• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Tobor

gregor7777 said:
Completely different type of game.

DS is much more of an action game. This is a story driven WRPG.

Having played them both, I'd say we're lucky to have 2 of the best RPGs released in years in 2009.

Agreed.

Vinci

Danish
Oh, FWIW, fighting an Arcane Horror whilst still low in levels (sub-10) is a very, very bad idea. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Zzoram

angelfly said:
Is it possible to dual wield two swords or can you only have a sword/dagger combo?

There is a 4th tier Dual Wield skill that lets you use two large weapons at once. Before that, you can only use 1 large weapon in your main hand and a dagger in your offhand.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is there any reason why my dual wield warrior on 2nd playthrough is getting shatters on frozen enemies whereas my dual wield rogue never did?

Vinci said:
Oh, FWIW, fighting an Arcane Horror whilst still low in levels (sub-10) is a very, very bad idea. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

if you crowd control it (force field, etc.) at the start of a fight, kill off its friends, and spread your party out and take it down when it comes out of the crowd control, it isn't that bad. The area damage spells that those things like to cook off at your group can be beat with timely healing provided that they are only hitting one person.

I have gone through the opening with both a mage and a warrior and now I am conflicted as to which I should stick with. I like the Mage's ability to use magic, but am a little more interested in the warrior's story. Also, with the warrior, I am a little concerned that the skills will be less interesting and make battle more repetetive. What are the pros and cons with each class in terms of story progression, coolness of abilities, and general badasseness. While I know many people will just say "choose whichever you want", but I have extremely limited gaming time nowadays (like 2-3 hours a week), and I am trying to figure out which path I should follow.

Zzoram

Woo-Fu said:
Is there any reason why my dual wield warrior on 2nd playthrough is getting shatters on frozen enemies whereas my dual wield rogue never did?

Shatters are supposed to happen on critical hits. Maybe your Warrior is getting more of those?

the circle of magi arc is really telling the players to stop playing the game, as the whole DA:O experience is only an illusion and does not bring true happiness. playing the game is like staying in the fade, we must resist the temptation and not be controlled by the game!

bjaelke

Working_Stiff said:
I have gone through the opening with both a mage and a warrior and now I am conflicted as to which I should stick with. I like the Mage's ability to use magic, but am a little more interested in the warrior's story. Also, with the warrior, I am a little concerned that the skills will be less interesting and make battle more repetetive. What are the pros and cons with each class in terms of story progression, coolness of abilities, and general badasseness. While I know many people will just say "choose whichever you want", but I have extremely limited gaming time nowadays (like 2-3 hours a week), and I am trying to figure out which path I should follow.
You can just take control of one of the casters and let the computer do the repetitive warrior stuff. Define a few tactics and you should be okay.

Mindlog

*conversational bark* :lol

Late/Near End-Game Denerim quest.
I let Morrigan and my dog rescue me from prison. I let the dog do all the talking :lol Ammused the hell out of me.

It's going to take a really long time to find all the endings isn't it.

Real late game questions/help.
How do you unjam, the ballista? How much do you have to donate to the troops until their gear is upgraded? I went into the final battle with 2 tanks 1tank/dps and my healer. Had an easy time getting to the last boss, but he's a pita to take down.

bjaelke said:
You can just take control of one of the casters and let the computer do the repetitive warrior stuff. Define a few tactics and you should be okay. Lazy ass worthless elf bows barely scratch him. The only army that does anything seems to be dwarves and that's only because they tank enough for me to use the ballista. My mages pretty much all died on the first encounter. Didn't really know what I was doing with them at the time.

^^^

Your character doesn't have to be the one you control the most. I know I had to control my healer mage more than anyone.

Durante

Working_Stiff said:
I have gone through the opening with both a mage and a warrior and now I am conflicted as to which I should stick with.
I think the implementation of magic in this game is one of the most interesting ones in a long time. Between the various spell effects, combinations and area of effect choices there are many tactical opportunities. Oh, and it's pretty damn powerful as well.

Disclaimer: I play "pure" magic users whenever feasible in an RPG, so I'm probably biased. But still, I feel confident to say that magic in DA:O is awesome.

This thread is confusing me, on console is dual dagger rogue broken or something???

I am having no trouble.

Are people thar are playing rogue using swords? Doesn't that mean I have to boost strength instead of dexterity?

RPGCrazied

Just beat the game in 37hours, with sidequests(not all, but I did alot)

Sucks you can't play afterwards, i got the flemmeth quest, and I can't go to the area.

Originally Posted by George Zoeller Senior Technical Designer said:
On a dagger (and believe me, daggers don't really cut it in mid-endgame due to their limited attribute modifier potential), the impact in early game is actually not that much. Not enough to even notice in fact.

Ack :( I hate hearing stuff like this in an RPG. I read the manual and try (since I don't want to read too much strategy stuff as it can tend to be kinda spoilery) to pick a build that seems interesting and fun to play. I'm currently 6 or so hours in on a duel dagger rogue build with the goal to try to go backstap / crit happy, but now I find that there is both a bug with dagger damage calculations and that a lead designer on the game considers daggers to be pretty useless end game.

