• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Xamdou said:
So the Wardens keep dlc has extra storage for items, how much can it hold?

I don't think there's a limit - I have approximately 300-ish items in there.

My only problem with Warden's Keep is that

1.) you can't get back in the castle once you leave it after making your decision
concerning the mage's research
- so make sure you have enough inventory slots open to get all the special weapons/items you find in the castle before leaving.

2.) it'd be nice if you could take the chest with you to camp. I hate having to run back across the entire map to the Keep every time I want to access my chest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
Those are my three favorite characters and I've been using that exact trio ever since I got Zevran (I can afford to since my guy is a mage). The only person I'd possibly consider replacing one of them with is Oghren, but that probably won't happen this playthrough. I've got my foursome.

Oghren and Zevran, I'd imagine, have some fun banter with each other.

Did I mention my male city elf boned Zevran? Now that made for even more awesome dialogue.

Question: Is it possible to get
Starfang
without Warden's Keep? I have the DLC, but I was just curious.

I know it's already been said, but the banter between party members is hilarious!

The back and forth between Morrigan and Oghren has been particularly funny...

"It's leering at me again!" :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:
Did I mention my male city elf boned Zevran? Now that made for even more awesome dialogue.

Question: Is it possible to get
Starfang
without Warden's Keep? I have the DLC, but I was just curious.

I'm just annoyed my male hume noble can't bone him. Although I've read rumors that it might be possible to get him in a threesome, given the right affinities/dialogue choices.

Zevran is just a little too stereotypically latin lover-ish for my tastes.

I do not believe it's possible. Starfang comes with the Keep DLC, to the best of my knowledge.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BanShunsaku said:
I know it's already been said, but the banter between party members is hilarious!

The back and forth between Morrigan and Oghren has been particularly funny...

"It's leering at me again!" :lol

The best is when Wynne tries Oghren's ale, and she's like

"amazing flavor...and an ingredient I can't place..."
"yes?"
"cloves?"
"CLOVES! A woman after my own heart! If I weren't suited to fight, I'd take you around the corner and...well, you know."
"Give me more ale?"

luxarific said:
I'm just annoyed my male hume noble can't bone him. Although I've read rumors that it might be possible to get him in a threesome, given the right affinities/dialogue choices.

Zevran is just a little too stereotypically latin lover-ish for my tastes.

I do not believe it's possible. Starfang comes with the Keep DLC, to the best of my knowledge.

Zevran being the latin lover without a conscience makes him absolutely hilarious. I honestly love everything he fucking says. It's god damn hilarious. I honestly disliked the 360 port strongly, but I'm willing to play through again just to see what else he says.

Zeliard

This game definitely needs a mod that increases the amount of banter, though. I don't want it to happen all the time, obviously, since I'm sure the lines are limited. But it doesn't seem to happen quite enough.

thetrin

Zeliard said:
This game definitely needs a mod that increases the amount of banter, though. I don't want it to happen all the time, obviously, since I'm sure the lines are limited. But it doesn't seem to happen quite enough.

When it does, I tend to stop my entire party and wait for the convo to finish, merely because I don't want it interrupted by cutscenes or battle. I can see the mod completely fucking up the flow of the game (unless you can tune it)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yeah, sometimes I just stand around waiting for them to say something witty.

Although usually it's always when I'm moving or about to open up a merchant transaction.

thetrin

MrPing1000 said:
So err, me a dual wielding rogue, tank, morrigan, and dog/rogue/warrior

How to stop everyone sucking via tactics? :p

If your tank is Alistair, take him out. He's a fucking useless asshole. put in someone like Shale instead. I pumped up Alistair's CON for the final dungeon, and he STILL sucked. Dude is a fucking dumbass.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
MrPing1000 said:
So err, me a dual wielding rogue, tank, morrigan, and dog/rogue/warrior

How to stop everyone sucking via tactics? :p

Easy way: Go get Wynne. :)

Hard way: level up Morrigan so she has sleep+horror or sleep+waking nightmare, or some other area effect spell. Also level up someone's herbalism skill and make a ton of potions (mageroot at the elves' camp; flasks sold in your camp; lyrium dust/power sold at the dwarves, I think) or make sure to train Morrigan in the healing spells.

