• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

nubbe said:
Melee is more fun
2nbzpz6.jpg

Eat steel bitch

Yeah you show him Kratos.

Tokubetsu said:
To beat that fight, I had to micromanage the mage. I did ALL the fucking work and Alistair comes in, takes the epic heroic kill from my fucking rogue.

I love Alistair. My dwarf noble is the tank so Alistair and him conflicted so I made Alistair a dual wielding warrior and he's a mage-killing sumbitch now. He's the guy that always leaps on the ogres and has a stab party.

painey

I was in a Dungeon, massively outnumbered and my party was all off doing their own business, I killed my opponent and pressed A to move on to attack someone else, I got there and it was a big beast my Mage was attacking, and with my first and only Sword attack I backhand decapitated him :lol It was so fluid :D

It seems it can only be sword and dagger or dagger and dagger,

Or anything "swordish" like a mace or an axe...etc.

Maybe there's a skill later on allows you two swords?

Doytch

angelfly said:
Is it possible to dual wield two swords or can you only have a sword/dagger combo?
Pretty sure you can use any main-/one-handed weapon in your main hand, and any one-handed (not main-hand) weapon in your off-hand. That said, none of my usuals dual wield, so I can't say exactly what that entails.

koji

angelfly said:
Is it possible to dual wield two swords or can you only have a sword/dagger combo?

angelfly said:
Thanks, I guess I'll have to work towards that skill. I've only got Dual Weapon Finesse at the moment.

You can dualwield two longswords that's for sure (aslong as you meet the prereq's for wielding a weapon ffcourse).

There are a lot of STR rogues around dualwielding longswords. (think you need 32STR for top tier longswords, so you might want to keep that in mind while lvling up)

Truant

nubbe said:
Whom said Morrigan is hard to romance?
First first camp and shes already down...

She's hard to romance if you're a goodie two-shoes like me. My evil Reaver will rape her with both sword and penis.

codecow

Just
made the deal with the desire demon to get Blood Mage, I'm ready to sacrifice some allies!

I'm really enjoying the game way more than I expected.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went back and took down that Dragon in the mountains. It wasn't very difficult with everyone in my party at lvl 18. Damn Alistair took the killing blow.

DragonAge6.jpg

I'm now 50 hours in and am on the final battle.
I impregnated Morrigan at the end, so I hope something interesting happens as a result. I made sure to make a save game right before that so I could see what happens when I refuse her. That sure seemed like a pretty heavy game changer to be throwing at me right near the end.
It's midnight here so I am going to wait until tomorrow to finish the rest of the game as I assume the final battle areas will take a good hour or two.
I plan on taking out the two generals that Riordan mentioned. Does anyone know if that changes the actual ending?
I really can't wait to finish up and then move on to another origin.

There are so many plot defining choices to be made in this game it is crazy. Just in these last few hours there were a few major choices that would have significantly affected the story. This is seriously the best RPG I have played in years. I might just have to give it my game of the year over Demon's Souls, but the jury is still out on that one... for now.

bjaelke said:
That can't be true. My
epilogue
save says "time played 27:57:22". Are we talking all side quests as well?

WOW really? I'm about to hit the 20 hour mark in a hour or two and I'm still working on the first of the 4 main quests you get after getting access to the map. Though I am indeed doing all side quests I can in the areas before moving on. I definetly am not trying to rush through this game though and I exhaust pretty much all dialog trees and listen to them completely instead of reading the subs and skipping text.

nubbe said:
Whom said Morrigan is hard to romance?
First first camp and shes already down...

Probably because the game starts you off generally with goody good characters and situations. Early on it's easy to get Morrigan highly disapproving of you.

I just grabbed this game yesterday - and after playing around with it for an hour or two, I think I have finally found a good fantasy RPG to hold me over until the next Elder Scrolls comes out.

Woo-Fu

Banned
koji said:
You can dualwield two longswords that's for sure (aslong as you meet the prereq's for wielding a weapon ffcourse).

There are a lot of STR rogues around dualwielding longswords. (think you need 32STR for top tier longswords, so you might want to keep that in mind while lvling up)

Are you sure of that, I played through the game as a dual wield rogue and I don't recall seeing any longsword that was rated either hand/off hand? I really wanted to dual wield the two hand axes you find. :)

dionysus

Yaldog
Fuck, where are the mages in this game? I have 3 worthless rogues, 3 worthless tanks, and 1 mage, Morrigan. She is the only character who can actually affect the outcome of a battle. So where can I get more?

bjaelke

dionysus said:
Fuck, where are the mages in this game? I have 3 worthless rogues, 3 worthless tanks, and 1 mage, Morrigan. She is the only character who can actually affect the outcome of a battle. So where can I get more?
Wynne

LCfiner

dionysus said:

There's a Mage Tower in this game. it's a tower... full of mages.

think about it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
dionysus said:
Circle of Magi. Take the Mages' side, not the templars' and you will get Wynne who starts out with spirit healer specialty.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is it better to make a warrior archer or a rogue archer?

My warrior archer works pretty well and has some punch when enemies close up on him.

