• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Shouta

So anyone get that storage mod working? I followed the instructions that was given on the site but it didn't seem to work. Any tips?

koji

Red Mercury said:
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply. Now to decide if I should just reroll, or now focus the remaining skill points I'd get into a dual wield setup...

Probably just reroll, maybe do a different origin this time. Thankfully I'm not that far in, (just finished the Ostagar 'beacon' mission), so probably best to just reroll.

There's some dodgy stuff going on with DEX/ranged weapons atm, might want to check out the following links. But you're playing the console version right? Hope it gets patched in in that case, for now it's an experimental hotfix for PC.

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=704869&forum=135&sp=15

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

Ranged weapons currently do suboptimal damage. During development, the targeted damage for them was roughly equivalent to a sword with better armor penetration, but changes made to other variables over the last few months of development have chipped off a bit of damage for bows.

So no, it's not your fault and I'ld advise a reroll and steer clear of anything "bow-related".

I'm running with the dexterity hotfix on the PC and am very satisfied with longbow damage-it's not over the top but in endurance fights the constant damage is a real plus.

Archer as good as a mage? Not even close, mages are easily the instrument of decision in combat in Dragon Age. But hey, someone has to pick the chests, even if each one of them has nothing but Mass Defect-grade terrible itemization.

koji

Fragamemnon said:
Archer as good as a mage? Not even close, mages are easily the instrument of decision in combat in Dragon Age. But hey, someone has to pick the chests, even if each one of them has nothing but Mass Defect-grade terrible itemization.

:D

My main is a utility rogue (dex/daggers) the loot thusfar in all those locked chests has been awful indeed. Still glad I can open most of them though... First went with the Archery route myself but rerolled early on.

Acidote

Shouta said:
So anyone get that storage mod working? I followed the instructions that was given on the site but it didn't seem to work. Any tips?

I did it and was fairly simple. Just did step by step what the mod page told me. Unzipped the compressed file in the dragon age folder inside "Documents". Then I copyed the content of the xml and pasted it inside the other xml. I'm at work now so I can't be very precise.

gillty

Banned
Truant said:
Yeah, I'm 35 hours in at 25%. That guy must have rushed through.
did a few sidequest here and there and over 5 days completed human noble.
35n7vrs.png

koji said:
There's some dodgy stuff going on with DEX/ranged weapons atm, might want to check out the following links. But you're playing the console version right? Hope it gets patched in in that case, for now it's an experimental hotfix for PC.

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=704869&forum=135&sp=15

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

So no, it's not your fault and I'ld advise a reroll and steer clear of anything "bow-related".

Glad to hear it isn't me. Thanks for the links, and the advice. Rerolling it is.

Also a little bummed to hear the the loot in all those locked chests is not very exciting, that was another reason for rolling the rogue in the first place. Guess I'll go warrior this time around and keep it simple.

I'll just take these issues (patching/loot balance/class balance) as further encouragement to build a new PC. I attempted to run DA on my current rig, since it was borderline on the specs, but it just wasn't cutting it. Having caugth a glimpse, though, of what I am missing going from PC to 360 is painfull. Just the handfull of battles I went through on PC were much more engaging.

Shouta

Acidote said:
I did it and was fairly simple. Just did step by step what the mod page told me. Unzipped the compressed file in the dragon age folder inside "Documents". Then I copyed the content of the xml and pasted it inside the other xml. I'm at work now so I can't be very precise.

I followed the instructions but it didn't work. Not sure why unless I'm missing a piece of code.

Aedile

Am I just weak or is the
battle to escape Arl Howe's estate
nigh-unwinnable? The boss was critting my tank (who usually takes single digit damage from melee hits) in the 120s. Yeah, I know the other option is available, but now that they gimped Normal to Easy-like levels, I hate to lose a fight.

Also have to say that I've warmed to this game more and more as I've kept playing. Really enjoyed the politicking of the dwarf noble origin story, as well as the Denerim section of the main plot. What I appreciate most is the almost BG2-like unnecessary attention to detail: the game's responsiveness toward even the small decisions that you make, the dialogue they recorded even for bit characters you might only meet once (and could easily overlook), the way the game rewards you for thoroughly examining your surroundings.

