• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
The % complete includes all game content, including all the stuff you can't complete. Like for instance, you only get 1 origin, but all 6 count towards the %. Same with the major decisions, doing something one way blocks the other. So getting 50% complete in one playthrough is about the max, but it accumulates across all your playthroughs.

Protip: If you're looking for a challenge, don't pick a dual wield warrior. Mine did 60% total party damage, not bad for a 4 character group. He'd butcher anything I pointed him at in seconds.

Yeah I got exactly 50% completion with my first playthrough.

Your warrior sounds awesome. I plan on playing a Dwarf Noble dual-wielding warrior next. Can you link your Bioware Social Network character profile so I can see what build / equipment you went with?

Fakto said:
You can't,
you go into the Veil Alone
, and for the moment, no dialogue options to tell her.

Why is that ? You skipped optional quests ?

The % is basically how many achievements you've unlocked.

Archaix said:
I know that a large part of this is related to the fact that I'm playing on a console (can't really pause during combat, poor interface for the game, no overhead view, no real aiming...), but this game is HARD. The only other time I can ever remember putting an RPG on easy was for Arcanum because I got myself stuck in a battle with a non-battle oriented character early on. I had to turn it on easy because I just could not get through some missions.

And that was too damned easy! I've kept it on because I don't want to keep switching back and forth when I get to impossible fights (Seriously, impossible, one killed me within five seconds of entering the room every time I played, no matter what I did I was down to one party member running around for a few seconds then dying), but it is too damned easy. I blew threw way too much of it. Well, I'm not actually finished, but it seems as though I'm right at the end.

There was one point where I was fighting a ton of Darkspawn, and I picked every one but the strongest of each group off with one shot from my bow. By the end of the section, I was laughing at how I'd kill everything while my two fighters were charging in. Of course, had I put it back on normal, I'd have been served as lunch.

I really think "normal" should have been hard, and there should have been a level in between what is now casual and normal. It's not fun on either setting, which is unfortunate.

I'm sure this isn't exactly treading new ground here. Ah well. I rented it from Gamefly for my first playthrough, I'll send it back and maybe some day have a PC that can run it well enough to buy the game and replay it properly.

What you need to do is take control of your tank at the beginning of the match. ALWAYS start off with your tank. Run into the crowd and use taunt to aggro the mobs to you (make sure you go for this skill as soon possible). Then select the strongest enemy and have your tank attack it. From there, switch off to your dps and have them attack whatever enemy is NOT being targeted by the tank (tank will hold the mobs attention due to the aggro move).

You also want to make sure you have lots of health potions, even if you already have a healer(have one of your characters go for the herbalist skill as soon as possible). Make sure you get at least 2 different tiers of potions(lesser/regular, regular/greater, etc), since you can use both at the same time(they don't share the same cooldown timer). I personally have 3-4 different tiers of potions, but that's just me.

As for AI tactics, have all of them (except the healers) start off with:

Self: Health < 50% Use health poultice: least powerful

This should give you enough time to switch characters and pop a stronger potion if the characters are getting pummeled.

And finally, throughout the fight, make sure you constantly go to your tank in order for him/her to pop taunt. You can create a tactic for it, but I find it easier to manually activate the skill.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Archaix said:
I know that a large part of this is related to the fact that I'm playing on a console (can't really pause during combat, poor interface for the game, no overhead view, no real aiming...), but this game is HARD. The only other time I can ever remember putting an RPG on easy was for Arcanum because I got myself stuck in a battle with a non-battle oriented character early on. I had to turn it on easy because I just could not get through some missions.

No Sodd Mead Mug to help you? He carried my pansy ass mage for a time in the beginning :lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I haven't had time to play it, but finally popped it I. Today and played for over 8 hours after work. I'm loving it so far, it's just a shame I have so many games to play and not enough time. :(

BeeDog

Got a question regarding an area in Deep Roads (no spoilers):

Is there anything to do in the first area outside of the city (Andhelan Thaigs or something like that)? I believe I explored it fully, but only got WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT loot there, nothing else.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:

Is there anything to do in the first area outside of the city (Andhelan Thaigs or something like that)? I believe I explored it fully, but only got WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT loot there, nothing else.

You find bones of a demon or some shit. I never completed that quest though. And yeah, I was a little confused myself.

nelsonroyale said:
Attack on Redcliffe at Night = rubbish mission

Yeah that attack on Redcliffe...I kept waiting around thinking something was supposed to happen. Nothing did so I just lured the buggers out myself with rogue and stealth.

