• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ploid 3.0 said:
Awesome hospitality in this thread. Thanks for the tips. I'll search for a wiki or finally go to a game's forum for once. I'm just kinda used to having gaf as the hub, for reviews at least and I doubt another thread can be made for each review. PC gamers seem ruthless.

Edit: I just became interested in the game and I'm now gathering research material before the game is processed for shipping.

I've been asking questions in this thread no one would answer, too.

Bauer Action Hour said:
How would they not work on your PC? As long as your mobo uses PCI Express 2.0 you'll have no problem. If your mobo is an SLI board, you won't be able to make 2 ATI cards run on it but I doubt that's what you're looking to do.

my pc says PCI Express x 16. I know there are cards that are backwards compatible. what would happen if i put in a card that is PCIe 2.0 x16 into my system?

Ploid 3.0

GDJustin said:
I've been asking questions in this thread no one would answer, too.

This one?
Anyone compared the PS3 and 360 version yet? Any differences between them worth noting?

So far it seems the 360 version is better. Someone said the PS3 version has a hickup each time their character attacks. The 360 version was at the 24hr event and it looked fine. There are videos of both, but I'm not seeing too big of a difference. 360 version seems very safe. Also the PS3 version require a lenghty install.

DMPrince said:
my pc says PCI Express x 16. I know there are cards that are backwards compatible. what would happen if i put in a card that is PCIe 2.0 x16 into my system?
It would work just like it would work if you put into a PCIe 2.0 slot.

Crisco

Banned
What do you guys need reviews for anyway? From all the videos out there, we know the gameplay is amazing. We know the graphics are great. Bioware has never really failed when it comes to story and content (for the sake of argument, let's just ignore Neverwinter Nights), and by all accounts, those things are amazing too. Unless people are downright lieing to us, we know it's a long game.

What will a review tell us that we don't already know, or can infer for ourselves? This thing looks like the real deal guys, the game Baldur's Gate fans have been waiting nearly a decade to play.

NewLib said:
Just dont buy it until reviews then. Late embargos make sense with big games because if you dont have them reviewers will just play the first 5 hours and make their review based on that.

Yeah, you're going to need more than an embargo to prevent that from happening.

Crisco said:
What do you guys need reviews for anyway? From all the videos out there, we know the gameplay is amazing. We know the graphics are great. Bioware has never really failed when it comes to story and content (for the sake of argument, let's just ignore Neverwinter Nights), and by all accounts, those things are amazing too. Unless people are downright lieing to us, we know it's a long game.

What will a review tell us that we don't already know, or can infer for ourselves? This thing looks like the real deal guys, the game Baldur's Gate fans have been waiting nearly a decade to play.

I don't care about most reviews, but the general consensus is often useful for determining if a game does indeed live up to whatever promises its developers were making, or if something was lost in the execution.

Yeah, I know that Bioware thinks Dragon Age is awesome. Now I want to see what other people think of it as well.

Of course, the opinion of my friends on the matter is far more important than reviews.

Wait, so if I get the PS3 game used do I lose out on something that I would've had had I bought it brand new? I'm trying to figure out how to use up some Goozex points...

Carlisle

Ploid 3.0 said:
So far it seems the 360 version is better. Someone said the PS3 version has a hickup each time their character attacks. The 360 version was at the 24hr event and it looked fine. There are videos of both, but I'm not seeing too big of a difference. 360 version seems very safe. Also the PS3 version require a lenghty install.

I've changed my Amazon preorder a couple times already between PS3 and 360 because I keep hearing conflicting reports. I read somewhere that BioWare dev said the PS3 version would look closest graphically to the PC version and have the possibility for mods. This resulted in my most recent preorder switch.

And now here we go again...

Oh the hard life of multiple console owners...

Ploid 3.0

Carlisle said:
I've changed my Amazon preorder a couple times already between PS3 and 360 because I keep hearing conflicting reports. I read somewhere that BioWare dev said the PS3 version would look closest graphically to the PC version and have the possibility for mods. This resulted in my most recent preorder switch.

And now here we go again...

Hah, I watched the videos and didn't see the hiccups each attack like the guy said, but maybe it's in another area. I saved the video to my hard drive to make sure it wasn't flash or something. This is one of the reasons I'm anticipating reviews.

The post:
SavoryCade said:
Are you getting little framerate hiccups in battle, like every time? I seem to get one every couple of sword swipes. At first I thought it was a dramatic effect when you killed an enemy, but then it started happening on normal hits. Like he pulls back to swing *framerate jumps a bit* and then the rest of the action catches up with it. Slightly annoying, but I've kinda gotten used to it.

