• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

bengraven

1) exactly where are we supposed to put the mods? I downloaded the respec potion, but see no where to put them in my DA folder.

2) anyone get their Amazon goodie codes yet?

Tokubetsu said:
I've burnt at least 2 hours just talking to party members in camp. Sometimes reloading if I piss them off too much.

Same here but I don't reload. Though I did reload for a achievment moment at the end of the circle of magic but only cause a. I had a save right before the boss fight, and b. I didnt know how to save the mages and was curious. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sobriquet said:
I would like to start my second playthrough, but my wife won't stop playing. :(

My wife wont let me play unless she is there to tell me what to say to everyone. Then when its fighing time she just says "do you have to fight?".:lol

That said, I just saw the OP and it is legendary.

CAW

bengraven said:
1) exactly where are we supposed to put the mods? I downloaded the respec potion, but see no where to put them in my DA folder.
I'm not 100% sure about all/other mods but for example the storage mod has the following instructions:

To install the files:

1. Ensure that Dragon Age is not running.
2. Download the .dazip file to your desktop (or wherever you like).
3. Open the “daupdater” program in your \Dragon Age\bin_ship directory (usually C:\Programs\Dragon Age\bin_ship).
4. Drag-and-drop the file to be installed into the updater window; it should appear in the updater window in the “Content Name” column.
5. Select the content in the updater window by left-clicking on it, then clicking the “Install Selected” button at the bottom of the updater window.
6. Once the “Status” column for the content reads “Installed” close the updater.
7. The content should now be available in-game

source: http://social.bioware.com/project/463/#details

Worked fine for me and in game it appears under 'DLC'.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
hermit7 said:
Whats the best strength for a Rogue? I was thinking maxing at 20.
Depends on the approach. Various forums are stilly theory warring on what does better damage, a high strength dual axe wielding rogue or a dex/cunning based dagger rogue.

The good news is the fact that its inconclusive at the moment means you aren't badly gimping yourself by going one way or the other.

You can go daggers, low strength, high dex/cunning. Just pump your strength barely high enough to keep up with whatever light/medium armor you want to wear.

Or you can go full dual wielding large weapons in which case you want to keep your dex and cunning as low as possibly while still meeting the pre-reqs for skills/talents and pump strength sky high

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well i got to the Fade section.. its pretty much impossible for my character. The forced solo combat with a handful of poultice isnt going to cut it. The worst thing about it is i would have to reload from the very start of the Tower. Am i missing something obvious to allow me to get past without fighting? Cant enter purple Fade doors while in combat so stealthing to them doesnt work.

Number 2 said:
Well i got to the Fade section.. its pretty much impossible for my character. The forced solo combat with a handful of poultice isnt going to cut it. The worst thing about it is i would have to reload from the very start of the Tower. Am i missing something obvious to allow me to get past without fighting? Cant enter purple Fade doors while in combat so stealthing to them doesnt work.
What's your class? Did you lower the difficulty?

You get more abilities further ahead that makes that whole area ridiculously easy (spells, healing etc.).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Number 2 said:
Just set it to easy, you should be able to do it fun, and you get new forms. That should be able to fix the weaknesses of your MC.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Danne-Danger said:
What's your class? Did you lower the difficulty?

You get more abilities further ahead that makes that whole area ridiculously easy.

Rogue on Nightmare. 3 pots left lol. And that one demon i cant even do enough damage to because he Drains Life up to full off of me. Cant stun to do backstabs either :(

edit: so its looking like lowering difficulty only way to go. Guess im going to have to redo the tower and stock up on pots and throwing items.

Number 2 said:
Rogue on Nightmare. 3 pots left lol. And that one demon i cant even do enough damage to because he Drains Life up to full off of me. Cant stun to do backstabs either :(

edit: so its looking like lowering difficulty only way to go. Guess im going to have to redo the tower and stock up on pots and throwing items.

