• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I'm so close to picking this up for my PS3 or 360. Anyone have any details that they feel could push me over the edge? I can't decide between this and Assassin's Creed 2.

I apologize for not going back and reading this entire thread, but how do the 2 versions of Dragon Age (PS3 and 360) stack up against each other?

Thanks...

CriscoDisco said:
I'm so close to picking this up for my PS3 or 360. Anyone have any details that they feel could push me over the edge? I can't decide between this and Assassin's Creed 2.

I apologize for not going back and reading this entire thread, but how do the 2 versions of Dragon Age (PS3 and 360) stack up against each other?

Thanks...

To be honest I don't know if AC2 has a Black Friday sale, if your in the U.S. . Dragon Age is going to be $39.99 at a few locations I think. Keep that in mind.

RPGCrazied

hypostatic said:
Is Warden's Keep worth it?

I have yet to get that one, one hour sounds pretty short.. I know its 7$, but dunno.

Wish we could get something like shivering isles, but I doubt it. I have lvl20 templar/reaver, and a 14 assassin/duelist

Anerythristic said:
To be honest I don't know if AC2 has a Black Friday sale, if your in the U.S. . Dragon Age is going to be $39.99 at a few locations I think. Keep that in mind.

Thanks. I'm not sure that money is any sort of issue in this case. I have kids and a wife so my gaming time is limited at best. I just have a difficult time deciding what's worth my time sometimes.

Amneisac

hypostatic said:
Is Warden's Keep worth it?

The top of the page you posted on has a lot of people talking about the DLC, I basically asked what other people thought of it after I bought it.

It is definitely short, but it's god some good story filler and there are some items you get. If you really like the game, I'd pick it up.

nubbe

Time to get to know the real story of the game.

21objt.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Woo-Fu said:
Dual wield warrior > Alistair > Shale, when it comes to tanking. Shale has the worst defense rating on my team, lol.

Yeah, Shale take a lot of damage compared to my Allistor. I guess those hp regen crystals are what people use for him. He can get up to about 10hp regen in battle from crystals + natural regen.

Tokubetsu

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yeah, Shale take a lot of damage compared to my Allistor. I guess those hp regen crystals are what people use for him. He can get up to about 10hp regen in battle from crystals + natural regen.

Thing is though, end game Alistair with right gear/items still beats the shit out of him. Alistair is still a much better tank.

Tom Penny

What a usual character level when the game is over? It appears I'm near the end of the game and I thought it would be much longer. Is there a new game +?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alistair is just a boring dude to me though so I dumped his ass early. Rockin Me (Warrior, sword+shield), Morrigan (cold spells), dog, and Shale right now with now regard for game strategy whatsoever but I've done all the side quests, read every book, and opened every chest so far so not really running into any problems (playin on Normal of course). Just the way I like it.... I use a shitton of potions of course with that lineup.

Tokubetsu

Tom Penny said:
What a usual character level when the game is over? It appears I'm near the end of the game and I thought it would be much longer. Is there a new game +?

You can be anywhere from lvl 12/13-20 when you finish. I finished at 20 with 55hours and 22 minutes played. Granted, I think I did more sidequests than most people.

Ploid 3.0

Tokubetsu said:
Thing is though, end game Alistair with right gear/items still beats the shit out of him. Alistair is still a much better tank.

Yea My Alistair is very tweaked for tanking. I'm like level 17 now, and I have all of the good shield upgrades, a great shield, a lot of armor, and a lot of physical resist/mind resist. His templar abilities, with champion abilities makes Shale's limited stuff seem weaker. Shale can get knocked down easier than al due to his low physical resist. You can't seem to add a lot of physical resist like you can for gearable characters (the 2 crystal system is limited).

