• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Dead

well not really...yet
hteng said:
is this game grind friendly? I like to grind my characters every now and then to make it easier
No. Theres a distinct lack of places to grind really. Once you empty out an area, thats it.

hteng

Banned
Dead said:
No. Theres a distinct lack of places to grind really. Once you empty out an area, thats it.

damn really? is there a world map or dungeon where enemy respawns infinitely?

and whats the final level when you beat the game?

hteng said:
is this game grind friendly? I like to grind my characters every now and then to make it easier
you can grind, but it's troublesome plus you don't really have to grind at all. enemies do not respawn after you kill them. but i find it to be perfect for loot whores, if that's your thing.

Ponti

Lafiel said:
But speaking of impossible encounters - did anyone find the reaver in redcliffe castle to be 'unbelievably cheap?' i had to turn the difficulty down to easy to beat him.
If go straight for the gates at the area and open them then Ser Perth and his Knights make that part so much easier. Could not get passed it on Nightmare until I opened the gate, ended up steamrolling the undead after that.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I ran in to a bug where all the human Females faces' textures have turned black in my game, is there a fix for this? Restarted, didn't fix anything.

Fredescu

bathala said:
I was wondering if I should beef up my mages' spell before doing this.

I tend to use two mages. (healer and offense)
It's an endurance fight, so anything to beef your healing will help. As will mana pots.

Ponti said:
If go straight for the gates at the area and open them then Ser Perth and his Knights make that part so much easier. Could not get passed it on Nightmare until I opened the gate, ended up steamrolling the undead after that.

:eek:

roMonster

Quick question: How many times has the game crashed on you guys?

The game has crashed on me like 5-6 times (I'm up to the ice cave). Hasn't really effected my game save or anything--it just makes a ear screeching sound and shuts down (sometimes I have to do a hard restart).

I have an 4890 with my drivers up to date. Bought the regular edition off steam.

Dynoro

Its crashed once for me on an Nvidia card; but the card was running at 97C (even with fans on 95%) just before it died so I think that may have been the cause :lol

Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Redcliffe, this shit is impossible.

http://i38.tinypic.com/fp5ylw.jpg[IMG]

I might cut my DA session short tonight.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you recruit everyone. Also, make sure the soldiers moral is high(go to the tavern). Look around the houses by the docks and locate the "barrels." Those will be a big help at the first fight. During the 2nd fight, stay near the archer....

Also, make sure you stock up on lots of potions. Health and mana potions will be a godsend during the 2nd fight. Protip with Morrigan's frost cone- use that for CC and don't break it. Have everyone focus fire on 1 enemy at a time(unless you have a 2nd tank//offtank/dps).

Ceebs

Rabbit Lord said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I ran in to a bug where all the human Females faces' textures have turned black in my game, is there a fix for this? Restarted, didn't fix anything.
This happened to me, but it was only Sten. It fixed itself, but I think I restarted my PC at some point.

DieH@rd

Banned
Zero chashes.
Sometimes after a lot playing load times become kinda long [confirmed memory leak by devs]. Game restart fixes that.

Zzoram

I've played 27 hours with no crashes. That's split across 6 characters though, so my furthest one is only ~8.5 hours in.

Truant

DieH@rd said:
Zero chashes.
Sometimes after a lot playing load times become kinda long [confirmed memory leak by devs]. Game restart fixes that.

The game has a pretty big memory leak, Bioware are fixing it in the next patch.

Acidote

Mine crashed once while saving. Got scared as shit, since it was the quick save I had been carrying for hours. Anyways, it worked so I lost nothing.

Yoboman

roMonster said:
Quick question: How many times has the game crashed on you guys?

The game has crashed on me like 5-6 times (I'm up to the ice cave). Hasn't really effected my game save or anything--it just makes a ear screeching sound and shuts down (sometimes I have to do a hard restart).

I have an 4890 with my drivers up to date. Bought the regular edition off steam.
Yeah that's what is happening to me, same location

All the DLC and authentication works great if you bought the game from Steam. :smug:

I've crashed the game a few times after long play sessions, I've gotten to the point where when I notice loads take forever, I immediately save my game, quit it, and relaunch it to solve the memory leak issue.

bjaelke

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya I think the Ruined Temple is bugged for me. The key I picked up isn't working on that main door :-/
I found two keys in the temple. One of them, Rusty Bronze Key (?), was of no use to me. It was still in my inventory after I completed the game.

mr stroke

DieH@rd said:
Zero chashes.

if I am playing for a couple hours the load times become insane. Load in between deaths were getting to be 3-5 min
really really shitty

JayDubya

Banned
Crusing... okay... on Nightmare, with a few exceptions.

Exception the First: Holy hell, does Sten ever go through red potions. I think I need Shale if only from the perspective of adventurer economics; comparatively, with the Blood Armor plate, my protagonist usually has to tank everything on screen for the tiny damage to add up to a worrisome rate.

This wouldn't be a big deal if shops restocked elfroot or red pots, but they don't seem to do so, and zones don't replenish elfroot either... Also, I wish there were a means of rejecting or cancelling quests - I believe I accepted some fool quest where you hand one of the silent quest givers lots of pots, and it cashes in all completed quests at the same time. :mad:

Exception the Second: Holy hell @ Morrigan's side quest, and I almost wish I hadn't given her the book at all since I wasn't planning to romance her.