Yeah, I agree while I love the Rogue class it's a thinking mans class

(I killed an entire enemy group 5 Hurlok + Alpha with traps and poisons solo last night :D with party in wait mode down the road )

It is not a class for extended weapon on weapon combat against multiple enemies in the least.

Artadius

Started my second playthrough as a Dwarf Rogue. First playthrough was as a Human Warrior.

I've got pickpocketing up to 3rd rank and I'm rolling in the cash. I almost had two gold already before going into the Wilds before the battle of Ostagar lol. Going to be bypassing taking lockpicking consequently. I don't ever remember finding anything that special in locked chests (and I opened almost all of them).

Shale should be able to force open chests though for what it's worth ;)

Combine

Banned
Well, I'm really enjoying the game for sure. But the abrupt spikes in difficulty leave a lot to be desired. Best example was going to Redcliffe first on the map. The story seems to drive you in that direction though its still choice, but damn, I was dying left and right at that place. It's shameful, but I had to lower the difficulty to Easy several times just to get through things. I hate how you don't get many potions.

Playing as a Warrior really sucks ass, there's like no benefits to it at all really. I'm not doing much more damage than one of my Rogue NPC's are.

Oh, and am I doing something wrong here, but whenever my guy finishes killing an enemy, I have to manually click on another for him to attack again. This sucks, because when there are nearby enemies he should just attack the nearest one.

Trying to play this game legitimately on Nightmare on the PC is akin to punching yourself in the nuts and liking it. I'm not sure it's possible, due to the sheer amount of abuse involved.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Combine said:
Oh, and am I doing something wrong here, but whenever my guy finishes killing an enemy, I have to manually click on another for him to attack again. This sucks, because when there are nearby enemies he should just attack the nearest one.

If you have Tactics turned off they will not auto-attack next enemy.

Combine

Banned
Number 2 said:
If you have Tactics turned off they will not auto-attack next enemy.
lol, I didn't even realize there was an on/off switch for that thing. Haha. Serves me right. Although, I could have sworn my NPC's are using tactics, especially Morrigan since I have her healing.

Coldsnap

wayward archer said:
Yes. There is a part at the end where this is important to do. Not a HUGE spoiler (no plot stuff), but a spoiler nonetheless:

During the final battle you control the party members that are not with the main character in a large fight. Make sure you level them up too, because you instantly get dumped into combat and can't access the level up screen until the fight is over

Ahh okay thanks for this.

Fredescu

They got this bit wrong: "including the $15 (but free for preorders) Stone Prisoner expansion"

Which pretty much means a fuckton of Warden's Keep sales.

I must be doing something wrong. I got the Ashes for the Arl of Redcliffe. Gone back to the Castle (the Journal says "Use it on Arl Eamon to heal him". I go to his room and nothing. I can't click on him or use the ashes. What are you supposed to do? The Journal is fucking useless. In fact my main problem with the game is the vagueness of some of the quests and the directions on how to complete them.

Shouta

Slackbladder said:
I must be doing something wrong. I got the Ashes for the Arl of Redcliffe. Gone back to the Castle (the Journal says "Use it on Arl Eamon to heal him". I go to his room and nothing. I can't click on him or use the ashes. What are you supposed to do? The Journal is fucking useless. In fact my main problem with the game is the vagueness of some of the quests and the directions on how to complete them.

Talk to Teagan unless the douche is missing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Slackbladder said:

Talk to Teagan(sp?) in the main hall. He should be the one with the giant white arrow pointing over him when you look at your map. The one that tells you exactly where to go :lol

I do agree about some of the quests, mainly the side quests. I never seem to know where I'm supposed to be going for a lot of them, they reference places that weren't even on the map before you accepted the quest too much.

So I bought the standard version via Steam... I thought every version had a copy of the Stone Prisoner? I've registered the game, but the game is still saying I need to buy it.

Any ideas?

Zeliard

Fredescu said:
They got this bit wrong: "including the $15 (but free for preorders) Stone Prisoner expansion"

Which pretty much means a fuckton of Warden's Keep sales.

