• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Ploid 3.0

Fakto said:
omg ! OMG ! OMFG ! .... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!

Alistair is Virgin ! ... HahahahaHAHAHhahaha ...
:lol

Just completed
the Urn of Ashes and recruited the 4 armies
, 72 hours in !

It's the Dragon Ages, not 2000.
People didn't sleep around then so that would be understandable.

Fakto said:
Is there a level CAP ? It's 20 like seems from the achievements ? Can you start a "new game +" in nightmare with the lvl you finished the game the first time ?
[I'm 75 % in the game, but I am already lvl 19]

lvl cap is 25 from what I've heard and saw. Console version anyway. Don't know if thats the case for PC.

Ploid 3.0

I really hate low level caps, and a low amount of fight possibilities (started the game over when fights were rare to come by). PC will have a lot of scenario, and level system mods. I bet someone make up new abilities, strengthen the monsters, make a game+ or some other stuff (new equipment?).

Revelations said:
lvl cap is 25 from what I've heard and saw. Console version anyway. Don't know if thats the case for PC.

It's like that on all versions. After you get to 25, the XP needed for the next level is listed as NA. Unless there is some other technical issue, it just looks like the XP tables need to be expanded.

Splatt

Did anyone else get the Superman reference cutscene?
the one where two villagers (female is named Martha) find a baby boy who survived a meteor blow or something and take him as their son.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
nubbe said:
Why is storage needed when you get 120 slots in the inventory?
I'm currently carrying 90/90 and have my storage filled (which I believe is 100 slots) and I could easily pick up more.

Lime

I love this game. It feels like a true high-budget PC game, making me reminisce of the days of old.

Also, I thought the Warden's Keep DLC was pretty good and entertaining, but then again, I got it with my Steam pre-order, so I might not be aware of the cost/benefit value.

Regarding my alleged bug of the Reaching of the Watchguard quest:

As Himuro, completing the quest AFTER finishing the Circle of the Magi main quest, is possible. Apparently I didn't know my character examined the statues, due to there being no response or signal from anything. I just thought I didn't click properly on the statue, and therefore clicked again, and thereby electrifying me. Obviously, this was wrong, and I have now completed the quest after your suggestion. Thanks.

eznark

Banned
I got the game working (stupid Impulse...!)

Now I am facing the rare "I need to think about this" situations in a game. I don't know how I should handle this situation at Redcliffe Castle. All the options seem awesome.

Zertez

Ploid 3.0 said:
I really hate low level caps, and a low amount of fight possibilities (started the game over when fights were rare to come by). PC will have a lot of scenario, and level system mods. I bet someone make up new abilities, strengthen the monsters, make a game+ or some other stuff (new equipment?).
I think that is probably my biggest complaint, outside the bugs. The amount of monsters and variation in game is very small for a rpg. I would love to play a single player rpg that copied the dragon run from NToV in EQ. You got fought dragon after dragon in one zone.

Darkman M

Odd im over 60 hours in and no bugs, i do agree with the level caps and lack of enemy's though im pretty sure they did it for expansion reasons. Hopefully the modding community is at the Oblivion modding community level.

eznark said:
Now I am facing the rare "I need to think about this" situations in a game. I don't know how I should handle this situation at Redcliffe Castle. All the options seem awesome.
Yeah, that's probably the toughest decision I've faced so far in the game.

Spoiler if you haven't finished it:
Though I was disappointed that it didn't matter in the end. They tell you to "hurry" but I got hung up in the mage tower quest for a long time before being able to go back. Maybe if they had actually set a time-limit it would've been good, now it just falls a bit flat since there really isn't any consequence for taking the best option. It's all an illusion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zertez said:
I think that is probably my biggest complaint, outside the bugs. The amount of monsters and variation in game is very small for a rpg. I would love to play a single player rpg that copied the dragon run from NToV in EQ. You got fought dragon after dragon in one zone.