It annoys me a little bit that the designers would imply a certain useful build in via the skills and manual, but that I'm going to probably end up either having wasted lots of early skill or end up with a slightly dead weight character later in the game. I guess since I'm playing on normal I should just plow ahead and not worry about it too much. Kinda unsure as to if I should start sinking more points into STR now so that I can ditch daggers for other weapons in the late game.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
RPGCrazied said:
Just beat the game in 37hours, with sidequests(not all, but I did alot)

Sucks you can't play afterwards, i got the flemmeth quest, and I can't go to the area.

Damn that does suck. I haven't beaten the game yet but I always hate it when I cant continue on in an RPG after the main quest.

RPGCrazied

nope, you can roam around your camp and DLC areas after you beat it

but so far, we only have shale stuff an wardens keep. I wish you could still play after you beat it.. would love to do more stuff.. ah well

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
RPGCrazied said:
nope, you can roam around your camp and DLC areas after you beat it

but so far, we only have shale stuff an wardens keep. I wish you could still play after you beat it.. would love to do more stuff.. ah well

So you could potentially still play mods with your main after completing the quest that I can live with.

Durante said:
I think the implementation of magic in this game is one of the most interesting ones in a long time. Between the various spell effects, combinations and area of effect choices there are many tactical opportunities. Oh, and it's pretty damn powerful as well.

Disclaimer: I play "pure" magic users whenever feasible in an RPG, so I'm probably biased. But still, I feel confident to say that magic in DA:O is awesome.

I have seen better caster mechanics in other games(Guild Wars for one). The thing i like the most about this game is the friendly fire.

RPGCrazied

RbBrdMan said:
So you could potentially still play mods with your main after completing the quest that I can live with.

i guess for pc users.. half this thread? lol, sadly my pc sux.. so i guess 360 people gotta wait for dlc from bioware.

if ME is anything to go by, we won't be gettin much more

Zeliard said:
Playing as a mage in Dragon Age is definitely very awesome.
Until they
throw you in a ring with a bunch of dwarves who are inherently magic resistant

The last fight that is. Had a tough time since the two companions they give you are pretty much useless. I wonder what it is that drives RPG developers to always isolate your main char in an arena fight.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
My character has turned into a Blue Marble (on the social website). :lol

The weird thing is that my achievements are still updating. Everything else is fixed in time though (I'm level 17 now, not 6).

Such a fantastic game. I'm about 60 hours in now and I've seen 67% of the world. And that's with only one origin story. So much replay value. Best bang for the buck this year by far.

I have no idea how they're going to fit in DLC however, given what I've heard about the way the game ends.

Also have no idea how Mass Effect 2 is ever going to live up to the sheer amount of fun that is Dragon Age. I don't see how the voice work and dialogue options are going to compare. As much as I prefer sci-fi in general over fantasy, the world and lore in DA is so rich and the writing so good (the dialogue especially), unless ME2's universe expands by a factor of 10, I don't see it matching what Bioware has accomplished with DA.

Zzoram

Labombadog said:
No, I didnt enjoy it much. But I did LOVE Mass Effect.

Dragon Age is probably more like KOTOR/Baldur's Gate than Mass Effect. The dialogue animations are clearly from Mass Effect, but your main character doesn't speak like Mass Effect, but is silent like almost every other RPG (imagine Fallout 3 dialogue trees with Mass Effect camera angles and animations).

Zzoram

_tetsuo_ said:
I still haven't gotten her. All I can get is a kiss :-/

I can't even ask for that, I'm at Warm +26 but have no dialogue options to improve it. I just finished Lothering and went to camp for the first time. Maybe you guys are giving her gifts because I thought I said everything right.

Billias

So, I just got this game and after a few hours it seems nice.

Do you have any advise for someone who's just gotten into this game?
Like in Planescape:Torment where boosting wisdom gives more choices in dialog and makes the games more enjoyable, things like that.

Zzoram

Billias said:
So, I just got this game and after a few hours it seems nice.

Do you have any advise for someone who's just gotten into this game?
Like in Planescape:Torment where boosting wisdom gives more choices in dialog and makes the games more enjoyable, things like that.

Strength and Cunning can both add dialogue choices. Strength ones tend to be intimidations or beating people up. Cunning ones tend to be getting bigger rewards for quests.

Working_Stiff said:

I played through as a warrior and wished I'd rolled a mage, as I ended up controlling my party's mage about 85% of the time in combat. I also would have preferred to define my (mage) skills from the beginning, rather than be stuck with the horrible shapeshifter sub-class....

Einbroch

Banned
I'm really tempted to pick this up for the PS3, as my PC is an absolute piece of garbage.

I've been looking through the past 4-5 pages, but I haven't come across the answer to my question...