I hope that everyone is downloading and installing The Stone Prisoner, especially since it's free with every new purchase. It's unfortunate to think that some people won't get to experience the best character in the game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Combine said:
Hmm, is it just me, or is the barmaid Bella in Redcliffe the most "appealing" female character in the game? :lol
I agree with you.:lol but not hard to achieve, considering most of the female models are terrible.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
DayShallCome said:
So I bought the standard version via Steam... I thought every version had a copy of the Stone Prisoner? I've registered the game, but the game is still saying I need to buy it.

Any ideas?
View your game CD key, the codes should be there i assume.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Any tips to keeping aggro on the tank? Currently using alistair (went from wildlands to redcliff) and mobs are crawling all over everyone even when he has threat on. People assisting the tank using tactics or what?

Nif

offtopic said:
Any tips to keeping aggro on the tank? Currently using alistair (went from wildlands to redcliff) and mobs are crawling all over everyone even when he has threat on. People assisting the tank using tactics or what?

Use Taunt, too. A lot. Having a mage cast sleep will keep things under control, too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Number 2 said:

You can hit the lyrium veins to refill your health and stamina during combat. If you've got stealth, you can hang around for a while and wait for them to refill. It can take a long time though.

The part with the stone golems is a damned bitch. I spent about fifteen minutes with three of them chasing me around a square hallway while I tossed fireballs at them when they were far enough for me to cast without getting smacked. I was out of potions entirely, can't believe I made it eventually without lowering it to easy...yet

Darkman M

offtopic said:

Taunt?

Fredescu

offtopic said:
Keep threaten on and get the Taunt ability as soon as you can. It's AE and very handy. Initially I set up assist tank tactics, but now I just go Select All > Attack after something dies. Shale gets a handy single target taunt too, which can be useful for peeling guys off your ranged folk.

Zeliard said:
I hope that everyone is downloading and installing The Stone Prisoner, especially since it's free with every new purchase. It's unfortunate to think that some people won't get to experience the best character in the game.
I will squish its head if it does not install me.

Combine

Banned
Hmm, something odd I've found. I'm signed up on the Dragon Age social forums, but I cannot seem to find my character as if I never uploaded one. But I was never really given the option to upload my character as I recall after creating him.

Can you only upload characters from the creator stand-alone?

EDIT: Bwhhaha! never mind! I take a look after I post and he's there. But damn, it took freaking forever for him to show up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Beat the last boss. That last battle was epically stupid. Why can no western RPG developer create compelling fun bosses?

Slackbladder said:

You will have to deal with the daftness of the quest text pretty much the entire game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zeliard said:

Dude, that's Alistair. :)

Combine

Banned
I actually like Dog a lot. His animations and mannerisms are pretty cute, especially when interacting with the NPC's. :lol

But yeah, the banter between Morrigan and Alistair is simply golden.

Zeliard

luxarific said:
Dude, that's Alistair. :)

Alistair tried to be the best character in the game. Oh, did he try.

And had Bioware decided not to bless us with Shale, he would have been.

But alas, it wasn't to be.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
luxarific said:
Socks, schmocks, his dialogue always makes me laugh.

How you can find Alistair funnier than Shale and Zevran blows my mind.

Zeliard said:
Alistair tried to be the best character in the game. Oh, did he try.

And had Bioware decided not to bless us with Shale, he would have been.

But alas, it wasn't to be.

Even without Shale, Zevran is still a better character than Alistair. The dialogue between Wynne and Zevran is fucking priceless.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
Even without Shale, Zevran is still a better character than Alistair.

Those are my three favorite characters and I've been using that exact trio ever since I got Zevran (I can afford to since my guy is a mage). The only person I'd possibly consider replacing one of them with is Oghren, but that probably won't happen this playthrough. I've got my foursome.

Oghren and Zevran, I'd imagine, probably have some fun banter with each other.

Top Bottom