• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Today, i watched a vid of someone romancing Morrigan, and i was disgusted.

Seriously, why the hell did she turn to mush? The only text choices that should have allowed you to continue were the ones where she completely dominated you.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Amir0x said:
god that singing part was teeeeeeeeerrible

last time i attempt a lesbian affair in a videogame, gross.
I still have not seen the 'singing' scene, despite sleeping with her over 3 times.

Do you start getting side quest later on in the game, Im maybe like three hous in and have been going through the main story line only.

Amir0x

Banned
also this game is killing me on hard. I am playing 360 version but I feel like I'm just missing something essential.

I am constantly switching control around my group, to heal up the assholes who typically go down in fights in seconds. I've got The Main Character (City Elf Rogue), with Alistar, Morrigan and Leliana. Alistar seems to have the biggest problem staying alive... I don't know if I should just impede the shit out of him with heavy armor or what.

And the difficulty swings wildly at the craziest times. I was on the
trail for the Sacred Urn
, and I decided not to help
the cult
. All throughout the dungeon, pretty easy. Just take the
Drakes down one at a time
. But, once I had to fight
Kolgrim and his group? Fuuuuck! It ended with all of my characters dead except Morrigan, who won the battle only by being chased throughout the entire length of the dungeon, sporadically shooting ice at Kolgrimm until he died.

And in the
Elf Forest
, which is the first place I went after the City Elf Origin story, goddamn the difficulty jumps all over the place. I'm all ok taking on
werewolves
and then WTF crazy insane
baby Dragon
, and my level seven/eight guys are just pissing themselves. It took me like twenty tries and sheer goddamn luck to take the beast down. I thought that was difficult, but then I got to some crazy
Magic Demon
further in the dungeon, whom if I tried to approach would
put up a barricade and summon skeletons
. Eventually the only way I found to beat it was by switching all my characters to use bows, which was horribly cumbersome. Maybe I was missing some trick to that battle though, it seemed tricksy like Gollum.

I wonder what bad choices I am making to have such a hard time, when others find the game "easy." Usually Western RPGs are a breeze for me to get a handle on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Party makeup and utilizing skills definitely plays a huge role in how difficult the game is. I am on my second playthrough and just breezing through the hard difficulty (PC). It honestly seems easier than normal because I know how the game works now.

Also, for the most part, it seems like rogues suck ass in this game. They die quickly, don't have a ton of useful utility abilities and unless you went down the dual wield tree they won't do very much damage either. My dual wielding warrior is doing over 60% of total group damage whereas Leliana (I keep her around for lockpicking and stealing) does like 6%.

How do saves work on the console versions? Can you save / load at any time?

Zefah said:
Party makeup and utilizing skills definitely plays a huge role in how difficult the game is. I am on my second playthrough and just breezing through the hard difficulty (PC). It honestly seems easier than normal because I know how the game works now.

Also, for the most part, it seems like rogues suck ass in this game. They die quickly, don't have a ton of useful utility abilities and unless you went down the dual wield tree they won't do very much damage either. My dual wielding warrior is doing over 60% of total group damage whereas Leliana (I keep her around for lockpicking and stealing) does like 6%.

This is where builds make a massive difference. My rogue out-damages everyone in my party and (on Nightmare). But then again, i rarely have anyone die.

As a matter of fact, DPS calculations on the official forums has proven Rogue to have the highest DPS in the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well son of a bitch I should have done the mage tower first. Not only did I get Super Wynne, but theres a bunch of +1 stat items in here.

Amir0x

Banned
Zefah said:

My main character is Dual Wielding, all the time.

I went total Archer with Leliana.

I went Cold-Focused Mage with Morrigan, since that seems to be where the game led me, with a side spec in Healing.

It's Alistar I couldn't decide what to do with. I didn't want to go full one hand crazy with him, I want him to be my tank but he just dies all the time. I'm thinking I'm going to put so much armor on him soon :/

Amir0x

Banned
I have him.

