• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram

commish said:
Just starting out. Anything in particular I should know? Something you wish you knew when you started? I believe I'm a city elf. Plan on dual-wielding and stabbing stuff.

Specialize. Splitting talents/skills only makes you weak.

Zzoram

Question:

My first character I got to Lothering, bought an item that extended my inventory by 10, then stopped playing. I made a new character with a different origin, got to Lothering, and the item that extends inventory by 10 isn't for sale. Is this a bug?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
lorddarkflare said:
That is the one i played, and while there is an improvement, it is still rough compared to Bioware's work.

And i suppose you are correct with the fact that Witcher was less cliched(i still hate Tolkien-esque fantasy not penned by Tolkien), but the presentation really hurts it.

Not to mention, whatever you may think of the plot, the writing is extremely uneven, whereas DA is solid throughout (so far).

The problem with The Witchers writing is due to the translation work i believe. DA doesnt have that issue to navigate around. i wonder how well the writing is for the Polish version of DA? :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Playing now and I had to press pause real quick to say this: Zefren, or whatever his name is, is completely out of control. He does WAY more damage than everyone. It's straight up comical.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gaf helps me decide.

Finished the human noble campaign. What origin should I start as next ?

Dwarf or Elf ? (keep in mind i'm more likely going to play as a warrior class).

chandoog said:
Gaf helps me decide.

All the origins are worth playing, go from there.

chandoog said:
Gaf helps me decide.

I really like the dwarf commoner storyline, you start off as a hired thug for a criminal lord. Be sure to tattoo your face for best effect. Completely different feel from the human noble story.

bigswords

Captain N said:
My wife watches me play this game and tells me what I should say to everything. She has me talk to everyone and seems to know everything that should be said and I'm not sure what to think of it.

You could try the following:

1) Go away and let me play the game! (Intimate)
2) Come and sex me up so that I can play the game in peace, while you sleep. (Strength)
3) Dear, could I have sometime with the game alone please. (persuade)
4) By the gods woman shut up and make me a sandwich!

Son of Godzilla said:
I bypassed my missing level up points issue. Just loaded a save quite a bit back and went somewhere else to level :/. No fucking idea what causes it.
Whoo I figured it out!.

Some quests give you a skill point. If you level while this happens, you only get the skill point.

Zzoram

Zzoram said:
Question:

My first character I got to Lothering, bought an item that extended my inventory by 10, then stopped playing. I made a new character with a different origin, got to Lothering, and the item that extends inventory by 10 isn't for sale. Is this a bug?

bump for next page

This issue is really important. I'm actually finding myself needing that extra 10 space.

Craaaaaaap!

I patched my game, and now i get this error:

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect dragon age.

I even updated VC++, but to no avail. Can someone help?

hermit7

Has anyone gotten random skills after completing a quest? Usually they are green in color? Is there any place n which you can look at these or are they not persistent?

I'm amazed by how well this game captures relationships. I've gone from the lust filled relationship with a depressing anti-love bitch to wanting a more lasting relationship with a religious shoe freak only to be caught by jealously on both ends. And just like in real life, I find solace in my elf boy toy whom I flirt with before ravaging him. Now if I could only have a three-way with my golem and fellow Warden.

I can't stop playing this. 15 hrs in and I've completed only six origins story with one character up to Tower of Ishal battle. This is gonna be my GOTY with other game(s).

lorddarkflare said:
Craaaaaaap!

I patched my game, and now i get this error:

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect dragon age.

I even updated VC++, but to no avail. Can someone help?

Are you starting game from launcher? If yes, try this game exe directly "C:\Program Files\Dragon Age\bin_ship\daorigins.exe" until you find proper fix. This way you can continue playing if it works.

syllogism

Wow, the storm of the century combo is amazing and it has its own animation

spell might + blizzard + tempest. If you use two mages for it, only the mage casting the second spell has to have spell might

syllogism said:
Wow, the storm of the century combo is amazing and it has its own animation

spell might + blizzard + tempest. If you use two mages for it, only the mage casting the second spell has to have spell might
Wait, combos? What devilry is this?

I think my game glitched and I'm stuck:

I ended the Dalish/Warewolf part. I'm left in the lair with the white wolf and the door I used to get back is for some reason locked. the other doors are locked as well. I can't talk to the wolf and so there's nothing to do. wtf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 47 hours in and have only discovered 3 spell combos. I haven't been very inventive, though. I will do a lot more experimenting on my mage playthrough. I really can't wait to finish up my current game and dig into the rest of the origin stories.

Ploid 3.0

Ignis Fatuus said:
Wait, combos? What devilry is this?

I did a paralyze aoe with two spells. First I paralyze someone with the paralyze glyph, then I put the glyph of repulsion on top of them and it spreads the paralyze out to everyone around. Big area too, and friendly fire.

I wonder if there's a list of the combos.

mr stroke

how many hours is it taking to finish this game?

I am 20 hours in now and want to finish this tomorrow(would like to jump into MW2)
is it really 80-100 hours, or if I jam through it can I finish it in 30?

laserbeam

Banned
hermit7 said:
Has anyone gotten random skills after completing a quest? Usually they are green in color? Is there any place n which you can look at these or are they not persistent?

The green skills at the bottom of the characters sheet are gained by relationship with main character as far as I can tell. Like Morrigan is at +100 and has all 4 bonus magic skills.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mr stroke said:
how many hours is it taking to finish this game?

I am 20 hours in now and want to finish this tomorrow(would like to jump into MW2)
is it really 80-100 hours, or if I jam through it can I finish it in 30?

I think the quickest person in this thread finished it in like 42 hours?