Oh those battle cries are horribly annoying, my dwarf says the same damn ladder quote. I figured out that every time I mashed X to attack, he said something. You don't have to mash it though, you can just target an enemy and hit X once so you don't have to hear it constantly. He'll just keep attacking until you give a new command.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Wait, so if I get the PS3 game used do I lose out on something that I would've had had I bought it brand new? I'm trying to figure out how to use up some Goozex points...

Yeah: you don't get the code for the DLC included, worth $15.

Zzoram

I would argue this game is a known quantity. It's Bioware and it's an evolution of Baldur's Gate 2. Anyone who liked the Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights games doesn't need a review to know they'll love it.

LCfiner

Zzoram said:
I would argue this game is a known quantity. It's Bioware and it's an evolution of Baldur's Gate 2. Anyone who liked the Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights games doesn't need a review to know they'll love it.

I agree. I'd be very surprised if there was a huge range of reviews with wildly differing opinions (thinking of, say, Mirror's Edge as an example)

But I would also like to know if there are noticeable differences between console versions and other "consumer shopper guide" kind of info.

Zzoram

So wait, if you pre-order on Steam you get: 2 unique rings.

Buying on Steam period, given that it's a new copy, you get: Blood Dragon Armor and The Stone Golem DLC

Digital Deluxe includes: unique helm, unique staff, +3 attributes consumable book, Warden's Keep DLC, soundtrack

The way I see it, bonus items tend to break game balance and make games too easy because you're getting great stuff earlier than you should. I am probably going to just buy Dragon Age: Origins on Steam when it goes on sale, because they aren't offering a pre-order $5 off and because I don't care about bonus items. Buying it on Steam will guarantee The Stone Golem since it's a new copy, and if I am ever starved for content (unlikely) I'll pick up Warden's Keep for $7 instead of paying $15 to get it plus some bonus items.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Carlisle said:
We have very little video footage of overlapping scenarios that are being played on both 360 and PS3. The closest you can get is to get footage from some dwarven fight on a bridge that was both demoed on the PS3 (GameSpots' On The Spot) and was used for the Warden's Quest tournament thingie (360).

The PS3 version doesn't look unplayable and doesn't look like it contains any noticeable framedrops. I looked for slowdowns at the usual spots (explosions, firebreaths) and didn't notice anything. Granted, the footage is really not very good, so they could be hard to catch.

If the graphics are a deal breaker, I think you have to wait past launch date when fansites make good quality comparisons.

I'm going with the PS3 version myself. (But that's because I want two languages on one disk, so the comparison would have to be heavy in favor of the 360 to sway me.)

GDJustin

Crisco said:

I'm having a hard time believing that this is a real post.

Reviews will change that "looks like" to "IS."

Your argument is basically "hey the odds are. it's great so why wait for reviews?" and I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Not all gamers are huge Bioware fans or even RPG fans in general. Not all gamers wanna drop $60 on very many single-player experiences.

Some want to read critical opinion on something before making a purchasing decision, and not just watch gameplay clips and previews.

epmode

Zzoram said:
Problem is, there's a pretty huge difference between Baldur's Gate 2 (fuckawesome) and Neverwinter Nights (yawn). Bioware's other stuff is good but they're far removed from the freedom + mountains of content you get in the Baldur's Gate games.

Ploid 3.0

bandresen said:
We have very little video footage of overlapping scenarios that are being played in both 360 and PS3. The closest you can get is to get footage from some dwarven fight on a bridge that was both demoed on the PS3 (360) and was used for the Warden's Quest tournament thingie.

The PS3 version doesn't look unplayable and doesn't look like it contains any noticeable framedrops. I looked for slowdowns at the usual spots (explosions, firebreaths) and didn't notice anything. Granted, the footage is really not very good, so they could be hard to catch.

If the graphics are a deal breaker, I think you have to wait past launch date when fansites make good quality comparisons.

I'm going with the PS3 version myself. (But that's because I want two languages on one disk, so the comparison would have to be heavy in favor of the 360 to sway me.)

Two languages, Europe version?

Zzoram

LCfiner said:
I agree. I'd be very surprised if there was a huge range of reviews with wildly differing opinions (thinking of, say, Mirror's Edge as an example)

But I would also like to know if there are noticeable differences between console versions and other "consumer shopper guide" kind of info.

The only reason I buy console versions over Steam versions of games is if I am unsure if I'll want to keep it and want the option to trade it in for credit.

Zzoram

epmode said:
Problem is, there's a pretty huge difference between Baldur's Gate 2 (fuckawesome) and Neverwinter Nights (yawn). Bioware's other stuff is good but they're far removed from the freedom + mountains of content you get in the Baldur's Gate games.

