• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Durante said:
I'm way ahead of you. My character is a schizophrenic sociopath bitch. She's just exactly as nice as the people around her demand. I've got the backstory for it and everything! :lol

Hey, that is my bitch as well. Is yours a dwarf noble?

Durante

lorddarkflare said:
Hey, that is my bitch as well. Is yours a dwarf noble?
Nah, elven mage. Dragged from a slave live in the slums into the cutthroat world of circle (apprentice) politics, it would be surprising if she were not a sociopath, no? :p

(FWIW, on my second playthrough I want to try either a genuinely good dwarven warrior or a genuinely evil human rogue)

demifiend

If you have gifts for your characters, how do you give them? I've got a growing stockpile of them and I would like to hand them out, if for no other reason than to clear inventory space.

Plasma

Banned
demifiend said:
If you have gifts for your characters, how do you give them? I've got a growing stockpile of them and I would like to hand them out, if for no other reason than to clear inventory space.

Go into your inventory screen, change your character as though you were going to change their equipment, find the item you want to give them then right click and the option should be there.

demifiend said:

In the inventory screen, drag them to their portrait.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
demifiend said:

Just in case you are playing on a console and not PC, to give the gifts just select the character you want to give it to, and use the item (X on PS3, I'm assuming A on 360)

Zeliard

Number 2 said:
The problem with not trying to get max influence with your party members is that you lose out on quests involving them. This wouldnt be an issue if a different set of unique quests came about if you had a low approval rating or middle of the road with them.

It's fine to go after high approvals with certain characters, but you'll just give yourself a headache trying to max them all out. The game isn't designed for you to experience everything on one playthrough.

Tom Penny

Stupid bug in Orzammar. If you accidently try to help both sides you can't go any further? What the fuck kind of bullshit is that? I can't progress the story further as far as I know. Terrible bug.

Ikuu said:
One of my biggest issues with the game is the choice of companions, and the specializations seem a bit weak. Next playthrough I'll roll a healer and be a Good character, I would be a complete dick this one but without Wynne I'd be screwed.
Morrigan heals quite fine. Ive only used Wynne when i was forced to do so. I hate when people feel they are "forced" to take particular party members. But i honestly think the game isnt THAT hard if you are patient enough with pull mobs back to a secure location and just generally using potions/traps/poisons to your advantage.

Zeliard said:
It's fine to go after high approvals with certain characters, but you'll just give yourself a headache trying to max them all out. The game isn't designed for you to experience everything on one playthrough.

True, and you cannot, but one can at the least get to the point where all the sidequests can be done and all party members at least 80+

spats

Just beat the game. Took around 27 hours.
I liked the ending in how it gave closure to all your actions a lot like Fallout did. I screwed up a whole bunch of things and left me curious as to how they could be resolved differently
, so I'm already kinda itching for a second playthrough. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tom Penny said:
Stupid bug in Orzammar. If you accidently try to help both sides you can't go any further? What the fuck kind of bullshit is that? I can't progress the story further as far as I know. Terrible bug.

I think you can force your way through the dialog loop. I got stuck on one bit as well and thought I was screwed.

lorddarkflare said:
Since you are also playing as a rogue, what is your party? I am using Shake, Morrigan and Wynne.

Same actually. Shale makes a great tank. Of course, Morrigan is out until I need her for combat because I don't want to piss her off. :lol

lorddarkflare said:
True, and you cannot, but one can at the least get to the point where all the sidequests can be done and all party members at least 80+

Actually, it is possible, especially if you find the unique gifts and pursue all the romances. I love how the game rewards you for being a (man)slut. :lol

The only one I couldn't do was a certain character you can obtain late in the game... but that's because of the way the game sets him up I suppose.

syllogism

Did anyone find <brilliant> crystals for shale? According to the guide they exist and I find it pretty odd I didn't get any despite doing everything in the game.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there a limit to how many different characters you can have playing simultaneously on a given 360 profile?
Don't know exact limit but I'm sure you can create one character for each story line at same time. So, at least six.

Mindlog

End Game related.

Anyone else disappointed with how poorly Elven Archers perform against the Archdemon? They were tickling him. Worst army easily. At least the dwarves/humans lasted a little while. I think the mages did some damage, but I only had 4 left by that time :lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just reading through the thread, I saw at least one other person saw a similar problem but with a different storyline than mine. Is it common knowledge/a common problem that the ending text shows things that couldn't possibly have happened as a result of the actual end of the game?

In my ending, Alastair and the Queen got married. Which was the plan, were it not for the fact that he ended up kinda dead. I saw somebody else who posted that their ending referenced Morrigan's baby, when they didn't actually choose that path either.

syllogism

Mindlog said:
End Game related.