Train the rogue in stealth and traps and use him/her to lead mobs back to trapped ambushes where the rest of your team is lying in wait.

thetrin

luxarific said:
Easy way: Go get Wynne. :)

Hard way: level up Morrigan so she has sleep+horror or sleep+waking nightmare, or some other area effect spell. Also level up someone's herbalism skill and make a ton of potions (mageroot at the elves' camp; flasks sold in your camp; lyrium dust/power sold at the dwarves, I think) or make sure to train Morrigan in the healing spells.

Train the rogue in stealth and traps and use him/her to lead mobs back to trapped ambushes where the rest of your team is lying in wait.
Wynne is basically fucking awesome. She was a mainstay in my team the minute she appeared after Ostagar.

Lothars

thetrin said:
If your tank is Alistair, take him out. He's a fucking useless asshole. put in someone like Shale instead. I pumped up Alistair's CON for the final dungeon, and he STILL sucked. Dude is a fucking dumbass.
I disagree I think Shale is alright but overal I prefer Alistair, he seems to be the better fighter.

DayShallCome said:
So I bought the standard version via Steam... I thought every version had a copy of the Stone Prisoner? I've registered the game, but the game is still saying I need to buy it.

Any ideas?

Grab the CD key from Steam, make sure you have a bioware social account, go to the code redeem page and put in the CD key, then restart the game. All three DLC (that come with the standard Steam version) should be there.

thetrin

Lothars said:
I disagree I think Shale is alright but overal I prefer Alistair, he seems to be the better fighter.

Maybe mine was uniquely retarded. I only ever had party wipes when he was in my party.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:
Wynne is basically fucking awesome. She was a mainstay in my team the minute she appeared again.

Seriously. I was sort of annoyed as she's not my favorite character, but her healing/petrify powers make dealing with mobs so much easier it's not even funny. I basically use her and Morrigan all the time. It's not that bad dialogue wise since they REALLY hate each other.

thetrin

luxarific said:
Seriously. I was sort of annoyed as she's not my favorite character, but her healing/petrify powers make dealing with mobs so much easier it's not even funny. I basically use her and Morrigan all the time. It's not that bad dialogue wise since they REALLY hate each other.

Can you bone Wynne? I wondered the whole game, but her dialogue trees are all "tell me about the circle" and "oh ho hum being a grey warden is haaaard"

luxarific

Nork unification denier
luxarific said:

And that's actually one of the other things I like about the game. We're not one little happy family. I really like how you have to manage/trade off tensions in your party and I'm looking forward to making the (Landsmeet spoiler)
choice between Alistair and Loghain
. I wish you could have both of them in the same 4-man party, however - would make for some kick ass dialogue, I'm sure.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
thetrin said:

Alister does great in my parties.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:
Can you bone Wynne? I wondered the whole game, but her dialogue trees are all "tell me about the circle" and "oh ho hum being a grey warden is haaaard"

Nope, no boning Wynne. I think Bioware thought it would have been in bad taste as she's
basically dying
. Or maybe it's because she's old?

I'm level 14, using my rogue who's an assassin and a duelist. I also use wynee all the time because she's a healer, I use sten most the time (using two handers), and the last spot I swap around -- honestly, morrigan is probably best in it, because mages are, I feel, overbalanced in this game compared to the other classes.

that said, I use leliana here because I like the concept of a bard with songs and stuff and archery, even though the songs pale compared to morrigan's spells and archery seems to do minimal damage, even with a good bow and lots of skills invested. I guess I just "Like" her better even though morrigan is more useful in most fights.

couple random thoughts: what the hell is the point of shapeshifting? I've purchased all of the shapeshifting skills for morrigan, because I assumed early on that it's her signature spellset and thus they must be good. but, honestly, shapeshifting seems to suck. I can't find a use for it. the spells in her human form are just too good to give up for the limited usefulness of the animal forms. and because they take so long to cast, they aren't something useful you can jump to to adapt quickly to a situation within a fight.

cool sten story:
sten frequently bitches if I do sidequests or pursue anything unrelated to the darkspawn. one time he got so pissed that he fought me. I beat him, and as a result gained approval. the guy's like a klingon.

thetrin said:

Haven't had any problems with Alistair once I cleared 3 of the dungeons. By then, he becomes very good with his taunt and aoe dispels. Before clearing my 3rd dungeon, I went with a tank, offtank/dps, dps, cc group. Just had to stock up on potions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
_tetsuo_ said:
Alister does great in my parties.