That would be awesome. I lead the top guild on my server back in the Velious days and I can't count the number of times we did NToV. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a single player version of EQ where you could pause it in real time and issue commands to individual raid members ala the infinity engine. It would be pretty difficult managing like 40 - 50 players, but if they scaled that down I think they could make a pretty impressive game. I

Mihku

Really liking the game so far. 30 hours in and I still got lots and lots of stuff to do. Tonight I finished the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest, and near the end I kind of got stuck ...

in the gauntlet bridge puzzle. Seriously what's up with that? I haven't seen a single puzzle in 30 hours of gameplay, and suddenly they throw something like that at you. Mind you, I play the PC version. On the console it's apparently very easy, since you don't have to make every bridge piece solid. I kind of wonder who solved it without trouble. I was about to grab pen & paper to write which pieces each stone activated, but said fuck it and searched for the solution online. Really don't mind a nice puzzle, but this one was worthy of a place in a Myst game.

TheFallen

Mihku said:
Really liking the game so far. 30 hours in and I still got lots and lots of stuff to do. Tonight I finished the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest, and near the end I kind of got stuck ...

in the gauntlet bridge puzzle. Seriously what's up with that? I haven't seen a single puzzle in 30 hours of gameplay, and suddenly they throw something like that at you. Mind you, I play the PC version. On the console it's apparently very easy, since you don't have to make every bridge piece solid. I kind of wonder who solved it without trouble. I was about to grab pen & paper to write which pieces each stone activated, but said fuck it and searched for the solution online. Really don't mind a nice puzzle, but this one was worthy of a place in a Myst game.
how much different is it on PC? The console one you can just put each person on a block on one side and then control a character on the other to make it solid. So easy.

Ventrue

Mihku said:

It was a bit difficult but it once I applied a logical process I got there.
I basically just put everyone on the plates that made the first section solid, then moved them off their plates one by one until I found the person I could move without making it vanish. Find the configuration for the second piece, again see who I can move without it vanishing, etc.

Aedile

Only thing I still find less than stellar is that the non-mage classes are pretty boring to play and don't benefit much* (aside from maybe rogue backstab positioning) from micromanagement. My first playthrough was 3 mages+tank and combat was hella fun; second playthrough with a tank+dps warrior+rogue+mage setup is pretty much just watching the group do its thing.

*Wouldn't mind tactics having a NOT qualifier, such as 'if enemy is NOT stunned/knocked down, use [stun/knockdown skill].'

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, that's probably the toughest decision I've faced so far in the game.

Spoiler if you haven't finished it:
Though I was disappointed that it didn't matter in the end. They tell you to "hurry" but I got hung up in the mage tower quest for a long time before being able to go back. Maybe if they had actually set a time-limit it would've been good, now it just falls a bit flat since there really isn't any consequence for taking the best option. It's all an illusion.

You think so?
If they'd set a time limit, at least for me, the whole sequence would have been a big pain in the ass. Going through the mage's tower alone took a while, then about twice that with the fade on top. As for consequences, I haven't noticed any consequences for any actions in the game beyond what path you end up on or party member influence.

Peronthious said:
You think so?
If they'd set a time limit, at least for me, the whole sequence would have been a big pain in the ass. Going through the mage's tower alone took a while, then about twice that with the fade on top. As for consequences, I haven't noticed any consequences for any actions in the game beyond what path you end up on or party member influence.

And i think this is sad.

Why is it that Bioware games are so limited in this respect?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
lorddarkflare said:
And i think this is sad.

The last time there was a time constraint in a rpg (Fallout) people screamed and bitched because they thought they were being "forced" :lol

TheFallen

Aedile said:
Only thing I still find less than stellar is that the non-mage classes are pretty boring to play and don't benefit much* (aside from maybe rogue backstab positioning) from micromanagement. My first playthrough was 3 mages+tank and combat was hella fun; second playthrough with a tank+dps warrior+rogue+mage setup is pretty much just watching the group do its thing.

*Wouldn't mind tactics having a NOT qualifier, such as 'if enemy is NOT stunned/knocked down, use [stun/knockdown skill].'
Well any melee class will do more damage from behind, not just rogues. Your issue with the lack of micromanagement on melee classes is sort of amusing when you're at the same time asking for another tactics setting to do one of the few things that melee classes need to be micromanaged for. :lol Still, I agree with you on the game needing that setting.

Zzoram

lorddarkflare said:
And i think this is sad.

It's not a limit. People would be PISSED if they only had a certain number of hours to get to certain quests before they became unavailable. Can you imagine game reviewers reactions? It would be Bioware's blood all over their faces.

