• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

OK GAF, this is in my home today (I'm at work). I am thinking of playing as a rogue or a mage. I always play mage in my first run through anything, so I wanted to mix it up. Does a rogue allow you to do awesome things that other characters can't? Will he dazzle me with superhuman feats?

koji

malingenie said:
OK GAF, this i in my home today (I'm at work). I am thinking of playing as a rogue or a mage. I always play mage in my first run through anything, so I wanted to mix it up. Does a rogue allow you to do awesome things that other characters can't? Will he dazzle me with superhuman feats?

Rogue is pretty awesome imo, you have to decide on a "heavy" utility or a combat build though. I have two rogues in my party atm, me as combat rogue and another one (archer/lockpicker). You get stealth, traps, bombs, poison, dmg, can wear plate if you want, sky is the limit with the rogue archtype, you just have to pick your abilities for it :)

+ you can use "persuasion" (coercion) based on your cunning, as opposed to intimidation based on strength, can be pretty useful in certain dialogues

The dualwield line of skills is amazing if you take certain skills (momentum is great + dual weapon mastery I think it's called)

Anso

Yeah Shale's THE best meat shield (sans meat). I even used the stance where Shale just freezes but gives HUGE bonuses :3

malingenie said:
OK GAF, this is in my home today (I'm at work). I am thinking of playing as a rogue or a mage. I always play mage in my first run through anything, so I wanted to mix it up. Does a rogue allow you to do awesome things that other characters can't? Will he dazzle me with superhuman feats?
You get characters of every variety, so technically no. But still yes. Rogues are great. Playing as a mage is basically cheating anyway.

Shale was an excellent tank for me. I tried to use him as often as I could.
Does Shale's electricity damage gems damage ap/mana like the spells do? That would seem absurd to the max.

Speaking of which, I was able to do Morrigan's quest without Wynne just by throwing a Shale/Zev/Alistar melee clusterfuck at it. I never used Zev, so I just dumped 7 levels of stats into constitution and made him a Ranger. Which my PC already was. We just kept bears summoned and quaffed pots at leisure. Didn't take more than 10 normal pots to finish her. Bears are awesome. Shale is awesome. Well, that and basically the entire game seems easy because I fought a High Dragon at the end of my very first quest.

Dunlop

Anso said:
Yeah Shale's THE best meat shield (sans meat). I even used the stance where Shale just freezes but gives HUGE bonuses :3

Don't have Shale yet but good to hear as I find Allister suck donkey balls as a tank. My DW warrior with leather armor seems to be better at it. I am 1 level away from him being able to wear dragon armor, so maybe that will help

Amneisac

Fuck Bioware and their masterful use of DLC. Going into the game I was like "Man, I don't need Warden's Keep, this game is already 50-100 hours."

FIRST TIME I get to the player camp I see the guy with the quest icon, start talking to him, I'm thinking "this sounds interesting" and then BOOM! [download additional content] pops up and I realize what they just did to me.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the DLC? I felt like it was kind of short on content for $7 but I haven't done anything past
Clearing out the keep and killing the Desire Spirit thing

Absolutely loving this game though. Picked up the PC version, I was a little worried about it running on my computer but I have all the settings maxed at 1680x1050 and it the frame rate is smooth (haven't tried 1900x1200 yet but I doubt it will be as smooth).

I downloaded the respec mod, so far I've only used it for my main guy, but I am thinking about respecing some of the other people, too. I don't know why they don't let you spend the points when people join your party like they do in ME.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Amneisac said:
Anyways, what do you guys think of the DLC? I felt like it was kind of short on content for $7 but I haven't done anything past

Your paying 7 bucks basically for a
new character Shale
I had to get the collectors edition bc best buy didn't have any others (pc) I doubt I would have spent 7 bucks on it if I had regular edition.

Personally I don't like the way BioWare put a DLC shill in my camp. I'll live with it just fine though because I love the game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Amneisac said:

Warden's Keep is worth it for the chest and also the
Starfang
, which I believe is one of the
most powerful one-handed swords
in the game. And it explains why the Wardens were exiled from Ferelden, so for people who are interested in the lore, it's basically a must-have. I don't like the way they sell the DLC from within the game, but I avoided the hard-sell from the quest-giver by buying it before I got to the camp for the first time.

Dynoro

Amneisac said:
I think it was a pretty big ripoff tbh; the keep took an hour max to do and didn't really add much
though the blood potion was a nice idea
. If they add any other DLC I hope its a bit more substantial.

Pretty impressed by Shale though; there's a lot of dialogue for an addon and even throwaway phrases during quests which I didn't expect

Anso

luxarific said:
Warden's Keep is worth it for the chest and also the
Starfang
, which I believe is one of the
most powerful one-handed swords
in the game. And it explains why the Wardens were exiled from Ferelden, so for people who are interested in the lore, it's basically a must-have. I don't like the way they sell the DLC from within the game, but I avoided the hard-sell from the quest-giver by buying it before I got to the camp for the first time.

I didn't get
Starfang
D:<

Also, Shale is worth the money. Really. Like, REALLY.