Lostconfused said:
I am going to repeat my self again. I wish they would explain the damn rule set for combat. Its so damn vague.

It seems pretty damn straightforward as RPGs go, especially if you have played any MMOG this decade. The tank tanks. He wears the heaviest armor available to him, he goes first, draws the threat, and gets beat on. The rogue stands behind mobs and DPSes. Rogues are single-target DPS in all these games, plus if you level Stealth to 3 you can re-stealth every 10 seconds for a guaranteed backstab critical hit. Once you get Momentum and stick a manastone on your rogue's weapons which have chance to stun on hit, you can basically use him to stunlock the biggest, ugliest boss mob in the room to keep him from tearing your tank apart. Alternatively, the rogue has a bow but he's still single-target DPS, just from a distance. The mage is a nuker, he drops huge damage from a distance and also is in charge of CC, his job is to keep the mob of mobs locked down while bursting them down one at a time, again this helps the tank out since he's not getting hit nearly as much. This game really favors mages, they get a bunch of crazy CCs, they have numerous skills which do a huge frontloaded nuke and then also add a DoT, and they also get AoE spells which do huge damage to multiple targets (but you got to bring the mage in close to melee range, so the tank needs to be ready when the mage pulls the aggro). In this game mages are also healers, there's no separate healer class, but the healer just, uh, heals. Because mages have so much more utility than warriors and rogues in this game, and because your party is 4 people, I would think that the optimal party composition in this game is always 1 warrior and 3 mages or 1 warrior, 1 rogue, and 2 mages. You don't need more than 1 tank if your healing is sufficient, and you don't need 2 rogues unless your MC is a rogue and he can't open chests, and even then I would say fuck the chests and go with 2 mages anyways. 2 mages means healing duties are split, very nice for the bosses who have huge knockdown AoEs, plus double the CC and double the crazy spell damage.

That's all you need to know really, now go out there and kill things!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i finally got the chance to unlock the Ranger spec.. the thing is though, its way out of my price range. Is money easy to acquire or are there things i should be doing to fill my pockets aside from Stealing? ive made Leilana my robbing character so in town i help myself but when it comes to battle stuff, Dijonaise slips back into the roster :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aedile said:
Am I just weak or is the
battle to escape Arl Howe's estate
nigh-unwinnable? The boss was critting my tank (who usually takes single digit damage from melee hits) in the 120s. Yeah, I know the other option is available, but now that they gimped Normal to Easy-like levels, I hate to lose a fight.

Also have to say that I've warmed to this game more and more as I've kept playing. Really enjoyed the politicking of the dwarf noble origin story, as well as the Denerim section of the main plot. What I appreciate most is the almost BG2-like unnecessary attention to detail: the game's responsiveness toward even the small decisions that you make, the dialogue they recorded even for bit characters you might only meet once (and could easily overlook), the way the game rewards you for thoroughly examining your surroundings.

It was tough, but I kind of cheesed a victory out of it. Immediately after the battle began
I took my whole party and retreated further into the estate. I ran into a nearby room with a bunch of bookshelves and was lucky to only have the boss and a couple of henchmen chase me in. She was a total badass even on normal though. She would kill my caster types in one hit and almost destroy Alistair just as easily. Near the end of the fight a lucky critical felled my main guy (and main tank) and then it was down to just Alistair and Morrigan. Luckily I pulled through (just barely) and was removed from combat so everyone was able to regenerate to full before I went and took out the army of archers at the entrance.

I got a nice fatality against the bitch which I made sure to pause and screenshot. Damn that was satisfying!

DragonAge5.jpg

bigswords said:
You could try the following:

1) Go away and let me play the game! (Intimate)
2) Come and sex me up so that I can play the game in peace, while you sleep. (Strength)
3) Dear, could I have sometime with the game alone please. (persuade)
4) By the gods woman shut up and make me a sandwich!

Item obtained: Sandwich...???

