• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I am tired of this crap.

I think i am going to respec Morrigan as a healer and drop Wynne altogether.

My god, not only is she dull, but she is the only party member that i have to drag around and i cannot satisfy both her and Morrigan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lorddarkflare said:
My god, not only is she dull, but she is the only party member that i have to drag around and i cannot satisfy both her and Morrigan.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about from before when it comes to the implementation of morality in this game. :lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
lorddarkflare said:
I am tired of this crap.

I think i am going to respec Morrigan as a healer and drop Wynne altogether.

If you walk around with Wynne and Z...whatever elf dude's name is, you get a pretty amusing conversation about Wynne's bosom. I only had them in my party at the same time once because I wanted speciifcally to carry elf dude along on a quest with me (I found him pretty useless overall, I was a rogue myself). That, and Wynne's healing powers come in handy like crazy compared to Morrigan's shapeshifting. Wynne can revive knocked out party members, which is something I didn't find possible without her. Maybe I missed an item along the way somewhere that can achieve the same goal, though.

firehawk12 said:
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about from before when it comes to the implementation of morality in this game. :lol

I have always had a beef with Bioware and Morality since KOTOR, ME pissed me off plenty, but no where near as much as DA.

I hate having to be a slave to a meter (quite possibly the worst part about morality systems.).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lorddarkflare said:
I have always had a beef with Bioware and Morality since KOTOR, ME pissed me off plenty, but no where near as much as DA.

I hate having to be a slave to a meter (quite possibly the worst part about morality systems.).

Well, at least I know I'm not insane. I thought I was the only one. :lol

It helps that some of the maps let you change characters on the fly. But Denerim doesn't... so you have to trudge to your camp and then come back if you want to do certain missions that are guaranteed to offend certain characters.

syllogism said:
I finished the game with everyone at 80+ approval, most at 100

I 100%'ed everyone. My original point though is that :
a) having a bar telling you how much someone likes you is silly.

b) it makes you look like an asshole "playa" or a schizophrenic sociopath, because you change your opinion on every issue based on who is around you.

c) there's no advantage to having someone dislike you.

firehawk12 said:

It helps that some of the maps let you change characters on the fly. But Denerim doesn't... so you have to trudge to your camp and then come back if you want to do certain missions that are guaranteed to offend certain characters.

The only thing that annoys me more than the Morality, are the sub-optimal builds that the NPCs come with. Ugh.

firehawk12 said:

You guys actually try to please everyone? Hey man im the leader of the party if they dont like it they can fuck off!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
kafka rock opera said:
You guys actually try to please everyone? Hey man im the leader of the party if they dont like it they can fuck off!

:lol

Agreed. You don't like what I did? I'm sorry, did I miss the part where you are the silent protagonist with options on where we go? No? Good. Then shut the fuck up and take this half-eaten cake that the dog found somewhere and like it. Here, he found some worn out underwear too. +3 heart? You fucked up pervert. I'm glad you didn't like what I did.

syllogism said:
What, you need to min/max npcs too?

Yes, yes i do. Luckily, i found the respec mod.

Now Morrigan is going to be my healer, and Wynne is getting benched.

The funny part of all this this is that my dwarf is actually a pretty nice chick, i just do not liked being forced to be nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
syllogism said:
What, you need to min/max npcs too?

We're gamers playing an RPG and posting on NeoGAF. Of course we min/max NPCs. :lol

Archaix said:
:lol

Agreed. You don't like what I did? I'm sorry, did I miss the part where you are the silent protagonist with options on where we go? No? Good. Then shut the fuck up and take this half-eaten cake that the dog found somewhere and like it. Here, he found some worn out underwear too. +3 heart? You fucked up pervert. I'm glad you didn't like what I did.

I'm too OCD to play that way. On my rogue playthrough, I thought I'd try to skip recruiting certain party members in Lothering because I wouldn't need them... but before I left, I changed my mind and went back to get them. I just couldn't do it. :p

Zeliard

kafka rock opera said:

Seriously, what is this fixation people have with getting everyone's approval ratings as high as they get? :lol

That defeats the entire purpose. Let it play out how it plays out. If you're trying to manage the feelings of each companion individually, when a single plot decision you make can make one happy and piss off another, it's no wonder you're finding it a hassle. It's not something you're meant to continually manage given how differently companions act to what you do (and say)

If you're playing a guy who makes self-serving, "bad" decisions, then you can't expect Wynne to ever be happy with your character, and that's how it should be.

syllogism

lorddarkflare said:
Yes, yes i do. Luckily, i found the respec mod.

Now Morrigan is going to be my healer, and Wynne is getting benched.