AshMcCool said:
Strange thing I noticed while playing the game: Gore is a lot easier to swallow in a fantasy setting than in any other.
I don't mind the ulta violent finishing moves and blood spraying everywhere but the 'it's lightly raining blood outside' blood splatter on the character models is really silly. No idea how that got into the final build

Tokubetsu

ElectricBlue187 said:
I don't mind the ulta violent finishing moves and blood spraying everywhere but the 'it's lightly raining blood outside' blood splatter on the character models is really silly. No idea how that got into the final build

It's pretty ridiculous in cutscenes, At least let them wipe off their face or something but I do wish you could get bloodier...like in some cutscenes where a character kills an gore etc and are literally soaked in it.

Tom Penny said:

Low 20s. There's no new game+ per se, but there are the other starting origins to play and each area has basically a different set of choices that can be taken to see different outcomes. You can also up the difficultly next play through to better tax your now-veteran skills.

orion434

Tom Penny said:

From what I've heard ( haven't beaten it yet ) when you learn a Spealization it will carry over to any new character you start. You don't get your first point until lv 7 but it sounds like the 2nd or 3rd character will have more options.

Philthy

Tenkai Star said:
My PC can basically rn anything except Crysis on max. But I don't really care about graphics. So if the controls are good I'll go for the PS3 version cause my couch is a lot more comfy than my chair.

Mouse and keyboard support would have been awesome though.

I usually go console 100% of the time, but went PC for this since it resembles BG2 so much.

Haven't regretted it for a moment.

I wish you could read the codex online so that I can read it on my iPhone when I can't play the game. That would be easy to implement I think and very neat if they could tie it into the game (only show codex you've picked up in game, mark as read those you read out of the game)

Philthy said:
I usually go console 100% of the time, but went PC for this since it resembles BG2 so much.

Haven't regretted it for a moment.

Between the almost certainty of mods on the PC version-I'm expecting that DA will get a following about on par with Oblivion-and the huge extra gameplay depth provided through the isometric tactical combat, this is definitely a case where getting the console version is a last, desperate measure.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is having two mages in the active party a bad idea? Morrigan and Wynne seems like a good idea on paper...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ElectricBlue187 said:
I wish you could read the codex online so that I can read it on my iPhone when I can't play the game. That would be easy to implement I think and very neat if they could tie it into the game (only show codex you've picked up in game, mark as read those you read out of the game)
That would be great. In game I'm always just itching to get to the next thing so I almost never bother anymore.

Philthy

dreamer3kx said:
Fucking circle of magi, fucking fade.....uhhhhhh.

You know, I sort of hated this at first, but when you start progressing and you unlock stuff, it got really freaking fun.

I mean, REALLY fun.

The way they sort of tossed this game on its side with this quest line made me love this game even more than I already did.

Wiggum2007

Tokubetsu said:
It's pretty ridiculous in cutscenes, At least let them wipe off their face or something but I do wish you could get bloodier...like in some cutscenes where a character kills an gore etc and are literally soaked in it.

I laughed out loud at the end of the mage origin when
the blood mage stabs himself in the hand and he's suddenly completely covered in blood :lol

dreamer3kx said:
Fucking circle of magi, fucking fade.....uhhhhhh.

hahahha. I had same frustration two days ago. Haven't finished fade yet. Reward is good though.

I thought saving a boy is gonna be minor sidequest. :lol

Zod the Bear said:
Hated it on the first playthrough, but on subsequent ones, it didn't seem as terrible. Could run through pretty quick.

That's because you know exactly where to go in repeat playthrough.

JayDubya

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
Do your party members gain levels when not in your active party?

Here's how it works.

What level is your main character?

Everyone else is at least Level-1, at 0 xp towards the next level.

If they are less than this, going to camp will set them to this minimum. If they are more than this, as long as they don't leave your active party, they can stay above this threshold.

My Lei and Wynne are about up to par with main character since they've never left my party since becoming available. The other spot rotates out.