Same with me. Shale just dies really quickly when I have him using Stone Aura, even with constitution up high and equipped with flawless stones. And then you have to unfreeze him to make him take a potion. It's a pain. I can just set Alistair loose and he can basically take care of himself. He has an annoying tendency to steal boss-ending animations however, grrr.

So how does post game DLC work? I know you can only go to DLC areas once you've beaten the game, if I bought Warden's Keep could I just load up my finished save and play it?

thetrin

Are you guys playing PC? On 360, Shale is a fucking beast. The guy has never died in my party. He ruins people so quickly. Alistair is a dumbass and runs into fights he can't finish.

Doesn't bother me, though. Shale is far cooler, anyway.

Zeliard

Lothars said:

They're both pretty great to have together, because they can both effectively tank and deal damage, which makes them a great dual distraction. I have them switching roles at times depending on the situation. Both usually use their enemy aggro abilities so that nearly every enemy focuses on those two, while Zevran goes around arrowing people in the face and stealthily backstabbing, and my mage busts out some healing and the occasional devastating spell.

I've been able to go through Hard quite handily (PC version of course) with my main mage, Alistair and Shale, with Zevran recently replacing Morrigan. And after the dexterity hotfix, Zevran's archery is just killer, and I have him constantly switching between long-range and short-range. And even Shale has long-range abilities, albeit limited, with his rock throwing. My crew is quite versatile, and hilarious.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
HorribleJames said:
couple random thoughts: what the hell is the point of shapeshifting? I've purchased all of the shapeshifting skills for morrigan, because I assumed early on that it's her signature spellset and thus they must be good. but, honestly, shapeshifting seems to suck. I can't find a use for it. the spells in her human form are just too good to give up for the limited usefulness of the animal forms. and because they take so long to cast, they aren't something useful you can jump to to adapt quickly to a situation within a fight.

cool sten story:
sten frequently bitches if I do sidequests or pursue anything unrelated to the darkspawn. one time he got so pissed that he fought me. I beat him, and as a result gained approval. the guy's like a klingon.

I have never successfully shapeshifted Morrigan :lol. I think I'm doing something wrong - she waves her hands in the air and you see a bar, but it always conks out and flashes about 2/3 of the way up for me. I think I must have some mana-sapping issue going on.

Sten is amusing, but there are so many tanks in your party (Alistair, Dwarf-guy, Shale) that I haven't really used him. I like the cut-scene where he growls with the Dog.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
thetrin said:
Are you guys playing PC? On 360, Shale is a fucking beast. The guy has never died in my party. He ruins people so quickly. Alistair is a dumbass and runs into fights he can't finish.

Playing on PC, everyone's tactics are turned off. I control my destiny.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:

360 for me. Shale is just constantly dying. There must be some stat I'm missing for him. I've been pumping points into Strength and Constitution, but maybe it should have been willpower? Dunno.

The party dynamics between Wynne and anyone else are awesome. I just heard an extended conversation between her and Alistair concerning a wayward sock belonging to the latter, only moments after they were discussing my sex life :lol

Fredescu

thetrin said:
You're controlling them all you know? If he's running into fights he can't finish, it's your fault. Shale is definitely cooler though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
rainking187 said:
So how does post game DLC work? I know you can only go to DLC areas once you've beaten the game, if I bought Warden's Keep could I just load up my finished save and play it?

DLC areas are accessible as soon as you buy and download them. Shale's village appears on your map and the Warden's Keep guy shows up in your camp. Just talk to him to head there. I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know what that's like.

luxarific said:
I have never successfully shapeshifted Morrigan :lol. I think I'm doing something wrong - she waves her hands in the air and you see a bar, but it always conks out and flashes about 2/3 of the way up for me. I think I must have some mana-sapping issue going on.

Sten is amusing, but there are so many tanks in your party (Alistair, Dwarf-guy, Shale) that I haven't really used him. I like the cut-scene where he growls with the Dog.

the shapeshifts have a long cast time. if you hit any buttons or perhaps get attacked by an enemy it will interrupt the cast. it's not very practical to switch forms in the middle of a fight, which is why I'm saying the forms are useless.