Considering that people are quoting 85 hours for a single playthrough with side quests, I'm sure there is mountains of content.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ploid 3.0 said:
Two languages, Europe version?
Yeah, German version. I could say it's because I want to increase the playtime from 800 hours to 1600 hours. But in reality it's so my brother can play it in german. ;-)

Yoshi256

Banned
NewLib said:
Just dont buy it until reviews then. Late embargos make sense with big games because if you dont have them reviewers will just play the first 5 hours and make their review based on that.

There had been already print reviews of the XBOX 360 Version in some mags and a lot of reviews of the PC Version.

The PC version is genius, in according to one review the XBOX 360 is great, but they say the PC version is a far far better game.
The handling and graphics aren't that good on the console. A lot of chaos in the fights.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People really sweating those reviews. Can't wait till it gets and 8.6 somewhere and someone cancels their preorder because of it :lol

daemonarch

Neo Member
well. i'm going for the ps3 version,
cause it looks virtually identical to 360 version and i have less rpg's on my ps3 catalog.
also i'm loking foward for the DLC's and i've much more disc space on my ps3... (read somewere that there was 2 years of DPCs programed)

GDJustin

_tetsuo_ said:
People really sweating those reviews. Can't wait till it gets and 8.6 somewhere and someone cancels their preorder because of it :lol

There's a difference between sweating them and waiting to see them before making a purchasing decision.

I can't believe people are lol'ing at folks that have decided to wait on buying a product until they see reviews o.0

It's like I've entered some bizarro world.

Swag

_tetsuo_ said:

:lol :lol , can't wait for the meltdown. I succumbed and bought the CE from Steam, so weak minded.

Zzoram

Yoshi256 said:
There had been already print reviews of the XBOX 360 Version in some mags and a lot of reviews of the PC Version.

The PC version is genius, in according to one review the XBOX 360 is great, but they say the PC version is a far far better game.
The handling and graphics aren't that good on the console. A lot of chaos in the fights.

The PC version was apparently done in February or March of this year, so they've just been polishing and optimizing since then. No wonder it's the best version.

epmode

GDJustin said:
I can't believe people are lol'ing at folks that have decided to wait on buying a product until they see reviews o.0
This sort of thing is worse than viral marketing. They're not even getting paid.

whatevermort said:
Yeah: you don't get the code for the DLC included, worth $15.

Wow, this sucks. I hope that someone will be willing to share that DLC via a dummy account. I can't afford to buy Dragon Age new so this kinda blows.

Justinian

Zzoram said:
The PC version was apparently done in February or March of this year, so they've just been polishing and optimizing since then. No wonder it's the best version.

No it's not that! The PC version will be the definitive version by far because it's the system this game was designed for from the get go.

You can only play the game the way it's meant to be played on the PC, i.e. tactical party combat with precision control over every character.

As well as the console versions may be "adapted", they will always fall short. Enemies had to be taken out and the game made easier on console - undoubtedly the game experience is severely compromised.

I refuse to play this game on a console, even though I am primarily a console player. My computer simply will not run this however, which is why I almost caved and preordered the 360 version. As I've seen more of the gameplay being dumbed down, I've decided I would rather wait and buy a new PC before experiencing this than play this release day on console.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
GDJustin said:
There's a difference between sweating them and waiting to see them before making a purchasing decision.

I was laughing at the types (who I have seen at this board) canceling preorders or whatever for scores under a 9. Hell even a low 9.

Yoshi256

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:

The german M!Games gave the XBOX 360 version only a 8.6.:D

But they also said that the game is genius on the PC and it's still great on console despite the flaws.

Wow, this sucks. I hope that someone will be willing to share that DLC via a dummy account. I can't afford to buy Dragon Age new so this kinda blows.
It probably goes through the EA store and prevents you from doing that.

Also I'm trying Journeys for the first time. This game is pretty damn awesome for a browser game. I stuck it on hard and the game is legitimately hard. Well, "legitimately"... There's far too many random %s, but whatever. I went with a theif, which kinda sucks. The first other party members I got were a Mage and Warr and they seem so much better. Doesn't help that I went with shitty archery techs either. Pinning shot is awesome, when it hits, but the other is useless. Stuck on the encounter where you get the armor back from 4 ninja dwarfs, mother fuckers are fierce.

Justinian

Son of Godzilla said:
It probably goes through the EA store and prevents you from doing that.

Also I'm trying Journeys for the first time. This game is pretty damn awesome for a browser game. I stuck it on hard and the game is legitimately hard. Well, "legitimately"... There's far too many random %s, but whatever. I went with a theif, which kinda sucks. The first other party members I got were a Mage and Warr and they seem so much better. Doesn't help that I went with shitty archery techs either. Pinning shot is awesome, when it hits, but the other is useless. Stuck on the encounter where you get the armor back from 4 ninja dwarfs, mother fuckers are fierce.