Correction: Lei left one time - the final bit of The Deep Roads, since you HAVE to have Oghren and you really WANT to have Shale. Tried to to do it without Wynne but the cost in potions got a bit ridiculous - was more effective to use Shale in the Lei support role, sans lockpicking (and going back later with Lei).

g23

European pre-madonna
Ouch, eurogamer gave the console version a 6/10 mainly because of the interface and control issues? are the controls really that frustrating or is it just eurogamer being eurogamer?

g23 said:
Ouch, eurogamer gave the console version a 6/10 mainly because of the interface and control issues? are the controls really that frustrating or is it just eurogamer being eurogamer?

There is a learning curve. It's clunky, by Level 6 though you should handle it just fine. I actually appriciate how fast I can pause with the shoulder button.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
g23 said:

Eurogamer being Eurogamer. I played it, finished it and will go back to replaying it on the 360. It was fine, had a great time, was never frustrated by the controls.

After the serial atrocities that were both of their Risen reviews, I wouldn't trust Eurogamer to review a CRPG (regardless of platform) ever again.

Arde5643

g23 said:
eurogamer gave the PC version 8/10 so it's just eurogamer being *"eurogamer".

*: being dicks, basically

Agree with those not feeling the Shale love. He was level 11 when I picked him up and by that point, if you've been using him and aren't utterly terrible at picking tanking talents, Alistair is a significantly better tank. He does way more damage, even in defensive modes, and those modes make him way more hardy than Shale. And he has an AOE dispel? It's no contest.

Sten is quite good at holding threat and doing DPS but Alistair just has the best balance between damage, defence and aggro. I do love Sten though. The best way to improve his disposition towards you is to never take any of his guff, like the exchange I had yesterday (paraphrased):

Sten: How will you end this Blight?
Me: By killing the archdemon.
Sten: But it is surrounded by an ocean of darkspawn? I wonder if you are indeed a grey warden as you say. Such legends we have heard.
Me: Like what?
Sten: Peerless warriors and strategists. So far, I am not impressed.
Me: I'm not here to impress you.
Sten: Very well. But it still remains to be seen what you are here for.

Sten approves +6 :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
I thought the Fade bit was quite fun, once I had a couple forms unlocked. Going in there as a rogue pre-patch, pre-dagger hotfix was a bit of a pain at first, though.

Son of Godzilla said:
Don't understand the complaints at all. Was awesome. People were complaining about not knowing where to go? What? It's insanely straight forward...

My complaint is not knowing where to go really, I just hate the area, its a bore for me at least.

Son of Godzilla said:
Don't understand the complaints at all. Was awesome. People were complaining about not knowing where to go? What? It's insanely straight forward...

My major complaint was simply that it felt out of place. It's a deceptively linear fetch quest that makes me feel like I'm playing a Zelda game, and I hate Zelda games.

Mashing

Deacan said:
Dont forget you can get a 1 handed or 2 handed version of Starfang, depending on what you ask for.

Goddamn this sword is the shit. I gave it to my tank warrior and he tanks and dps'es like mad. He's a one man wrecking machine.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Son of Godzilla said:
It's a nice concept that goes on too long. The number of areas should've been cut in half.

Fredescu

The Fade was great. I'm just starting it again on my second playthrough. You can have so much fun with the different forms. I think it's my favourite of the main quests, probably tied with the Urn quest.

iam220

jim-jam bongs said:
Sten: How will you end this Blight?
Me: By killing the archdemon.
Sten: But it is surrounded by an ocean of darkspawn? I wonder if you are indeed a grey warden as you say. Such legends we have heard.
Me: Like what?
Sten: Peerless warriors and strategists. So far, I am not impressed.
Me: I'm not here to impress you.
Sten: Very well. But it still remains to be seen what you are here for.

Sten approves +6 :lol

Hey wtf .. I went through the exact same dialogue with him just yesterday and only got a +1.

Eh. That whole quest was getting on my nerves by then and an unnecessary and random aside that is basically a gaming soliloquy just made me roll my eyes. If I wanted to play alone, I would have just not taken my party with me in to the tower (assuming you can do that, I've never tried since I don't like to play alone).

Top Bottom