• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ravien56 said:

If you liked Mass Effect, you'll enjoy this game. It's much different than ME but it sticks pretty close to the Bioware "formula", if you're like me and have only played their console games, you'll find that it's most similar to KOTOR when it comes to character upgrades and combat. When it comes to loot, there isn't much random stuff you can find, most of your best equipment comes from special quests in my experience so far.

Justinian

Loot isn't overabundant, and there are lots of lower class generic loot that you continue to find through the game. However, there is a nice balanced feel to loot progression for most of your characters. Combined with the enchanting and unique sets you have to collect, its all pretty satisfying I find. Not broken like Fallout 3 or Oblivion's loot.

The focus of the game is not on loot anyhow.

Satanyoka

Banned
I should stop reading this thread. I only have F3 GOTY to hold me down till the 19th. And that game freezes like a motherfucker. :mad:
So hyped.

Justinian said:
Yes you can get the achievements like that. But why would you want to spoil for yourself the joy of replays?

Because there are 4 endings and i only plan to play through it 3 times for each class. Surely that is enough good sir?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Last time I played, at the camp site I got the
Leilana singing scene. It was kind of awkward, honestly, it sounded nice but the unfortunately robotic Bioware animation made it look pretty damn silly. Her mouth wasn't even moving half the time. But...it cracked me up when it showed Morrigan, she just shook her head in disapproval. Funny shit.

Fredescu

Mashing said:
Ugh... I had to drop the difficulty down to easy because, for some reason my non controlled characters will stand there and do nothing even though they have both a tactic and behavior setup to atelast do SOMETHING. I notice this especially after they recover from being stunned or knocked down. I don't mind pausing, but I don't want to pause every few seconds.

Or maybe, I just don't have my tactics setup right.
Do you have 'hold' on by mistake? If you do, under your party portraits there will be a picture of a hand. If you're on PC, click it or press H, and it will change into a running man. This means that all the characters will follow the controlled characters lead, and they will auto attack any aggressive enemies.

Turning hold on is very handy for setting up ambushes or scouting (or sacrificial pet pulls if you're cheesy like me). Once you pull the enemies into camp though you have to turn it off or your guys will stop attacking when the enemy gets pushed out of their melee range by the general movement of combat. You've told them to hold so they won't shuffle around as the enemy shuffles around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
Last time I played, at the camp site I got the
Leilana singing scene. It was kind of awkward, honestly, it sounded nice but the unfortunately robotic Bioware animation made it look pretty damn silly. Her mouth wasn't even moving half the time. But...it cracked me up when it showed Morrigan, she just shook her head in disapproval. Funny shit.

Yeah... song aside that cutscene was pretty cringe-worthy. The facial animation in particular was awful and I think they generally do a decent job with facial animation in the dialogue scenes.

Lothars

leng jai said:
How is the quality of the CE guide? Worth buying?

I like it, it's hard cover and basically the special CE Guide is basically background on the world, if you are interested in the guide, I would recommend to go for the CE Version.

Zefah said:
Yeah... song aside that cutscene was pretty cringe-worthy. The facial animation in particular was awful and I think they generally do a decent job with facial animation in the dialogue scenes.

Really?

I think that the head and body movements(as well as the lip animation) serve to draw you away from the fact that the facial animation is not that hot.

Much better than most though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
beat it
loved it
want more

and I'm curious about somethign in the end
if you don't make the god baby with Morrigan, is there no after battle epilogue thing because you die? Or does some other deux ex machina prevent you from dying at the last minute anyway?

Mashing said:
Ugh... I had to drop the difficulty down to easy because, for some reason my non controlled characters will stand there and do nothing even though they have both a tactic and behavior setup to atelast do SOMETHING. I notice this especially after they recover from being stunned or knocked down. I don't mind pausing, but I don't want to pause every few seconds.

Or maybe, I just don't have my tactics setup right.
I used to have that problem until I set everyone to 'agressive' in the tactics screen in the upper right corner. The default was for them to not go attack something unless they were being attacked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
slayn said:
beat it
loved it
want more

if you don't make the god baby with Morrigan, is there no after battle epilogue thing because you die? Or does some other deux ex machina prevent you from dying at the last minute anyway?

I used to have that problem until I set everyone to 'agressive' in the tactics screen in the upper right corner. The default was for them to not go attack something unless they were being attacked.

Regarding the ending
I read that your character dies and in the end Alistair (or whoever you chose to rule) will give some kind of eulogy for you. I am pretty sure you can still go back and play the DLC even after that, though.

Mindlog

slayn said:
beat it
loved it
want more

Related entirely to your post.

End Game Related Major Spoilers DO NOT read if you have not completed the game.
My character died. I couldn't play after the death, but I still got the info of her walking into the mountains with a child. It could have been some other man's child or just one she randomly snatched up. It also could have meant she knew she was pregnant long before she made the offer in Redcliffe. She knew she was going to have to take the child and disappear into the wilderness. The whole Olde Soul crap was just a cover. I had to complete the game without Allistair or Morrigan. PITA. Stupid ass Allistair took some excellent gear with him.