Is the PS3 version really gimped when compared to the PC version? I know about the differences in camera, graphics, tactical gameplay, etc, but in the end is the PS3 version worth it or should I just pass?

Zeliard

I wonder exactly how much impact strength has on intimidation, and cunning on persuasion. Both of those stats are very low for my mage, around 11 or 12 or so, but I get (and have used) plenty of intimidate and persuade options. I have "improved coercion", which is the second skill on the coercion tree.

Actually, I just remembered I recently raised my cunning to 14 and have "expert coercion" now, but that was recent, and prior to that I was still getting plenty of those dialogue options.

Zeliard said:
I wonder exactly how much impact strength has on intimidation, and cunning on persuasion. Both of those stats are very low for my mage, around 11 or 12 or so, but I get (and have used) plenty of intimidate and persuade options. I have "improved coercion", which is the second skill on the coercion tree.

Well the higher your coersion is, the more options open up. These newer options require higher cunning.

So, just wait until you get further into the game.

Also, has a character editor been released yet?

Einbroch said:
I'm really tempted to pick this up for the PS3, as my PC is an absolute piece of garbage.

I've been looking through the past 4-5 pages, but I haven't come across the answer to my question...

Is the PS3 version really gimped when compared to the PC version? I know about the differences in camera, graphics, tactical gameplay, etc, but in the end is the PS3 version worth it or should I just pass?

If Ps3 is your only option, then you should go for it. The story and dialogue(which are what matter the most) are all intact.

Zzoram

Einbroch said:

Console versions aren't gimped. They don't have isometric view, but that's because that view favours mouse control and may be more graphically demanding. It's fun to play in 3rd person even on the PC.

As for graphics, 360 version has worse textures than PS3, PS3 version has worse framerate than 360, but both are apparently fine to play. If people could enjoy Mass Effect at the 360 framerate (I did), they can enjoy Dragon Age Origins on the PS3.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:

Actually, I just remembered I recently raised my cunning to 14 and have "expert coercion" now, but that was recent, and prior to that I was still getting plenty of those dialogue options.

Sometimes you get persuasion options but can fail if your Cunning or Coercion skill is too low. For example, getting caught in a lie instead of successfully pulling it off.

Zeliard

lorddarkflare said:
Well the higher your coersion is, the more options open up. These newer options require higher cunning.

So, just wait until you get further into the game.

Yeah, but does having a higher cunning modify the frequency that you see those dialogue options, or does it only matter to unlock higher coercion skills? And how does strength/intimidate come into play with the coercion skills, when those skills only require certain levels of cunning to unlock?

Zzoram said:
Sometimes you get persuasion options but can fail if your Cunning or Coercion skill is too low. For example, getting caught in a lie instead of successfully pulling it off.

Ah, okay, I haven't failed one of those yet. Wasn't sure that you could. I figured the option only pops up if it has a 100% success rate.

Zeliard said:
Yeah, but does having a higher cunning modify the frequency that you see those dialogue options, or does it only matter to unlock higher coercion skills? And how does strength/intimidate come into play with the coercion skills, when those skills only require certain levels of cunning to unlock?

Ah, okay, I haven't failed one of those yet. Wasn't sure that you could. I figured the option only pops up if it has a 100% success rate.

Coersion makes the options pop up. Cunning determines success.

DieH@rd

Banned
One question. I have +8 fire damage on my badass sword. What happens if i turn on "Frost Weapons" spell with Morrigan? Do they stack?

Also, if i activate another "Fire Weapons" spell, will that stack also?

Scribble

I just started this game. Danish Elf origin. I think I've found my next Kotor, although I'm disappointed that
I can't actually investigate Tamlyn's disappearance like the game suggests

Zzoram

DieH@rd said:
One question. I have +8 fire damage on my badass sword. What happens if i turn on "Frost Weapons" spell with Morrigan? Do they stack?

Also, if i activate another "Fire Weapons" spell, will that stack also?

I'd like to know this as well.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Zzoram said:
I'd like to know this as well.
I believe they do. If you just attack a mob with one person and watch the damage numbers you can see this. Just use a rune that isn't the same element as whatever buff your mage casts and you can watch the numbers. You'll see physical damage and then you see the small +numbers for your runes/elemental buff.

AIRic

Is Dragon Age : Origins would be good introduction for me in the RPG (with a party) category. I've been enjoying RPG and MMO for while, but always incertain about ones where I have to controls more than 1 character. Is it accessible to someone new to this style of RPG or only for the hardcore who played BG?

Zzoram

AIRic said:
Is Dragon Age : Origins would be good introduction for me in the RPG (with a party) category. I've been enjoying RPG and MMO for while, but always incertain about ones where I have to controls more than 1 character. Is it accessible to someone new to this style of RPG or only for the hardcore who played BG?

If you have played some RPGs and MMOs, this game shouldn't be too hard to learn. If you set the Tactics reasonably well for every character, the ones you aren't directly controlling should handle themselves fine.

Top Bottom