I suppose the solution is simple enough - my characters need more HP, thicker weapons, fire resistance gear, and more talents. That anti-knockdown ability on the Shield tree would be... a little helpful I think.

I'm guessing and hoping she doesn't level scale strongly, and even if she does, it's just not going to work without much better gear on my guys.

Fredescu

JayDubya said:
This wouldn't be a big deal if shops restocked elfroot or red pots, but they don't seem to do so, and zones don't replenish elfroot either...
The Dalish Elves sell unlimited Elfroot. Found that one out today.

JayDubya

Banned
Fredescu said:

!

Haven may need to wait, then.

Trouble is, at L12 I really need to start getting the specializations I want; not interested in Templar, don't have Champion or Berserker yet, so I need to finish Haven PDQ. Don't have the coin to burn on specialization books, either, though I am certainly buying the bonus skill and bonus talent books when I find them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heh, found Kangax (Gaxkang in this), was sooo nervous when I started that fight but man what a disappointment. How could you have him in the game and be so damn easy.

Fredescu said:

And you can get unlimited Lyrium Powder from the mage tower.

I cheesed Morrigan's side quest using all range and outhealing the ranged DPS, this was on nightmare at level 9 or so. Took two healers and since you can't bring Morrigan, it means you basically have to have a mage PC to do it that way.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
JayDubya said:
!

Haven may need to wait, then.

Trouble is, at L12 I really need to start getting the specializations I want; not interested in Templar, don't have Champion or Berserker yet, so I need to finish Haven PDQ. Don't have the coin to burn on specialization books, either, though I am certainly buying the bonus skill and bonus talent books when I find them.

Well its metagaming but i think im going to save, buy the 22 gold books, unlock the spec then reload :lol The price is much too unreasonable.

Scribble

Okay, so I'm only a few hours into the game, and I'm playing an evil racist Dalish archer elf that will eventually redeem himself a la (ASOIAF spoilers)
Jaime
. I'm being as anti-human and ruthless as I can, but it feels that by doing so, I am missing out on plenty of sidequests. Will this happen for the rest of the game?

Spoilers for the end of the Darlish quest:

Does that mean I'm screwed if I slaughtered all the namby-pamby elves in regards to elfroot? I should be rewarded for doing the world such a grand favour not punished :(

Spirit of Jazz said:
Spoilers for the end of the Darlish quest:

Does that mean I'm screwed if I slaughtered all the namby-pamby elves in regards to elfroot? I should be rewarded for doing the world such a grand favour not punished :(

Probably. The elves are the only ones to sell infinite elfroots in the game(visited all the major cities/towns already). You could go to every town/city and stock up on all the potions. Then go to the mage tower to recruit your healer. Once you have Wynn, the game becomes a helluva lot easier(assuming you don't have a healer).

Ariexv

Wow amazing, after 7 hours into my 2nd playthrough the game glitches @ the
Redfliffe invasion, no guy ever shows up to signal the waves coming from the lake, I've searched te entire village and there's no mobs that just aren't pathing correctly, and for a real kicker it auto saved immediately after glitching
Game just went from Game of the Generation to worthless waste of $60.

markot

Banned
Ariexv said:
Redfliffe invasion, no guy ever shows up to signal the waves coming from the lake, I've searched te entire village and there's no mobs that just aren't pathing correctly, and for a real kicker it auto saved immediately after glitching
Check near the barricades at the templar bit where they all come from, I had one undead up there that stopped the dude coming for help.

Ariexv

markot said:
Check near the barricades at the templar bit where they all come from, I had one undead up there that stopped the dude coming for help.
I have multiple times, I've checked the entire own w/ party w/out party had them on aggressive paused every 2 steps to see enemies clearer everything.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ariexv said:
I have multiple times, I've checked the entire own w/ party w/out party had them on aggressive paused every 2 steps to see enemies clearer everything.
On the other side of the barricade too?

syllogism

Sinatar said:
Heh, found Kangax (Gaxkang in this), was sooo nervous when I started that fight but man what a disappointment. How could you have him in the game and be so damn easy.
Single enemy fights aren't very interesting in this (including dragons, though I do like how the high dragon moves around constantly), but otherwise spell diversity aside I'd say the combat is better than in BG2. Overall the game isn't as good, but it does do some things better.

Ariexv

Number 2 said:
On the other side of the barricade too?
Yes, been up to where you normally leave redcliffe from, where you go to the castle from everywhere in-between and all along the docks down below.

Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Redcliffe, this shit is impossible.

I might cut my DA session short tonight.

Remember 2 things, your militia also have ranged attacks, and the taunt skill is AOE, so have them twatting alistair or you while the militia use arrow knowdowns.

Ceebs

Ariexv said:
The game creates multiple auto-save slots for you. Just go back to one of those. Not the greatest solution, but better than quiting or restarting.

Jinjo

Ariexv said:
Yes, been up to where you normally leave redcliffe from, where you go to the castle from everywhere in-between and all along the docks down below.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. After walking about for half an hour or so the only option I saw was reloading an earlier save. (thankfully I saved inbetween the battle)

Top Bottom