KHarvey16

RbBrdMan said:
Your paying 7 bucks basically for a
new character Shale
I had to get the collectors edition bc best buy didn't have any others (pc) I doubt I would have spent 7 bucks on it if I had regular edition.

Personally I don't like the way BioWare put a DLC shill in my camp. I'll live with it just fine though because I love the game.

You're confusing your DLC. The
new character
comes with the DLC included in every new copy of the game.

AshMcCool

Hey, I beat the Human Noble Storyline, a few days ago, and just now I realized that I totally forgot about
looking for my brother. What happend to him? Never saw him again? WTF, Bioware you forgot him, too? Doesn't makes a lot of sense that there isn't a quest about him

And btw. realeasing DLC on the same Day as the main game is SOOOO not cool. At least pretend you need time to finish it, Bioware.

KHarvey16

Doc Evils said:
Yeah where is it?

You get it through a
random encounter while you map travel. A cutscene will play where a couple picks up a kid who seemingly came in on a meteorite(superman!) and you can walk into the crater and loot some special metal. You bring it to the smith in Warden's Keep and he makes Starfang.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
KHarvey16 said:
You're confusing your DLC. The
new character
comes with the DLC included in every new copy of the game.

Ahh... I do get confused. All this DLC and Bonuses. Remember the chart that was posted about 10 pages backs? Yea, obviously I don't. :lol

Anso

AshMcCool said:
Hey, I beat the Human Noble Storyline, a few days ago, and just now I realized that I totally forgot about
looking for my brother. What happend to him? Never saw him again? WTF, Bioware you forgot him, too? Doesn't makes a lot of sense that there isn't a quest about him

And btw. realeasing DLC on the same Day as the main game is SOOOO not cool. At least pretend you need time to finish it, Bioware.

He's there when you've finished the game (assuming you didn't die, sacrificing yourself). He's chillin' in Denerim, apparently he just got there.

Anso

KHarvey16 said:
You get it through a
random encounter while you map travel. A cutscene will play where a couple picks up a kid who seemingly came in on a meteorite(superman!) and you can walk into the crater and loot some special metal. You bring it to the smith in Warden's Keep and he makes Starfang.

Aw ffs, that cutscene was bugged for me, suddenly there was a couple on screen and then I left the map D:

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Doc Evils said:
Yeah where is it?

It's not in the Keep area (at least it wasn't for me). This is where I found it (it's a random encounter, I think). From the Keep, click on the Forest to travel there. On the road south, just around Denerim, there's a random encounter where you'll come across
an old man and an old woman and a big chunk of metal
. Enjoy watching the encounter and bring that
chunk of metal back to the smith at the Keep (this is after you've finished going through it and your chest opens up). He will make Starfang for you.

EDIT: whoops, beaten.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Dont forget you can get a 1 handed or 2 handed version of Starfang, depending on what you ask for.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
AshMcCool said:

Re the Human Noble origin story/ending: I was a guy and I chose to
sacrifice myself at the end. When Alistair was giving his appreciation eulogy at the end, he calls my brother up to the bier my character's body is lying on and awards him Arl Howe's lands, in addition to those he would have received anyway as the heir to the Cousland estate. You don't learn how he survived the battle at Ostagar, but he does survive

Deacan said:
Dont forget you can get a 1 handed or 2 handed version of Starfang, depending on what you ask for.

That's true, my bad! ^_^;

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dunlop said:
Don't have Shale yet but good to hear as I find Allister suck donkey balls as a tank. My DW warrior with leather armor seems to be better at it. I am 1 level away from him being able to wear dragon armor, so maybe that will help

Dual wield warrior > Alistair > Shale, when it comes to tanking. Shale has the worst defense rating on my team, lol.

Doc Evils

KHarvey16 said:
You get it through a

when does this happen? I'm 55 hours into the game.

luxarific said:
It's not in the Keep area (at least it wasn't for me). This is where I found it (it's a random encounter, I think). From the Keep, click on the Forest to travel there. On the road south, just around Denerim, there's a random encounter where you'll come across
an old man and an old woman and a big chunk of metal
. Enjoy watching the encounter and bring that
chunk of metal back to the smith at the Keep (this is after you've finished going through it and your chest opens up). He will make Starfang for you.

EDIT: whoops, beaten.

ah thanks.

Anso

Woo-Fu said:
Dual wield warrior > Alistair > Shale, when it comes to tanking. Shale has the worst defense rating on my team, lol.

You're doing it wrong :'(

EDIT: Also, Arcane Warrior > everyone.

orion434

Woo-Fu said:

I don't have a Dual Weild Warrior, but I find Alistair's Defensive tactics better than Shale's... with 1-handed with Shield and proper Runes, Alistair Paralizes, Slows down & knocks everyone to the ground, then my 3 ranged attackers mop-up everything else.