Anyone else disappointed with how poorly Elven Archers perform against the Archdemon? They were tickling him. Worst army easily. At least the dwarves/humans lasted a little while. I think the mages did some damage, but I only had 4 left by that time :lol
I saved all the armies for the archdemon and it died before I even had a chance to deploy anything besides the dwarves :( They lost only a few guys too

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lsslave said:
Quick question: As someone who will NEVER purchase DLC, does it hinder the game a lot? I mean, I will literally never spend a CENT on DLC, so I am very curious as to how important DLC is to this game (with its insultingly early release as well, showing that it probably could have been included)
Shouldn't have to worry to much, considering the 'essential' DLC you need comes included with every new copy of the game anyway.
Wardens keep is a nice extra if you happened to buy the 'deluxe edition' as-well as the items. (which kinda un-balance the game anyway, best to not have them).

jabipun

spats said:
Just beat the game. Took around 27 hours.

What the fuck? How is this even possible? I'm at 35 hours at it says i've only seen like 33% of the world. (with an overall completion of 35% )

AND I'VE completed all the origin stories before I chose to stick with one playthrough which further increased that percentage.

Anyway, so - I've been playing Dragons Age. And then I check out the FF13 thread - you know, cus I used to enjoy FF, and for some reason everything I see, hear, read about FF13 just seems so fucking retarded.

Oh, WRPG's, how you're vastly superior.

jabipun said:
What the fuck? How is this even possible? I'm at 35 hours at it says i've only seen like 33% of the world.

AND I'VE completed all the origin stories before I chose to stick with a playthrough which further inceased that precentage.

Anyway, so - I've been playing Dragons Age. And then I check out the FF13 thread - you know, cus I used to enjoy FF, and for some reason everything I see, hear, read about FF13 just seems so fucking retarded.

Oh, WRPG's, how you're vastly superior.

Oh boy, must resist...

Minsc

Gold Member
DAOrigins2009-11-14 15-43-42-81.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-14 15-44-02-99.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-14 15-44-11-40.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-14 15-43-27-13.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-14 15-45-10-10.jpg

Just started last night, playing a pretty boy human noble origin (been watching too much Bones lately), who seems to fit the story surprising well, not knowing what it'd be able going in.
I think I spent more time looking at all the menus and characters screens than in the game so far :lol

Absolutely love the engine. Runs incredible, has its moments and it handles the transition from the third person view to the isometric view perfectly.
Really hope we see more games with this engine, I'm sure it's got a lot more under the hood than what we see in this game. Everything is shiny, and flashy and super-fast to load.

Playing on hard first time through, with the dagger/archer patch (even though I am playing a warrior). If it feels too easy, I'll go to nightmare, but I hope I don't have to for a while.

Minsc said:
Absolutely love the engine. Runs incredible, has its moments and it handles the transition from the third person view to the isometric view perfectly.
Really hope we see more games with this engine, I'm sure it's got a lot more under the hood than what we see in this game. Everything is shiny, and flashy and super-fast to load.
Yup! Easily the best thing about the DA. Everything feels right for this kind of game. Though I still wish I could zoom-out more and pan the camera further, probably an easy thing to fix.

Here's to hoping Obsidian picks it up for a new and improved 6 person party RPG!

Doytch

Tom Penny said:
Hmm, I must've gotten lucky. I started with Bhelen, talked to Harrowmont right after, did both Bhelen's first task, and then Harrowmont's second task. Then both asked me to find Branka, I did, (...redacted...) and finished the story.

Uncle

syllogism said:
Did anyone find <brilliant> crystals for shale? According to the guide they exist and I find it pretty odd I didn't get any despite doing everything in the game.

I found a brilliant crystal on a random encounter trader. I think it was a small fire. I didn't buy it, because I was low on gold and didn't have a large crystal to go with it.

Oh, and I feel slightly cheated: I slept with my three options (
Leliana, Morrigan, Zevran
) on the same night at camp, one after the other, not even breaking for food/water/a nice sit down. I didn't get an achievement for that sheer and - some would say - astonishing feat of endurance.

markot said:
Can someone give me tips on
killing the dragon in the urn quest
he is hard >.<!

Yeah: don't do it first time around. I went back when I was level 17 and it was a piece of cake (attacking from behind by rushing, Shale using boulders from afar, Morrigan casting tempest over him, Wynne buffing us all constantly, if memory serves).

vareon

I defended the village from
those living corpses thingy
at level 7-8ish and was overwhelmed on normal. I think I should've better gone elsewhere first instead of Redcliffe :(

Tokubetsu

Minsc said:
Just started last night, playing a pretty boy human noble origin (been watching too much Bones lately), who seems to fit the story surprising well, not knowing what it'd be able going in.
I think I spent more time looking at all the menus and characters screens than in the game so far :lol

Playing on hard first time through, with the dagger/archer patch (even though I am playing a warrior). If it feels too easy, I'll go to nightmare, but I hope I don't have to for a while.

