• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Been playing the PS3 game for a few hours since yesterday - it's quite good. There is a pretty lengthy install, which may help the game run well. But there are a few framerate hitches when multiple characters are on screen. Also, I guarantee that people will seriously want to smash their TVs with baseball bats once they hear the monotonous battle smack-talk your characters dish out.

There is one phrase that my Elf repeats over and over and over again - "here's a ladder so you can get off my back!" (or something to that effect). It's beginning to drive me nuts! That's all my fighter says during every battle. My helping characters repeat the same shit over and over too, and not in separate battles, either. It's all in one battle. I'll hear the same bit of audio repeated at least 5 times in a 30 second fight.

Beyond that, this is a really fun game and I'm super happy that the PS3 version doesn't suck.

Edit: A proper, professional, and concise review will follow next week. I sure know this ain't proper. :lol

Loudninja

AlphaSnake said:
Been playing the PS3 game for a few hours since yesterday - it's quite good. There is a pretty lengthy install, which may help the game run well. But there are a few framerate hitches when multiple characters are on screen. Also, I guarantee that people will seriously want to smash their TVs with baseball bats once they hear the monotonous battle smack-talk your characters dish out.

There is one phrase that my Elf repeats over and over and over again - "here's a ladder so you can get off my back!" (or something to that effect). It's beginning to drive me nuts! That's all my fighter says during every battle. My helping characters repeat the same shit over and over too, and not in separate battles, either. It's all in one battle. I'll hear the same bit of audio repeated at least 5 times in a 30 second fight.

Beyond that, this is a really fun game and I'm super happy that the PS3 version doesn't suck.

Edit: A proper, professional, and concise review will follow next week. I sure know this ain't proper. :lol

Nice thanks for the impressions :D

Zertez

I think the EA Store is sold out of the 360 CE, even though it says it is available. Ive tried ordering it with 2 different cards and I keep getting an unable to process order screen.

Justinian

hermit7 said:
Nice impressions, do you feel the framerate drops hinder the gameplay at all? Is it light stuttering or heavy slowdown?

Even if it was heavy slowdown it wouldn't matter because there is no dependence on precision aiming or quick reflexes.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone compared the PS3 and 360 version yet? Any differences between them worth noting?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Jayge said:
You provided the counter-argument to your first paragraph... with your second paragraph.

:lol I know like I said didn't want to derail the thread. That is why I derailed my post before anyone else could.

thatsthejoke.gif

AlphaSnake said:

Are you getting little framerate hiccups in battle, like every time? I seem to get one every couple of sword swipes. At first I thought it was a dramatic effect when you killed an enemy, but then it started happening on normal hits. Like he pulls back to swing *framerate jumps a bit* and then the rest of the action catches up with it. Slightly annoying, but I've kinda gotten used to it.

Oh those battle cries are horribly annoying, my dwarf says the same damn ladder quote. I figured out that every time I mashed X to attack, he said something. You don't have to mash it though, you can just target an enemy and hit X once so you don't have to hear it constantly. He'll just keep attacking until you give a new command.

glaurung

BoloTheGreat said:
Any word on what kind of hardware this will need? I have a ubercharged 4870 so im probabaly ok but i would like to know before hand.
Recommended specifications as follows:
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
  • RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
  • VIDEO: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater or NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
  • HDD: 20 GB HD space
I would say you're safe with your card, as am I with my 4850.

LCfiner

glaurung said:
Recommended specifications as follows:I would say you're safe with your card, as am I with my 4850.

btw, the recommended specs were recently modified to a Core 2 Duo and not a quad. still 2.4 GHz.

sendu

Neo Member
LCfiner said:
btw, the recommended specs were recently modified to a Core 2 Duo and not a quad. still 2.4 GHz.

Yeah, the recommended specs are now:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 GHz or greater
RAM: 2 GB (XP) or 3 GB (Windows Vista/Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

So yeah, you'll both be totally fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
This really should have come out today. It's a weekend game, dammit.

Yeah it is going to suck to not be able to pour very much time into the game during the work week. At least I have Torchlight and Borderlands to occupy me for this weekend.

Ploid 3.0

Cutting it pretty close. Mine ship on the 4th. Story, loot, and other things are all I need to know about now. Seeing how they have loot that are preorder bonuses I guess there's a lot of loot in the game (I like loot whoring, especially if I don't have to pay a monthly fee).

Zefah said:
How can people be confused about this kind of stuff? If you have a computer that will run the game well then there is no question about it. The game will look better, run better, play better, will be cheaper, will have more options and mods and just be an overall better experience. Unless you really hate using a mouse and a keyboard, in which case you probably don't even have a computer that will run Dragon's Age, then there is no reason to get this game on a console.

Maybe if you have some awesome TV that for some reason you cannot hook your computer up to it then I might understand
Well, to concede some small degree of fairness, I could conceivably see someone saying "I'm going to be putting dozens of hours into this game, so I want to be able to lay down on the couch if I so desire," which is a playstyle that doesn't really lend itself very well to keyboard + mouse controls. Otherwise, I completely agree.

eh.. i don't know if my pc can handle this game.

Intel Duo 2 Core 2.8ghz (i think it's 2.8 or 2 something) 32bit W7 Ultimate
3GB of DDR2 Ram (Should have 4 soon)
Geforce 9400 GT 512MB

what would be the best (cheap) graphics card I can go? ;o

NewLib

Banned
bengraven said:
Every embargo lifts on release day.

Cowards.

Just dont buy it until reviews then. Late embargos make sense with big games because if you dont have them reviewers will just play the first 5 hours and make their review based on that.