Should he replace Alistar? Shale seems like he'll be really annoying to have around during the story bits :<

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
My main character is Dual Wielding, all the time.

I went total Archer with Leliana.

I went Cold-Focused Mage with Morrigan, since that seems to be where the game led me, with a side spec in Healing.

It's Alistar I couldn't decide what to do with. I didn't want to go full one hand crazy with him, I want him to be my tank but he just dies all the time. I'm thinking I'm going to put so much armor on him soon :/

Dual wielding rogues should be good for DPS, then. Having two rogues is probably where you are going wrong. I can't imagine Leliana is contributing much to your group especially if you are already a rogue.

I definitely agree about Alistair. He seems to just get slaughtered. My main guy in my first playthrough was a sword and board warrior so I made him the main tank, but Alistair was like a wet paper bag when acting as an off-tank. In my current playthrough my main character is a DPS focused dual-wielding warrior so I have been giving the best armor to Alistair, but he still gets the shit pounded out of him. I think I might retire him and give Shale a try as main tank, or just make my main guy the tank even without a shield and be careful about his HP.

LCfiner

Amir0x said:
I have him.

Should he replace Alistar? Shale seems like he'll be really annoying to have around during the story bits :<

He’s a better tank, if that’s what you’re looking for.

I find that Alister has died too often when attempting to use him as a tank. I either have to heal him constantly or set him up to chug potions constantly. Shale, on the other hand is much more… sturdy.

I went to the Arl's place first and I'm really regretting it.

I can get about what I assume is halfway through the castle until I enter an arena-like area outside. In there, a big armored enemy called, I think, Revnant tears me apart, but not before all the undead/skeletons get their licks in. I'm about level 7 across the board, should I retreat and try elsewhere for now or is there a super secret weakness that helps?

Amir0x

Banned
Leliana isn't a Rogue though, she's an Archer in my game.

But Shale... it's not that I don't see his potential it's that...

fuck me he's got an annoying wry personality that's going to kill any semblance of atmosphere the game has. He's just irritating. Alistar at least seems tone-appropriate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Playing on a console version, the tough battles can be pretty frustrating because it's almost impossible to control my party members. The whole process of hitting a shoulder button and targeting an enemy and selecting a talent or attack takes way to much time for just one move, so most of the time I just let them do their own thing and just control my own character. Alistar goes down really fast, Zevram helps but he doesn't last long either, so it almost always ends up just me (warrior) and Morrigan taking on the tougher foes. I'd swap Alistar for Shale but as cool as Shale is, I can't deal with the "thud thud thud thud thud thud thud....".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

fuck me he's got an annoying wry personality that's going to kill any semblance of atmosphere the game has. He's just irritating. Alistar at least seems tone-appropriate.

I kept Alistair around because I liked him even though he couldn't tank for shit. I really enjoy having him around for story moments and it just makes sense to be traveling with him since he is the other Grey Warden.

Amir0x said:

Shale is better than every other tank you could possibly make. Just look at stone aura.

ShockingAlberto said:

I can get about what I assume is halfway through the castle until I enter an arena-like area outside. In there, a big armored enemy called, I think, Revnant tears me apart, but not before all the undead/skeletons get their licks in. I'm about level 7 across the board, should I retreat and try elsewhere for now or is there a super secret weakness that helps?

Get outta there. Go to the tower and get Wynne asap.

LCfiner

Shale and Morrigan have some interesting banter, if that helps.

He doesn’t bother me any more than HK-47 did in Kotor. which is to say, I like him quite a bit.

ShockingAlberto said:

Make sure to open the gate to let the guards in, I think the lever is right next to it. I didn't have much trouble taking down the Revenant with my party and the guards all ganging up on it.

Amir0x

Banned
Zefah said:
I kept Alistair around because I liked him even though he couldn't tank for shit. I really enjoy having him around for story moments and it just makes sense to be traveling with him since he is the other Grey Warden.