I'm also incredibly impressed with the engine. Just wait till later, some incredible stuff going on in there, especially in Orzimmar. As far as difficulty goes,

Cone of Cold is kind of overpowered. I've got one of my caster's tactics set to "Enemy Status > Frozen/Paralyzed > Stonefist" which is an automatic Shatter if it crits which is around 7/10 times. My rogue also has below the belt which will shatter if my backstab crits don't :lol

Also, if you're playing with dex patch, prioritize archers or at the very least, do not turn your back to them. They can drop your cloth wearers FAST and do some serious damage to tank.

Tokubetsu

markot said:
I thought it all leveled with you >.<?

Enemies do but having certain skills, specializations etc will make it easier. I tried to do it at around 11/12 my first go round and it was just too rough. Went back at 15 and kicked it's ass.

vareon said:
I defended the village from
those living corpses thingy
at level 7-8ish and was overwhelmed on normal. I think I should've better gone elsewhere first instead of Redcliffe :(
I did it at level 8 on Nightmare and it was still easy. I just could not keep the NPCs in the village alive (damn you llyod).

Mardil

I'm Brecilian Forest after chasing the werewolf to some underground ruins... I confronted my first dragon but can't seem to do more than 1/10 damage to him... any ideas? I'm level 8 and I'm using Morrigan, Alistar and my War Dog.

vareon

lorddarkflare said:
I did it at level 8 on Nightmare and it was still easy. I just could not keep the NPCs in the village alive (damn you llyod).

Or maybe I just suck :lol well saving the villagers is really damn hard though.

Mardil said:
I'm Brecilian Forest after chasing the werewolf to some underground ruins... I confronted my first dragon but can't seem to do more than 1/10 damage to him... any ideas? I'm level 8 and I'm using Morrigan, Alistar and my War Dog.

I was level tenish on nightmare. I had my dwarf tank him with Alistair and Sten DPSing him and Morrigan spamming heals.

I had indomitable on Sten which prevented him from getting knocked back when it does it's area attack. Sten would agro it, my dwarf would taunt again, spam heals...repeat.

I was definitely around level nine or ten at the time though on nightmare. Not sure what manner of difference that makes. Morrigan's spells didn't seem to do much so that's why i made her heal the entire time.

hayama987

Managed to kill
urn quest dragon
at lvl 11, only hard part was healing through the stupid grab attack cause it was guaranteed death for my dual wielding warrior haha. Question though for anyone, is there a good quest for 1handed weapons ? Think I'm still using some flaming axe and a crappy dagger offhand for a long time now.

hayama987 said:
Managed to kill
urn quest dragon
at lvl 11, only hard part was healing through the stupid grab attack cause it was guaranteed death for my dual wielding warrior haha. Question though for anyone, is there a good quest for 1handed weapons ? Think I'm still using some flaming axe and a crappy dagger offhand for a long time now.
Minor spoilers:
Going through the dwarven tunnels gives you a pretty good axe.

Mage tower has a nice mace in the shop on the first floor (~10g).

Fredescu

hayama987 said:
Question though for anyone, is there a good quest for 1handed weapons ? Think I'm still using some flaming axe and a crappy dagger offhand for a long time now.
The Unbound quest. I don't remember how it starts, but you end up killing some hard guy for a nice 1h sword.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
syllogism said:
I found one or two and I've seem them for sale in the dwarf city

Himuro said:
38 hours and I've still only had the mages join. I've really only been doing sidequests.

I haven't gotten the ashes, or have the Dalish or Dwarves join me.

Should be an 80 hour game for me.

What? By the time you have Wynne, you should also have most of your party minus like 2.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Fredescu said:
The Unbound quest. I don't remember how it starts, but you end up killing some hard guy for a nice 1h sword.

Find 2 adventure corpse (one in urn quest one in the werewolf ruins area) then go to dwarf area tavern. There will be a nervious adventurer after talking to him go to Denerim and head to the dirty alley or something (forget the name), go in the new door there and bam. Just gotta kill the fella and he drops the 2nd best sword in the game (1st if u got a 2hander from the star metal quest).

looking for a good dagger for the elf assassin, using 2 dragon bone Crow daggers runed out atm.

So this is quite fun. Love the acting and the writing and the combat. All aces. Very solid mythology and all that.

But holy canoli this is one ugly 360 game.

Tokubetsu

BenjaminBirdie said:
So this is quite fun. Love the acting and the writing and the combat. All aces. Very solid mythology and all that.

But holy canoli this is one ugly 360 game.

:pcgaming master race:

Top Bottom