Zeliard

These embargos are really lame but they don't necessarily mean the reviews will be poor or even average. Batman had a similar embargo and it scored very highly.

epmode

koji said:
Embargo lifts 03/11 IIRC.
Fuck that. I swear, if I get burned on this, I'm done with Bioware.
NewLib said:
Just dont buy it until reviews then.
I'm usually OK with that. But this has all of those ridiculous preorder-only bonuses, not to mention how much time I'd save with the eventual Steam preload.

The marketing for this game is so slimy.

bengraven

NewLib said:
Just dont buy it until reviews then. Late embargos make sense with big games because if you dont have them reviewers will just play the first 5 hours and make their review based on that.

Considering every one of the dozen+ reviews that have already been released were universally praising, this is a time they need to relent on this.

epmode said:
Fuck that. I swear, if I get burned on this, I'm done with Bioware.I'm usually OK with that. But this has all of those ridiculous preorder-only bonuses, not to mention how much time I'd save with the eventual Steam preload.

The marketing for this game is so slimy.

Are you seriously not reading the reviews that have been released?

Christ, people are getting worked up.

DMPrince said:
eh.. i don't know if my pc can handle this game.

Intel Duo 2 Core 2.8ghz (i think it's 2.8 or 2 something) 32bit W7 Ultimate
3GB of DDR2 Ram (Should have 4 soon)
Geforce 9400 GT 512MB

what would be the best (cheap) graphics card I can go? ;o

HD 4770 seems like an excellent cheap choice. You can get it from newegg.com for $110 shipped free.

Ploid 3.0

bengraven said:
Considering every one of the dozen+ reviews that have already been released were universally praising, this is a time they need to relent on this.

Christ, people are getting worked up.

Is there a post somewhere that has a list of the review links? Could someone edit their posts on the first or second page keeping up with reviews at least? I would also like a HD screenshot of that cg for my desktop wallpaper. Is that video up in hd anywhere?

epmode

bengraven said:
I saw two of them. There are more?

Anyway, I'm wary of anything that manages to make it through this embargo.

NewLib

Banned
epmode said:

There apparently was no embargo on European reviews as all the reviews have been from Europe.

Edit: Except for Game Informer who gave it a 9.

bengraven

epmode said:

Ploid 3.0 said:
Is there a post somewhere that has a list of the review links? Could someone edit their posts on the first or second page keeping up with reviews at least? I would also like a HD screenshot of that cg for my desktop wallpaper. Is that video up in hd anywhere?

Here are two people who wanted a PR-bloated official post.

Read this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372265 I was going to search out the posts for you, but I'm not doing the work.

Ploid 3.0

bengraven said:
Here are two people who wanted a PR-bloated official post.

Read this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372265 I was going to search out the posts for you, but I'm not doing the work.

Thanks for the link. This seems like a touchy subject, but I didn't mean to look like I wanted a massive op. I was just actually curious to have somewhere to look for this stuff. Especially when everyone get the game and questions keep popping up (like demon's souls thread).

NewLib

Banned
epmode said:
God no. Posting links to reviews != PR bloat, by the way.

How about this. No one here is a PR guy for Bioware, so do your own research. Game Informer gave it a 9. PC Gamer gave it a 94% and called it the RPG of the Decade. A bunch of European magazines have given it a 9 something.

If you preorder it, just dont pick it up immediately. I guarantee you by Tuesday night there while be a plethora of reviews out and if you like what you see, get the game.

Also, if you are so concerned about whether the game is going to be any good or not, does one item really make that big of a difference to potentially waste 5 dollars? I mean the items they are given away arent even that amazing.

epmode

NewLib said:
How about this. No one here is a PR guy for Bioware
Are you sure? It's a big forum.

And I guess I don't really care about the issue that much. I just like to bitch about shitty PR practices and launch-day review embargos are definitely included.

(I'll be getting the Steam version so cancelling a pre-order is out of the question)

Ploid 3.0

Awesome hospitality in this thread. Thanks for the tips. I'll search for a wiki or finally go to a game's forum for once. I'm just kinda used to having gaf as the hub, for reviews at least and I doubt another thread can be made for each review. PC gamers seem ruthless.

Edit: I just became interested in the game and I'm now gathering research material before the game is processed for shipping.

SavoryCade said:
Are you getting little framerate hiccups in battle, like every time? I seem to get one every couple of sword swipes. At first I thought it was a dramatic effect when you killed an enemy, but then it started happening on normal hits. Like he pulls back to swing *framerate jumps a bit* and then the rest of the action catches up with it. Slightly annoying, but I've kinda gotten used to it.

Oh those battle cries are horribly annoying, my dwarf says the same damn ladder quote. I figured out that every time I mashed X to attack, he said something. You don't have to mash it though, you can just target an enemy and hit X once so you don't have to hear it constantly. He'll just keep attacking until you give a new command.

You're on the PS3 version?

epmode

Ploid 3.0 said:
Awesome hospitality in this thread. Thanks for the tips. I'll search for a wiki or finally go to a game's forum for once. I'm just kinda used to having gaf as the hub, for reviews at least and I doubt another thread can be made for each review. PC gamers seem ruthless.
Nah, that was especially hostile. I didn't expect it either and I've actually been reading the thread.

PC gamers <3 you!

DMPrince said:
link? the ones i saw on newegg may not be compatible or work with my pc.

How would they not work on your PC? As long as your mobo uses PCI Express 2.0 you'll have no problem. If your mobo is an SLI board, you won't be able to make 2 ATI cards run on it but I doubt that's what you're looking to do.

If I recall correctly, I don't think there were any reviews for Mass Effect until maybe the day before release, if not the actual day of release. GTA4 was similar with the exception of the IGN review. I figured these close to release review embargoes were pretty much standard these days. Lame, but standard.

They should really follow Uncharted 2 and put the reviews out there early to build the hype. Dragon Age desperately needs it.

Top Bottom