Woo-Fu said:

Don't forget about Stone Aura. Rank up that skill chain and mobs go down in a snap.

luxarific said:
Re the Human Noble origin story/ending: I was a guy and I chose to
sacrifice myself at the end. When Alistair was giving his appreciation eulogy at the end, he calls my brother up to the bier my character's body is lying on and awards him Arl Howe's lands, in addition to those he would have received anyway as the heir to the Cousland estate. You don't learn how he survived the battle at Ostagar, but he does survive

Wow, that's interesting, I just finished my second playthrough and maybe it's because I was a girl, but
Alistair wouldn't let me do it and sacrificed himself instead. I still got the trophy though.

I didn't get the Traveler trophy though even though I had 95% of the world explored and have no idea what I missed so that kinda sucks.

Benson said:
Has anyone watched the out-takes segment on the CE bonus DVD? Alistair romancing a darkspawn made me :lol

I know what I'm doing later.

Minsc

Gold Member
Benson said:
Has anyone watched the out-takes segment on the CE bonus DVD? Alistair romancing a darkspawn made me :lol

How do you get your CE content from Steam anyway? That reminded me I'm due a soundtrack and a few other tidbits.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Benson said:

I was a little disappointed with the video outtakes actually. Voice acting outtakes >>>>> game glitches (which were the majority of the outtakes file) any day.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Peronthious said:
Don't forget about Stone Aura. Rank up that skill chain and mobs go down in a snap.

I haven't, but I was talking about Shale's effectiveness as a tank. Shale has all his skills at this point anyways.

Anso said:
You're doing it wrong :'(
Set him to defensive and he still has less defense than a dual-wield warrior or a 1h+shield warrior, it is as simple as that. Sure, if you just need aggro-generation he does very well, lol. What he needs are some armor gems that increase physical defense. Maybe those exist and I haven't found them.

Before people using him just fine as a tank get their panties in a wad, please realize it is just a matter of degree. Just because he works fine for you doesn't mean there are no better tanks out there. :)

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Ernt physical defense just against Knockdowns and stuns.

Stratman

Neo Member
Finally remembered to equip Sten's sword which opened up a new dialogue tree, but I chose the wrong response by mistake before it got interesting. Bah humbug.

Krackatoa

Yeah, Alistair's Sword And Board skills, coupled with end-game armor and items make him far better than Shale for straight up tanking.

Once you get to Orzammar, get Alistair the Lifegiver ring for an absolutely massive health boost, then side with Caradin to unlock Shale's final questline, do it, and you'll find a +12 Con, -3 Strength, -3 Willpower amulet on an enemy. Alistair now has +50 Constitution, +450 HP, immunity to knockdowns, and a whopping resistance to all physical and mental effects. Enemies will rarely hit him, and when they do, fodder enemies only do 1 damage, while Elites will do 10-20 tops. This is on Hard.

yacobod

Banned
i've completed warden's keep, shale, mage tower, dalish, redcliffe, flemeth, recovering the urn, and a lot of stuff in denerim and i still have not got the starfang random encounter for the meteorite, pretty lame as i'm in the process of finishing off the dwarves

so much for random encounters

As I am going through the game I am enjoying the dog alot, he can take a beating and once he learns the takedown move is just plain good. I hope there are more dog fans out there.

I gave my dog the macho name of Titan :D

Acidote

But you don't get exp when the killing blow is made by:

Other mobs -> wolves killing darkspawn even when you almost entirely killed it.
Non permanent characters -> Those characters you get to use early in the game but you won't use anymore, if the final hit is made by them, you won't get exp either.

Just started with a female elf mage. Finished the origin story, which I thought was a little bland, but I knew that going in.
Does it make a difference if you reveal what Jowan is doing to the First Enchanter?
I'm so far very impressed with the gameplay mechanics, which also isn't a surprise, given how much I love Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect :lol

PS3 graphics are crisp and clean, but there are definitely framerate issues. Walking through one of the large halls, the screen was stuttering more than should be acceptable this gen. It doesn't bother me, but that doesn't make it right :D

Looking forward to play more!

tuco11

Havent been following this thread so please forgive. Picking this up tonight. Own both PS3 & 360 can someone give me the pros and cons of which one to get? Ps. No console bias here just looking for the best version.

thanks.

poweld

Not to crap up the thread too much with PC hardware talk, but...

My machine is a decent rig; Q6600@ 3.12 Ghz and a 8800GT 512MB. I can run most games at high settings at 1920x1200 with good framerate. Dragon Age's outdoor areas, however, net me framerates between 20-30 fps.

Has anyone else noticed this game in particular being more demanding? I've got the settings on 1920x1200 on high with no AA.

Thanks in advance.

tuco11 said:
Havent been following this thread so please forgive. Picking this up tonight. Own both PS3 & 360 can someone give me the pros and cons of which one to get? Ps. No console bias here just looking for the best version.

thanks.

This is a super common question. I have at this point seen them both. The rumors that the PS3 has better textures (it looks "cleaner") while the 360 sports the better framerate as always are true in my opinion.

tuco11 said:

thanks.

I have the PS3 version - the framerate isn't great, but not deal breaking. Improved textures is worth it, IMO. If I wanted ugly textures, I'd go play Morrowind :lol (despite all of its other rarely replicated achievements)

Top Bottom