• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Shouta said:
I find Alistair, Wynne and Morrigan to be a hilarious trio especially after
you bang Morrigan
. The conversations are so amusing. I saw a conversation where Alistair basically whined about his shirt until Wynne gave in and said she'd repair it for him. Another situation is where Wynne found Alistair's dirty sock in her stuff. He puts it on right away because his current one is wet.
That Wynne-Alistair dialogue picked up immediately after I got Wynne into the party at the Circle Tower :lol kind of ruined the immersion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zefah said:
There usually seems to be an option where you don't have to take either side or can tell both of them to shut up. Sure you might get a -3 with the parties, but it is better than taking one side and getting a -10 or something. The smaller negatives are easily made up later on when talking to them individually or giving them gifts. There are also tons of occasions where you can use your persuasion skill (if it is high enough) to convince your party members.

Yeah, I've found that there can be ways to make up small differences, but I find it easier to just avoid the problem altogether - especially if you're late in the game and everyone is already at 100%.
Remember that with gifts, there's a diminishing rate of return... so you can't just keep spamming Morrigan with jewelry.

And Christ, I just found out about the DLC achievement glitch. Now I'll never be able to unlock the DLC achievements... what a pain. :p

Atrus

Gold Member
The morality system isn't that complex. It reminds me more of Neverwinter Nights in that respect than it does Baldur's Gate.

Overall, your good/bad actions are meaningless. Everything boils down to maybe 6-7 key branches that dictate the overall outcome of the game. The trophies/achievements even outline some of the most important ones.

Baldurs Gate 2's was enjoyable in the sense that the collective results of your actions dictated a good/evil/neutral path and those paths opened up several options. What this game does is correct the NWN flaw in the party system where you didn't really get to know or care much for your allies as they weren't memorable for the most part.

It really doesn't matter what you do collectively in this game and frankly it all boils down to one dialogue choice of which path you've taken and the ending is really a review of all your A or B dialogue choices.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tokubetsu said:
And you'd regret it. Some battles can be UNFORGIVING.

I dunno man, she is really powerful. The combination of getting her and stepping up from the sword I damn near started with to the dual enchanted murder machine I have now has made things a lot easier. I'm in the tower now and my Dwarf Berserker is like 2 shotting stuff by himself. It's hilarious.

Atrus said:
The morality system isn't that complex. It reminds me more of Neverwinter Nights in that respect than it does Baldur's Gate.

Overall, your good/bad actions are meaningless. Everything boils down to maybe 6-7 key branches that dictate the overall outcome of the game. The trophies/achievements even outline some of the most important ones.

Baldurs Gate 2's was enjoyable in the sense that the collective results of your actions dictated a good/evil/neutral path and those paths opened up several options. What this game does is correct the NWN flaw in the party system where you didn't really get to know or care much for your allies as they weren't memorable for the most part.

It really doesn't matter what you do collectively in this game and frankly it all boils down to one dialogue choice of which path you've taken and the ending is really a review of all your A or B dialogue choices.

Compared to the Kotor blatant light/dark, i think i can live with this.

More devs should try to learn from 'The Witcher's That game handled permutations with glee, yet at the same time, they did not simplify morality, they made it more complex and murky.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That is why I patiently await Alpha Protocol. Timed dialogue system will be glorious.

edit: fuck I didn't want this to be at the top of a page D:

Ventrue

Atrus said:
Baldurs Gate 2's was enjoyable in the sense that the collective results of your actions dictated a good/evil/neutral path and those paths opened up several options.
As someone who has played that game about 15 times, no it didn't! You got some minor choices on quests and you got to pick Shadow Thieves or the vampires. I love that game, but come on. In terms of choices DA:O far outstrips it.

Ventrue said:
As someone who played that game about 15 times, no it didn't! You got some minor choices on quests and you got to pick Shadow Thieves or the vampires. I love that game, but come on. In terms of choices DA:O far outstrips it.

I have not played BG2, but it is pretty standard for Bioware only giving you the illusion of of control and choice beyond some rather specific and obvious ones.

Fredescu

Atrus said:
frankly it all boils down to one dialogue choice of which path you've taken and the ending is really a review of all your A or B dialogue choices.
What's wrong with that? It's basically what The Witcher did.