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown Soldier said:
It seems pretty damn straightforward as RPGs go, especially if you have played any MMOG this decade. The tank tanks. He wears the heaviest armor available to him, he goes first, draws the threat, and gets beat on. The rogue stands behind mobs and DPSes. Rogues are single-target DPS in all these games, plus if you level Stealth to 3 you can re-stealth every 10 seconds for a guaranteed backstab critical hit. Once you get Momentum and stick a manastone on your rogue's weapons which have chance to stun on hit, you can basically use him to stunlock the biggest, ugliest boss mob in the room to keep him from tearing your tank apart. Alternatively, the rogue has a bow but he's still single-target DPS, just from a distance. The mage is a nuker, he drops huge damage from a distance and also is in charge of CC, his job is to keep the mob of mobs locked down while bursting them down one at a time, again this helps the tank out since he's not getting hit nearly as much. In this game mages are also healers, there's no separate healer class, but the healer just, uh, heals. :lol

That's all you need to know really, now go out there and kill things!

I think he is talking about more of an actual numbers type of thing. For example, the descriptions are a bit vague. Multiple spells and ability use words like "significant" but there is no way for the player to tell exactly what that means. Furthermore the same significant and mean different numerical values. It would be nice if we could get a combat log and some more concrete numbers to see what is going on behind the scenes. A lot of the fun in these types of game can come from analyzing combat and seeing what is and isn't effective.

Zefah said:
I think he is talking about more of an actual numbers type of thing. For example, the descriptions are a bit vague. Multiple spells and ability use words like "significant" but there is no way for the player to tell exactly what that means. Furthermore the same significant and mean different numerical values. It would be nice if we could get a combat log and some more concrete numbers to see what is going on behind the scenes. A lot of the fun in these types of game can come from analyzing combat and seeing what is and isn't effective.

Bioware publicly stated during DAO's development that they purposely wanted to have no combat log. If you want to play a spreadsheet, you'll have to go back to Bioware's games which were based on D&D rules, this game uses a custom ruleset and Bioware doesn't feel like telling us the specifics of how it works. Anyways, people have been min/maxing builds just fine already even with the exact mechanics hidden, if you're just looking for the best way to slaughter everything, just follow build guides, it's no different from Diablo 2 in that regard since you can't see a combat log in that game either.

Unknown Soldier said:
Bioware publicly stated during DAO's development that they purposely wanted to have no combat log. If you want to play a spreadsheet, you'll have to go back to Bioware's games which were based on D&D rules, this game uses a custom ruleset and Bioware doesn't feel like telling us the specifics of how it works. Anyways, people have been min/maxing builds just fine already even with the exact mechanics hidden, if you're just looking for the best way to slaughter everything, just follow build guides, it's no different from Diablo 2 in that regard since you can't see a combat log in that game either.

I am sure people will figure it out soon anyway, especially when mod support starts to appear.

Mr YuYu

Captain N said:
My wife watches me play this game and tells me what I should say to everything. She has me talk to everyone and seems to know everything that should be said and I'm not sure what to think of it.

wanna trade with my wife?

The minute she comes home from work following scene happens:

Wife: Turn your console of please
Me: 10 minutes babe, then i can save (or whatever)

1 minute later

wife: U saved yet? U taking the piss rite? How can u play games? waste of time...
Me: 5 more mins babe

2 mins later

wife: God i hate games! Turn it of!
me: Jesus FUCK, OK! *turns console off*

/rant ;-)

BeeDog

FINALLY I've finished up the Haven. Became a bit of a drag with the gazillions of regular enemies, but the later parts were very fun.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I did a paralyze aoe with two spells. First I paralyze someone with the paralyze glyph, then I put the glyph of repulsion on top of them and it spreads the paralyze out to everyone around. Big area too, and friendly fire.

I wonder if there's a list of the combos.

There is. One combo is
sleep+nightmare
. Another is
frost cone(Morrigan)+Stonefist(Wynn)
]

Also, I just got the
Superman
reference. :lol

Masta_Killah said:
There is. One combo is
sleep+nightmare
. Another is
frost cone(Morrigan)+Stonefist(Wynn)
]

Also, I just got the
Superman
reference. :lol

Another one is Vulnerability hex + life Drain, or whatever they are called.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown Soldier said:

People are going to figure it out anyway, I don't see why they don't just include the option for it. Personally I don't mind much. The game is a ton of fun and I enjoy the combat a lot, but it would be cool to be able to browse through a combat window and see exactly what happened numerically.

