• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Fakto

Is there a level CAP ? It's 20 like seems from the achievements ? Can you start a "new game +" in nightmare with the lvl you finished the game the first time ?
[I'm 75 % in the game, but I am already lvl 19]

nubbe

My mage looks great! Wicked witch.

ei7fae.jpg

Ricker

What level where you guys doing the Stone guy part from the free DLC?...i'm level 8 right now with my Rogue and absolutly got slaughtered on the way there by a fight with about 13 guys,including a female Mage with some kind of AoE fireball...I think I lasted like 20 seconds(on normal)... :lol

Can you go place you are not not suppose to be because your level is too low in this game?

Zeliard

Fredescu said:
Not once in nearly 60 hours. I have the same card.

Not only has the game not crashed a single time for me after 35 hours, but I also haven't encountered a single bug, remarkable for a game of this sort with so many varying character and dialogue paths. Also remarkable for a Bioware game. This is by a huge margin the most polished game they have ever put out.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lorddarkflare said:
I just finished the tower, and i must say that it was an unbelievably awesome experience.

The fade was ridiculously well designed.
Just finished it, it was a interesting idea, but it dragged on a bit to long. Should have had less areas.

Zeliard said:
Not only has the game not crashed a single time for me after 35 hours, but I also haven't encountered a single bug, remarkable for a game of this sort with so many varying character and dialogue paths. Also remarkable for a Bioware game. This is by a huge margin the most polished game they have ever put out.
I have only encountered two bugs so far in my 15 hours of playing it 1 - the dex-dagger dmg thing, which was easily fixed and 2 - shale didn't appear in the
the fade

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zeliard said:

being apart of EA gives them a lot more resources.

I finally got my copy and the Asian version has about 7 DLC with it.. not bad for 49.99.

played for a few hours as a Dwarf Warrior noble. So far so good. Liking the game a lot. I hope the areas after
big battle with the king
has a bit more life to them. The Dwarf city felt pretty good.. but the King's camp had almost a KoTORII feel to it..

Doc Evils

JayDubya said:
!

Haven may need to wait, then.

Trouble is, at L12 I really need to start getting the specializations I want; not interested in Templar, don't have Champion or Berserker yet, so I need to finish Haven PDQ. Don't have the coin to burn on specialization books, either, though I am certainly buying the bonus skill and bonus talent books when I find them.

Once you finish the Red Cliff Urn quest, when the kings says he wants to give you a reward, choose yes certainly and you will get Champion for free.

Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Redcliffe, this shit is impossible.

fp5ylw.jpg

I might cut my DA session short tonight.

Go back up the hill to the bridge in front of the mill. It's a choke point where only a few baddies can filter through at a time. It's cheap, but it works.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm coming close to the ending, but I realized that I went through all of the dwarf parts on easy without even realizing it. Ugh. I forgot to put it back to normal. I was getting bored of the combat cause I was going through everything without a challenge...didn't even think about the difficult >_<

Now I need to make it up to myself by playing the next game on hard.

RPGCrazied

im torn between 2 chars now

my mage, or rogue.. i like the idea of opening any door/chest tho.

I wanted to be a shapeshifter on my mage

Doytch

Ricker said:
What level where you guys doing the Stone guy part from the free DLC?...i'm level 8 right now with my Rogue and absolutly got slaughtered on the way there by a fight with about 13 guys,including a female Mage with some kind of AoE fireball...I think I lasted like 20 seconds(on normal)... :lol

Can you go place you are not not suppose to be because your level is too low in this game?
You should be able to do it around then. I did some sidequests in Denerim after Ostagar, and then got Shale, so I hadn't even gotten one of the armies on my side. Remember to always focus on mages first. They can wreck you, so try stealthing your rogue as close as possible before the fight starts and rush everyone else at the mage.

played for a few hours as a Dwarf Warrior noble. So far so good. Liking the game a lot. I hope the areas after big battle with the king has a bit more life to them. The Dwarf city felt pretty good.. but the King's camp had almost a KoTORII feel to it..
Oh they do. I felt the same way from the start, but each of the locations is totally fleshed out, with a tonne of entries in your codex to go along with it. Reading the entries about the Mages' Tower gives you so much insight into the world and how everything works and how they feel about their situation. Really great job by Bioware building the world and its backstory.

Zeliard

Thanks Veteran's Day for giving me today off to get some nice quality time in with Dragon Age. This game sucks up the hours.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im currently finishing last Treaty quest... 41hrs played, 1331 kills, 58% world explored and 24% completion of entire game.

:D

Ceebs

Doytch said:
Oh they do. I felt the same way from the start, but each of the locations is totally fleshed out, with a tonne of entries in your codex to go along with it. Reading the entries about the Mages' Tower gives you so much insight into the world and how everything works and how they feel about their situation. Really great job by Bioware building the world and its backstory.
They really did build a solid original world. I do hope if they do a sequel they will explore the other regions like Orlais and Antiva. They give a ton of info about these places but we never see them.