Fredescu said:
What's wrong with that? It's basically what The Witcher did.

Very true, but the impacts were more severe and less obvious.

Some innocent and innocuous decisions in Witcher could have some pretty intense repercussions.

Even with that said, i agree, there is nothing wrong with the way it is.

firehawk12 said:
Maybe I've been raised on JRPGs, but I'm not going to purposely sabotage my game because I'm doing a virtual LARP or something. I need the game to force me to act in an inefficient way or I'll exploit it. That's my bad, sure, but BioWare showed that they can do better.

For example, it's why I found the
Virmire moment
in Mass Effect 1 so effective. It forced you to make a choice and didn't give you a way to game the system.

Alternatively, the similar moment in Dragon Age... I saw no incentive to go the other way other than to get the associated achievements.

Why not? It makes the game so much more dynamic when you don't have to worry about being good or bad. Even making righteous choices in DA can cause some huge penalties with your party, something I learned the hard way after completing one of the major hubs.

Masta_Killah said:
Why not? It makes the game so much more dynamic when you don't have to worry about being good or bad. Even making righteous choices in DA can cause some huge penalties with your party, something I learned the hard way after completing one of the major hubs.

I think that DA would be so much better if the approval meter thingy was gone. They may as well have added a ME-style renegade/Paragon bar.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm on easy (EASY), and the unfairness of the casual battles just made me ragequit. I'm struggling to see how I can make it through the haunted redcliffe castle, there's like 10-3 odds in all of these fights.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've been slacking with the Iso shots

4097772050_da09dfb5e0_b.jpg

4097014027_5dcccfc11e_b.jpg

4097014077_a11d1a0a5d_b.jpg

bjaelke

Does the pc version unpause when you select a skill/spell/action or can you stack them? Those screens look gorgeous by the way :)

1stStrike

Banned
mattiewheels said:
I'm on easy (EASY), and the unfairness of the casual battles just made me ragequit. I'm struggling to see how I can make it through the haunted redcliffe castle, there's like 10-3 odds in all of these fights.

If you can't get through this game on easy then you're doing something very, very wrong. Easy is just, well, way too easy. If you find yourself unable to get through an area try going somewhere else and starting the quest line there to get a couple more levels. You can always go back and continue redcliffe at another point in the game.

Otherwise, try swapping out some party members and setting up your tactics for each of them in order to make your life easier.

Kinan

mattiewheels said:

wow, you are really doing something wrong. Only really hard fight there is in the room with mubari dogs, and even that should be doable on easy. Important to note, that the most guys there are immune to your staff standart attack so get them some bows/daggers. Also, learn to use available crowd control. Dont afraid to use pause and micromanage.

bjaelke

_tetsuo_ said:
It doesn't unpause but you can't queue up skills.
So you can select another character and choose another action for him in the same "pause" sequence? Playing the console version on nightmare and trying to micromanage is...well a nightmare. Needs to pause after each single action.

Atrus

Gold Member
Ventrue said:
As someone who has played that game about 15 times, no it didn't! You got some minor choices on quests and you got to pick Shadow Thieves or the vampires. I love that game, but come on. In terms of choices DA:O far outstrips it.

BG allowed and disallowed paths based on character alignment. Not so much for the main plot but certainly through the sidequests. There is no alignment in DA. I could serve one faction in the Dwarven kingdom to a fault, and then pick the other in the critical dialogue choice and it affected nothing other than to present which choice I picked during the endgame review.

Essentially, there is no bad decision to be made in DA.

Fredescu

bjaelke said:
So you can select another character and choose another action for him in the same "pause" sequence? Playing the console version on nightmare and trying to micromanage is...well a nightmare. Needs to pause after each single action.
Does it do that even if you have the "toggle" option selected? That would be annoying.

lostzenfound

Aedile said:
Would've been interesting if NPC disapproval led to any consequences besides the character possibly leaving. (This is assuming that it doesn't, of course. Never tried to drive down the approval scores of any of my team members; I'm not using Alistair in my second playthrough since my main is specced as a tank, but being mean to him is like kicking a puppy.)

I happen to know that if you take Shale to the finale of the Dwarven segment
and side against Carridin choosing to help Branka use the anvil, he'll literally denounce you on the spot, declare his allegiance to Carridin, and join the opposing force for the boss battle. In a very Wrex moment, you'll have to kill his ass right there.