But I can't get the dexterity hotfix to work, Ill have to try it some more tonight.

Shouta said:
I followed the instructions but it didn't work. Not sure why unless I'm missing a piece of code.

One suggestion: check download section from menu. You can see this in the list after installation and make sure it is enabled.

Tobor

Woo-Fu said:
Are you sure of that, I played through the game as a dual wield rogue and I don't recall seeing any longsword that was rated either hand/off hand? I really wanted to dual wield the two hand axes you find. :)
Absolutely you can. I'm wielding a longsword and battle axe right now. You have to unlock the master duel wielding talent, and have enough strength for the weapon in question. There is no off hand restriction at that point. Any main hand weapon is equippable in either hand.

koji

Woo-Fu said:

Hehe, don't think you can dualwield 2handers no, single handed full-sized weapons is possible, I'm not sure about axes/hammers and such though. (edit: thx for clearing that up Tobor)

Only read about dualwielding longswords, one of the game designers even recommends using a longsword (or two not sure about that) in mid/endgame.

George Zoeller Senior Technical Designer said:
On a dagger (and believe me, daggers don't really cut it in mid-endgame due to their limited attribute modifier potential), the impact in early game is actually not that much. Not enough to even notice in fact.

Somewhere on page 2 -> http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=703385&forum=135&sp=15

Same guy who's working on the dex fix.

Bit torn atm about my built, I want to play a utility rogue first but it seems I'll have to pass up on all those "uber" dmgfeats etc. Boosting my STR to 32 will cost me a lot of cunning/CONST... It's either a utility rogue, or some crazy damagedealing combo, can't have both, guess that's good design. :)

Stratman

Neo Member
I've yet to get a fatality animation and I'm just under 30 hours in. It's not exclusive to the PC or reliant on the persistent gore is it?

Vinci

Danish
My only problem - that isn't much of a problem, really - is that I keep making new characters. I want to see where everyone starts out; I'm not patient enough to finish one person's game before starting another one. For a non-MMO, this game is taking my altaholic problem and running with it.

Zeliard

Stratman said:
I've yet to get a fatality animation and I'm just under 30 hours in. It's not exclusive to the PC or reliant on the persistent gore is it?

I believe you have to finish the enemy off with a critical hit via melee to get a kill animation (for example, a decapitation). Odds are it's happened a few times after 30 hours, but you didn't happen to see it. It can be tough to catch when there's a lot going on if you don't pause at the right time.

painey

I've just got to do the Mages tower but i've heard bad things.. Installing Baldurs Gate 1 as we speak.. 5 bloody cds, they keep falling out of the slip case :lol

Doytch

koji said:
Hehe, don't think you can dualwield 2handers no, single handed full-sized weapons is possible, I'm not sure about axes/hammers and such though. (edit: thx for clearing that up Tobor)
Booo, there's a feat in D&D that lets you wield a two-hand weapon in one hand. I think it was called Monkey Grip?

bjaelke

Zeliard said:
I believe you have to finish the enemy off with a critical hit via melee to get a kill animation (for example, a decapitation). Odds are it's happened a few times after 30 hours, but you didn't happen to see it. It can be tough to catch when there's a lot going on if you don't pause at the right time.
Doesn't the game slow down as it happens or is it just my console troubling with the animations?

Vinci

Danish
Zeliard said:

One of my new characters was a human rogue. During his origin story, he nearly got one of my other characters killed - he was doing prolonged kill animations on virtually everyone. At the same time, it was pretty awesome.

dolemite said:
How does it compare to Demon's Souls? I'm tempted to grab it but still doubtful.

Completely different type of game.

DS is much more of an action game. This is a story driven WRPG.

Having played them both, I'd say we're lucky to have 2 of the best RPGs released in years in 2009.

Banned
Fuuuuck Yeah. Finally got an awesome kill.
My warrior jumped on the dragon's head, impaled him wind waker style, then rode him down to the ground, plus finishes it by jumping off, FULL 360 Fucking SPIN in midair and gives the dragon one last slash across it's face.
oh my god. This game is Awesome

Zzoram

Red Mercury said:
So I picked this game up last week, for the 360 (I really need to get around to building a new PC), and I've really enjoyed my first 7-8 hours in the game.

However, I've read on a here a few times now that going with a bow & arrow/archery is kind of gimped. This is the specliazation I was going for with my character, and I have found it to be a little lacking in power or usefullness - I just assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

My question though - is this 'archery' under powered thing a fact? Or is it just people like me not quite getting the gameplay yet?

I'm tempted to start over and go straight dual wield rogue, or maybe warrior just to keep it relatively simple. (I'm saving a mage playthrough till I do build that better PC and can use more tactics than the 360 seems to allow.)

The next patch might be boosting the power of bows and daggers so maybe you can stick with it.

dolemite said:
How does it compare to Demon's Souls? I'm tempted to grab it but still doubtful.

I don't even...you're trying to compare this game to Demon's Souls. It's...god, they're not even close to being the same, it is impossible to compare them.

Dragon Age is a CRPG, Demon's Souls is, uh, a skill based action game with rpg elements.

Top Bottom