RPGCrazied said:
im torn between 2 chars now

my mage, or rogue.. i like the idea of opening any door/chest tho.

I wanted to be a shapeshifter on my mage
If it helps, shape shifting is by far the most underwhelming of the mage specializations.

Zeliard

Blackace said:
being apart of EA gives them a lot more resources.

Even outside of that, this is the type of game you'd expect to include some bugs on release due to the large amount of varying character paths and outcomes. They had to program in so many references to other references that are also simultaneously referencing other things, etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I completed the game as my Human Noble Warrior on normal difficulty. Man what a ride! The final battles were pretty intense and a whole lot of fun. I really liked the way the ending was handled as well. It was fairly short, but it gave me enough closure and left it open for a sequel / expansion. (human noble spoiler)
I was surprised and happy to see that my brother was still alive! Awesome stuff

My epilogue save says I played for 52 hours and had exactly 50% of the game completed. I think I have like 900/1600 achievement points, so just a little over half. I am going to go start up a new game now before I go to bed. I think I might go for a dwarf character. I really should be getting back to Borderlands and Torchlight, though... I also have my third playthrough of Uncharted 2 (crushing) to finish and I am at the final boss...

Truant

Ceebs said:
They really did build a solid original world. I do hope if they do a sequel they will explore the other regions like Orlais and Antiva. They give a ton of info about these places but we never see them.

If it helps, shape shifting is by far the most underwhelming of the mage specializations.

If you boost your con, the Blood Mage/Shapeshifter combo is lethal.

Blackace

Zefah said:
My epilogue save says I played for 52 hours and had exactly 50% of the game completed. I think I have like 900/1600 achievement points, so just a little over half. I am going to go start up a new game now before I go to bed. I think I might go for a dwarf character.

Dwarf is pretty awesome. At least the noble is.. :) So far!

Zeliard

Truant said:
If you boost your con, the Blood Mage/Shapeshifter combo is lethal.

This is exactly what I'm gunning for.

Someone earlier (you?) also said that Shapeshifter becomes quite powerful when you unlock Master Shapeshifter and modify the bear and spider forms.

Ceebs

Zeliard said:
This is exactly what I'm gunning for.

Someone earlier (you?) also said that Shapeshifter becomes quite powerful when you unlock Master Shapeshifter and modify the bear and spider forms.
Maybe I gave up on it too soon...Still my Spirit Healer/Blood Mage combo seems really OP as well.

Zefah said:
Well I completed the game as my Human Noble Warrior on normal difficulty. Man what a ride! The final battles were pretty intense and a whole lot of fun. I really liked the way the ending was handled as well. It was fairly short, but it gave me enough closure and left it open for a sequel / expansion. (human noble spoiler)
I was surprised and happy to see that my brother was still alive! Awesome stuff

My epilogue save says I played for 52 hours and had exactly 50% of the game completed. I think I have like 900/1600 achievement points, so just a little over half. I am going to go start up a new game now before I go to bed. I think I might go for a dwarf character. I really should be getting back to Borderlands and Torchlight, though... I also have my third playthrough of Uncharted 2 (crushing) to finish and I am at the final boss...

Man I have been in the same boat. This has been a really crazy Fall :eek: I still have to finish Brutal Legend and Sin & Punishment 2. Not even sure why I felt the need to get Dragon Age. Plus I just realized 3D Dot Game Heroes came out so I had to buy it...

I should be making a presentation right now but I am tinkering with my Donatello avatar in 3D Dot Game Heroes instead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blackace said:
Dwarf is pretty awesome. At least the noble is.. :) So far!

Awesome. I think I will go down that path. Maybe I'll make a dual wielding berserker / reaver and be a total asshole to everyone since my last guy was a bit on the kind side.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BudokaiMR2 said:
Man I have been in the same boat. This has been a really crazy Fall :eek: I still have to finish Brutal Legend and Sin & Punishment 2. Not even sure why I felt the need to get Dragon Age. Plus I just realized 3D Dot Game Heroes came out so I had to buy it...

I should be making a presentation right now but I am tinkering with my Donatello avatar in 3D Dot Game Heroes instead.

Fuck I forgot I even bought Brutal Legend. I will have to get back to that at some point as well. I am interested in 3D Dot Game Heroes, but it will be a while before I pick it up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:

Yeah, I really hope we get to explore more of Thedas (the name of the world) in future expansions and sequels. I think they have a really strong IP with Dragon Age and personally really like the lore they have created. I am even thinking about checking the books out even though I hear the writing quality is fairly poor. I'm going to see if I can buy them online to use on the Stanza app for my iPod Touch.