BeeDog

Kuro Madoushi said:
You find bones of a demon or some shit. I never completed that quest though. And yeah, I was a little confused myself.

Oh yeah, found the bones, thanks for reminding me. Does anyone know what quest this relates to?

Truant

BeeDog said:

That's an area from the Dwarf origins, I believe. Scaled to your level since it's the first time you enter it.

I had a question about the ashes quest
I wanted to get the Sacrilegious trophy on this playthrough, but I've been using Leliana a lot and I heard if you do it she'll freak out and attack you. If I take her out of my party for that part and replace her with Zevran would that be alright? Or is she just going to flip out later?

Fakto

rainking187 said:
I had a question about the ashes quest
I wanted to get the Sacrilegious trophy on this playthrough, but I've been using Leliana a lot and I heard if you do it she'll freak out and attack you. If I take her out of my party for that part and replace her with Zevran would that be alright? Or is she just going to flip out later?

Yep, if she isn't there, then, no problem. Make sure Wynne isn't there either.

Dead

well not really...yet
goddamn, Orzammer quests and dungeons were just awesome and massive. Easily the best part of the game so far.

In other news, I have Leliana at near max approval (got her the piglet) yet I still can't bed her. I gave up and boned Zevran... And that was enough DAO for tonight...:lol

BeeDog

Are you supposed to only be able to bone one companion per game? I'm pretty sure I've boned both Zevran and Leilana in the same game (without reloads). :lol

Really need some help on this. I'm around lvl 14 and have used Shale as my tank for most of the game but am now swapping back to Alistair but for some reason he absolutely hates me, like -33! What is the best way to get a good approval if its even possible at this point?

syllogism

BeeDog said:
Are you supposed to only be able to bone one companion per game? I'm pretty sure I've boned both Zevran and Leilana in the same game (without reloads). :lol
Of course you can, but Leliana will no doubt soon complain about it

Ventrue

Quicksilva said:
Really need some help on this. I'm around lvl 14 and have used Shale as my tank for most of the game but am now swapping back to Alistair but for some reason he absolutely hates me, like -33! What is the best way to get a good approval if its even possible at this point?
I don't have a suggestion but he can really hate you over some decisions you make in
Redcliffe and what you say to him after.

Saya

I'm at the Circle of Magi and this Fade quest/dungeon where you constantly have to switch between
the shapeshift forms
is turning me off from the game. It's terrible. Not to mention the fact that the enemies are buggy and cheap here, mages just shoot their spells and projectiles through walls...

Saya said:
I'm at the Circle of Magi and this Fade quest/dungeon where you constantly have to switch between
the shapeshift forms
is turning me off from the game. It's terrible. Not to mention the fact that the enemies are buggy and cheap here, mages just shoot their spells and projectiles through walls...

Protip:
Your casters can also shoot through walls. Helps with pulling small groups from larger ones.
:D

Also, the golem is your best friend.

Saya

Masta_Killah said:
Protip:
Your casters can also shoot through walls. Helps with pulling small groups from larger ones.
:D

Also, the golem is your best friend.

How do you shoot through walls? Every time I try I get the message that the target is not in line of sight and then my mage automatically moves to a position that is in sight.
I'm at the part where you play solo, I have to save my other party members in different locations in the fade.

Btw, not sure if it matters, but I'm playing the 360 version.

fanboi

Banned
Saya said:
How do you shoot through walls? Every time I try I get the message that the target is not in line of sight and then my mage automatically moves to a position that is in sight.
I'm at the part where you play solo, I have to save my other party members in different locations in the fade.

Btw, not sure if it matters, but I'm playing the 360 version.

If you use your staff, it will be blocked, but I think if you cast a spell it will go through.

Morrigan quest
tried to attack flemeth, dear god in heaven will not do it again untill 10 more levels or something :)

Doytch

BeeDog said:
Oh yeah, found the bones, thanks for reminding me. Does anyone know what quest this relates to?
Yeah, find them all and you can do something with them, it adds the Asunder quest into your log.
You summon a big demon and fight/deal with him

That's actually my favourite part of the game so far, the sidequests you pick up on your own from reading the codex/exploring. The summoning ones in the Mages' Tower for instance, and there're a bunch in the Deep Roads. Really dig those since it adds so much to the world.