The funny part of all this this is that my dwarf is actually a pretty nice chick, i just do not liked being forced to be nice.
You could just use exp cheat instead, that's what you are doing anyway
firehawk12 said:
We're gamers playing an RPG and posting on NeoGAF. Of course we min/max NPCs. :lol
I'm probably the biggest min/maxer around but you do it within the conditions you are given

Yeah let me just go ahead and say you guys are missing out on Alistairs/morrigans disapproving rants about my bad decisions. And you cant get those while appeasing everyone.

firehawk12 said:

I'm too OCD to play that way. On my rogue playthrough, I thought I'd try to skip recruiting certain party members in Lothering because I wouldn't need them... but before I left, I changed my mind and went back to get them. I just couldn't do it. :p

I know what you mean.

It also does not help that in real life, i try to please everyone around me, so that is the personality that my dwarf has taken. SO far, everyone loves me, and i would like to keep it that way.

Since you are also playing as a rogue, what is your party? I am using Shake, Morrigan and Wynne.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
lorddarkflare said:
I know what you mean.

It also does not help that in real life, i try to please everyone around me, so that is the personality that my dwarf has taken. SO far, everyone loves me, and i would like to keep it that way.

Since you are also playing as a rogue, what is your party? I am using Shake, Morrigan and Wynne.

My party was Dog, Wynne, and then a third character depending on what I needed. I was a dual weilding rogue that did crazy damage based on cunning, so I didn't usually need another offensive weapon. Morrigan was often there, sometimes another rogue for ranged attacks if I didn't feel like whipping out my bow.

syllogism said:
You could just use exp cheat instead, that's what you are doing anyway

I'm probably the biggest min/maxer around but you do it within the conditions you are given

No, that is silly.

That is my normal policy and the one reason why i have held off dropping Wynne.

Archaix said:
My party was Dog, Wynne, and then a third character depending on what I needed. I was a dual weilding rogue that did crazy damage based on cunning, so I didn't usually need another offensive weapon. Morrigan was often there, sometimes another rogue for ranged attacks if I didn't feel like whipping out my bow.

Are you playing Pc? Nightmare? Dex hotfix?

syllogism said:
Well the alternative is cheating (respeccing npcs) so

Well, i have no issue with cheating. I am currently using the Hardcore mod with Dex hotfix on nightmare, so making the game easy for myself is not the question.

Have you any idea how it feels not to be able to use poultices?

Zeliard

Archaix said:

Doesn't seem like most anyone really ever uses Dog. :(

Every time people list their parties, Dog is rarely ever one of the members. Sten, too, seems to be rarely chosen. Oghren as well, but that's more understandable since a lot of people won't get him until later on.

I'm gonna try to use them on another playthrough.

Zeliard said:
Doesn't seem like most anyone really ever uses Dog. :(

Every time people list their parties, Dog is rarely ever one of the members. Sten, too, seems to be rarely chosen. Oghren as well, but that's more understandable since a lot of people won't get him until later on.

I'm gonna try to use them on another playthrough.

Sten and Dog are both sub optimal unless you are playing on Normal or on a console.

syllogism

lorddarkflare said:
Nope. It depends on how you spec him.

Rogues can have higher DPS than warriors + they carry Utility.
Warriors get more health/stamina per level, can dual wield as well and regardless mages are better than both. Four mages, though impossible, is optimal, you just have to come back with a rogue to loot the chests.

Finally finished it - 33 hours, 360 version, flitting between Normal and Easy (when I got irritated with certain battles). I did a lot of the quests - every major one, most minor ones. I ignored a few of the Irregulars ones, though, and the random Friends Of The Mages (or whatever they were called) ones. Fetch Quests were, by the time I got around to them, the least interesting part of the game by far. I did every Character quest bar Sten as well, because he was just dull as piss.

Loved it. Would buy a sequel in a heartbeat, especially if
the same party returns in some form, and I get to meet (fight?) my God of a child.

syllogism said:
Warrior get more health/stamina per level, can dual wield as well and regardless mages are better than both. Four mages, if impossible, is optimal, you just have to come back with a rogue to loot the chests.

Yes, so it is a matter of roles. Warriors have a role as do Rogues. Besides My flavor of Min/Max is based on not hassling me more than necessary in-game (and get the best from the story). To that end, i would always have a rogue.

This is true. But since impossible. 3 mages and either a Rogue for the loot or a warrior for threat management is best.

syllogism

lorddarkflare said:
Yes, so it is a matter of roles. Warriors have a role as do Rogues.

This is true. But since impossible. 3 mages and either a Rogue for the loot or a warrior for threat management is best.
What, and waste 4 talent points on lockpicking? That sounds pretty suboptimal.

syllogism said:
What, and waste 4 talent points on lockpicking? That sounds pretty suboptimal.

That is with the assumption that being optimal is a combat-only affair.

As i said before, i Min-max differently than most (for one, i never grind).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
whatevermort said:
Finally finished it - 33 hours, 360 version, flitting between Normal and Easy (when I got irritated with certain battles). I did a lot of the quests - every major one, most minor ones. I ignored a few of the Irregulars ones, though, and the random Friends Of The Mages (or whatever they were called) ones. Fetch Quests were, by the time I got around to them, the least interesting part of the game by far. I did every Character quest bar Sten as well, because he was just dull as piss.