I've been replaying as a mage, if I could respec I'd shift all my talents to support an arcane warrior. I didn't mind the fade the first time around, but as a mage I am really liking it.

Fade related mini-gameplay-spoilers
I'm practically speed running through the fade levels and I didn't even bother rescuing my team before tackling the final boss.

That was a mistake. I slowly learned how to shift between forms to conserve life, maximize attack and maximize lyrium vein use. However, one mistake or vulnerable form and it's instant death. Pretty frustrating killing 4 daemon forms only to get instant zapped by the spirit form.

So is the (Sten related)
Quanari invasion DLC or the next game?

Dipper145

I just finished the dwarven part. Is it just me, or is does getting the aid from the dwarves take a lot longer than any of the other ones? There are so many things you have to do for it.

I'm done for tonight though, the landsmeet and probably the rest of the game will be done tomorrow.

I think my game time is at like 36 hours.

JayDubya

Banned
I hope the difficulty ramps back up here, because I'm playing on Nightmare at L15 now, done only the quests in the introductory city areas for Dwarfville and Elfopolis, and starting the Brecilian Forest... right now, things are a bit pointless and I marginally have to pay attention.

Those two boss fights in Haven sure were something, though. Quite difficult.

Tokubetsu

Dipper145 said:
I just finished the dwarven part. Is it just me, or is does getting the aid from the dwarves take a lot longer than any of the other ones? There are so many things you have to do for it.

I'm done for tonight though, the landsmeet and probably the rest of the game will be done tomorrow.

I think my game time is at like 36 hours.

I'm doing the dwarven one and yes, it's taking fucking forever. Granted, I never care for dwarves in fantasy games/settings but jesus christ, did they have to make it the longest one? I just want to get to the landsmeet! The werewolf one has been my favorite so far, especially after the plot twist. The urn quest was also fun too, and really clever IMO.

Also, having Alistair and Wynn in your party is the greatest thing ever. It's like questing with your younger brother and your mother/grandmother.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've just got Wynne and she is a god send, why couldent Bioware give you a healer NPC a bit earlier.

Set her up with some good tactics and its good to go, I swaped Alistair for Shale, as I plan to have Morrigan and Alistair in my party next game.

Anyways I took a break when MW2 came out, but am already sucked back in.

Fredescu

JayDubya said:
I hope the difficulty ramps back up here, because I'm playing on Nightmare at L15 now, done only the quests in the introductory city areas for Dwarfville and Elfopolis, and starting the Brecilian Forest... right now, things are a bit pointless and I marginally have to pay attention.
The start of every area is too easy. It's the problem with the Bioware midgame system that lets you choose where to go first. Your first level, wherever you go, starts out easily to let you get used to the combat. You get the hang of it and the pace ramps up as you finish the end of an area. Then you start another area and it goes back to being easy at the start again.

I want a party of me (DW Warrior Dwarf), Alistair, Morrigan and Shale, but if Alistair is going to tank, what should I do with Shale? Should I make him a melee DPS, or go the buff path?

syllogism

Fredescu said:
The start of every area is too easy. It's the problem with the Bioware midgame system that lets you choose where to go first. Your first level, wherever you go, starts out easily to let you get used to the combat. You get the hang of it and the pace ramps up as you finish the end of an area. Then you start another area and it goes back to being easy at the start again.
Nah, it's just bioware not properly balancing the difficulties on consoles at all

koji

Guys can someone answer this for me pls. Does the approval rating change for characters you leave in your camp? Will Morrigan be affected by choices I make while not in party and so on?

I'ld love to take Leliana with me to (try to) up my approval rating with her a bit but I don't want to take an archer with me (and I don't want to install the DEX fix or respec mod atm)

Mindlog said:
So is the (Sten related)
Quanari invasion DLC or the next game?

spoiler spoiler spoiler for those not done.
Expansion i'm hoping, makes perfect sense to invade now, the country is in ruins.

koji said:
Guys can someone answer this for me pls. Does the approval rating change for characters you leave in your camp? Will Morrigan be affected by choices I make while not in party and so on?

Doing particularly heinous things can cause problems back at camp, even if you don't have certain party members with you. It's rare and you will intuitively know when you're doing something that might later cause issues.

They dumped down the Sacred Ash invisible bridge puzzle on consoles? Amazing

I saw this too, not a big deal though. It's not a difficult puzzle and making something that is simple even simpler isn't really dumbing things down too much.

Hark

Finished it last night on PS3 with a DW Warrior Dwarf Commoner making mostly the "good" choices. While the game certainly has some bugs, I really enjoyed it. Once I got the hang of the tactics and aggro systems the game devoured me.