Peronthious said:
You think so?
I just think it's a shame. As I said, that was the area where I most felt like I had to make a choice that would impact the game world.

Do I kill the boy? Sacrifice the mother? What if that doesn't work? I'd waste a life for nothing. Or do I take the long way around, save everyone, with the risk of the demon gaining strength and killing more people? What if there was no time-limit and going to the mage tower was simply the wrong option if I hadn't already cleared it out? Or I could turn back without the help to salvage what I could of the situation. Instead I just strolled off and nothing really happened anyway.

Right before that I felt like one of my actions had a consequence since I play as a mage. I let the bloodmage out and he created this whole situation. It would probably be the same way if I didn't, and I'm sure I couldn't kill him before even if I wanted. It made me think though that I could have an impact, only to realize later that I've been making the "right" choices along rails.

I'm still enjoying the game, but mainly for the excellent combat. I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the writing and the characters so far. None of my companions really "stand out" like they did in say, Mask of the Betrayer.

Aedile

TheFallen said:
Well any melee class will do more damage from behind, not just rogues. Your issue with the lack of micromanagement on melee classes is sort of amusing when you're at the same time asking for another tactics setting to do one of the few things that melee classes need to be micromanaged for. :lol Still, I agree with you on the game needing that setting.

Well, I guess my point was that there really isn't a need to micromanage melee. Sure, there are benefits, but a lot of the time there isn't anything for melee to do besides autoattack, especially since one properly specced mage can keep all but the largest and most magic-resistant groups in lockdown while doing massive amounts of damage at the same time. I just wish melee had more buttons to push, and more reason for me to push.

Then again, melee didn't do much of anything in BG2 either; mages had all the fun.

bengraven

Fallout 3's mod community member KMA is doing a texture mod!

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=704991&forum=140

Hello everyone, some of you may know me as 4Aces (KMA on the Fallout3Nexus). In case you do not, I specialized in textures with Fallout 3. I will be starting with them in DAO but will be branching out since I now have a full team at my side.

I am going to be starting by upgrading the textures just like I did for F3, except there will not be any need to weather and damage the textures. I should have my first mod out later this week, as it is very simple. I am just optimizing the High textures, and eliminating any bloat that I find. It looks like I will be able to save about 17%+ without altering a single pixel. They will not look any different, just take up less resources and make the game run more smoothly.

Hopefully someone does a mod to remove the muddy background textures.

bengraven

Kind of ridiculous for me to get excited, but his Fallout 3 mods were awesome and helped the game run much better in the end.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
bengraven said:
Kind of ridiculous for me to get excited, but his Fallout 3 mods were awesome and helped the game run much better in the end.
i dont think its that ridiculous. When something like this comes out so soon that gives me the impression that things are fairly easy to work with (havent touched the toolset and stuff yet so i have no idea). Combine the ease of use with the popularity and we should be set with tons of content for quite awhile.

Fredescu

Zefah said:
That would be awesome. I lead the top guild on my server back in the Velious days and I can't count the number of times we did NToV. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a single player version of EQ where you could pause it in real time and issue commands to individual raid members ala the infinity engine. It would be pretty difficult managing like 40 - 50 players, but if they scaled that down I think they could make a pretty impressive game. I
This is what I was hoping Lords of Everquest would be like before it came out, rather than a run of the mill RTS.

I would love to see a NToV style run, and I kinda hope we see mods with that sort of thing in it. After raiding in EQ and WoW I was a little disappointed with the simplicity of the dragons in this one, although I guess I don't really have grounds to say that until I beat them on Nightmare.

bengraven said:
Fallout 3's mod community member KMA is doing a texture mod!
Wow, that sounds really cool. My game runs smooth for the most part, but I get some strange framerate dips sometimes. When I use Shale's stone aura and the heat vents in the Caverns are two obvious ones.

codecow

Dorfdad said:
I understand PC look best but how far off really is the PS3 and 360 versions? Does the PS3 version look that much better or run that much more smoothly than the 360 version?

Whats the official GAF recommendation for this game? I have a good pc however I don't tend to feel like sitting in a stiff chair for hours in a basement on end. I much prefer the 58 Plasma with a Controller in hand upstairs, but I do not wan't to spend more and get crappy performance etc..

this isnt a arugment to start a flame war either. Im just looking for someone who has played on all three to let me know.