Loved it. Would buy a sequel in a heartbeat, especially if
the same party returns in some form, and I get to meet (fight?) my God of a child.

I loved Sten's sidequest.

By the time I found his sword, it was weaker than the one I found just prior. So I sold his super special sword that he had me prance around not quite middle earth for. He didn't so much seem to care. Found that a hilarious example of the game trying to make something important and failing, which happened a fairly good amount

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Quick question: As someone who will NEVER purchase DLC, does it hinder the game a lot? I mean, I will literally never spend a CENT on DLC, so I am very curious as to how important DLC is to this game (with its insultingly early release as well, showing that it probably could have been included)

lsslave said:
Quick question: As someone who will NEVER purchase DLC, does it hinder the game a lot? I mean, I will literally never spend a CENT on DLC, so I am very curious as to how important DLC is to this game (with its insultingly early release as well, showing that it probably could have been included)

Well it could have been made outside the cycle of the normal game, so essentially it was extra work not covered by the game's budget with the understanding that it would be sold separately.

But no, you are not missing much.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
lsslave said:

You will, rightfully, become pretty furious with the DLC in this game. There's a character who pops up and does a whole lot of talking about his very important quest, and then at the end you find out the only way to do this quest is by buying the DLC. I didn't buy it, though, and from what I hear that quest isn't all that worthwhile anyway. You'll miss out on some storage space, which is a bitch because the storage space in this game is really scarce, but I don't know how frequently I would have used the chest anyway. Assuming you'd have to travel back and forth to get at it, it would be a bigger inconvenience than the item limit.

Ruzai

kafka rock opera said:

I agree with this to an extent, but it's sort a function of the potential party's diversity. For something like Baldur's Gate, if Monteron or Xzar threw a tantrum, they'd be killed and replaced with Imoen, Dynaheir, Edwin, or one of the other dozen recruitable thieves and mages. In Dragon Age it feels as though pandering to Wynne, at least enough to keep her neutral, is a necessity because she's the game's sole healer. The whole of the party's balance just seems a bit out of whack, there's what, six warriors versus the two each of rogue and mage?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zeliard said:
Seriously, what is this fixation people have with getting everyone's approval ratings as high as they get? :lol

That defeats the entire purpose. Let it play out how it plays out. If you're trying to manage the feelings of each companion individually, when a single plot decision you make can make one happy and piss off another, it's no wonder you're finding it a hassle. It's not something you're meant to continually manage given how differently companions act to what you do (and say)

If you're playing a guy who makes self-serving, "bad" decisions, then you can't expect Wynne to ever be happy with your character, and that's how it should be.

The problem with not trying to get max influence with your party members is that you lose out on quests involving them. This wouldnt be an issue if a different set of unique quests came about if you had a low approval rating or middle of the road with them.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
lorddarkflare said:
Well it could have been made outside the cycle of the normal game, so essentially it was extra work not covered by the game's budget with the understanding that it would be sold separately.

But no, you are not missing much.

DLC is an irritant to me, I don't mind an "expansion pack" but I find DLC disgusting, it is an excuse for devs to release an incomplete game and for the "full experience" you have to pay MORE for it.

Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite PS3 game, the game that got me INTO SRPGs (which was followed up by Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, I will do the Wii one after I find a copy of the Gamecube one since they are a series) and I won't even touch its DLC

Edit:

Archaix said:
You will, rightfully, become pretty furious with the DLC in this game. There's a character who pops up and does a whole lot of talking about his very important quest, and then at the end you find out the only way to do this quest is by buying the DLC. I didn't buy it, though, and from what I hear that quest isn't all that worthwhile anyway. You'll miss out on some storage space, which is a bitch because the storage space in this game is really scarce, but I don't know how frequently I would have used the chest anyway. Assuming you'd have to travel back and forth to get at it, it would be a bigger inconvenience than the item limit.

Seems like by using "storage" they can force the DLC buyer, which only makes me madder. Definite no buy of DLC now :lol But thanks for the information, and if its really not that important it seems easier to avoid :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ruzai said:
In Dragon Age it feels as though pandering to Wynne, at least enough to keep her neutral, is a necessity because she's the game's sole healer. The whole of the party's balance just seems a bit out of whack, there's what, six warriors versus the two each of rogue and mage?
One of my biggest issues with the game is the choice of companions, and the specializations seem a bit weak. Next playthrough I'll roll a healer and be a Good character, I would be a complete dick this one but without Wynne I'd be screwed.

Durante

firehawk12 said:
it makes you look like an asshole "playa" or a schizophrenic sociopath, because you change your opinion on every issue based on who is around you
I'm way ahead of you. My character is a schizophrenic sociopath bitch. She's just exactly as nice as the people around her demand. I've got the backstory for it and everything! :lol

Top Bottom