Naeblish

Zefah said:
People are going to figure it out anyway, I don't see why they don't just include the option for it. Personally I don't mind much. The game is a ton of fun and I enjoy the combat a lot, but it would be cool to be able to browse through a combat window and see exactly what happened numerically.
I don't know, i kinda like that damage and what not is vague, you have to get a feeling of talents to determine if they are usefull/do decent damage.
When everything can be compared with exact numbers, you quickly get cookie cutter builds and a list of the most usefull talents.

LCfiner

Mr YuYu said:

1 minute later

wife: U saved yet? U taking the piss rite? How can u play games? waste of time...

2 mins later

/rant ;-)

just pause the damn thing. :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Naeblish said:
I don't know, i kinda like that damage and what not is vague, you have to get a feeling of talents to determine if they are usefull/do decent damage.
When everything can be compared with exact numbers, you quickly get cookie cutter builds and a list of the most usefull talents.

Its easy though to turn those statistics into part of the gameplay. Some games like D&D and Might & Magic have learning precisely that as part of the skills that you learn. A side-benefit of Spellcraft, for example, is you can tell what the enemy is casting.. or if you have the proper training you can see exactly how much hp an enemy has remaining.

As far as most useful talent/spell.. im of the idea that certain stuff should always be more useful depending on the situation (Friendly Fire and secondary effects like freezing, etc). There should not be a one spell is the "best" under every circumstance, you are right about that. Cookie cutter builds are boring and is a symptom of broken design. If something is totally useless as to never be desired thats a flaw.

i can get by without knowing the exact damage ranges.. the thing that bothers me about not having a combat log is sometimes the pace of battle is too quick and its difficult to keep track of what worked and what didnt and the why behind them. Its not a huge issue to be without one but id rather have it than not.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Zefah said:
It was tough, but I kind of cheesed a victory out of it. Immediately after the battle began
I took my whole party and retreated further into the estate. I ran into a nearby room with a bunch of bookshelves and was lucky to only have the boss and a couple of henchmen chase me in. She was a total badass even on normal though. She would kill my caster types in one hit and almost destroy Alistair just as easily. Near the end of the fight a lucky critical felled my main guy (and main tank) and then it was down to just Alistair and Morrigan. Luckily I pulled through (just barely) and was removed from combat so everyone was able to regenerate to full before I went and took out the army of archers at the entrance.

I can't believe I survived that fight one try and no KO's on my team. I kept spamming dual weapon wide swing to hit as many as possible. I took out the knight chick first, then the mage by the main entrance and then the bow and arrow types to the left of him. I was amazed when they were all dead and nobody in my party was dead. I had Leilana (with bow) Wynn and Allistair. Not usually one of my stronger parties versus huge mobs but they made it. Before the Howe estate I was surprised that
I ran into some Antivan crows on the way, and Zevran, who wasn't in my party at the time, showed up to betray me. We killed them on and he is just dead as can be, no cut scene or anything. On my next playthrough, I'll just kill him after the initial meeting

nubbe

Beat the game with my archer and started a dual wielding warrior

The game is sooooo much easier with melee combat than ranged. One rip through foes like they are wet paper.

Tokubetsu

Jesus christ I have a problem. Decided to start the Circle of Magi shit at like 12 this morning. It is now 7:35 AM but I'm done. I can't play this game in shorter bursts. I'm going to die.

nubbe said:

The game is sooooo much easier with melee combat than ranged. One rip through foes like they are wet paper.

Not if you're a rogue/assassin :lol What's hilarious too is while the hotfix makes me more viable, it also makes the game that much harder =|

TheFallen

Tokubetsu said:
Jesus christ I have a problem. Decided to start the Circle of Magi shit at like 12 this morning. It is now 7:35 AM but I'm done. I can't play this game in shorter bursts. I'm going to die.
I had the same problem, but probably worse. I was doing the (early spoilers)
Redcliffe content with the boy becoming posessed. Spent a few hours doing that only to be informed I should go to the Circle for help exorcising him, so I headed over there and then of course had to clean up the situation there. I wouldn't stop until I resolved the little boy's situation. Bastard game took advantage of me. Must've played from 8pm to 9am without realizing it until after. :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mr YuYu said:

1 minute later

2 mins later

/rant ;-)
wow...