Blackace

Zefah said:
Awesome. I think I will go down that path. Maybe I'll make a dual wielding berserker / reaver and be a total asshole to everyone since my last guy was a bit on the kind side.

almost what I was looking at.. all but the total asshole part. My first play through is what I would do in the situation. After that I will try 100% good or bad if I can

Zeliard

Blackace said:
almost what I was looking at.. all but the total asshole part. My first play through is what I would do in the situation. After that I will try 100% good or bad if I can

Much easier said than done. A lot of choices on their surface might seem good or bad, but they lead down to paths you might not expect.

Doytch

Yeah, another vote for Bioware hitting the rest of the world. I like the little bit of intrigue and back-stabbing they started in the Orzammar kingship line, but taking that to the next level in Orlais could be really good if it branches well enough. Hell, since they don't need to do the whole Origins bit next time, maybe put a bunch of time into fleshing out a bunch of outcomes for political back-stabbing and whatnot.

Also take a cue from Mask of the Betrayer. It gives you those soul devourer feats, they could use a similar system, but have bardic feats instead that branch based on how you handle situations (in conversation/combat).

Blackace

Zeliard said:
Much easier said than done. A lot of choices on their surface might seem good or bad, but they lead down to paths you might not expect.

Oh I know. But I will do my damnest!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I understand PC look best but how far off really is the PS3 and 360 versions? Does the PS3 version look that much better or run that much more smoothly than the 360 version?

Whats the official GAF recommendation for this game? I have a good pc however I don't tend to feel like sitting in a stiff chair for hours in a basement on end. I much prefer the 58 Plasma with a Controller in hand upstairs, but I do not wan't to spend more and get crappy performance etc..

this isnt a arugment to start a flame war either. Im just looking for someone who has played on all three to let me know.

Zeliard

Blackace said:
Oh I know. But I will do my damnest!

You're going to do like I did and TOTALLY unexpectedly fuck someone over that you weren't trying to, while actually trying to help them. :lol

While this game for the most part doesn't go with The Witcher's crazy time-delayed consequences (though there are some), with some of the decisions you make, it's basically impossible to know what the true consequences for them are since so many other outside influences often play into it. It can also be as simple as a character reacting to your words in a way that you were completely not expecting or intending.

bengraven

Dorfdad said:
I understand PC look best but how far off really is the PS3 and 360 versions? Does the PS3 version look that much better or run that much more smoothly than the 360 version?

Whats the official GAF recommendation for this game? I have a good pc however I don't tend to feel like sitting in a stiff chair for hours in a basement on end. I much prefer the 58 Plasma with a Controller in hand upstairs, but I do not wan't to spend more and get crappy performance etc..

this isnt a arugment to start a flame war either. Im just looking for someone who has played on all three to let me know.

Overall consensus? Haven't you read the OP?

Ceebs

Doytch said:
Yeah, another vote for Bioware hitting the rest of the world. I like the little bit of intrigue and back-stabbing they started in the Orzammar kingship line, but taking that to the next level in Orlais could be really good if it branches well enough. Hell, since they don't need to do the whole Origins bit next time, maybe put a bunch of time into fleshing out a bunch of outcomes for political back-stabbing and whatnot.

Also take a cue from Mask of the Betrayer. It gives you those soul devourer feats, they could use a similar system, but have bardic feats instead that branch based on how you handle situations (in conversation/combat).
I was thinking the obvious idea for the next game would be a prequel dealing with the Tevinter Imperium and expand on the whole Andraste plotline.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
bengraven said:
Overall consensus? Haven't you read the OP?

Yes It basically says Consoles Suck...

Id like some real people to give their honest take on it having played or seen all three and not some comparison video with different settings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was wondering - is there a stats page in the 360 version? Or is the only way to view the stats during the random loading screens? I must be blind because I can't see it anywhere.

Dorfdad said:

Id like some real people to give their honest take on it having played or seen all three and not some comparison video with different settings.

I highly doubt anyone has played all three at this point.

If playing on a console is your thing, I hear both console versions are fine with minor tradeoffs between them.

Be warned, the PS3 version emits a foul odor and the 360 version has been linked to impotence in 1 out of 4 males aged 18-32.

firehawk12 said:
I was wondering - is there a stats page in the 360 version? Or is the only way to view the stats during the random loading screens? I must be blind because I can't see it anywhere.

It's in the codex section in the menu. Keep hitting right on the dpad and you'll get to it.

markatisu

Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Redcliffe, this shit is impossible.

Do not take them all on like you are Braveheart, utilize the hill and the surroundings. You can run up the hill and take potions/heal if things get too bad but they will be on your ass

On another note I listened to the soundtrack that comes with the CE and man is it good, I love the Grey Warden Legacy (Track 10) and Lelianna's Song (Track 13)

Finished Wardens Keep last night, it was pretty easy but love the armor

I need some help though, Morrigan asked
me to kill Flemith but when I go to her hut its locked. Did I miss where to find the key?