I am currently 47 hours in and while I am nearing the end I probably have a good 5 to 10 hours left of things to do.

is the game similar to KOTOR at all? I saw a couple screens and like a vid and it kind of looked like witcher a bit, is this accurate or no?

Zzoram

Domcorleone said:
is the game similar to KOTOR at all? I saw a couple screens and like a vid and it kind of looked like witcher a bit, is this accurate or no?

It's more like KOTOR, since that was a Bioware game and it shares similar mechanics.

bjaelke

Zefah said:
I think the quickest person in this thread finished it in like 42 hours?

I am currently 47 hours in and while I am nearing the end I probably have a good 5 to 10 hours left of things to do.
That can't be true. My
epilogue
save says "time played 27:57:22". Are we talking all side quests as well?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Naeblish said:
The combo frozen enemy -> stone fist never worked for me, i tried them lots of time with morrigan and wynne but enemies never shattered or were instantly killed.

I use it all of the time on white con mages and archers. I usually use the petrify spell with Wynne first and then use stone fist since you cannot consistently freeze people unless you use the cone spell. The seemingly random freeze effect on winter's grasp doesn't last nearly long enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A quick playthrough is entirely feasible especially considering that a good amount of time is spent in conversations that you can skip through (although I have no idea why you would on your first play through). There is also a ton of side quest content that you don't need to do. I suppose if all you did is turn the difficulty down to the easiest it can be, do the main story quests only and skip through most of the dialogue you could get a pretty impressive speed run. I wouldn't be surprised if you could finish it in under 20 hours.

So I picked this game up last week, for the 360 (I really need to get around to building a new PC), and I've really enjoyed my first 7-8 hours in the game.

However, I've read on a here a few times now that going with a bow & arrow/archery is kind of gimped. This is the specliazation I was going for with my character, and I have found it to be a little lacking in power or usefullness - I just assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

My question though - is this 'archery' under powered thing a fact? Or is it just people like me not quite getting the gameplay yet?

I'm tempted to start over and go straight dual wield rogue, or maybe warrior just to keep it relatively simple. (I'm saving a mage playthrough till I do build that better PC and can use more tactics than the 360 seems to allow.)

Tokubetsu

So I went with the mage tower first and I'm kinda regretting it. The fade is so fucking boring and it just keeps on going. Fuck. Is this fucking Zelda?

bjaelke

Zefah said:
A quick playthrough is entirely feasible especially considering that a good amount of time is spent in conversations that you can skip through (although I have no idea why you would on your first play through). There is also a ton of side quest content that you don't need to do. I suppose if all you did is turn the difficulty down to the easiest it can be, do the main story quests only and skip through most of the dialogue you could get a pretty impressive speed run. I wouldn't be surprised if you could finish it in under 20 hours.
Completed it on normal difficulty. Anything above that would kill me because I had 3 mages in my group (friendly fire and AoE). I did read all the conversations and did a few side quests. Didn't read any codexes/codexs(plural?) however but will definitely give that a go on my second play through.

laserbeam

Banned
I suspect this game may be giving us a good look at how Bioware is doing The Old Republic MMO as far as unique storylines etc. I really hope so becuse this game and the Witcher are the best games of the genre in a long time.

Ventrue

Red Mercury said:
My question though - is this 'archery' under powered thing a fact? Or is it just people like me not quite getting the gameplay yet?
It is fact.

bjaelke said:
That can't be true. My
epilogue
save says "time played 27:57:22". Are we talking all side quests as well?
I'm normally pretty quick but it took me 38 hours without really doing any sidequests. And that actually translates into 46 hours logged by Steam (reloads, etc).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
Whats with the DLC armor looking so Low-Res compared to every other armor in the game?

I gotta say I am not too big of a fan of the Blood Dragon Armor's appearance. The stats are way too good, though. I totally agree with Evilore that the armor is unbalancing. The items you can get in relation to the Warden's Keep DLC seem a good deal better than anything else you get in the game. I think I might just ignore all of them for my next playthrough.

Truant

Ventrue said:
It is fact.

I'm normally pretty quick but it took me 38 hours without really doing any sidequests. And that actually translates into 46 hours logged by Steam (reloads, etc).

Yeah, I'm 35 hours in at 25%. That guy must have rushed through.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tiamatsword22 said:
How are you checking percent complete? I can't seem to find it.

It at the top of the list when you check the "Heroic Accomplishments" in your character profile. Don't expect to have a really high percentage. I think a good 20 - 30% of the total percentage is represented by the various origin stories. I am near the end of the game at 47 hours and I think I still don't have 40% completed. I have only done one origin story so far, though.

Fredescu

Tokubetsu said:
So I went with the mage tower first and I'm kinda regretting it. The fade is so fucking boring and it just keeps on going. Fuck. Is this fucking Zelda?
I'm wondering if everyone that found the fade boring got the Burning Man last or something. I mean
immune to fire + fireball spell
is just mayhem. So much fun.

Zefah said:
It at the top of the list when you check the "Heroic Accomplishments" in your character profile. Don't expect to have a really high percentage. I think a good 20 - 30% of the total percentage is represented by the various origin stories. I am near the end of the game at 47 hours and I think I still don't have 40% completed. I have only done one origin story so far, though.

I think the % is just a product of what achievements you have unlocked and the areas you have explored.

Ventrue said:
It is fact.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply. Now to decide if I should just reroll, or now focus the remaining skill points I'd get into a dual wield setup...

Probably just reroll, maybe do a different origin this time. Thankfully I'm not that far in, (just finished the Ostagar 'beacon' mission), so probably best to just reroll.

Top Bottom