My wife plays on the PS3 in the living room, compared to the PC version it looks highly non-optimal if you have a good PC. The overhead perspective is also extremely nice in comparison. She's put more hours into it than I have and when she has seen me play on PC she is immediately jealous.

Ariexv

For those wishing there was better consequences
If you leave Redcliffe after you first visit but before the invasion the town gets wiped out

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ariexv said:
If you leave Redcliffe after you first visit but before the invasion the town gets wiped out

That is nice! im glad i didnt go off and do those side-quests now :lol

edit: oh wait.. those came after. Anyway.. its still good stuff though.

Ariexv said:
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to my evil playthrough so I can see just how much I can affect by messing stuff up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
29ok9du.jpg

Just had this happen when wandering around Denerim. A horde of cats all sitting there meowing randomly. Very odd.

anddo0

Side quest help
I need help with "Places of Power" I've looked up and down the circle tower and can't find it. I've read that it's in the room right after the summoning rituals area, but nothings there.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Been avoiding spoilers but how many different endings are there? There are 6 openings and all that

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Ariexv said:

Yeah,
the guy near the gate says something cryptic warning you of it if you try to leave. I went to camp and came back and they were still there, so I guess you have to actually go somewhere else.

Still having a lot of fun. Shale is awesome. Oh and I had a funny conversation with Morrigan where she was complaining about
the dog putting things in her bag/getting mixed up with her unmentionables if I remember correctly. Anyway there was an option saying, "Couldn't smell worse than what gets put in them every day."
:lol

Ruzai

anddo0 said:
Side quest help
I need help with "Places of Power" I've looked up and down the circle tower and can't find it. I've read that it's in the room right after the summoning rituals area, but nothings there.

Pretty sure that is the right room, I just did that part of the quest today. I wasn't able to find it though while doing the Broken Circle quest, so if you're in the middle of that, you might need to complete it before the spot you mark appears.

Fredescu

xelios said:
Yeah,
the guy near the gate says something cryptic warning you of it if you try to leave. I went to camp and came back and they were still there, so I guess you have to actually go somewhere else.
Going to camp doesn't count as travelling. You never get random encounters on the way to camp, and you'll notice when you travel somewhere else after being at camp, your progress is tracked on the map as having come from whatever location you were at before going to camp.

I initially thought it was you're whole party travelling from place to place and you've set up a different camp just outside wherever you're going to. I've heard comments from companions suggesting that it's a static place rather than different all the time though, so I guess it's just good old convenience. It would be nice if they tried to sell it a little more realistically though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So im still in Redcliffe and im at 100 videos already. i really hope i dont end up going over 1000.. i dont want to rename them all.. only used 000 for my counter ffs :lol

anddo0

Ruzai said:
Pretty sure that is the right room, I just did that part of the quest today. I wasn't able to find it though while doing the Broken Circle quest, so if you're in the middle of that, you might need to complete it before the spot you mark appears.

I've done the Broken Circle. You might be onto something though, I'm at Redcliffe right now trying to
save Connor by requesting help from the circle
. Maybe the two are offsetting each other?

rass

I had some kids gumby glitch in Denerim market district last night haha, the animations stuck and the were gumby style one leg up sliding all over the place. Awesome.

bengraven

iam.rass said:
I had some kids gumby glitch in Denerim market district last night haha, the animations stuck and the were gumby style one leg up sliding all over the place. Awesome.

Ha, I had that error in KOTOR 2 all the time.

My argument that DA is using an upgraded KOTOR engine redeemed a bit. hahaha

Fredescu

Niblet said:
Quick question. If I get the the disc version (PC), can I register the game with Steam?
No.

BanShunsaku said:
I would also like to know this, I've been selling all mine....
There's a sidequest for 10 x Garnet. Other than that I don't know of any use. Pretty sure they're for selling.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Does knockdown mean dead? I have Wynn set to use revival when an ally status is knockdown, but she still doesn't use revival and it's the number 1 tactic on her list. I couldn't locate a dead status in the menu. As so I have purposely switched to her and used a magic potion to make sure she has enough magic and she still doesn't use revival.

Top Bottom