I finish satisfying my HoN itch tonight.
All I know is that had I been using Morrigan instead of Wynne as my caster as I usually do, it would've been impossible. Group Heal and those buffs saved my ass over and over again. Think I'm gonna give Morrigan the healer spec as her second.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Good lord everywhere I turn I run into a boss that murders me. In the Dalish elf are
Im in the ruins and I beat the dragon, now in the lower level, I just ran into a Liche and his spellcasting, on top of the summons he pulls off, is insane. He holds my melees for like 15 seconds at a time. It's ridiculous :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
When that bitch turned into a dragon, was the first time in a long time playing a videogame where i was felt that "scare/surprise/i'm in trouble".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One thing that's really bothering me, making me go "what the fuck were they thinking" are the loading times. And yes, I'm playing on a ridiculous PC and depending on the place I am when I quick load, it usually takes between 15 to 20 seconds to load.

What the heck is going on? I quick loaded in a small inn, I swear, 5x5 meters and it had to load for 15 seconds. What kind of engine are they using, what exactly is it loading? The entire world of Dragon Age every time you quick load?

Jesus, I can't even imagine how long they are on console. Glad I didn't buy it on PS3.

EDIT: On a side note, it takes less than half a second for me to quick load a save in Crysis. So again, what exactly is it loading?

zero2000

Banned
I am a little late to the party, but I just picked up this game earlier today for PC. Looks and runs beautifully.

But I can't decide for the life of me, if I want to be a Human Noble (warrior) or a Dwarf Noble (warrior).

I played about 30 minutes of each, and I think I am liking the Dwarf story line a little better.

How useful are you finding the DLC codes (both pre-order and in-game)? I'm thinking about selling some on eBay and getting the Warden's Keep with the proceeds.

More specifically referring to the GS pre-order (Feral Band, Memory Ring), Shale, Blood Dragon, and CE content (Bergen's Honour et. al).

dogknight

knitoe said:
Redcliff quest-line only way to get Blood Mage unlock? I missed it by asking Circle Tower for help.

So far as I know, Yes, it is the only way.

Actually,
when you're making the deal with the demon, you don't need to ask specifically for the knowledge regarding Blood Mage. Even if you ask for the pleasure, you will unlock the Blood Mage, as long as you make the deal with her.

Doytch

Lone_Prodigy said:
How useful are you finding the DLC codes (both pre-order and in-game)? I'm thinking about selling some on eBay and getting the Warden's Keep with the proceeds.

More specifically referring to the GS pre-order (Feral Band, Memory Ring), Shale, Blood Dragon, and CE content (Bergen's Honour et. al).
Whatever you do, don't get rid of Shale. Such a fantastic character.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:
One thing that's really bothering me, making me go "what the fuck were they thinking" are the loading times. And yes, I'm playing on a ridiculous PC and depending on the place I am when I quick load, it usually takes between 15 to 20 seconds to load.

What the heck is going on? I quick loaded in a small inn, I swear, 5x5 meters and it had to load for 15 seconds. What kind of engine are they using, what exactly is it loading? The entire world of Dragon Age every time you quick load?

Jesus, I can't even imagine how long they are on console. Glad I didn't buy it on PS3.

EDIT: On a side note, it takes less than half a second for me to quick load a save in Crysis. So again, what exactly is it loading?

I haven't had any problems with long loading times, but I have read previously in this thread that some people are getting abnormally long loading times after playing the game for a few hours. Possible memory leak on some hardware? I don't know, but apparently restarting the game fixes. Pain in the ass all the same, though.

hamchan

Playing on 360. The game after Lothering gets a lot better. The first few hours show a really ugly game with a really easy difficulty on normal. Now, 20 hours later, the world is quite beautiful, with only character models still being ugly.
Also, I always have to save before and after each battle because I'm getting my ass kicked on freaking normal. I believe Bioware when they say the difficulty on PC and Console are the same with the only difference being friendly fire. If you can't get the PC version the console versions are absolutely fine to play and even recommended because you shouldn't miss this game.

Seiken said:

either you're exaggerating or you desperately need to defrag your HDD.

Apparently there's also a memory leak after very long play sessions.

Even Drakensang, which is a fairly low-budget game looked a lot better than this. Not to mention Risen, which beats the environment-graphics so hard it's not even funny.

Drakensang? fucking drakensang? are you taking the piss? Are you people still in the noob areas or something?

I've gotta go sit down...*mumbles* fucking drakensang, good lord.

knitoe

dogknight said:
So far as I know, Yes, it is the only way.