Atrus said:
BG allowed and disallowed paths based on character alignment. Not so much for the main plot but certainly through the sidequests. There is no alignment in DA. I could serve one faction in the Dwarven kingdom to a fault, and then pick the other in the critical dialogue choice and it affected nothing other than to present which choice I picked during the endgame review.

And there should not be any.

Decisions and consequences are all you need.

With that said, DA has plenty of decisions, but Bio-ware forgot to include consequences.

bjaelke

Fredescu said:
Does it do that even if you have the "toggle" option selected? That would be annoying.
Yes. Any action will break the pause, so you have to re-pause immediately after selecting an action.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
bjaelke said:

Ya the game stays paused until you hit space again no matter what you do. I've played the console version and doing anything on there was a nightmare for me :lol. Then again I had already logged many hours onto the PC version so I was already quite used to playing the game a certain way.

lostzenfound said:
and side against Carridin choosing to help Branka use the anvil, he'll literally denounce you on the spot, declare his allegiance to Carridin, and join the opposing force for the boss battle. In a very Wrex moment, you'll have to kill his ass right there.

I also like how if you don't take him with you,
you can lie to him back at the camp and prevent him from leaving. I wasn't able to complete his quest though.

Fredescu

Basileus777 said:
I also like how if you don't take him with you,
you can lie to him back at the camp and prevent him from leaving. I wasn't able to complete his quest though.
I didn't take him with me
and told him the truth at camp and got the quest, but a small chunk of disapproval too

Ventrue

lorddarkflare said:
I have not played BG2, but it is pretty standard for Bioware only giving you the illusion of of control and choice beyond some rather specific and obvious ones.
There is not even much illusion of choice in BGII.

BGII rarely actually changed your alignment, so that's still not really choice. And there weren't even that many examples of that kind of restriction.

Honestly I'd love to have more meaningful consequences in games but it's extremely rare due to how much work is required to make something that by definition not every player will see.

NewLib

Banned
Shale and Leiliana's conversations about birds are hilarious. I liked how they just kept that string going between them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lostzenfound said:

Other situations where party members will
straight up leave or even turn on you:

Morrigan:
If you had been "friendly" with her and refuse to inpregnate her on the night before the final battle she will vanish.

Zevran:
If you haven't raise your approval rating with him and get encountered by his old Antivan Crow comrade in Denerim he will turn against you

Leliana:
Apparently if you side with the fanatics in the whole situation with Andraste's Ashes and try to sabotage them while Leliana is in your party she will turn on you

There are probably others as well.

Xevren

Yeah, for Wynn it's
taking the offer of becoming a blood mage from the demon in redcliffe I think
. Alistair's is
allowing Loghain to become a Grey Warden towards the end.

markot

Banned
Know what ticks me off.

With like Shale, and you pause to manage the battle, if you select one of his active 'stances' it turns off, and if you do it by accident, you cant turn it off, even though you are paused! Screwed me up when I tried to slam but pressed the wrong button >.<

nubbe

Zefah said:
Leliana:
Apparently if you side with the fanatics in the whole situation with Andraste's Ashes and try to sabotage them while Leliana is in your party she will turn on you

Wynne too

Fakto

Xevren said:
Yeah, for Wynn it's
Not true, or at least not for the moment, I'm a BM as well as She is, and she is +100 Friendly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xevren said:
Yeah, for Wynn it's
. Alistair's is
allowing Loghain to become a Grey Warden towards the end.

Oops! I totally forgot about Alistair.

I actually loaded a save at that part and
chose Loghain making his daughter the queen of Ferelden and causing Alistair to walk out, but after I saw that his gear was pretty much garbage I reloaded my save

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fakto said:
Not true, or at least not for the moment, I'm a BM as well as She is, and she is +100 Friendly.

I think he means if you have her in your party when you make the choice.

Erudite

Finished it tonight. 55 hours,
% of the game complete, 95% of the world discovered. (Spoilered in case people don't want to know what % the game ends at)

Kinda felt the last 6-7 hours didn't hold up compared to that of the rest of the game, mainly because combat had become pretty routine and simple, despite playing on Hard. Nevertheless, glad I played it. Sure as hell scratched my RPG itch.