Kinan

Saya said:
the shapeshift forms

Actually, for me it was quite opposite, I liked the new gameplay that switching brings, when you get all forms its actually pretty nice and refreshing. Switching through 3 forms in a single fight is awesome. As for mages, do not be afraid to lure them out of the room they are in, often you will just aggro only few of the pack, making a fight much easier.

Pro-tip:
since HP in Golem form is much higher than in a human form, you can get a free healing for golem just switching back and forth between the forms.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm missing like 95% of the party banter, because I only get like one conversation every 1/2 hour or so. I wish there was a key I could hit that would automatically trigger some banter.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Finished the game last night on about 39 hours, but I didn't get Shale, do Warden's keep, kill Flemmeth or the Dragon in Haven and there are still a few quests I didn't complete so I could see stretching to 45-50 hours no problem. I'm depressed though that the game is over.
Quick quest about the characters. Do each of the characters have their own special side mission? Morrigan has the grimmoire/flemmeth quest, Leilana has the Marjole quest, Sten has something about finding his missing sword, what about the others?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Chairman Yang said:
I'm missing like 95% of the party banter, because I only get like one conversation every 1/2 hour or so. I wish there was a key I could hit that would automatically trigger some banter.
I've always found this a problem with alot of the old IE rpgs eg baldurs gate, planescape torment, let's hope they'll be a banter mod, that triggers them more often.

syllogism

truly101 said:
Finished the game last night on about 39 hours, but I didn't get Shale, do Warden's keep, kill Flemmeth or the Dragon in Haven and there are still a few quests I didn't complete so I could see stretching to 45-50 hours no problem. I'm depressed though that the game is over.
Quick quest about the characters. Do each of the characters have their own special side mission? Morrigan has the grimmoire/flemmeth quest, Leilana has the Marjole quest, Sten has something about finding his missing sword, what about the others?
Oghren, Alistair and Wynne also have short sidequests

Durante

Exploring dungeons and many of the battles in this game really feel like I'm playing an Infinity Engine game, particularly in iso mode. And that's pretty much the highest praise I can bestow on any RPG.

nelsonroyale said:
Attack on Redcliffe at Night = rubbish mission
I disagree. I think I posted a few pages ago about how I thought it was really hard (particularly if you don't want to lose any named NPCs) and really awesome.

Chairman Yang said:
Yeah, sadly it keeps up the Infinity Engine tradition even in that aspect. For the IE games there eventually were mods to increase banter frequency, I hope this will be the case here as well.

This game has a real nasty habit of spawning in enemies from nowhere.

I'm in the dwarven mines right now and every encounter seems to have at least a few enemies pop-up from behind in a previously explored area.

TheFallen

Shouta said:
I find Alistair, Wynne and Morrigan to be a hilarious trio especially after
you bang Morrigan
. The conversations are so amusing. I saw a conversation where Alistair basically whined about his shirt until Wynne gave in and said she'd repair it for him. Another situation is where Wynne found Alistair's dirty sock in her stuff. He puts it on right away because his current one is wet.[/QUOTE]
There's a ton more conversations Alistair and Wynne have about your relationship(s). Both of them are very nosy, it's great! :lol

Doc Evils

I like the way the Abonomations are designed. Creepy:

2d1jy4j.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Chairman Yang said:

Conversations seemed to be triggered when you walk over certain areas. Like the bridge in Lothering. Almost every time i went across a banter took place.

bjaelke

Dead said:
goddamn, Orzammer quests and dungeons were just awesome and massive. Easily the best part of the game so far.
Those spiders that would drop down behind you really scared the shit out of me.

Doc Evils said:
I like the way the Abonomations are designed. Creepy:

The world while I find somewhat generic looking and could easily be considered D&D if you toss the names on it, still has some unique and awesome monster design. The demons are really cool looking.

Dunlop

Gonna cave and pick this up today.

I prefer console gaming to PC gaming (I can get either 360 or PS3). Anything on the PC version that would make me regret this?

Hari Seldon

BattleMonkey said:
Game is so good, making me completely ignore everything else. Even MW2 MP can't hold me away from this.

I know. I cannot stop playing it. When I'm at work I think about it. I haven't had an addiction this bad to a game since the World of Warcraft launch.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dunlop said:
Gonna cave and pick this up today.

I prefer console gaming to PC gaming (I can get either 360 or PS3). Anything on the PC version that would make me regret this?

Mods, higher framerate and textures and resolution? Isometric battle view is also very handy in some fights.
If you have a good enough PC, its denfiniteley the way to go.

Top Bottom