• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Jin

Justinian said:
No it's not that! The PC version will be the definitive version by far because it's the system this game was designed for from the get go.

You can only play the game the way it's meant to be played on the PC, i.e. tactical party combat with precision control over every character.

As well as the console versions may be "adapted", they will always fall short. Enemies had to be taken out and the game made easier on console - undoubtedly the game experience is severely compromised.

I refuse to play this game on a console, even though I am primarily a console player. My computer simply will not run this however, which is why I almost caved and preordered the 360 version. As I've seen more of the gameplay being dumbed down, I've decided I would rather wait and buy a new PC before experiencing this than play this release day on console.

Someone from Bioware said they had to remove some enemies but the ones that remain are harder then the PC to balance the difficulty.

ghostmind said:
Rant aside, what does the CE get me? A tin box, a cloth map, and a few stat-modifying items, correct? Does anyone else question if it is worth it?
The problem is that the CEs have not changed from the past at all. Its just that companies are trying to charge more for them.
Hadoken said:
Someone from Bioware said they had to remove some enemies but the ones that remain are harder then the PC to balance the difficulty.
The quote was that instead of heaving a tough enemy and several weaker enemies in a group the console version will have several tough enemies.

It was posted in this thread a couple of days ago

http://www.dragonagecentral.com/single/1253043060

Son of Godzilla said:
I can't fathom someone reading a review and saying "Oh, okay, now I should buy this".
Well, no one site/person has that power over me, but an overwhelming number of reviews/impressions declaring that the game is indeed all that and a side of fries can push me over the edge as far as saying "well, I was going to hold off for a bit, but I guess I'll cave right now."

quaere

Son of Godzilla said:
Sure, people can wait, but I'd bet the vast majority of us don't properly give a shit about reviews. I'm not even saying that within the context of DA, I can't fathom someone reading a review and saying "Oh, okay, now I should buy this". If anything, reviews only stymie interest. And I'm not sure they deserve that power.
How else am I supposed to figure out if I should buy a game? Obsessively follow the GAF thread? Which I do for some titles, but the majority of my purchasing decisions are made based on reviews.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
hermit7 said:
Nice impressions, do you feel the framerate drops hinder the gameplay at all? Is it light stuttering or heavy slowdown?

Just some stuttering, nothing terrible.

How big is the install?

3GB, but it felt larger since the install felt lenghty.

Cheech

LCfiner said:
{runs out to buy a new PC immediately}

Heh.

In the past, this is the type of game I would have bought on the PC. The last PC game I played seriously was WoW back in 2005, and I've simply gotten used to the wireless controller as a superior input device for gaming. I use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. My wrists need a break.

FuttBuck said:
You're on the PS3 version?

Yup.

Before it gets too blown out of proportion, the framerate hiccups are minor and don't hurt the gameplay at all. In fact, I'm asking if he had the same thing happen since it may just be my PS3. Other games with installs have been doing similar things to me lately. Probably time to back up and reformat the hard drive.

Cheech said:
Heh.

In the past, this is the type of game I would have bought on the PC. The last PC game I played seriously was WoW back in 2005, and I've simply gotten used to the wireless controller as a superior input device for gaming. I use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. My wrists need a break.
I would substitute 'superior' for 'preferable' there.

OMG reviews that were in the 8's. HIGH FIVE! I just pre-ordered me a second copy to go along with my first collectors! KA-CHOW!:lol

SavoryCade said:
Yup.

Before it gets too blown out of proportion, the framerate hiccups are minor and don't hurt the gameplay at all. In fact, I'm asking if he had the same thing happen since it may just be my PS3. Other games with installs have been doing similar things to me lately. Probably time to back up and reformat the hard drive.

This is what a guy at IGN said about the 360 version:

Combat is smooth with very little slowdown

Take it for what it's worth I guess.

epmode

So where's my Steam preload anyway?
Son of Godzilla said:
I can't fathom someone reading a review and saying "Oh, okay, now I should buy this".
I bought Demon's Souls for precisely this reason. It worked out very well.

Crisco

Banned
I'm having a hard time believing that this is a real post.

Reviews will change that "looks like" to "IS."

Your argument is basically "hey the odds are. it's great so why wait for reviews?" and I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Not all gamers are huge Bioware fans or even RPG fans in general. Not all gamers wanna drop $60 on very many single-player experiences.

Some want to read critical opinion on something before making a purchasing decision, and not just watch gameplay clips and previews.