I played through on casual so I could digest the story without too much worry and get the bulk of the trophies. Either today or tomorrow I plan on making an evil Human Mage that kills everything in his way.

Acidote

Is Leliana's quest random to trigger? I've already
given her both flowers
and talked about everything but it doesn't seem to start. I don't have a romance with Morrigan either.

Hobbun

Main file, when you download this file, make sure you also downloaded patches. Patches added more textures in hd.

This is the description next to the HD textures. What 'patches' is he talking about downloading as well? Are there official patches from Bioware already for the game?

Durante

He's basically planning to release new textures every few days, but he won't always make a new package containing all of them (which would waste a lot of bandwidth). Rather than that he'll release "patches" that add a few textures, something like <10MB each or so. The first one of those is out already.

Nif

I've been hitting a lot of bugs lately, like items thinking they're other items, and cutscenes acting strangely. I was supposed to be automatically zoned in one, but I stayed in the same room. The NPC acted like we were in a different room, and leaned against something even though there was nothing there.

I also bought two tomes for spells/talents, one for mages and another for rogues/warriors. When I tried to eat the one for my rogue, the game thought it was a mage tablet and wouldn't let me.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Is that the mod from the guy who said that he would release a texture pack that optimize the textures something like 17% without changing one pixel? If so, how much of a performance increase is there?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Acidote said:
Is Leliana's quest random to trigger? I've already
given her both flowers
and talked about everything but it doesn't seem to start. I don't have a romance with Morrigan either.

You need to talk to her about her past and say something about bards being spies or spies coming from her home. At camp later she'll say she was lying about her past and tell you the truth. Next will be a random encounter that leads you to the final location in her quest.

Hobbun

Durante said:
He's basically planning to release new textures every few days, but he won't always make a new package containing all of them (which would waste a lot of bandwidth). Rather than that he'll release "patches" that add a few textures, something like <10MB each or so. The first one of those is out already.

Oh, I see what you are saying, the patches are a collection of a certain amount of previous textures he's already has done.

So going to your link, he already has one patch with an additional (single) texture completed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Durante said:

Im gonna wait for full release.

Acidote

Warnen said:
You need to talk to her about her past and say something about bards being spies or spies coming from her home. At camp later she'll say she was lying about her past and tell you the truth. Next will be a random encounter that leads you to the final location in her quest.

The thing is that I already talked with her about that, but she's never talked to me about
her lies

I think I'll end up passing on her for my next playthrough with a lady.

Hobbun

Durante said:
Almost, actually that "patch" contains something like 45 or so new textures.

Well yes, I figured the patch had numerous textures in it.

Anyone know how well this will work with the work 4Aces is doing in reoptimizing the textures? Could you use both of these together?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hobbun said:
Well yes, I figured the patch had numerous textures in it.

Anyone know how well this will work with the work 4Aces is doing in reoptimizing the textures? Could you use both of these together?

Oh thats who i was thinking of. i think im going to pass on this mod. Actually i was going to pass anyways since i dont like installing mods mid-game :lol im probably going to wait for the 4Aces one since that one is talking more about optimizing rather than just using higher quality textures.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man... Orzammar is huge. Have been slow playing so far, just got Oghren

EDIT: Oghren's comments... :lol :lol :lol :lol!!!!

Durante

Acidote said:
The thing is that I already talked with her about that, but she's never talked to me about [/spoiler]her lies

Awww:
56bedf2c5b.jpg

(Btw, I unlocked her quest line right before that)

Hobbun

Number 2 said:
Oh thats who i was thinking of. i think im going to pass on this mod. Actually i was going to pass anyways since i dont like installing mods mid-game :lol im probably going to wait for the 4Aces one since that one is talking more about optimizing rather than just using higher quality textures.

Actually, reading up on some of his posts, he indicated not only is he going to reoptimize the textures, but add hi-res ones as well. So I think I may wait, also.

Wiggum2007

JayDubya said:
It's funny how that whenever Dwarves kiss, they immediately conjure up the ability to levitate. :lol

:lol Yes. I did notice though that the girl in the Redcliffe Tavern actually knelt down to kiss my dwarf character. He's put his stilts on in every other such situation though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Acidote said:
The thing is that I already talked with her about that, but she's never talked to me about
her lies

I mentioned it before, but this quest is bugged if you are in a romance with Leliana and your approval is too high.

If that is the case, you need to break up with her to get the dialog that triggers the quest.

Nif

hours.jpg

I think I'm nearing the end. I haven't been rushing through it, but I'm not really going too far out of my way for quests, either. Recently I've been trying to get better gear and consumables for the rest of the game, so that might've stretched it out a few hours. If you judge a game by entertainment per hours, good lord. I still have to do the other origins, at least.

That includes idle time I've left the game on, but my in-game counter is well over 50 hours now, so a lot of the rest was probably lost time reloading.

Top Bottom