• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

jabipun

To be more specific, I'm on 360.

But ultimately - I'm screwed. When the servers do go back up - I have the chance to redeem my code again using the gamestop pre-order. But I already used it when I got the game Nov. 3.

It won't let me do it again.

I'd even be willing to save the hassle and just pay for the DLC ALL OVER FUCKING AGAIN - but those dumbfucks have this shit as a gamestop EXCLUSIVE.

The fuck is this? Fuck you game industry. So ultimately I get penalized for pre-ordering. They are just begging me to trade this shit back in and play modern warefare 2 like the rest of the world.

PS: I checked my 360 HDD - and oddly enough, the Feral Wolf Charm DLC is not there. The blood armor DLC is, as is stone prisoner and grey warden.

And yes, I am 900% positive I didn't delete it. Why would I access the system settings, memory, game, find Dragons age, hunt for specifically download pack wolf charm 2 - click it, press A to delete, press A to confirm delete. And I know, I didn't do that.

epmode

Zefah said:
Come to think of it, if you have a saved game with DLC activated on it, you pretty much have to logged in to the Bioware Social Network and have your DLC authenticated each time you boot up the game to be able to load your game, don't you?
You can play your game without logging in but all DLC will disappear until you're back online. Not sure what happens if try to load a savegame from a DLC area without being logged in...

It's pretty much the worst possible way to handle DLC and it's going to be awesome when the authentication servers go offline in the future. Modern games suck.

Zefah said:
I think I'm going to just
kill her and barge my way into the tower
on my next character which I plan on turning into an evil berserker dwarf.

I did this. It was glorious. I also took similar situations whenever they showed up, so that by the end my party was...a little lacking, shall we say.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Danne-Danger said:
I'm playing logged out and am having no issues with the DLC. When I was logged in I needed to activate the authentication service each time I started it up.

So yeah, the social network stuff is nothing but a huge pile of shit. To put it lightly.

If you load your save while logged out, all of your DLC is still accessable? If so, then I guess it isn't that big of a problem. Still annoying, though.

epmode said:
You can play your game without logging in but all DLC will disappear until you're back online. Not sure what happens if your save is in a DLC area you first launch the game.

It's pretty much the worst possible way to handle DLC and it's going to be awesome when the authentication servers go offline in the future. Modern games suck.
Doesn't happen to me. I've walked between several DLC areas while logged out, nothing changes in my equipment or anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Revelations said:
Can you still bed her? Morrigan is proving diffcult to get in the sack.

No on first part, and wow really ? on the second ..

i sacked her in the fist time you're at party camp with my male dwarf, real easy.

She doesn't swing for women btw, keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone confirm this business with offline DLC? I will give it a try later when I get home if no one else does.

Ventrue said:
PC version doesn't let you load save games with 'DLC enabled' if you're not logged in.
Again, that's exactly what I've been doing. No problems whatsoever. Playing the Steam version.

I guess I'm just blessed?

*Though I have been playing without having the auth service enabled (since it won't start automatically for me), maybe that's what screws it for other people?

Revelations said:
Can you still bed her? Morrigan is proving diffcult to get in the sack.
i think there are only 4 characters you can bed. and wynne is hardly a milf, i don't see the appeal :lol
morrigan's already @ 97 approval with me. my character's a female tho.

epmode

Danne-Danger said:
Doesn't happen to me. I've walked between several DLC areas while logged out, nothing changes in my equipment or anything.
Hm, I just tested now and all of my DLC was available even when launching the game with no saved password.

This is strange because I've definitely seen a message warning me that my DLC items will not be in my inventory until I log into the server. The specific items are even listed in the error message. Happened to me about three times so far.

Maybe something changed?

adamsapple

Twilight Princess said:

Morrigon doesn't swing for women, and she stops sleeping with you altogether if you go over 90 percent with her. She's more into flings and makes that pretty clear the first time you bed her, getting her into "love" state freaks her out.

Leliana on the other hand is a real tough cookie, especially with the female, since you apparently need to choose specific options in the dialogue tree after her personal quest for her to enter romance state with you. As a male however, she's proving real easy as i'm just at Redcliffe for the first time in my second play through and i've already got her in romance state and 90 affection.

Twilight Princess said:
i think there are only 4 characters you can bed. and wynne is hardly a milf, i don't see the appeal :lol

My main is a fem so I'll be got damned. Maybe I get in with lily though? Gonna try that.

adamsapple

Zzoram said:
What gifts work on Morrigan? Our first time to camp she's only +26 with me.