Oh dear you are going to go through a HELL of a time beating this game. It gets much more difficult as you progress...and then the final encounter :D

LCfiner

Yoshi256 said:
The german M!Games gave the XBOX 360 version only a 8.6.:D

But they also said that the game is genius on the PC and it's still great on console despite the flaws.

{runs out to buy a new PC immediately}

garath

GDJustin said:

I think confidence is just very high because of the few reviews that have already come out coupled with the positively glowing previews. Now certainly previews don't tell the whole story but a lot of GAFfers have had hands on time with it and uniformly have been positive.

On top of that we've been given the 30 minute quicklooks and a bunch of gameplay videos which personally made me run out and preorder.

I'd love to see some more reviews too but I sincerely doubt there will be much deviation from the praise the game has received so far.

GDJustin

garath said:
I think confidence is just very high because of the few reviews that have already come out coupled with the positively glowing previews. Now certainly previews don't tell the whole story but a lot of GAFfers have had hands on time with it and uniformly have been positive.

On top of that we've been given the 30 minute quicklooks and a bunch of gameplay videos which personally made me run out and preorder.

I'd love to see some more reviews too but I sincerely doubt there will be much deviation from the praise the game has received so far.

I agree. The game is probably going to be great. But I don't think there's anything wrong with someone waiting for reviews to erase that "probably" before they buy.

NewLib said:
How about this. No one here is a PR guy for Bioware, so do your own research. Game Informer gave it a 9. PC Gamer gave it a 94% and called it the RPG of the Decade. A bunch of European magazines have given it a 9 something.

If you preorder it, just dont pick it up immediately. I guarantee you by Tuesday night there while be a plethora of reviews out and if you like what you see, get the game.

Also, if you are so concerned about whether the game is going to be any good or not, does one item really make that big of a difference to potentially waste 5 dollars? I mean the items they are given away arent even that amazing.

Impossible. PT was released in '99. Unless they mean from 2000-2010

GDJustin said:
I agree. The game is probably going to be great. But I don't think there's anything wrong with someone waiting for reviews to erase that "probably" before they buy.
And if you're anything like me, day 1 purchases are always something that needs to be cautiously considered based on the following criteria: free time available, money, and whether or not I'm currently already in the middle of another game I'm enjoying. I always know going into new game releases that the wise thing to do would be to wait it out for a little bit (if not for a sale, then at least because it's silly to do so given the amount of games in my collection that I haven't played significantly/completed). Since I never pre-order games on principle, if I'm tempted to jump in at launch, it's always nice to get that day one reality check of a plethora of reviews and impressions that confirm for me that the game really is the bees knees and worthy of the #1 spot on my game queue.

ghostmind

So I've got the CE (360) preordered, but I'm starting to sour on the whole CE concept (GOW3 and MW2). It used to be $10 more and you got some cool shit, but this is getting out of hand.

Rant aside, what does the CE get me? A tin box, a cloth map, and a few stat-modifying items, correct? Does anyone else question if it is worth it?

Minsc

Gold Member
ghostmind said:
So I've got the CE (360) preordered, but I'm starting to sour on the whole CE concept (GOW3 and MW2). It used to be $10 more and you got some cool shit, but this is getting out of hand.

Rant aside, what does the CE get me? A tin box, a cloth map, and a few stat-modifying items, correct? Does anyone else question if it is worth it?

And a soundtrack + $7 DLC (actually that DLC is only if you buy it digitally, so if you're getting a tin box, you still need to buy Wardens Keep), and you also get a $15 DLC for just buying the game new, not used.

I don't think it's going to be uncommon to see games start to make this even worse, to the point where getting a game used costs more than buying it new.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
How do amazon customer's such as myself get the free DLC for preordering? I'm getting this shit release day, YES!!!

I don't think it is. You get a soundtrack too, and some making of disc. That's pretty much it I believe. If they threw in some of the proper DLC with the CE I'd be much more inclined to buy it. And actually, I don't even think the 360 CE is available anywhere b&m.

Sure, people can wait, but I'd bet the vast majority of us don't properly give a shit about reviews. I'm not even saying that within the context of DA, I can't fathom someone reading a review and saying "Oh, okay, now I should buy this". If anything, reviews only stymie interest. And I'm not sure they deserve that power.

hermit7

truly101 said:
How do amazon customer's such as myself get the free DLC for preordering? I'm getting this shit release day, YES!!!

Presumably through an email. I think thats what I remembered reading when I pre-ordered there.

Top Bottom