I could never have married a woman who doesn't understand that a few times a year there are some games that will take over my life and she might have to deal with it a bit..

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Blackace said:
wow...

I could never have married a woman who doesn't understand that a few times a year there are some games that will take over my life and she might have to deal with it a bit..

WORD.. I've been able to integrate games into my wife's life. Heck she even took over my first 360 because of the music games. I had to go out and buy another console just so I could play. :lol

I'm so glad there is enough mutual respect in my relationship that both of us understand that sometimes individual time is needed.

Tokubetsu

nubbe said:
Melee is more fun
2nbzpz6.jpg

Eat steel bitch

To beat that fight, I had to micromanage the mage. I did ALL the fucking work and Alistair comes in, takes the epic heroic kill from my fucking rogue.

Mr YuYu

Blackace said:
wow...

She has come a long way allready. Lets say that scene happened almost every time a few years ago and now only 6/10 times ;-)

This is why we need a second TV. So she can watch her girly shows on hers and i can play my manly games on mine. (Still trying to convince her!)

nubbe said:

I do more damage with melee and I've invested a lot more in to archery. :|

bengraven

Blackace said:
wow...

You should talk to my fiancee. She doesn't get this at all.

I only have 4 days to back out of this wedding. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hmm, the Dwarf commoner's origin story is ridiculously short, I finished it in less than 45 minutes.

The collectors edition exclusive gear you get at the party camp, where is it? Or is it simply exclusive items you can buy at the camp and not given to you?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Mr YuYu said:
This is why we need a second TV. So she can watch her girly shows on hers and i can play my manly games on mine. (Still trying to convince her!)

I would say hey hun, I'm tired of getting yelled at and I'm sure your tired of yelling at me. Lets go this weekend and pickup a small television for me so you don't have to be annoyed by my games. Provided you have your bills in order and can afford it I don't see how it could be a problem. Sorry not trying to derail or get to far off track. But my man you need some help.

To get back on track I never got an answer to the question I had earlier. Are the only use of jewels for selling. I'm starting to run out of inventory room. I'm such a packrat though I would hate to get rid of the jewels only to find out I'll need them for something later.

Also I noticed some of you tried out the storage container mod. How many of you have gotten it working properly? I'd rather wait a little while before installing mods to make sure they are stable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
truly101 said:
I can't believe I survived that fight one try and no KO's on my team. I kept spamming dual weapon wide swing to hit as many as possible. I took out the knight chick first, then the mage by the main entrance and then the bow and arrow types to the left of him. I was amazed when they were all dead and nobody in my party was dead. I had Leilana (with bow) Wynn and Allistair. Not usually one of my stronger parties versus huge mobs but they made it. Before the Howe estate I was surprised that
I ran into some Antivan crows on the way, and Zevran, who wasn't in my party at the time, showed up to betray me. We killed them on and he is just dead as can be, no cut scene or anything. On my next playthrough, I'll just kill him after the initial meeting

Regarding the spoiler before the Howe estate:
I had uhh.. had "relations" with Zevran and had a very high approval rating with him. When the Antivan crows showed up he stood with me and we killed them all.
Interesting how relationships can really affect the story in that way.

RPGCrazied

glad my 2nd char is a city elf rogue.

maybe now I can open these chests in game since;

I didn't get to recruit leeanne or whatever her name is, and Zevran betrayed me.. so I have no rogues. :(

Ceebs

RbBrdMan said:
Also I noticed some of you tried out the storage container mod. How many of you have gotten it working properly? I'd rather wait a little while before installing mods to make sure they are stable.
It works flawlessly for me.

bengraven

Blackace said:
wow...

You should talk to my fiancee. She doesn't get this at all.

I only have 4 days to back out of this wedding. :lol

Hey does anyone know the specific differences between High and Very High settings on PC? It seems to make no framerate difference, both are a little chuggy, and don't look that different.. just maybe some draw distance stuff.

RPGCrazied

if I ever get a gf, thats the first thing she will know. I play video games, sometimes for hours at a time.

if she doesn't like it, I move on. :p

Top Bottom