Think for two seconds here, joe six pack isn't reading and posting in this thread. Everyone in this thread should know who Bioware is and what their previous work is like. They are a known quantity. It's like a Blizzard game. I don't need a review to tell me that Starcraft 2 is going to be awesome. Obviously reviews of this game will useful to some, but if you're someone who's even remotely familiar with the gaming industry and still need a review to tell you how to think, you've got problems. On the other hand, if you're not a Bioware fan or an RPG fan, then you're not going to like this game even if it gets 100% on metacritic.

epmode

Crisco said:
Think for two seconds here, joe six pack isn't reading and posting in this thread. Everyone in this thread should know who Bioware is and what their previous work is like. They are a known quantity. It's like a Blizzard game. I don't need a review to tell me that Starcraft 2 is going to be awesome. Obviously reviews of this game will useful to some, but if you're someone who's even remotely familiar with the gaming industry and still need a review to tell you how to think, you've got problems. On the other hand, if you're not a Bioware fan or an RPG fan, then you're not going to like this game even if it gets 100% on metacritic.
Bioware of today is a pretty different company from the one that released Baldur's Gate 2.

epmode said:
So where's my Steam preload anyway?I bought Demon's Souls for precisely this reason. It worked out very well.
I am sure most people here bought it because of the crazy rantings of people with an asian version of demon's souls.
epmode said:
Bioware of today is a pretty different company from the one that released Baldur's Gate 2.
Right and you expect the reviews to tell you something different?
Edit: I mean honestly by that argument reviews wont help you. You need to wait for the opinions of people who actually played the game for several hours.

Alucrid

Banned
ghostmind said:
So I've got the CE (360) preordered, but I'm starting to sour on the whole CE concept (GOW3 and MW2). It used to be $10 more and you got some cool shit, but this is getting out of hand.

Rant aside, what does the CE get me? A tin box, a cloth map, and a few stat-modifying items, correct? Does anyone else question if it is worth it?

You get the special armor for Mass Effect 2. I was going to get the CE solely for that reason, then I realized how ridiculous it was. I now plan on buying the game at a later date.

Crisco

Banned
epmode said:

So knowing this, I ask again, why would you base your opinion of the game on a review? It's not like KOTOR and Mass Effect were critically panned.

Tubobutts

Alucrid said:
You get the special armor for Mass Effect 2. I was going to get the CE solely for that reason, then I realized how ridiculous it was. I now plan on buying the game at a later date.

You get that in any NEW copy not just the CE.

epmode

I am sure most people here bought it because of the crazy rantings of people with an asian version of demon's souls.
I didn't even pay attention to GAF's thread after the first looks. The Eurogamer review sold the game to me right then and there.
Lostconfused said:
Right and you expect the reviews to tell you something different?
...I expect the reviews to tell me if it compares positively to Baldur's Gate, a game which is pretty far removed from anything released by Bioware over the last six years or so.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Son of Godzilla said:
Sure, people can wait, but I'd bet the vast majority of us don't properly give a shit about reviews. I'm not even saying that within the context of DA, I can't fathom someone reading a review and saying "Oh, okay, now I should buy this". If anything, reviews only stymie interest. And I'm not sure they deserve that power.

Dude what in the WORLD are you talking about? Probably about half my game purchases are driven by reviews and critical opinion. How else are you supposed to know if a game you haven't played is good or not? You read the opinions of people that have played it. o.0

You can't fathom someone saying "Man game X got great reviews... maybe I should consider purchasing it." ??

I don't know how to respond.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I enter this topic. I can't believe some of you are so chuffed that people won't go blindly pre-order and instead want to wait and see the reviews :lol

Crisco said:

It's my personal opinion that Bioware isn't on the same level of Valve, Blizzard, or Bungie (ie everything they make is a must-buy, no questions asked). I wasn't crazy about Jade Empire, and I liked Mass Effect, but I found it to be pretty overrated (certain aspects of it are pretty bad, as has been well documented).

Here's what you need to understand - different people have different tastes and opinions, and that's ok. I'm not LOL'ing at those of you who pre-ordered Day 1, because I grok that you're big Bioware fans. So why can't YOU understand that there's lots of people out there that want to read the reviews before plunking $60 on a SP game?

epmode said:
I expect the reviews to tell me if it compares positively to Baldur's Gate, a game which is pretty far removed from anything released by Bioware over the last six years or so.
You expect too much.

Edit: Unless you know of one reviewer that will tell you exactly that.

GDJustin said:
So why can't YOU understand that there's lots of people out there that want to read the reviews before plunking $60 on a SP game?
Because some people think game "journalists" are a joke and their reviews cant be trusted.

Ricker

The PC Giantbombcast video of a few weeks back,when they where playing as a Mage, was all the reviews I needed for this game,well it confirmed why I can't wait for Thuesday to get this,even if it's on the 360...I just hope it's a "selling,not shipping on Thuesday" release ;) :D

Ricker said:
The PC Giantbombcast video of a few weeks back,when they where playing as a Mage, was all the reviews I needed for this game,well it confirmed why I can't wait for Thuesday to get this,even if it's on the 360...I just hope it's a "selling,not shipping on Thuesday" release ;) :D

Sorry but both your Thuesdays really threw me off thinking you meant actually Thursday and not Tuesday! :lol Yes I'm kinda poking fun but really just saying cuz I don't think I've ever seen someone spell it that way.:D *edit* plus it scared me to thinking the date was actually pushed back.

Gorgon

Alucrid said:
You get the special armor for Mass Effect 2. I was going to get the CE solely for that reason, then I realized how ridiculous it was.

There's some sanity left in this world after all.

Zzoram said:
Considering that people are quoting 85 hours for a single playthrough with side quests, I'm sure there is mountains of content.

You're sure, so clearly everyone else should be sure.