Shiny things. Amulets, pendants, necklaces, mirrors, lockets, brooches etc.

Her personal quest requires a special item though,
The Black Grimoire
is found in the
mage's circle tower
and starts off her personal quest.

jabipun

Apparently I'm not the only with this problem:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703093&forum=135

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragonage/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52080166&pid=950918

Apparently the solution is that the packs are considered one file that you have rights towards, yet two distinct files in terms of memory/downloading/taking up room.

So you have to delete the other that's still on your HDD, then redownload it again but this time download the one that you were missing. AND THEN, download the second one. Then, boot up your game - go back into the menu to the DLC portions, and download the DLC. Which kicks you out, log back in - go back to the menu of the DLC portion, and download the other DLC, which then - kicks you out aga--oh fuck it.

Bioware just fire the borderline retard you had managing the DLC infrastructure.

PS: Oh wait, all that shit won't work because xbox live won't connect to the EA servers - wow. Fucking last time I get DLC from bioware/EA.

Ventrue

Danne-Danger said:
Again, that's exactly what I've been doing. No problems whatsoever. Playing the Steam version.
Oh, I assumed you had the console version. Huh.

I've definitely gotten pop-ups when I press resume that "This game save contains premium content and can only be played when logged in," which means I have to press okay and wait a few seconds for the log in to finish.

adamsapple

Oh god dammit Sten is such an asshole :lol

Guys, just don't bring Sten to Redcliffe the first time you go there, that ass looses points for every freaking conversation there no matter what.

Having been disappointed by MW2's SP, I think I'm going to have to pick this up sooner than later...

Silly question, but is it fun? I mean, games can be great and technical marvels, but not be all that fun - is this fun?

adamsapple

hypostatic said:
Silly question, but is it fun? I mean, games can be great and technical marvels, but not be all that fun - is this fun?

I'm playing the 360 version, which is hardly a technical marvel, and i'm having a great time. Finished it once as a human and jumped back as a dwarf immediately afterwards, and I never replay RPG's instantly. That speaks something as far as I go.

Yeah, it's great fun.

Zzoram

hypostatic said:
Having been disappointed by MW2's SP, I think I'm going to have to pick this up sooner than later...

This game is fun for me. If you liked KOTOR you'll love this.

Mindlog

Going to start an elf mage, but I'm having a hard time deciding how to go with it.

Primal Healer? I see some fun with frost/nature fist or whatever it's called.

Replace morrigan's role?

damnit all
Wynne was probably the most important character my first playthrough.

Jenga

Banned
Is there any way to increases the texture filtering?

You know, the anisotropic texture filtering.

I know the instruction to increase it is somewhere buried in this thread...

Mindlog said:
Going to start an elf mage, but I'm having a hard time deciding how to go with it.

Primal Healer? I see some fun with frost/nature fist or whatever it's called.

Replace morrigan's role?

damnit all
Wynne was probably the most important character my first playthrough.

Im currently using my main char mage to do heals and mage control with mana drains or whatever its called, while morrigan does heals and crowd control via sleep, nightmare, amss paralysis, etc.

Leave the frost spells for Morrigan, since she starts with points in it. Try to keep your characters skill sets complementary instead of overlapping (except heals...you can never have to many heals). I went down fire spells for my main to burn people while morrigan freezes them solid and the tank bashes that shit into the ground.

Mindlog

Pyke Presco said:
Im currently using my main char mage to do heals and mage control with mana drains or whatever its called, while morrigan does heals and crowd control via sleep, nightmare, amss paralysis, etc.

Leave the frost spells for Morrigan, since she starts with points in it. Try to keep your characters skill sets complementary instead of overlapping (except heals...you can never have to many heals)

Yeah I was thinking of trying out Wynne/My char as what Morr used to be/lelliana and a tank

probably sten because he was... left behind during my first playthrough

Snuggler said:
Damn, I need to get back into this game ASAP. I got distracted by Demon's Souls but it's time I get back on my grizzy. I just got my Shale DLC to work and got that big fucker in my party, he's awesome but as silly as it may sound I get a little annoyed by his loud footsteps. "thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud" ....

What gets me is his unsteady speed. When he's behind you he sprints to catch up then slows down repeatedly. When Shale is in my party I'll often switch to controlling him as lead. The steady pace is a lot less grating to me.

Tokubetsu

Fuck Redcliffe, this shit is impossible.

fp5ylw.jpg

I might cut my DA session short tonight.