Zeliard

Shake Appeal said:
If you want to use Alistair, get all of his sword and shield upgrades. That is all.

Yeah, get the shield defense talent and shit for Alistair and he becomes a rock.

Edit: And the Grey Warden armor from Warden's Keep, which you can wear at a low level.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HorribleJames said:
couple random thoughts: what the hell is the point of shapeshifting? I've purchased all of the shapeshifting skills for morrigan, because I assumed early on that it's her signature spellset and thus they must be good. but, honestly, shapeshifting seems to suck. I can't find a use for it. the spells in her human form are just too good to give up for the limited usefulness of the animal forms. and because they take so long to cast, they aren't something useful you can jump to to adapt quickly to a situation within a fight.[/spoiler]

I used shapeshifting a few times in the early parts of the game when Morrigan ran out of mana and I didn't have any lyrium potions, but the spider and bear forms seem fairly useless for the most part. This is especially true later on in the game when you get some really powerful magic and never have a shortage of lyrium potions. Honestly the whole shapeshifter thing seems pretty half baked.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
HorribleJames said:
the shapeshifts have a long cast time. if you hit any buttons or perhaps get attacked by an enemy it will interrupt the cast. it's not very practical to switch forms in the middle of a fight, which is why I'm saying the forms are useless.

Does it only work while fighting? I'm trying to shapeshift outside of combat - that might be the reason.

I did like her spider in the trailer, but I've never seen what it looks like in-game. :lol

I wish my gray warden looked as cool as the one in that trailer too. :/

Just finished Orzammar, thank god. The latter half was such a trudge. They could've lopped off a couple sections on the Deep Roads map and it would've been much better.

And I love how they tout the game as being this serious dark fantasy, then you get to the end of Orzammar and
the Paragon golem looks like something Blizzard cooked up

And am I ever going to find a cool assassin-looking suit of light armor? The only stuff I find makes me look like a Roman soldier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
Just picking up the Golem. So glad I read Stolen Throne before playing the game.

I bought the ebook version off Amazon ($10, ouch) because I wanted to absorb more of the Dragon Age universe after I completed the game once. I am only about 100 pages in at the moment and while the writing quality isn't very great (I am just coming off my second reading of the A Song of Ice and Fire series), the story has been fairly entertaining.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
eznark said:
Just picking up the Golem. So glad I read Stolen Throne before playing the game.

I read it, but it made Loghain's
actions in the game all the more confusing for me. I just don't see him betraying Maric's son by leaving him to die, even if he hates the Wardens. Maric is his best friend in the Stolen Throne. It just doesn't make sense.

I have yet to read the sequel, The Calling, though. That might shed some more light on why Loghain did what he does in the game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zefah said:
I bought the ebook version off Amazon ($10, ouch) because I wanted to absorb more of the Dragon Age universe after I completed the game once. I am only about 100 pages in at the moment and while the writing quality isn't very great (I am just coming off my second reading of the A Song of Ice and Fire series), the story has been fairly entertaining.

I started Game Of Thrones for my 2nd time while i was waiting for my copy to show up. Really sets the mood... And I played the Dwarf noble which seems to be really taken from ASoIaF..

Zefah said:
Ugh i almost regret reading "The Calling" now. It skewed my view of the universe so hard and made the ending of the game a bigger let down. Or maybe its the choices I made.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Confidence Man said:
And am I ever going to find a cool assassin-looking suit of light armor? The only stuff I find makes me look like a Roman soldier.

Kill drakes and take their scales
to a certain armorsmith in the capital. Killing the big dragon in the Ashes quest gets you even cooler armor.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zeliard said:
Loghain doesn't have nearly enough scenes in the game, at least so far, considering who is actually voicing him. :p

Who does his voice? I liked Alistair's VA and of course Claudia Black is fantastic. I haven't recognized the Tuvok actor though. But Janeway is
Branka
, right?

I wish the outtakes on the CE DVD were audio outtakes from the recording sessions instead of video glitches. :/

thetrin

Fredescu said:
You're controlling them all you know? If he's running into fights he can't finish, it's your fault. Shale is definitely cooler though.

I set the tactics to largely the same as Shale, and Shale comes through every time. Alistair usually loses.

It may be my fault, but I guess I know how to control Shale, but not Alistair.

Top Bottom