Exactly! It makes sense! I wonder if there's any way I can work him up to be a good tank, but it's gonna take a lot of work :<

I wish they didn't make Shale so retarded :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah that Revenant is a total badass. I would recommend sending your party up to take out the skeleton archers while the castle guards get obliterated by the Revenant before taking him on directly. Heal often and quickly and try not to let anyone drop below half health. If you have the cold blast spell, use that as often as possible to freeze him and prevent some of his damage if only for a couple of seconds.

Amir0x said:
Exactly! It makes sense! I wonder if there's any way I can work him up to be a good tank, but it's gonna take a lot of work :<

I wish they didn't make Shale so retarded :(

He is not retarded, Allister is just that damn well written/voiced.

Vinci

Danish
I've never had an issue with Alistair tanking. For the most part, he fills the role quite well. :\

EDIT: Of course I micromanage the shit out of his activities, but beyond that...

Amir0x

Banned
THE PIGEONS MIGHT BE WATCHING OOO

Shale is a one note joke which completely shatters the illusion of atmosphere the game has :(

Vinci said:
I've never had an issue with Alistair tanking. For the most part, he fills the role quite well. :\

EDIT: Of course I micromanage the shit out of his activities, but beyond that...

Me too. As a matter of fact, i control him more than my rogue.

Aedile

ShockingAlberto said:

This is what I did on my abortive first playthrough, when I didn't have a very good group or really know what I was doing. A group with 2-3 mages can steamroll this (and every other) fight, but if you don't have that, it's still doable.

1. When you come out the door into the courtyard, hug the wall to your right that goes to the right side of the stairs. Put your party in HALT mode, then have one character inch to the edge of the stairs, which will spawn the skeleton archers up top. Then pull that character back and the skeletons will follow him and you can take them out.

2. After they're dead, have a character stealth over to the switch that opens the gate. (You can do it without stealth but you'll grab aggro.) The knights will enter and engage the revenant and his retinue. Bring your guys over and do likewise. You don't want anyone besides your tank in melee range with the revenant because he has a damaging aura. If you have Morrigan or your MC is a mage, keep up as many debuffs on the revenant as possible. With Vulnerability Hex on him, it's possible for him to eat a full duration freeze.

Vinci

Danish
lorddarkflare said:
Me too. As a matter of fact, i control him more than my rogue.

Well I don't do that. I always default to control the rogue in the party. I just pause the game whenever I see Alistair, well... do anything I wouldn't want him to do. Basically I babysit him and wait for the gambit system to fuck up.

Vinci said:
Well I don't do that. I always default to control the rogue in the party. I just pause the game whenever I see Alistair, well... do anything I wouldn't want him to do. Basically I babysit him and wait for the gambit system to fuck up.

Gambits do not fuck up, the player fucks up. Speaking of which, how dumb was it that we did not get all 25 of them off the bat?

Tokubetsu

Zefah said:

I always get sad when I look at my heroic accomplishments, and my rogue is only contributing something like, 36% of damage done to enemies. This is dual wield spec with some into assassination.

Vinci

Danish
lorddarkflare said:
Gambits do not fuck up, the player fucks up. Speaking of which, how dumb was it that we did not get all 25 of them off the bat?

I'm speaking in reference to early on in the game when you don't get very many of them. And yes, that's dumb. I'm a FF XII vet; I love the damn things.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Amir0x said:
I have him.

There's nothing annoying about shale, shale is awesome.
And later in the game, you'll probably find morrigan more annoying, especially when you try to do quests. Also, some more advice, going to the mage tower and acquiring 'wynee' might help, she's the healer npc of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I do agree that Shale, while humorous, does seem a bit out of place given the atmosphere of the game.

epmode

Zefah said:
I do agree that Shale, while humorous, does seem a bit out of place given the atmosphere of the game.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Shale's just as bored by the cliched scenarios as I am.