You've decided that the game is worth purchasing, so clearly everyone else should also have decided that the game is worth purchasing.

Great logic there. :lol

Lostconfused said:
You expect too much.

Edit: Unless you know of one reviewer that will tell you exactly that.

Because some people think game "journalists" are a joke and their reviews cant be trusted.

Let me guess, you're one of those people? I think most forum posters are a joke and their impressions can't be trusted, yet I read them all the same. I decide how trustworthy impressions are based on how articulate and well reasoned they are, not by who posts them.

The very good reviews are slowly washing away the incredibly bad taste in my mouth that the trailers left. I mean, the writing in those was sub-fanfic. Just terrible.

NewLib

Banned
I think reviewers can generally recognize what is a great game, what is a good game, and what is a bad game. Its just the fact they try to make a distinction between a 9.3 and a 9.4 which is ridiculous. Read the text, chuck the score.

Liabe Brave said:
The very good reviews are slowly washing away the incredibly bad taste in my mouth that the trailers left. I mean, the writing in those was sub-fanfic. Just terrible.

I agree that the writing in the trailers was criminally bad. But sub-fanfic? Come on now, that's not even possible!

Vercingetorix said:
Let me guess, you're one of those people? I think most forum posters are a joke and their impressions can't be trusted, yet I read them all the same. I decide how trustworthy impressions are based on how articulate and well reasoned they are, not by who posts them.
Well I wouldn't know because I don't read reviews and cant form an opinion about their quality.

bengraven

:lol Enough about the goddamn reviews. :lol

I'm trying to convince my anti-microtransactions wife that I need to buy the Warden's Keep on Tuesday.

Thyrus said:
Now, do i gamble on getting a collectors edition (Master Race version ofcourse) from my local gamestop (buggers did not let me preorder one) or grab it from steam? Tin and cloth or wardens keep dlc? Choises, choises!
I managed to luck out and buy the CE while it was still $55 on steam. Saved about $30 canadian over picking it up in store.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thyrus said:
Steam preload is a go: http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=699074&forum=135&sp=465

Now, do i gamble on getting a collectors edition (Master Race version ofcourse) from my local gamestop (buggers did not let me preorder one) or grab it from steam? Tin and cloth or wardens keep dlc? Choises, choises!

Get the Steam edition. Don't stress yourself dealing with GameStops with PC versions of games. Worse yet, CE versions of those games.

Vercingetorix said:
I agree that the writing in the trailers was criminally bad. But sub-fanfic? Come on now, that's not even possible!
You're probably right. My excuse will be that Bioware's writing is expected to be so good, that when it's very bad it can drive the needle lower than the scale goes.

TheFallen

mjc said:
So is Warden's Keep available to everyone as DLC or just people that snagged the CE?
Seems to be set up so the Warden's Keep is day one DLC for $7 for everyone. But free for those who buy the digital PC CE.

Fredescu

bengraven said:
Hm, I think it comes with all physical CEs as well? It has the DL code in there?
No, Wardens Keep DLC only comes with the Digital CE. The Stone Prisoner DLC comes with all new copies of the game, CE or regular.

I just got my email from EA that is was shipped and they shipped it 2 day so I'll have it on Tuesday! :D

Why are so many people hoping they get one at gamestop? You can still get it from ea, not pay tax in most places, free shipping, and they did the one so far for release day (Now it will probably be a day or two after if you order now). Why not just buy directly...? So much easier.

LCfiner

Just pre-ordered this (and Mass Effect 2) for the 360 from Amazon. I had a moment’s thought of getting this for the PC and, in turn, buying a PC, but my wallet smacked me upside the head quickly enough.

I was thinking of just walking in a store and getting it next Tuesday but after having major trouble finding an english copy of Forza 3 last week, I’m concerned there will be French-only copies in the big retailers here in Montreal. Amazon listed french-only copies for all the platforms so I guess there’s a chance those would be shipped exclusively. I just don’t know anymore.

Anyway, I should have it by Wednesday. I’m rubbing my hands maniacally in anticipation.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
JayDubya said:
I wish Amazon was as prompt with games as they are with books. :(

I thought Amazon was doing release date delivery for Dragon Age? At least I got an email on Monday saying they had auto updated my order for the Xbox version since I am a Prime member.

Not that I really cared in this case since I am playing through the PC version first and that I am getting through Steam. Only reason I am getting the Xbox version as well is because I had a ton of game credits on Amazon I needed to use before the end of the year and there aren't really any other titles that I want that I haven't already bought, rented, or borrowed. If DA is anything like other Bioware games I will probably play through several times.

I popped in Best Buy on Thursday looking to take advantage of the B2G1 sale only to find a ton of copies of the 360 version sitting on the shelves, I had to double-take and ask one of the employees if it was a real copy as I thought I was sure it came out next week, the guy kinda blew me off so I hustled to the register and checked out before he had second thoughts. Told my buddies about it and they drove down to our local Best Buy yesterday but it looks like they either sold out or pulled it from the shelves.

Played the game for about 5 hours last night and came away pretty impressed, my GT is The Visualizer so I don't get banned for blasphemy...

Top Bottom