Tokubetsu said:

http://i38.tinypic.com/fp5ylw.jpg

Hehe. :)

Throw some heals at the townsfolk now and then, and don't run into the middle. Standing at the side (I stood on the pathway leading into the battle) while picking the zombies off one by one (spread out over all allies instead of just your party tank) worked well for me.

Also AoEs that incapacitate enemies (like earthquake) is a good way to make their numbers more manageable. Just don't all of them out since that limits your melee capabilities.

Aedile

Jenga said:
Is there any way to increases the texture filtering?

You know, the anisotropic texture filtering.

I know the instruction to increase it is somewhere buried in this thread...

Documents>Bioware>Dragon Age>Settings>DragonAge.ini

Change AnisotropicFilteringLevel to whatever you like.

Saterium

Tokubetsu said:

Let the towns folk tank and take the majority of the damage. Sure they'll all die, but you won't =P

You can also loot them and sell their bad armor for a few coins

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tokubetsu said:

fp5ylw.jpg

Far from impossible, i did that on my second attempt on hard. I didn't even have 'wynee' whose group heal would've been really useful.
But speaking of impossible encounters - did anyone find the reaver in redcliffe castle to be 'unbelievably cheap?' i had to turn the difficulty down to easy to beat him.

Xevren

Reavers in general are really damn hard for me. That and a couple bosses are really the only enemies that have me think about dropping down a difficulty at times.

Fredescu

Lafiel said:
But speaking of impossible encounters - did anyone find the reaver in redcliffe castle to be 'unbelievably cheap?' i had to turn the difficulty down to easy to beat him.
Yeah, I did Redcliffe at night on my first try, but I must have died to that reaver a dozen times.

bounchfx

Lafiel said:
Far from impossible, i did that on my second attempt on hard. I didn't even have 'wynee' whose group heal would've been really useful.

the reaver was a joke on normal compared to the encounter that you did on your second attempt on hard :p

Fredescu

bounchfx said:
the reaver was a joke on normal compared to the encounter that you did on your second attempt on hard :p
In the latter encounter the enemies are simple. They have no special abilities to speak of and it's really just a matter of wearing it down through mana and threat management. If you can stay consistant you'll win. It's pretty much the same way with the dragons, the three that I have come across I killed them first try too.

The reaver does big damage and has a lot of HP. He has archers up the steps and off the side and is surrounded by fast melee. Tactically it's a much tougher fight. It's as if they took one of those Denerim alley encounters and wacked a big boss into the middle of it all. It took me a while to come up with a strategy and then a handful of tries to pull it off. I think it would be close to the hardest fight in the game for me. That could be because I did it fairly early on and was poorly geared etc. The reavers in the forest were a lot easier in comparison.

I even accidently made a video of that pull, because for the longest time I didn't realise that F9 is the default video capture hotkey in fraps. I ended up with gigs and gigs of videos after that fight, mostly of me just standing around.

Fredescu

bathala said:
so far the only impossible "boss" I fought is from Morrigan's story.
If you're talking about
Flemeth
it's as easy as a tank at the front, tank at the back, archer and healer a good distance away.

fanboi

Banned
I have never ever wanted to bed a RPG character more then Morrigan... EVERY gift I get I give to her.

Her attitude is only making it worse
will try to cosplay with my gf, she has the bitchy attitude but lack the dress
:)

Also, game feels perfect on Hard, you can't runt n gun and you need to prepare all the time to not be killed.

Xevren

Fredescu said:
If you're talking about
Flemeth
it's as easy as a tank at the front, tank at the back, archer and healer a good distance away.

That's how I played it, was difficult and took some time but was able to get through it. Slow mo special melee kills are awesome.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wardens Keep was highway robbery, finished it in 30 minutes and I wasnt even able to re-enter the castle to get the chests I didnt get the first time

On the positive side, I bedded Morrigan during camp :3

bathala

Banned
Fredescu said:
If you're talking about
Flemeth
I was wondering if I should beef up my mages' spell before doing this.

I tend to use two mages. (healer and offense)

Tokubetsu

Xevren said:
That's how I played it, was difficult and took some time but was able to get through it. Slow mo special melee kills are awesome.

I cut a deal that will no doubt come back and fuck me in the ass.

I installed The Stone Prisoner dlc and it's enabled and all that jazz. Shows up in the Active Content part of the journal. But the quest/location for it is nowhere to be seen. Anybody have any idea on a fix?

Top Bottom