ONLY HALF-JOKING.

Zeliard

Zefah said:

I think he along with guys like Oghren and Zevran bring some levity to an otherwise often-stuffy, self-serious tone.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zefah said:
Well, it's not like the game doesn't have it fair share of humor with other characters such as Alistair & zervan morrigan etc.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Shale's just as bored by the cliched scenarios as I am.

ONLY HALF-JOKING.
:lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
Amir0x said:
THE PIGEONS MIGHT BE WATCHING OOO

Shale is a one note joke which completely shatters the illusion of atmosphere the game has :(

I love the Shale humor, it's a lot more than just bird humor. The backstory is quite good as well.

Fredescu

I didn't find the atmosphere a strong point in the game. Shale is a great character and has some excellent banter. Leliana is going to buy him some
ankle slimming red shoes!

Zeliard said:
Well, there's nothing forcing you to accept every quest out there, particularly when you can read the job board quest descriptions before you accept them. Why not just ignore the fetch quests?
Yes, which was my point. I picked up every quest, but didn't bother with the fetch quests that had me going somewhere I wasn't going anyway, and I ended up with the 75% sidequests achievement. I don't know if most people end up with that one or not.

I do wish I could remove or abandon the quests I have no intention of completing, or the ones the game won't let me complete (one side of the Orzammar quest, the Wardens Keep info quest, Exotic Methods).

clashfan

Playing the 360 on normal but I seem to be dying alot. It just seems like the random battles are really tough. Sorry to ask again but how do I train while in camp?

Amir0x said:
I have him.

Personally, I think he's the most hilarious right behind Morrigan+Alistair combo

Visceir

Amir0x said:
also this game is killing me on hard. I am playing 360 version but I feel like I'm just missing something essential.

I am constantly switching control around my group, to heal up the assholes who typically go down in fights in seconds. I've got The Main Character (City Elf Rogue), with Alistar, Morrigan and Leliana. Alistar seems to have the biggest problem staying alive... I don't know if I should just impede the shit out of him with heavy armor or what.

And the difficulty swings wildly at the craziest times. I was on the
trail for the Sacred Urn
, and I decided not to help
the cult
. All throughout the dungeon, pretty easy. Just take the
Drakes down one at a time
. But, once I had to fight
Kolgrim and his group? Fuuuuck! It ended with all of my characters dead except Morrigan, who won the battle only by being chased throughout the entire length of the dungeon, sporadically shooting ice at Kolgrimm until he died.

And in the
Elf Forest
, which is the first place I went after the City Elf Origin story, goddamn the difficulty jumps all over the place. I'm all ok taking on
werewolves
and then WTF crazy insane
baby Dragon
, and my level seven/eight guys are just pissing themselves. It took me like twenty tries and sheer goddamn luck to take the beast down. I thought that was difficult, but then I got to some crazy
Magic Demon
further in the dungeon, whom if I tried to approach would
put up a barricade and summon skeletons
. Eventually the only way I found to beat it was by switching all my characters to use bows, which was horribly cumbersome. Maybe I was missing some trick to that battle though, it seemed tricksy like Gollum.

I wonder what bad choices I am making to have such a hard time, when others find the game "easy." Usually Western RPGs are a breeze for me to get a handle on.

Seems like you're playing the game in the same order as I did. I had major problems in the werewolf dungeon too, to the point where I thought I took the wrong path because beating the enemies seemed impossible (and I played the PC version). It felt damn good once I finally did it though.

The game got a lot easier when I got the
healer from the mage tower.
But I didn't enjoy it as much after that anymore, for some odd reason. Getting Sleep and Nightmare for Morrigan helps too.

bjaelke

Hard and Nightmare requires you to pick up alchemy with one of your characters. I consume a lot of potions because Morrigan is my only "healer".

Top Bottom