Doytch

It was a PC-only game for several years, and eventually shoe-horned onto consoles. They scaled back encounters so that you don't face the entire group at once and don't need to use your own tactics (not the scripting thing) that much. It makes a big difference.

Also consider the mod support (already there're storage box mods, plus there's a respec mod and eventually new campaigns) and the extra time it takes to get patches onto consoles. I'm using the hotfixes posted by Bioware employees to fix archery. For consoles it'll have to get finalized for PC first, then tweaked for consoles, then go through Bioware QA, and then through MS/Sony QA.

Do what you want, but the PC version is easily the best version.

Ceebs said:
I was thinking the obvious idea for the next game would be a prequel dealing with the Tevinter Imperium and expand on the whole Andraste plotline.
Meh, I don't think I'd like that too much. Another possibility would've been to have more Blights, since there's a codex entry in Andraste's temple that tells you how many dragons/old gods/archdemons there are - though I haven't finished so I don't know if this is wrapped up. It would also be awesomely underwhelming, when I read it I hoped that they wouldn't do that for sequels.

me to kill Flemith but when I go to her hut its locked. Did I miss where to find the key?
Morrigan can't be there with you. Read the dialogue! =p

I didn't know redcliff was so hated, it was first place I went and got through easily after leaving the first village.

If you do the quests in the village before the night, it really strengthens the militia and makes it easy to deal with the hordes.

syllogism

Well finished my playthrough and ended up at level 23. I did everything, pretty much literally, but 24 is probably possible as I didn't completely clear the final area and you can farm some areas. A satisfying ending if a bit brief.

e: arcane warrior is a bit broken as if I chose to I could've cleared the final area completely on my own. Regular creatures couldn't damage me and only few things could even make me use a lesser healing potion. I was also hitting for 100+.

e2: on hard

e3: of course it wasn't really any more broken than the storm of century which was doing almost 100 damage a tick and has an absurd radius

Ceebs

markatisu said:
Do not take them all on like you are Braveheart, utilize the hill and the surroundings. You can run up the hill and take potions/heal if things get too bad but they will be on your ass

On another note I listened to the soundtrack that comes with the CE and man is it good, I love the Grey Warden Legacy (Track 10) and Lelianna's Song (Track 13)

Finished Wardens Keep last night, it was pretty easy but love the armor

I got it off her dead body once I killed her

The PC version is the one to get, for sure. But I'd still play it on a console, if I didn't have a gaming PC. It would be a shame to miss it.

PuMa

BattleMonkey said:
I didn't know redcliff was so hated, it was first place I went and got through easily after leaving the first village.

If you do the quests in the village before the night, it really strengthens the militia and makes it easy to deal with the hordes.

Same here. I completed that battle first try.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ok didnt know it wasn't designed for consoles and shoehorned to make some sales..

I guess Ill grab it for the PC and seeing that Kmart is having a Door buster sale on it soon for $25.00 Ill grab it than..

Zeliard

It's really a shame that Shale is DLC that is almost certain to be sold later on. The guy is a core part of the experience, and as a character with his own abilities, backstory, arc, voice acting and dialogue with other characters, he is hardly your typical DLC.

Shale's the best character in the game in my view, other than perhaps Alistair, and EA and Bioware really need to just add him in the game to future copies rather than forcing people to pay. He's free now but will very likely be sold later on - and free or not, how many people have actually bothered to download and install Stone Prisoner, particularly with all the DLC clusterfuckery?

Dorfdad said:

While I can't comment on the other versions, I can tell you my thoughts on the 360 version I'm playing.

Graphics wise it ranges from passable to terrible. The faces are probably the best parts of the character models, generally their bodies are really shittily textured. The levels look ok for the most part but also suffer from fairly low res textures.

I've heard complaints the audio is terrible quality, honestly I haven't noticed it being bad at all, I am just playing it through my tv speakers though so maybe it's more noticable if you're putting it through a sound system.

As for actual gameplay, the radial menu system and using the face buttons works surprisingly well. Personally I wish you had more that 6 quick-slots, you end up leannig on those six a bit more, you kinda have to force yourself to go bring up the radial menu and use all of the spells you have. I'm glad friendly fire is off on Normal because it would make the game infuriatingly hard otherwise (it's already pretty tough if you aren't at least a little tactical). It works aswell as can be expected and is alot of fun, especially during a particularly big battle where you have to take care to manage what everyone is doing.

Overall it's a pretty flawed game but I still played 24 hours worth in the space of two days and would say it's one of my favourite games this year. Obviously this isn't exclusive to the 360 version but if you've liked any of BioWares games then it goes without saying you should get this, aslong as you have the right expectations I don't think it matters which format you get it on.

Top Bottom