Fakto

Zefah said:
I think he means if you have her in your party when you make the choice.
You can't,
you go into the Veil Alone
, and for the moment, no dialogue options to tell her.

Traced-Velocity said:
Finished it tonight. 55 hours,
% of the game complete, 95% of the world discovered.
Why is that ? You skipped optional quests ?

BeeDog

Alright, some things that are starting to bother me:

1) The shitty loot: I'm cruising through the first two area in Deep Roads, and then it hit me, the loot is shitty. You just get the same drops all the time, filling up your inventory and forcing you to either destroy stuff you've picked up, or walk back to a merchant or the party chest (which is ridiculously small as it is). More interesting, unique items would've been much better, and if every worthless piece of killed shit didn't drop crap all the time that my OCD forces me to pick up, it would be more enjoyable to explore.

2) Tactics quirks: first, no queueing of actions blows, which means you have to pause the game all the time if you play on harder difficulties, just to make sure your members do what you want them to do in a very specific order. Also, maybe it's just me but the selection markers (both on the portrait on the ground and on the characters themselves) are hard to discern from their regular colour, which makes it easy to mistakenly overwrite an order you've currently placed. Also, the thing about first having to right-click on an enemy and THEN choose the action, and perhaps re-do it if you change your mind gets tiresome.

3) Backpack carrying limit too small: probably just me, but the max amount of items you can carry is ridiculously low, mainly because stuff like the gifts each weigh 1 item slot. Also doesn't help that the party chest in Warden's Keep once again is very small.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I know that a large part of this is related to the fact that I'm playing on a console (can't really pause during combat, poor interface for the game, no overhead view, no real aiming...), but this game is HARD. The only other time I can ever remember putting an RPG on easy was for Arcanum because I got myself stuck in a battle with a non-battle oriented character early on. I had to turn it on easy because I just could not get through some missions.

And that was too damned easy! I've kept it on because I don't want to keep switching back and forth when I get to impossible fights (Seriously, impossible, one killed me within five seconds of entering the room every time I played, no matter what I did I was down to one party member running around for a few seconds then dying), but it is too damned easy. I blew threw way too much of it. Well, I'm not actually finished, but it seems as though I'm right at the end.

There was one point where I was fighting a ton of Darkspawn, and I picked every one but the strongest of each group off with one shot from my bow. By the end of the section, I was laughing at how I'd kill everything while my two fighters were charging in. Of course, had I put it back on normal, I'd have been served as lunch.

I really think "normal" should have been hard, and there should have been a level in between what is now casual and normal. It's not fun on either setting, which is unfortunate.

I'm sure this isn't exactly treading new ground here. Ah well. I rented it from Gamefly for my first playthrough, I'll send it back and maybe some day have a PC that can run it well enough to buy the game and replay it properly.

Erudite

Fakto said:
Well, I should say that % is based across multiple characters. I finished most of the side quests (only had 2 or 3 board quests left- Pretty sure I completed all the stand-out ones), and explored as much of the world as I could.

NewLib said:
Shale and Leiliana's conversations about birds are hilarious. I liked how they just kept that string going between them.

You should hear Sten and Morrigan's conversations. Sten got her good! :lol

Morrigan tries to annoy Sten by asking him about having sex. After many dialogue exchanges throughout the game, Sten finally agrees and tells her to brace herself because sex with his species can be painful. She quickly backs down from the situation.

Fredescu

BeeDog said:
1) The shitty loot
It's horrible. Only recently did I have enough rings for every party member, but I had spare amulets out the wazoo. It's annoying that the Wardens Keep stuff is so much better than everything else out there.

BeeDog said:
Also doesn't help that the party chest in Warden's Keep once again is very small.
It has a limit? I have heaps of stuff in there.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fakto said:
You can't,
you go into the Veil Alone
, and for the moment, no dialogue options to tell her.

The % complete includes all game content, including all the stuff you can't complete. Like for instance, you only get 1 origin, but all 6 count towards the %. Same with the major decisions, doing something one way blocks the other. So getting 50% complete in one playthrough is about the max, but it accumulates across all your playthroughs.

Protip: If you're looking for a challenge, don't pick a dual wield warrior. Mine did 60% total party damage, not bad for a 4 character group. He'd butcher anything I pointed him at in seconds.

Top Bottom