Actually,
when you're making the deal with the demon, you don't need to ask specifically for the knowledge regarding Blood Mage. Even if you ask for the pleasure, you will unlock the Blood Mage, as long as you make the deal with her.
After going to Circle Tower for help, none of characters you could use will make any deal.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
knitoe said:
Question about Revival spell. Can't seem to get AI to use it when character dies.

Have it set as:

Ally: Any > Revival.

What am I doing wrong?

Is it the first slot in you tactics menu?

knitoe

Silent Death said:
Is it the first slot in you tactics menu?

No. It's:

1) Self: Health <25% => Potion

2) Ally: Health < 50% => Heal

3) Ally: Any => Revival

I also notice character casting attack spell in 8th slot while ignoring Revival spell.

Yoshichan

Zefah said:
I haven't had any problems with long loading times, but I have read previously in this thread that some people are getting abnormally long loading times after playing the game for a few hours. Possible memory leak on some hardware? I don't know, but apparently restarting the game fixes. Pain in the ass all the same, though.
fizzelopeguss said:
either you're exaggerating or you desperately need to defrag your HDD.

Apparently there's also a memory leak after very long play sessions.
I can't thank you guys enough, it's been ridiculous having to wait half a minute each time I quick load and that happens a lot...

I restarted the game, now they're god damn instant. Phew, I can't believe I've pretty much wasted 30 minutes just on loading screens now when I could've just simply restarted the game :( Stupid 12 hours sessions.

Silent Death

knitoe said:
No. It's:

1) Self: Health <25% => Potion

2) Ally: Health < 50% => Heal

3) Ally: Any => Revival

I also notice character casting attack spell in 8th slot while ignoring Revival spell.

You need to set 3) to 1). As you have it now if your character is at <25 or any ally is <50 it will continue to do those until you are not at <25 or an ally <50, then he/she will revive. Put revive first will cause the character to revive as soon as someone dies then contiue down the list.

Not sure why it's casting 8 and ignoring 3, what exactly does 8 say.

knitoe

Silent Death said:
You need to set 3) to 1). As you have it now if your character is at <25 or any ally is <50 it will continue to do those until you are not at <25 or an ally <50, then he/she will revive. Put revive first and revive as soon as someone dies then contiue down the list.
I'll try that later, but like I said, the character was casting 8th place spell over 3rd place. And, googling it, people are saying you can only use the spell manually. I take it works for you?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seiken said:
I can't thank you guys enough, it's been ridiculous having to wait half a minute each time I quick load and that happens a lot...

I restarted the game, now they're god damn instant. Phew, I can't believe I've pretty much wasted 30 minutes just on loading screens now when I could've just simply restarted the game :( Stupid 12 hours sessions.

:lol :lol :lol

Man you and your marathons

calder

Lost in Dreams fucking sucks. Had a few main quests in a row that were a bit annoying, and now this. Ah well hope once I get out of this damn tower the game picks up again.

Silent Death

knitoe said:
I'll try that later, but like I said, the character was casting 8th place spell over 3rd place. And, googling it, people are saying you can only use the spell manually. I take it works for you?

Haven't gotten the revive spell nor heard that you need to cast it manually.

just curious, but do members not in the current party level up in line with those you use? Alistair fucking sucks except I think it's cool to keep him around for story reasons. For battles, I'm gonna give Sten a try, but I don't want Alistair to be even more shit if I need him later.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
After you do the 4 army thing how much longer is the game? Sorry just trying to figure if I have enough time to beat it before Tuesday ;) About 30hours in atm.

Fredescu

calder said:
Lost in Dreams fucking sucks.
I just finished it and I don't get the hate. The different forms were fun, and the stat bonuses all over the place was a nice replacement for loot. Is it the graphical effects that makes people hate it?

Doytch

Fredescu said:
I just finished it and I don't get the hate. The different forms were fun, and the stat bonuses all over the place was a nice replacement for loot. Is it the graphical effects that makes people hate it?
Yeah I dunno. I don't get the hate for it either. Reminded me a lot of MotB, also. Maybe if their char was having issues with soloing...but Golem form would've fixed that.

Sins*

Neo Member
Linkzg said:
just curious, but do members not in the current party level up in line with those you use? Alistair fucking sucks except I think it's cool to keep him around for story reasons. For battles, I'm gonna give Sten a try, but I don't want Alistair to be even more shit if I need him later.
yeah they do, i haven't even used sten, and he's level 14. so yes, everyone levels up.

Sins*

Neo Member
I loved it, i'm up to the dwarves now, i've done all the rest of the treaties, and i have to say, the magi was my favorite. being a golem freaking rules!

Top Bottom